GUILTY Brock Turner, college swimmer, CONVICTED of rape - sentenced to only 6 months in jail

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
'This woman has perhaps superseded the work of every politician': CNN anchor devotes half an hour of her show to reading out Stanford rape victim's powerful letter

Brock Allen Turner, 20, found guilty of raping 23-year- old at a frat party

He was sentenced to just six months in jail on Thursday

Victim read powerful statement addressing him directly during sentencing

Statement was published in full Friday and shook America

Has since been read out during a moving live television broadcast on CNN

Anchor Ashleigh Banfield said victim's account was 'one of the most remarkable and riveting impacts statements she'd ever read'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...im-powerful-live-broadcast.html#ixzz4AsYtWqKP

I'm sure if you were to ask that father "What if it was your daughter?" he'd say "My daughter wouldn't get herself into that situation." And I'm sure if she ever did get herself into that situation, she'd be so crushed with shame, she'd never report it or tell her parents what happened. Because her parents have made it quite clear that the girl is the perpetrator, who lures a vulnerable drunk guy so that he thinks it's okay...

Well what if it was the golden boy who drank too much and then got pine needles in his *** behind a dumpster?

I have some choice words for Leslie Rasmussen.

Even more for Brock, his father, and the judge.

But I don't want to get banned.

They are vile. Brock Turner is a rapist and his friends, family and the Judge are rape apologists. I've been #BrockTurnerRapist everywhere I can.

Let's give him the welcome he deserves when he gets out of "jail".

I can't believe the judge factored in the rapist's so called remorse in sentencing.

He doesn't accept responsibility. Instead, he wants to "educate other college-age students about the dangers of alcohol consumption and sexual promiscuity”, according to his father.

So wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In a way, this short sentence has been good. I don't think this rage would have exploded across social media and news outlets had he been given an appropriate sentence. More people see him for what he is.

Full letter from his father, bbm:

As it stands now, Brock’s life has been deeply altered forever by the events of Jan 17th and 18th. He will never be his happy go be his happy go lucky self with that easy going personality and welcoming smile. His ever waking minute is consumed with worry, anxiety, fear and depression. You can see this in his face, the way he walks, his weakened voice, his lack of appetite. Brock always enjoyed certain types of food and is a very good cook himself. I was always excited to buy him a big ribeye steak to grill or to get his favorite snack for him. I had to make sure to hide some of my favorite pretzels or chips because I knew they wouldn’t be around long after Brock walked in from a long swim practice. Now he barely consumes any food and eats only to exist. These verdicts have broken and shattered him and our family in so many ways. His life will never be the one he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve. That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life. The fact that he now has to register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life forever alters where he can live, visit, work, and how he will be able to interact with people and organizations. What I know as his father is that incarceration is not the appropriate punishment for Brock. He has no prior criminal history and has never been violent to anyone including his actions on the night of Jan. 17th 2015. Brock can do so many positive things as a contributor to society and is totally committed to educating other college age students about the dangers of alcohol consumption and sexual promiscuity. By having people like Brock educate others on college campuses is how society can begin to break the cycle of binge drinking and its unfortunate results. Probation is the best answer for Brock in this situation and allows him to give back to society in a net positive way.

http://kfor.com/2016/06/06/father-d...should-go-to-prison-for-20-minutes-of-action/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

<modsnip>

No, I'm just glad it wasn't a blip in the news. He would have been unnoticed. Serve a couple years, go home, and move on with life like nothing happened.

People don't like to think bad of "nice" people they know. My friend and I once found another friend's spouse on a Megan's law page. He was a nice guy, a bit of a partier. The conviction was when he was just eighteen. We figured he encountered a very mature appearing tween who misrepresented her age at a party. Because Shawn was a nice guy. He wouldn't do that. It had to be a misunderstanding. It wasn't. He had molested his younger siblings and went on to molest the daughter of another friend.

When Brock returns home after all this, no one will be able to excuse it away as a misunderstanding. (Brock is nice, he'd never really rape a woman.) The whole world now knows the gory details. That it wasn't a misunderstanding. That the woman didn't consent. Now the people of his home town have to face what really happened, and not what happened according to him and his family.

<modsnip>

im curious, is your only knowledge of this case from this thread?

im curious, is your only knowledge of this case from this thread?

I read the articles posted in this thread, and also read other media articles. I was a little aware of the case - specifically, the victim's letter read in court - before this thread.

