Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024 # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Graphic :

There must have been blood spatter on the walls, correct ?

From the link :
In the first videos that were shown, the more pixelated and blue-ish version, there appears to be a red mist twice.
Could have been the colors of the security video camera, though ?

This latest version from @Friday Fan is more clear, and it appears that the video is edited at least three times.
Prob. for privacy reasons.

The jury will most likely view it in it's entirety.
Regardless of what Stines' defense will come up with, this was murder, not manslaughter/self-defense/etc. .
Omo.
I think his guilt of a particular charge might come down to the specific wording of Kentucky Law AND the ever-important wording of the jury instructions.

I think it is a child's excavator toy. I don't know why it is in the courthouse. But that is what it appears to be to me. The bucket with the two bars attached to it is exactly like my kids'. And it took only a few moments of online search to find a yellow one on wheels.

I posted the same thing a few pages back, got laughed at, and figured I deserved it. Now I feel much less silly. Thank you! Maybe these things are not important, but with pretty clear video, I think we are all just trying to process the scene. I find it helpful.

Item. Child's Excavator Toy?

@PrairieWind Thank you very much.

From my original post:
"... close to judge's feet. Has 2 black wheels, connected to hinged arm, w bulldozer bucket on end. Mining related? Toy or model?"
Going back to this idea ^ for now.

@PrairieWind Again thx for taking time to search.
The possibility of a child RIDE-ON SIZE excavator simply did not occur to me.

Why didn't manuf'r's make cool toys like ^ when I was the right age?
And the right weight, under 110 pounds? LOL ;)

I know there's already been so much discussion on it. My initial thought on it was it is a scooper/pick up thing for either dog poo or perhaps cigarette butts. ?? Just an idea. But the idea of it being a document-related thing makes good sense too.

Can anyone remember a case where a murder documented by video is released to the public? And I don't mean a killing that actual takes place in a public place with witnesses (eg George Floyd).

Just wondering. I can't imagine family and loved ones seeing that the actual murder in real time is displayed to the public all over the place. Would they have given permission?
It just seems unnecessary to me to show it beyond investigative purposes and the courtroom.

Can anyone remember a case where a murder documented by video is released to the public? And I don't mean a killing that actual takes place in a public place with witnesses (eg George Floyd).

Just wondering. I can't imagine family and loved ones seeing that the actual murder in real time is displayed to the public all over the place. Would they have given permission?
It just seems unnecessary to me to show it beyond investigative purposes and the courtroom.

video/bodycam documented murder released to public shortly after the incident:

Sonya Massey, Illinois woman killed by a cop in her apartment earlier this year

video/bodycam documented murder released to public shortly after the incident:

Sonya Massey, Illinois woman killed by a cop in her apartment earlier this year

But I think with Sonya, it just showed the perp entering/exiting the apartment building?

Whereas with Judge Mullins, we watch an execution as it happened in real time. Imo. I remain shocked that it was shown to the public during that hearing.

[snipped for focus]
I think this shooting has the hallmark of something Stines perceived to be very personal, non-negotiable. MOO

I think this as well.

IMO: This seemed like someone neutralizing a threat (perceived or real) and risking his own life to do so. Stines had no apparent plan or desire to avoid capture and arrest, and it even seems possible he could've been shot by other LE on scene during the encounter. I can't square any of this with a motive of trying to get himself out of some other kind of legal trouble.

Seeing that it’s a very small county they are going to have to ask for a change of venue to the other side of the state. It would be difficult to find many adults in that county who have never seen the video.

This case is driving me crazy. The judge was actually smoking a cigarette at the time of the shooting. He puts his hand up, and I don't detect any alarm on his face. It almost looks like he thinks the Sheriff, his friend, is joking. amoo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241007-224105.png
    Screenshot_20241007-224105.png
    508.6 KB · Views: 16
But I think with Sonya, it just showed the perp entering/exiting the apartment building?

