GUILTY Brock Turner, college swimmer, CONVICTED of rape - sentenced to only 6 months in jail

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am so appalled by victim blaming-- in this case and in any case. I can certainly begin to question the situation someone gets themselves in. This young man's father is just ridiculous.

I will say that we must begin to address issues of alcohol consumption and young adults. We are not stressing the issues of safety with drugs and alcohol in any way that helps young adults to maneuver the freedoms that all of a sudden occur and the unfettered access to alcohol. This young man is guilty and should be away for a lot longer than what sentence he was given. I do believe that if he knew how to drink responsibly he would not have committed the crime. I feel that way in many of the cases involving heavy drug and alcohol use

Hope I am not violating TOS, but Judge Persky is a Stanford alum and a former Stanford athlete. Why in the world was he allowed to preside over this case???

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...ord-sexual-assault-case-judge-behind-sentence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He just got a new 6-year term today because he ran unopposed. I know we can't link to the petition to recall him, but you can easily find it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/06/07/judge-stanford-sex-assault-case-draws-outrage/85543204/

Please, if anyone hasn't read up on this case, take some time. This is a complete injustice.

The father's statement adds extreme insult to extreme injury. His warped message essentially was: My son is a fine young man. Okay, he might have made a bit of a mistake, but it was only 20 minutes of action. Now he's having a tough time. Heck, he's even lost his appetite! It's just not right, I tell ya.

nFJfV8K.jpg

Full letter from his father, bbm:

As it stands now, Brock’s life has been deeply altered forever by the events of Jan 17th and 18th. He will never be his happy go be his happy go lucky self with that easy going personality and welcoming smile. His ever waking minute is consumed with worry, anxiety, fear and depression. You can see this in his face, the way he walks, his weakened voice, his lack of appetite. Brock always enjoyed certain types of food and is a very good cook himself. I was always excited to buy him a big ribeye steak to grill or to get his favorite snack for him. I had to make sure to hide some of my favorite pretzels or chips because I knew they wouldn’t be around long after Brock walked in from a long swim practice. Now he barely consumes any food and eats only to exist. These verdicts have broken and shattered him and our family in so many ways. His life will never be the one he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve. That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life. The fact that he now has to register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life forever alters where he can live, visit, work, and how he will be able to interact with people and organizations. What I know as his father is that incarceration is not the appropriate punishment for Brock. He has no prior criminal history and has never been violent to anyone including his actions on the night of Jan. 17th 2015. Brock can do so many positive things as a contributor to society and is totally committed to educating other college age students about the dangers of alcohol consumption and sexual promiscuity. By having people like Brock educate others on college campuses is how society can begin to break the cycle of binge drinking and its unfortunate results. Probation is the best answer for Brock in this situation and allows him to give back to society in a net positive way.

http://kfor.com/2016/06/06/father-d...should-go-to-prison-for-20-minutes-of-action/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dear Dad, tons of college students on campuses were drunk and/or sexually promiscuous that night and yet they're not in Brock's unfortunate position now, because they didn't RAPE anyone. Mere promiscuity is not illegal and does not make you a criminal in most Western civilizations. Alcohol consumption can be dangerous but a lot of people get drunk without ending up in prison. Your precious son has to register as a sexual offender because he is a sexual predator. Rape is a violent crime, so your statement that your child has never been violent doesn't make sense. He cannot do anything to educate the public about sexual violence because he does not understand he committed rape and that it is wrong. Rapists going around campuses victim blaming, making excuses for their crimes and feeling sorry for themselves and not their victims does not help the society to combat sexual violence. However, reading your letter I understand better where Brock is coming from and why he does not think that rape is a big deal.

It only takes a second of action to get a life sentence for murder. There is no rule that you can rape someone once every 20 years if your dad says you have been an exemplary citizen in the middle. And dear Dad, how can you be sure he has never raped other people and just never got caught before this? Many rapes never get reported because of people like you.

This guy should be required to listen to this daily.

Tea Consent
[video=youtube;fGoWLWS4-kU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGoWLWS4-kU[/video]

This guy should be required to listen to this daily.

Tea Consent
[video=youtube;fGoWLWS4-kU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGoWLWS4-kU[/video]

Unconscious people don't want tea! And they can't answer the question "do you want tea?" because they are unconscious! This is fantastic!

I do believe that if he knew how to drink responsibly he would not have committed the crime. I feel that way in many of the cases involving heavy drug and alcohol use

Snipped for focus

Lots of young men find themselves in this situation and they manage not to rape the woman. IMO drinking really had nothing to do with it. The thought, the motivation, was there, where it isn't with other young men. Had he had less, or nothing, to drink, I think he still would have raped this woman. His first thought was not helping her, it was to take advantage of her.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

that girl is really going to regret writing that letter, and she should.(QUOTE)

(RSBM)

Drj you certainly called it......

"Character letter for 'sweet' Stanford rapist faces outrage and cancelled gigs - after issuing a second statement blaming 'American drinking culture' for her friend's crime"

Good English blacklisted from Brooklyn venues this weekend

Drummer Leslie Rasmussen penned letter to judge defending rapist Brock Turner

Brock Allen Turner, 20, found guilty of raping 23-year-old at a frat party

Rasmussen's letter was published, venues were besieged with requests to cancel gigs

One person commented: 'The consequence of drinking too much is a hangover, NOT rape'

All four of their shows now cancelled, venues say they don't support 'rape apologists'

A show in Ohio scheduled for late June has also been cancelled

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dict-political-correctness.html#ixzz4AzQshkLz

I was actually trying to find his sentencing record on similar crimes, but no one seems to have explored that yet. This has white privilege written all over it. And I'm white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, athletes of all races and economic backgrounds, seem to get away with sexual assaults and many other crimes, just because they are athletes. Like it is somehow understandable that they want the girl, item, fight, whatever, and they should have it just because they have physical abilities in some sport.
Yes, this guy doesn't have a 'record' of other such crimes, but that doesn't mean he hasn't commited other crimes, just not been caught. Getting away with something, according to my parents, leads to something else.
I don't even blame the dad, many parents can't see the fault in their own children, but the wording of his letter makes me want to smack some sense into him. I hope he doesn't have a daughter at home.
I will say, the rapists, fathers and judges life probably won't ever be the same again, after this. Well, hate it for them.
All MOO only

Every headline I read says "Stanford swimmer" not Stanford rapist.