I'm just wondering, in a case like this, can the victim hire Gloria Allred and sue the pants off the rapist and his family in a civil suit?
If I were her, I go on a media tour, I'd be of Dr Phil next week, and any other show that would have me tell my story. And just for good measure, get the student that was raped in the Vanderbilt case to go with me, and the young girl from Stubenville high school. I know how hard it would be to go public and be exposed as the victim, but I think it would do a lot of good.
This crime does need more exposure and high school and college girls need to know how much can go wrong when you drink too much and lose all your power, to fight, to consent, to say NO.
And the guys need to know its not just about sex and fun, it's going to change your life forever.

I'm just wondering, in a case like this, can the victim hire Gloria Allred and sue the pants off the rapist and his family in a civil suit?

Yep! Don't know about the family part.

I believe it is against the law for anyone to consent to sex while intoxicated, male or female.

It's baffling and horrifying to me to think that a seemingly "normal" young man (although we don't really know anything about his past) would ever, even for a fraction of a second, think that he had the right to violate a woman, regardless of her state of consciousness. Or, that raping a corpse-like being is a desirable scenario. And, that there are actually apologists for this kind of behavior. I was drunk many times in college, and never once did I lose sight of the person that I am, what I knew to be right and wrong. He's a predator, and opportunist, plain and simple. It's not about the alcohol. This woman has lent tremendous power to the voices and validation of sexual assault victims. I'm also glad that judges are being put under scrutiny for these outrageous slap on the wrist sentences. Perhaps many have gotten too big for their black robes. As for that Howdy Doody lookin' Brock? He and his father deserve every bit of vitriol coming their way. Let them be an example of mind sets and excuses that will no longer be tolerated or excused in court, or society.

Why Brock Turner got 6 months; experts weigh in:

"The presence of alcohol and drugs tend to make the sentencing even more difficult in these cases, said Gloria Allred, a discrimination attorney who&#8217;s been practicing for more than 40 years and has worked on some of the most high-profile sexual-assault cases in America, including representing many of the women who accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault. &#8220;Often it&#8217;s treated as though, well, she was intoxicated, he was intoxicated, so that&#8217;s kind of equal conduct in the sentence,&#8221; she said. &#8220;That&#8217;s not fair, that&#8217;s not right, that&#8217;s not the law because if a victim is incapacitated she cannot consent.&#8221;

More at link:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/why-brock-turner-got-six-months.html

She was unconscious the entire time': Swedish graduate student who helped stop Stanford rape describes what he saw

Carl-Fredrik Arndt and Peter Jonsson tackled Stanford athlete Brock Turner to the ground when they found him raping a young woman last year

Last week, Judge Aaron Persky sparked controversy when he sentenced Turner to a relatively light six months in jail and three years probation

In interviews after the sentencing, Arndt described coming across Turner and the unconscious woman while biking on campus

Arndt and Jonsson, who were both graduate students at the time, immediately knew something was wrong and confronted Turner

When Turner tried to run away, Jonsson chased after him and tackled him to the ground while Arndt checked to make sure the victim was alive

They then stayed with the girl and Turner until police could arrive

Both of the men, who hail from Sweden, were key witnesses in the trial

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...et-attacker-light-sentence.html#ixzz4Aw1epMqv

Random thoughts, and if you are of thin skin, scroll by. *advertiser censored* and more sh@%. How can people still posit that this is about drunkenness and "buyer's remorse" enrages me. A comatose-drunk person (of any gender) CANNOT CONSENT. Sex without consent is rape. Period end.

I do wonder about those who try finding excuses for a rapist. And this man is a rapist. A convicted rapist. A forever in the registry thank God rapist. A remorseless convicted felon.

Yes, it pisses me off to no end. NO, there are no excuses for rape. NONE. I wish when I was raped I was more like this victim and had the ovaries to show up in court and say what happened, but then again I was afraid and shamed into silence.

Because it's 20 minutes of action until it happens to you. Our your mother. Your sister. Your 5 year old niece.

I think for any decent adult, the "20 minutes of action" phrase will likely enrage you and/or have you throw up in your mouth.

On the upside, all of this information is out there. I do have enough faith in the majority of people to think that this tragedy may wake some people up about rape culture.

I think for any decent adult, the "20 minutes of action" phrase will likely enrage you and/or have you throw up in your mouth.

On the upside, all of this information is out there. I do have enough faith in the majority of people to think that this tragedy may wake some people up about rape culture.
I find his use of the word "action" particularly appalling. Is this his idea of "getting some action"?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back