Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's as if they all have the same rule book...what to do to avoid the needle...
Does it cost more to incarcerate animals/sorry, that's defamation to animals.... than to execute them?? Don't know..anybody??

Yes, and their personal life was very similar too.
Adopted, never knew biological dad, abused and lashed out as teen, joined the military, finding of one body lead to the discovery of a previous victim as well as others, the story of the victim overpowering them for the knife, the high iq, the scitzophrenia, Hilton had it and so did Brandons father, the overall thinking.

When Brandon said he knew how much he was like "others out there" I wonder which killers he was referring to. Was he referring to this guy, Gary Hilton? It wouldn't surprise me.

I feel the BSL as a victim case should have been further investigated as there were many red flags, especially with him being "uncooperative" AND
He had multiple stab wounds! If this happened at a gas station, an ambulance would have been called, there would have been witnesses ... KWIM? NOPD investigators questioned him for 2+ hours (per BSL) and then a deputy was called in. The police dept, sheriff's dept and hospital security received reports. A license check should have shown he was a RSO (that is if he told them his correct name). Did he have insurance? How was this bill paid and in who's name? He had to show ID, and if his license was stolen, proof of insurance and/or VIN would have worked. IDK, maybe LE was too busy to deal with him and didn't really care about what happened to him? Esp. since he is an out of towner. Maybe they see this sort of situation often, IDK. Yes, It was too early for a connection to be made with Mickey, during the ER visit.

But, I would think the hospital and both agencies rec'd a BOLO notification of a missing college girl within a day or so of this incident ... and I am surprised it didn't raise any red flags for anyone - New Orleans is not that far from Lafayette. JMO

Have you guys been in an ER? Much less an ER in New Orleans? Craziness. It's easy to miss things, easy to let things slip. There were probably many other crazy things going on at the same time that were much more important and at that time police were more needed for. Its the norm for patients to lie to the doctors and police, it's often you don't know the whole story. If ever case like this was investigated then you'd need a full staff of police just working the hospital. It's just not possible. Plus news hadn't gotten out about Mickey being missing yet, especially not in New Orleans. The dots just didn't have enough time or evidence to be connected yet.

Have you guys been in an ER? Much less an ER in New Orleans? Craziness. It's easy to miss things, easy to let things slip. There were probably many other crazy things going on at the same time that were much more important and at that time police were more needed for. Its the norm for patients to lie to the doctors and police, it's often you don't know the whole story. If ever case like this was investigated then you'd need a full staff of police just working the hospital. It's just not possible. Plus news hadn't gotten out about Mickey being missing yet, especially not in New Orleans. The dots just didn't have enough time or evidence to be connected yet.

My last visit to the ER was after I had another passing out episode and tumbled down 5 concrete steps and injured my arm, leg and head. I sat in the ER over 12 hours. Next to me was a man with a profusely bleeding head wound which was all over him, the chair he was in and the floor below him. There was a young child pushing a stroller back and forth in the blood dragging it all over the floor.

I went to the bathroom to get some paper towels for the man and found another bloodbath in the bathroom. The best I could do was offer him some toilet paper as he passed in and out of consciousness.The ER waiting room was a mad house, packed with people in varying states of injury and illness.

There was NO staff member monitoring the waiting room, they were all behind a locked doors. There was a gun toting security guard stationed in the waiting room and the TV was blaring a show full of curse words and music with vulgar lyrics. If anyone complained the show to the guard, he just turned it up and told you he would shoot you or call the cops on you for creating a disturbance in HIS waiting room in interrupting his watching of the TV.

Oh it was even worse than the description above, but suffice it to say, you get the picture. I'm sure the hospital BSL went to wasn't that bad but I have no doubts it was crowded as well.

Trials and appeals would easily cost twice or three times that amount. First, the continued investigation, depositions, expert witnesses for both sides because BSL was indigent- the taxpayers would pay for both the prosecution and defense. Then the trial, the sentencing phase and automatic appeals of sentenced to death. Death penalty costs more than LWOP.