I don't even blame the dad, many parents can't see the fault in their own children, but the wording of his letter makes me want to smack some sense into him. I hope he doesn't have a daughter at home.

I do blame the dad. If the dad was in denial he would have said his son is a "really good kid that would never do something to hurt a woman intentionally".

Instead the dad accepts/admits the kid did it intentionally and since it was "only 20 minutes worth of action" it isn't a big deal.

This situation makes me SO sick. I cannot believe the father's words, that whole "20 minutes of action" thing. The poor girl didn't even know what was going on! It was far from consensual. The father, the boy, and that judge should be ashamed of themselves. The judge wouldn't hand down a stiffer penalty because it would have a "severe impact" on the boy?! Pathetic. That kid needs to feel a severe impact. I bet that young lady will feel a severe impact for the rest of her life, and through no fault of her own. By giving that boy what is essentially a slap on the wrist, all it does is show him that he can get away with stuff more easily than most other people can. Just like the so-called "affluenza teen." Ugh. Totally disgusting.

Snipped for focus

Lots of young men find themselves in this situation and they manage not to rape the woman. IMO drinking really had nothing to do with it. The thought, the motivation, was there, where it isn't with other young men. Had he had less, or nothing, to drink, I think he still would have raped this woman. His first thought was not helping her, it was to take advantage of her.

Alcohol reduces judgment and inhibitions. You may be right. He may have been a rapist no matter what. But the truth is that many young people do not have enough information and understanding when it comes to alcohol. They leave home and drink or do drugs to excess because they are now on their own, have no ability to know when they have had enough and do stupid things that range from throwing up as they sleep to rape and murder.

Don't get me wrong. This young man is a criminal and should be in prison--- not jail--- and have the full course of the crime paid for with his time. But we have to understand and make provisions for what happens to young people when they are underage, given access to alcohol, and it is part of the culture to get so loaded you don't know what you are doing. I stand behind the original Vanderbilt convictions and any other crimes committed against people.

He wasn't drunk in the court and he still didn't think he did anything wrong so it's not just the alcohol, it's something deeper.

If he hadn't been drunk he might have had the good sense not to get caught.

OMG THIS. I was just chatting with Montjoy yesterday and told her that my sponsor (I am a very grateful recovering alcoholic) said that to me when I told her maybe my being drunk made it my fault. She said gurrrl [snap finger snap], you could have expected a fckng hangover, NOT a rape".

This case is so incredibly upsetting to me. As a higher education person, as a woman, as an alcoholic in recovery, and as a multiple rape survivor. This rapist will eventually get what's coming to him. Karma is a boomerang.

Alcohol reduces judgment and inhibitions. You may be right. He may have been a rapist no matter what. But the truth is that many young people do not have enough information and understanding when it comes to alcohol. They leave home and drink or do drugs to excess because they are now on their own, have no ability to know when they have had enough and do stupid things that range from throwing up as they sleep to rape and murder.

Don't get me wrong. This young man is a criminal and should be in prison--- not jail--- and have the full course of the crime paid for with his time. But we have to understand and make provisions for what happens to young people when they are underage, given access to alcohol, and it is part of the culture to get so loaded you don't know what you are doing. I stand behind the original Vanderbilt convictions and any other crimes committed against people.
The vast majority of young people who drink do NOT commit rape or murder. Rape is not the natural impulse of the vast majority of men, whether alcohol is present or not.

ETA

He raped because he is a rapist, not because he was drunk.

The vast majority of young people who drink do NOT commit rape or murder. Rape is not the natural impulse of the vast majority of men, whether alcohol is present or not.

I am not saying that rape is a natural impulse. In fact, I know it is not. He is, indeed, a rapist. Had he been one before, I honestly don't know. Neither do any of us. Might he have kept his impulses in check, maybe or maybe not.

There are too many young people who are assaulted in college who never make a report and think they have no right to do so based on their level of inebriation. Whether a vast major of people do or do not do something (commit murder, rape or whatever), we need more students like the people who stopped this crime by taking action. Understanding responsibilities, the effect of alcohol, how to take care of peers who may or may not be able to consent is important in my book. You can keep saying what you want about %s of people who commit crimes while intoxicated or the rape impulse. But, unfortunately, these situations continue to occur. When young men and women are raised by families that victim blame or see a crime a ruining the aggressor's life rather than understanding the importance of responsibility----of self and towards others, society must act. That is what I am stating. I know that statistics. I have worked with rape survivors forever. I know that he is guilty. I also know our campuses, high schools and families need to take more action to curb this awful situation.

how to take care of peers who may or may not be able to consent is important in my book.

That is a big one IMO.

As far as addressing the problem of rape on campus, I think the varied definitions that some put forth as "rape" creates much of the problem. The stories of young women being told if they were drunk and got "talked into it" that makes it rape really muddies the water. If you were drunk and he talked you into it, then regret having slept with him the next morning that is "drunk buyers remorse" not rape.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaMaude
Back