Whereas with Judge Mullins, we watch an execution as it happened in real time. Imo. I remain shocked that it was shown to the public during that hearing.

Sadly, that was only in the first video released. In later bodycam footage from the officer's partner (said officer himself didn't have his on at the time of the shooting), the entire shooting scene in her kitchen occurs and that was also released to the public.

Sadly, that was only in the first video released. In later bodycam footage from the officer's partner (said officer himself didn't have his on at the time of the shooting), the entire shooting scene in her kitchen occurs and that was also released to the public.
Oh, wow. I didn't realize that. Thanks for informing me. What sad footage that must be. But I'm glad they have for prosecution.

This case is driving me crazy. The judge was actually smoking a cigarette at the time of the shooting. He puts his hand up, and I don't detect any alarm on his face. It almost looks like he thinks the Sheriff, his friend, is joking. amoo
Agreed.
I mentioned that earlier, the seemingly calm demeanor, and someone strongly disagreed -- pointing out how Mullins was trying to hide under his desk, etc.
Agree to disagree.
Yes, after the first shot I'm sure he was suddenly aware how serious Stines was.

My point was that if the judge had committed egregious crimes and knew that Stines was in a rage & that he (Mullins) was 'caught', his expression would've been different from the beginning.

Instead, Mullins seems to not fear Stines and also to not understand why the sheriff would be taking such actions.
Maybe, just maybe Stine's reasons (in his own mind, of course) for murder were the result of a paranoid and unhinged mind gone to ruin ?
Omo.

My point was that if the judge had committed egregious crimes and knew that Stines was in a rage & that he (Mullins) was 'caught', his expression would've been different from the beginning.

Instead, Mullins seems to not fear Stines and also to not understand why the sheriff would be taking such actions.
Maybe, just maybe Stine's reasons (in his own mind, of course) for murder were the result of a paranoid and unhinged mind gone to ruin ?
Omo.
RSBM.

I agree with you. That's what I have thought from the beginning. Imo.

Admittedly, I thought the same thing! The more I think about their lives together, and this close knit community, I'm shattered for them. :(

To me your screenshot looks like the judge is in fear because he's angling his body away from the sheriff along with the defensive positioning of his hand. JMO.

Agreed.
I mentioned that earlier, the seemingly calm demeanor, and someone strongly disagreed -- pointing out how Mullins was trying to hide under his desk, etc.
Agree to disagree.
Yes, after the first shot I'm sure he was suddenly aware how serious Stines was.

Omo.
It's going to be a long wait for answers. I agree that he only reacts and shows fear after he's shot. He must have been so confused.

To me your screenshot looks like the judge is in fear because he's angling his body away from the sheriff along with the defensive positioning of his hand. JMO.

From the video it looks like Judge Mullins is turning his body away when Stines opened fire in a last ditch effort to survive.

I can see where you could view it that way. I don't know if you grew up with guns or not. But for most who have, you're told over and over, "Don't ever point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot."

A few years ago, my brother was being stupid and put the laser scope on his new rifle right on me center mass. Instinctively, I put my hand up, knowing for certain he didn't intend to shoot me. That still shot and his facial expression remind me of that day. I wasn't afraid as much as irritated that my brother thought he was being funny when he was actually being quite irresponsible.

I don't see fear or concern until he's been shot. But that's just my take.

I can see where you could view it that way. I don't know if you grew up with guns or not. But for most who have, you're told over and over, "Don't ever point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot."

A few years ago, my brother was being stupid and put the laser scope on his new rifle right on me center mass. Instinctively, I put my hand up, knowing for certain he didn't intend to shoot me. That still shot and his facial expression remind me of that day. I wasn't afraid as much as irritated that my brother thought he was being funny when he was actually being quite irresponsible.

I don't see fear or concern until he's been shot. But that's just my take.
I believe in the saying "Never point a gun at something you don't want to kill." That makes it very clear what the consequences are.

I think the judge, by his body language, demonstrates that he knew he was in mortal danger. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back