This is not a cost issue for me. I'd be willing for the State to incur those costs of pursuing DP. ($23,000/ inflated over 40 years would probably easily equal 2-3 times that $1,000,000 anyway). Having said that, I fully understand the Shunick's desire to negotiate for the body. I'm sure I would want the same in that situation. I just hate that BSL was able to dictate the terms (and apparently even the wording) of the plea.

(7-05-2012 Presser-snipped)
Q&A Session from Thursday's presser:

I will take questions at this time but I want to caution you that because the investigation is ongoing, there is a lot of information that we will not be able to divulge or discuss.

Q: Chief Craft, how did you know that he was in the area where Mickey’s bike was found? What evidence (inaudible)
A: We have some evidence that we can’t divulge at this time but we know, we can place his vehicle in that area at that time.
Q: Chief, was there any type of website or blog or anything that helped to connect you guys to Lavergne or help focus on him?
A: No, the information that came from the citizen is how he came to our attention.

Q: Did that citizen call the tip line?
A: I think that citizen did call the tips line.

NOTE: We don't know who that "citizen" was; for all we know, it could have been someone from the hospital that saw "red flags" and called the tip line. Regardless, I am grateful for whoever made the call. JMO

My last visit to the ER was after I had another passing out episode and tumbled down 5 concrete steps and injured my arm, leg and head. I sat in the ER over 12 hours. Next to me was a man with a profusely bleeding head wound which was all over him, the chair he was in and the floor below him. There was a young child pushing a stroller back and forth in the blood dragging it all over the floor.

I went to the bathroom to get some paper towels for the man and found another bloodbath in the bathroom. The best I could do was offer him some toilet paper as he passed in and out of consciousness.The ER waiting room was a mad house, packed with people in varying states of injury and illness.

There was NO staff member monitoring the waiting room, they were all behind a locked doors. There was a gun toting security guard stationed in the waiting room and the TV was blaring a show full of curse words and music with vulgar lyrics. If anyone complained the show to the guard, he just turned it up and told you he would shoot you or call the cops on you for creating a disturbance in HIS waiting room in interrupting his watching of the TV.

Oh it was even worse than the description above, but suffice it to say, you get the picture. I'm sure the hospital BSL went to wasn't that bad but I have no doubts it was crowded as well.

Sorry to hear about your visit! But yes ER's can be crazy! They are full of truly injured people and they are also full of criminals, drug addicts, and people that don't have anything else to do. It's literally a mad house half the time. Especially at night. So to be surprised that an ER trip isn't organized etc is weird to me since I know the insides of it I guess.

This is not a cost issue for me. I'd be willing for the State to incur those costs of pursuing DP. ($23,000/ inflated over 40 years would probably easily equal 2-3 times that $1,000,000 anyway). Having said that, I fully understand the Shunick's desire to negotiate for the body. I'm sure I would want the same in that situation. I just hate that BSL was able to dictate the terms (and apparently even the wording) of the plea.

I agree with that. I feel like justice was somewhat diminished for Lisa Pate. He didn't have to admit to what he did to her. He was allowed to skate through it and just agree that the state had enough evidence to convict so he's pleading guilty based on that instead of based on his actual guilt. It's BS. I feel like there would have been no justice for Lisa at all without Mickey's murder and that makes me sad. I do wonder what the Grand Jury in Lafayette saw that Grand Jury in St. Landry didn't, if anything. They met to decide on Indicting BSL for Lisa's murder in 2008 and didn't indict. What changed between then and now? Whatever it is, I'm glad it did because Lisa deserved justice just as much as Mickey.

Well I have a feeling little ole' BSL won't be in Louisiana very long. If investigators in Texas find enough evidence to press charges against him he will be extradited to Texas.According to Texas criminal statute, that state reserves the right to extradite an individual back there to face prosecution. If he has ties to Ali's disappearance he will be sorry sitting in the Texas death chamber!

