Breaking News 8/28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wudge said:
It appears Karr said he had targeted a girl in Thailand. Hence, his arrest.

One things for sure, Karr needs a ton of help. I am happy for his family though.
Then he would have been Thailand's responsibility, not Boulder's. And you can"t arrest someone because you think they *might* do something.

Karr faces extradition to California

5:24 p.m. John Mark Karr is driven back to the Boulder County Jail Monday afternoon after his arrest warrant for the murder of JonBenet Ramsey had been dropped and the court appearance cancelled. Prosecutors decided against charging the 41-year-old with the killing because his DNA does not match the DNA found in the 6-year-old's underwear. Karr will be held in the jail awaiting extradition to California to face child *advertiser censored* charges, Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle said this afternoon.August 28, 2006
John Mark Karr will not be charged with the death of JonBenet Ramsey but will be held in the Boulder County jail awaiting extradition to California, where he will face charges of possessing child *advertiser censored*, Boulder County Sheriff Joe Pelle said this afternoon.
"California wanted him," Pelle said.

Prosecutors decided against charging Karr in the killing of the child beauty queen because his DNA does not match the DNA found in the girl's underwear.

Authorities notified Karr earlier today that he might not be charged in Boulder, but he didn’t get the official word until he was transferred to the Boulder County justice center this afternoon.

Karr was minutes from being released from custody when the Sonoma County District Attorney’s office sent a warrant for Karr’s arrest to authorities in Boulder at around 3 p.m., his attorney said.

The school teacher has been wanted in Sonoma County since failing to appear in 2001 at a court hearing on charges he had a computer containing images of child *advertiser censored*.

Karr’s attorney, Boulder public defender Seth Temin, was happy to have the charges for the 1996 murder of JonBenet dropped against his client. But he’s not pleased about the last-minute extradition.

"The warrant wasn’t active when he got here," Temin said. "It seems disingenuous of the California people to reinstate it."

Karr was returned to the Boulder County jail at 4:15 this afternoon, riding in the front seat of a white Sheriff’s SUV. Wearing a blue polo shirt, Karr stared straight ahead through flashing news media cameras as he arrived.

There will be a hearing at 2 p.m. Tuesday at which he can waive extradition, in which case California will have 10 days to return him to that state.
If he fights extradition he could remain in the Boulder jail for 30 to 60 days.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4951473,00.html

I heard on the way home today. 5 counts of CP Misdeameandors. And one failure to apper also a Misdemeanor.

Well, the silver lining in all of this is that there has been a resurgence of interest in this case. Tricia has appeared on how many news/interview shows; her websites are reaching an entirely new group of people. Maybe there is someone who will see these sites and a memory will be triggered; something that didn't seem important at the time, but has relevence now.

Maybe this craziness will help justice come for JonBenet!

Anita Richman said:
Well, the silver lining in all of this is that there has been a resurgence of interest in this case. Tricia has appeared on how many news/interview shows; her websites are reaching an entirely new group of people. Maybe there is somewhere that will these sites and a memory will be triggered; something that didn't seem important at the time, but has relevence now.

Let's hope so Anita, with all of this interest, I wouldn't doubt the actual predator has been online on a web forum, or two. Hoping the Boulder PD Task Force took advantage of it.

JDB said:
I heard on the way home today. 5 counts of CP Misdeameandors. And one failure to apper also a Misdemeanor.

If CP means what I think it means then it's a crime in itself for it to be considered a misdemeanor. Shameful in fact. The law really needs to throw the book at the perverts who would produce, sell, or otherwise partake in such a disgusting thing.

lighthouselover said:
Then he would have been Thailand's responsibility, not Boulder's. And you can"t arrest someone because you think they *might* do something.

If Karr did say that he had a young girl targeted, I'm not bothered that he was arrested. It was prudent to protect the girl. And bringing Karr back to America does not bother me either.

That said, I'm certainly disappointed the D.A. did not have corroborating evidence. This case continues to represent a gapping wound to all involved.

Anita Richman said:
Well, the silver lining in all of this is that there has been a resurgence of interest in this case. Tricia has appeared on how many news/interview shows; her websites are reaching an entirely new group of people. Maybe there is somewhere that will these sites and a memory will be triggered; something that didn't seem important at the time, but has relevence now.

I agree and also it gives a real look into the mind of a pedo..and that is illuminating to those who never really see how bad it is..they dont think anyone can think that way-now we know-it should go a long way toward more parents asking questions.

Jack said:
If CP means what I think it means then it's a crime in itself for it to be considered a misdemeanor. Shameful in fact. The law really needs to throw the book at the perverts who would produce, sell, or otherwise partake in such a disgusting thing.
I agree, and the laws are changing. This occurred five years ago. I did hear on CNN a little bit ago that he may have to be registered as a sex offender.
:)

panthera said:
I agree, and the laws are changing. This occurred five years ago. I did hear on CNN a little bit ago that he may have to be registered as a sex offender.
:)
That's a for sure--he was supposed to be registering already, so maybe they will convict him on that too.

California D-A determined to prosecute Karr for possessing child *advertiser censored*

SANTA ROSA, Calif. A California district attorney says the child *advertiser censored* case filed against John Karr five years ago is still alive, so he wants the former suspect in the JonBenet Ramsey case returned.

Karr pleaded not guilty to five misdemeanor counts of child *advertiser censored* possession in Sonoma County in 2001. After several months in jail awaiting trial, Karr was freed under orders to remain in the area. He promptly disappeared.

His extradition hearing is set for Tuesday afternoon in Boulder, Colorado. But Sonoma County officials say he probably won't return until the first or second week in September.

If convicted, Karr could face up to a year in prison on each count and would have to register as a sex offender. He also faces a misdemeanor charge for leaving.

http://www.wane.com/global/story.asp?s=5337353

Thanks buzz for findint that article! He could be in prison in California for a while if they give consecutive sentences; and wish he hadn't fled in the first place. He could've gotten just a fine the first time around!

:(

just finished reading the warrant. maybe the new thread should be JMK is one sick puppy

Fox News reported in the past half hour that the family of John Karr is considering a lawsuit for false arrest against Boulder County, Co.

Leila said:
Fox News reported in the past half hour that the family of John Karr is considering a lawsuit for false arrest against Boulder County, Co.
They don't have much of a case, if they have a case at all. JMK advertised his guilt, and he did everything he could to make LE think he could be the actual perp. The Karr family is looking for fast money. They all have a lose screw, or two.

Anita Richman said:

Anita, that is the best thing I have heard all day! And maybe, just maybe, some of the old players will loosen their lips.

In addition, I hope LE is stepped up, with some new blood, not just the investigators connected to DA Lacy. The way I read it, she has 2 years left, maybe she will step down earlier. That would be a good thing! YES!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enthusiastic
Back