Bret Michaels Rushed to ICU with Brain Hemorrhage

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As a former neurosurgery RN I can only say that I agree that things are indeed grim with this latest news. My prayers are with him and his family.

Wow...this is so incredibly sad. After watching him on The Apprentice, I got the impression that he is genuinely a nice guy. I'll be praying for him and his family.

The reporting is all over the place. They quote Bret's father as saying Bret is speaking slowly but the father is in Pennsylvania and says he last talked to Bret on Saturday.

It is hard to understand how his condition is upgraded if he needs surgery to reduce brain swelling, or how he could really be talking.

But I hope he will pull through.

If he's headed to surgery to relieve brain swelling, he is not stable. I would bet that he has had the surgery already as it is not something that you just schedule and wait for the Operating Room to finish up for the day. The next 24 hours will be very telling.

I agree he is likely to have already had the surgery if his condition is now being reported as "stable". And yes, a patient can be both "critical" and "stable".

Regarding him speaking with his father, that was on Saturday? Today is Tuesday. The condition of a person with a neurological condition such as this can change very quickly in just one day, let alone in three days.

IIRC Sharon Stone had a brain bleed.......brainstem and is fine now.

I agree he is likely to have already had the surgery if his condition is now being reported as "stable". And yes, a patient can be both "critical" and "stable".

Regarding him speaking with his father, that was on Saturday? Today is Tuesday. The condition of a person with a neurological condition such as this can change very quickly in just one day, let alone in three days.

Yes, he reportedly last spoke to him Saturday:

Michaels’ father, Wally Sychak, told Access his son was “speaking slowly” when they last spoke on Saturday.

In addition, Sychak — who spoke to Access from his home in Pennsylvania — said he had been told the rocker-turned-reality star is now “moving his arms and hands.”

Link

the "setback" in the link is hyponatremia which is low sodium. This is good news and easily treated with IV fluids.

"Surgery to relieve brain swelling" is not good, "condition deteriorating" is not good.

Dr. Gupta gave statistics in his Larry King interview. He states this type of bleed is usually NOT related to diabetes, nor would it be related to blow on the head of almost a year ago.

Sometimes they just cannot locate the source of the bleed. 50% of these patients die by 30 days out from event. Those who survive can be left with paralysis and brain damage.

How very, very sad for this young man.

----------------------
Dear God everyone please pray.I'm serious.My son had a basiliar artery stroke from a blood clot.By the time they "found it" he was completely paralyzed except for some eye movement.He was aware of everything.He lived like this for 3 1/2 yrs.I pray this young man will at least be able to walk and eat.Joe had a feeding G tube.Oh yes, he was very health concious, strong,healthy 6'1".The brain stem is the mostvital part of the brain. Dear God I pray for him..............P.S. Joe was 32yrs.

Did the Dr.'s ever say if this was atraveling clot due to his apendectomy ????

here's what I'm thinking and it may or may not be on the mark

but if he was close to death, wouldn't his family be at his side in the hospital? it just struck me as odd that his dad talked to him on the phone but didn't get on a plane? (I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all)

I realize there could be many varied reasons why his dad stayed in PA - and I'm thinking one reason might be that he either knew or was led to believe that his son was going to be ok

'course I'm just hoping, along with everyone else here

get well Brett!

----------------------
Dear God everyone please pray.I'm serious.My son had a basiliar artery stroke from a blood clot.By the time they "found it" he was completely paralyzed except for some eye movement.He was aware of everything.He lived like this for 3 1/2 yrs.I pray this young man will at least be able to walk and eat.Joe had a feeding G tube.Oh yes, he was very health concious, strong,healthy 6'1".The brain stem is the mostvital part of the brain. Dear God I pray for him..............P.S. Joe was 32yrs.

I am so very sorry about your son. I cannot imagine how agonizing it would be to see your child go through this.

----------------------

Dear Nore, I am so sorry your son had to suffer with this for 3 1/2 years. It must have broke your heart. My son is 33 years old and I live with the fear that Diabetes will do this to him because he does not take care of himself the way he should. Bless you for all you did for your son and for the care you are showing here for Bret..Always, Dolly :blowkiss:

----------------------

I will be praying for both Bret and your son Nore. How is he doing now?

Did the Dr.'s ever say if this was atraveling clot due to his apendectomy ????

It was a hemorrhage (bleeding) rather than a thrombosis (clot), so I don't believe that the surgery had anything to do with it.

Still confused by these conflicting reports...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back