I agree with that. I feel like justice was somewhat diminished for Lisa Pate. He didn't have to admit to what he did to her. He was allowed to skate through it and just agree that the state had enough evidence to convict so he's pleading guilty based on that instead of based on his actual guilt. It's BS. I feel like there would have been no justice for Lisa at all without Mickey's murder and that makes me sad. I do wonder what the Grand Jury in Lafayette saw that Grand Jury in St. Landry didn't, if anything. They met to decide on Indicting BSL for Lisa's murder in 2008 and didn't indict. What changed between then and now? Whatever it is, I'm glad it did because Lisa deserved justice just as much as Mickey.
Lisa did deserve justice, and it was finally granted even if it was almost by default. I totally agree that justice never would have been served for Lisa if BSL had not also murdered Mickey. That makes me sad, too.

Sure, I would've preferred that BSL be forthcoming in Lisa's case, but an explicit recounting of the crime is not a requirement for a guilty plea in Louisiana. So we're left with a halfhearted guilty plea, but guilty just the same. The alternative would have been a murder trial of a 13 year old case with sketchy evidence. LP's family would have been exposed to all of the grisly details, complete with postmortem photos, and experts testifying about the condition of her body and the manner in which the wounds were inflicted. Her name would have been dragged through the mud six ways from Sunday, and the family would be expected to sit through all of it, with no guarantee the jury would return a guilty verdict. Suppose he was acquitted. Can you imagine what a blow that would be? :sheesh:

And, honestly, spending the rest of his natural life on "the Ponderosa" ain't exactly what I'd call skating through it.

I have always thought he cut them off. Were they found floating with the bike or at a different location at WB?

I seem to recall that Mickey's bike grips were found with or very near the bicycle.

My curiosity still surrounds BSL's visit to his parole officer--which happened in late May, IIRC. This man is an RSO, with visible wounds on his body and driving a white truck. For me the NO/JPPD have an easier out, but considering BSL was sitting in front of his appointed officer and gave off no alarm bells has always confounded me. If that officer had called the JPPD officer to get a feel of BSL's story, would justice have been served sooner?

I am not calling anyone out, but my curiousity has not waned on this matter.

Was it ever stated for certain that BSL actually spoke with the authorities monitoring his RSO status, in person? Could he have reported in via the phone?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, but I remember early on before BSL was arrested, talks of a pressure washer being stolen and the place where is was stolen from set on fire. Is this correct? If so has it ever been determined is was not BSL who did that? The fire makes me think it could have been him. Would it be possible to clean the inside of his truck with it?

I can see BSL cleaning the exterior including the bed of his truck with it. Possibly the interior on low pressure. There was probably alot of evidence to try to obliterate in and on his truck! IMO

I can see BSL cleaning the exterior including the bed of his truck with it. Possibly the interior on low pressure. There was probably alot of evidence to try to obliterate in and on his truck! IMO

Couldn't he have done this at a carwash for 75cents? There are carwashes on every corner, even in isolated rural areas.

Ochsner used to hav (at least when I worked there) a much slower ER than other hospitals in Nola. B/c of jurisdictional prob, address in Nola, physically in Jefferson parish, it prob would have seemed crazy. I can't remember if he said he lost his wallet, etc, & the wounds & blood would not have been fresh, so that would have given both triage nurse & attending pause to reflect, & they no doubt consulted w/ both jurisdictions about the oddity of his situation, never mind the description of his alledged attacker (Nola fans surely know the numbers of their team) & the odd scenario of finding THAT hospital out of all the others, out of the way that it is. If you don't know where you are, how do you find the nearest ER?

Nevermind. I looked it up. Stands for be on the lookout.
Now my question is, when there is a BOLO issued, is it statewide, jurisdiction wide?

