Brendan Dassey's Habeas Corpus Petition Granted

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell us what you think happened?
I think he carried out his sick fantasy in that bedroom and kept her alive for BD to have his turn. I think he attempted to kill her in that room but found out killing a defenceless human being was much harder to kill than a defenceless cat so he took her out to the garage and shot her at least twice and then placed her into the fire. Once she could no longer tell her side of the story, he set out to cast himself as the victim.

I think he carried out his sick fantasy in that bedroom and kept her alive for BD to have his turn. I think he attempted to kill her in that room but found out killing a defenceless human being was much harder to kill than a defenceless cat so he took her out to the garage and shot her at least twice and then placed her into the fire. Once she could no longer tell her side of the story, he set out to cast himself as the victim.
Where does the rav 4 and the blood in the rear come into this scenario? Where is the evidence of teresa being in the bedroom?

Not only are you saying " he carried out his sick fantasy in the BEDROOM " with TH..you are implying she struggled..yet, not a SHRED of evidence in that bedroom to prove it..:thinking:

Shannon Sims ‏@ssimsworldwide 16m16 minutes ago
Breaking# judge orders Brendan Dassey be released from prison immediately #MakingAMurderer

Retweeted Kathleen Zellner (@ZellnerLaw):
Great News Brendan Dassey to be released pending appeal. #MakingAMurderer

Omg you guys, how great for Brendan and his family!

It really is a good feeling to know that there are still some sensible people left in the criminal justice system. Get Brendan outta there now and get him the support he needs. Long overdue!!

Now lets get Mr. Avery out and get the proper people behind bars.... the ones who committed this crime and the ones who made a mockery of it.

Another way the respondent may rebut the presumption in favor of release
contained in Rule 23(c) is to show “that the state is quite likely to be able to retry,
reconvict, and reimprison the applicant.” Walberg, 776 F.2d at 136. The respondent has
made no effort to rebut the presumption of release in this manner. As this court noted in
its decision granting the petition, “Dassey’s confession was, as a practical matter, the
entirety of the case against him on each of the three counts.” (ECF No. 23 at 89); Dassey,
2016 WL 4257386, 35, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 106971, 110. Presumably, if the state had other admissible,
compelling evidence of Dassey’s guilt, it would have presented it at
trial or in opposition to Dassey’s motion for release. In the absence of any argument
from the respondent on this point, the court must conclude that, without Dassey’s
March 1, 2006 confession, retrial, reconviction, and re-incarceration are unlikely

from Judge Duffin's recent order, BBM above. I think all of us that believe that the confession was coerced has said this!

Judge Duffin seems to be pretty confident that his original order will hold up and the State will not be successful on appeal. ;-)

There are two ways a state inmate might obtain federal habeas corpus relief.
First, the petitioner could prove that the decision of the last state court to review his
conviction was contrary to or involved an unreasonable application of clearly
established federal law. 28 U.S.C. § 2254(d)(1). Alternatively, the petitioner could prove
that the state court’s decision was based upon an unreasonable determination of the
facts. 28 U.S.C. § 2254(d)(2). Ordinarily, a petitioner presents a claim under only one of
these grounds. Dassey presented his claim under both grounds, and even more
extraordinarily the court granted him relief on both grounds

contained in Rule 23(c) is to show “that the state is quite likely to be able to retry,
reconvict, and reimprison the applicant.” Walberg, 776 F.2d at 136. The respondent has
made no effort to rebut the presumption of release in this manner. As this court noted in
its decision granting the petition, “Dassey’s confession was, as a practical matter, the
entirety of the case against him on each of the three counts.” (ECF No. 23 at 89); Dassey,
2016 WL 4257386, 35, 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 106971, 110. Presumably, if the state had other admissible,
trial or in opposition to Dassey’s motion for release. In the absence of any argument
from the respondent on this point, the court must conclude that, without Dassey’s
March 1, 2006 confession, retrial, reconviction, and re-incarceration are unlikely

from Judge Duffin's recent order, BBM above. I think all of us that believe that the confession was coerced has said this!

Judge Duffin seems to be pretty confident that his original order will hold up and the State will not be successful on appeal. ;-)

First, the petitioner could prove that the decision of the last state court to review his
established federal law. 28 U.S.C. § 2254(d)(1). Alternatively, the petitioner could prove
that the state court’s decision was based upon an unreasonable determination of the
facts. 28 U.S.C. § 2254(d)(2). Ordinarily, a petitioner presents a claim under only one of

Finally common sense prevails!! So happy for Brendan. :)

Finally common sense prevails!! So happy for Brendan. :)

I sure hope so IDK!

From what I can find, the State plans on filing an emergency motion to stay the release order, but has not done so as of yet. Some comments on the family FB page, lead me to believe that they are going through all the proper procedures to release him, so we will see what happens tomorrow.

I haven't counted back the days, but is today the 90th day since his August decision? I went back to the order from August 12th....

IT IS ORDERED AND ADJUDGED that Brendan Dassey’s petition for a writ of
habeas corpus pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2254 is GRANTED and that he be released from
custody unless, within 90 days of the date of this decision, the State initiates
proceedings to retry him.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that in the event the respondent appeals this
judgment, this judgment will be stayed pending resolution of that appeal.

There was something in today's order that made me wonder about the 90 day thing, I would have to go back and find it, and not sure I have the energy to do that tonight.

ETA: it's 94 days

I decided to check out Steve Drizin's (BD's lawyer) twitter...

this made me laugh... "MAM nation", and he was right, people had it uploaded in no time!

Steven A Drizin ‏@SDrizin 8h8 hours ago
It's true. Judge Duffin granted Brendan's bond motion! More later. Someone from MAM nation will download order. I'm unable to for hours.

another tweet from a few hours ago:

Steven A Drizin ‏@SDrizin 2h2 hours ago
Check out our CWCY Spotlight message at http://www.cwcy.org abt. today's decision. CWCY fighting to bring Brendan home by Turkey day.

linking this statement:

November 14, 2016

Today, the District Court granted Brendan Dassey’s motion for release on bond. We are in the process of making arrangements for his release and hope that Brendan will be reunited with his family by Thanksgiving, if not sooner. We urge everyone to respect Brendan’s privacy during this time of transition.

As we give thanks this holiday season for family and friends, our food will taste all the sweeter because we know that for the first time in ten years, Brendan will be celebrating in freedom with his family, too.

Last info I had was today on the noon news broadcast that said Dassey had to inform the court of where he will live upon release. I believe if he does that in a timely manner, he'll be on his way home.

MOTION TO STAY THE ORDER GRANTING THE MOTION FOR
RELEASE AND REQUEST TO EXPEDITE DECISION

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-c...-Release-and-Request-to-Expedite-Decision.pdf

Looks like this has been filed in the Eastern district of Wis., which is with Judge Duffin.
The first page has this:

The State respectfully asks
this Court to issue an order deciding this motion by 4 p.m. tomorrow,
November 16, 2016. The State will be filing an emergency motion in
the Seventh Circuit by close of business tomorrow.

Also filed today, Amended Notice of Appeal:
http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Amended-Notice-of-Appeal.pdf

JMO but I think they may have filed this today to buy another day lol I read elsewhere what is required to file an emergency motion with the 7th circuit, and it didn't sound easy. If I come across that again, I will post.

IMO, releasing Dassey is the only fair way to proceed from here. If the state wants to retry him, they have that right. However, with him in prison awaiting a new trial the wheels will move slowly. Filings would happen on the deadline date rather than before in an attempt to drag things out as long as possible. Just to keep him incarcerated as long as possible because they fear he will be acquitted at a new trial.

That's my take, anyway.

I sure hope so IDK!

From what I can find, the State plans on filing an emergency motion to stay the release order, but has not done so as of yet. Some comments on the family FB page, lead me to believe that they are going through all the proper procedures to release him, so we will see what happens tomorrow.

I haven't counted back the days, but is today the 90th day since his August decision? I went back to the order from August 12th....

habeas corpus pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 2254 is GRANTED and that he be released from
custody unless, within 90 days of the date of this decision, the State initiates

There was something in today's order that made me wonder about the 90 day thing, I would have to go back and find it, and not sure I have the energy to do that tonight.

Gotta tear just now my friends:rolleyes: I think it's the mother in me..along with the fact that FINALLY something just may be lookin up for this poor young man. FINALLY!
Also...unless the STATE decides to retry him..pfffffftt!!!
Retry him based on WHAT?:bang: Looking forward to watching footage of BD walking out a FREE man!
IMO, SA won't be far behind him:D

I sure hope so IDK!

BBM

LET IT GO...
( I wish WS had a lil Olaf:snowflake: )

Knowing he was granted relief on BOTH GROUNDS..then reading a FEW times EXACTLY all this entails..makes me still so FURIOUS!
Some of his BEST years just TAKEN from him! IMO..just USED & TOSSED AWAY like TRASH! I hope the folks responsible have nightmares. I hope they sweat & feel that nauseating feeling EVERY TIME BD or SA is brought up...waiting anxiously and wondering..
GAME OVER..IMO, either way, they lose.

It really is a good feeling to know that there are still some sensible people left in the criminal justice system. Get Brendan outta there now and get him the support he needs. Long overdue!!

Now lets get Mr. Avery out and get the proper people behind bars.... the ones who committed this crime and the ones who made a mockery of it.

:ditto:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member