LE had the good fortune of BSL's misfortune...picking the wrong victim. Mickey's fight and the hurt she put on BSL drove him to do things he never anticipated having to do. Plus, her family and friends and an entire global circle of support would not let this crime sit idle the way Lisa's did. I don't want to bash LE, but without the two critical tips, BSL would not have been identified, (at least not as quickly) and BSL would probably still be out there living his life the way he did in the month and a half after Mickey's murder. As for putting him behind bars for life I still struggle with the negotiated plea. Perhaps the DA didn't feel as confident in the evidence, or, perhaps because of other reasons like pressure from family to negotiate for the body, or, the DAs' desire to end this quickly, they felt the plea arrangement was appropriate. We may never know whether LE had sufficient evidence to arrive at a DP conviction. With a present day cost of $23,000/year per prisoner, taxpayers will pay well over $1,000,000 to keep BSL at Angola, if he lives to his life expectancy. Don't know how much it would cost for trial and appeals, but I personally would prefer covering those costs.

And thus the reason I included the public's help in my post. I completely agree with you about Mickey. I previously posted my thoughts about Mickey, the Shunick family, their friends and the Lafayette community at large. All amazing people in my book. At the same time that I credit those though, it's pretty difficult to discredit LE. They were the one's directing the ship and pulling all of the different pieces together. I'm sure there were mis-steps along the way, that's bound to happen, but all told, it's still pretty remarkable that Mickey has already been brought home and a murderer is off the streets.

Well I have a feeling little ole' BSL won't be in Louisiana very long. If investigators in Texas find enough evidence to press charges against him he will be extradited to Texas.According to Texas criminal statute, that state reserves the right to extradite an individual back there to face prosecution. If he has ties to Ali's disappearance he will be sorry sitting in the Texas death chamber!

Prisoners must live this song... I actually always liked this song...but never really payed attention to It's meaning until now.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpl2LwFt8x8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpl2LwFt8x8[/ame]

BBM:

In the Statement in Support of Plea, BSL admits to tackling Lisa and beating her about the face. He also admits to choking her. It is also stated that she died shortly after this attack. Well, he may not say "I killed Lisa" but anyone in their right mind can clearly see that after enduring the things that he did admit to, one would probably be dead. It bothers me too that he wouldn't admit to it...and I think the only reason he didn't is because there is no "proof" that he did...unlike with Mickey...the gun shot and stab wounds. I very much struggle with his plea because I don't believe for one second that its everything...and I just can't seem to get past it. I know I need to and that its my issue...its just very hard. I'm glad Lisa finally got justice too...even if BSL was still skirting the issue...he's pled and now serving his time for it.

BBM:

In the Statement in Support of Plea, BSL admits to tackling Lisa and beating her about the face. He also admits to choking her. It is also stated that she died shortly after this attack. Well, he may not say "I killed Lisa" but anyone in their right mind can clearly see that after enduring the things that he did admit to, one would probably be dead. It bothers me too that he wouldn't admit to it...and I think the only reason he didn't is because there is no "proof" that he did...unlike with Mickey...the gun shot and stab wounds. I very much struggle with his plea because I don't believe for one second that its everything...and I just can't seem to get past it. I know I need to and that its my issue...its just very hard. I'm glad Lisa finally got justice too...even if BSL was still skirting the issue...he's pled and now serving his time for it.

Due to budgetary issues, successful automatic appeals in death penalty cases, and pardons/commuting of sententences. Most death sentences are seldom carried out any way..
The prosecution strategy was brilliant in serial killer BS Lavergne's case, imo.

The investigation of any unknown victims in LA & other states can be conducted while he is incarcerated, providing public safety, while insuring Justice for them, and a semblance of closure for their families. It is the not knowing that is the hardest for the victim's families, imo.

Much can be learned from BS Lavergne's decade long trail of terror, as well as from BSL, once all the investigation & trials, etc., are complete.. Hopefully from the information that he will eventually share. Both purposely and accidentally. Maybe, just maybe, other up & coming BSL's can be detected and prevented in the future..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx