Brooke Bennett, 12 years old Randolph VT #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox News just showed a portion of the funeral....said they are getting the feed from their local Fox affiliate. Cassandra, Savanna, Jim Bennett and Janet were shown....

I started a thread for funeral information. Please post it there so that it doesn't get lost in the thread. Thanks.

I know it's only my interpretation, but the fact that the PO referred to Jacques' "killing spot" makes me think it was a place he may have used more than once.

I am seriously skeeved out by that, but thank you for posting the link.

Hi MrsMush! There are several (2 pages) threads already started on different topics pertaining to Brooke's case, i.e., photos; affidavits; myspace links; media; etc.:blowkiss:

I know, but I thought it would be easier to have more spread out. For instance I started a Brooke's funeral thread, so all the information about her funeral could be posted there so people don't have to look through pages and pages of posts just to find the funeral information.

Also, there is a lot of information about the PO. Maybe a thread could be started for that as well.

O/T a bit, but I was wondering if there could be threads started on different topics. It's very hard for some people to keep up before having to read through hundreds of posts. Everything is all on threads without separate topics. I think, it would be much easier to access information and to find what we are looking for. This thread is #16 and there are pages and pages of information that I'm sure could be spread out. Just a suggestion.

There are 2 pages of threads started on different topics. The reason we opened a forum is so that posters could organize and spread out....the hard part is, getting everyone to do it ;)

I don't know if the VT jails are overcrowded.
But, my guess is yes. If they have to made a decision on which one to set free, I would vote for the non-violent criminals.
Petty crimes such as pot smoking shouldn't take up space.

It's just another war the US in losing. The war on drugs and the war on pedophiles.
IMO

There are 2 pages of threads started on different topics. The reason we opened a forum is so that posters could organize and spread out....the hard part is, getting everyone to do it ;)

I'm trying, LOL. I looked at the second page and it is mostly stickies and closed threads. Hopefully people will post on new threads, the problem might be that people stay on the general discussion threads and don't look at the forum.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080709/FRONTPAGE/807090305

snip/
In an interview yesterday, Vermont Commissioner of the Department of Corrections Rob Hofmann said that while the judge who approved Jacques's early release indicated in her ruling that a probation officer supported the decision, internal documents show the department was opposed to letting Jacques off probation. Hofmann said the department is investigating the discrepancy.
"We're still trying to understand that," said Hofmann, who became commissioner in 2005. "We have indications in the case file that the department would not support the release, because of the violent nature of the offense.
"It is clear to me the department didn't support (Jacques's release)," Hofmann said
/snip

Sounds to me like the probation department and the judge were not on the same page. I hate to say this, but did someone get to the judge in this instance?

Was searching todays news and this is what I found.

We need better laws to protect our children

Wednesday, July 9
Editor of the Reformer:

Many have said that rural Vermont is a great place to raise a family. The small town setting and sense of community gives us a feeling that our children our safe here. That coupled with the many programs that are offered to keep kids safe and healthy make Vermont a place where many come to reside.
But can't Vermont do a better job in protecting our kids from sexual predators? Particularly our legal system and our legislature. While writing this I thought maybe it's too early in regards to the tragic event that happened in Randolph. But has the state been too late in enacting a Jessica's Law?
A little over one year ago, we had a child rapist get an intial 60-day sentence after confessing to violating a 6-year-old girl for four years. The increase in sexual predators went from 700 in 2001 to 2,400 in 2006. Are they coming here because it's safer for them?
The man charged in last week's heinous crime was first charged with a sex crime 23 years ago. He was 18 and had sex with a 15-year-old. That case was dismissed. In 1993 when he was 26, he was convicted of raping an 18-year-old in Rutland. In this case the court records showed a violent and humiliating crime. His sentence was for six years and 14 years of probation. He spent four years in jail and petitioned for early release of probation which was granted seven years early in 2006. Now, two years later we have this incident.

http://www.reformer.com/ci_9824943?source=most_viewed

I don't know if the VT jails are overcrowded.
But, my guess is yes. If they have to made a decision on which one to set free, I would vote for the non-violent criminals.
Petty crimes such as pot smoking shouldn't take up space.

It's just another war the US in losing. The war on drugs and the war on pedophiles.
IMO

Yeah, its crazy. By definition, a non violent offense, other than possibly massive fraud that leaves the victims penniless and ruins their lives, are not as serious as violent crimes. Victimless crimes: drugs, gambling, prostitution are even less important, though I know many disagree about these crimes being victimless, I say if its a willing seller and a willing buyer, tax it, regulate it and worry about criminals who leave victims.

Now saying due to technical difficulties that they will not be able to carry it live...

WCAX has been having difficulties all morning long.

this is what I get when I go to wcax.

Under Construction

The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page. It may be in the process of being upgraded and configured.
Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem, try contacting the Web site administrator.
If you are the Web site administrator and feel you have received this message in error, please see "Enabling and Disabling Dynamic Content" in IIS Help. http://www.wcax.com/

doesn't Vermont have child endangerment laws?

LOL.....Seldom used law!!.... I am ashamed to admit that I am a Native Vermonter !!!

I have had extensive experience and contact with the DOC, DCF, Family Court, Criminal Court, and many Vermont Legislators through my profession and personal life.

Property tax reform, protecting the enviroment, and civil unions are the priority for the Vermont Legislature.

I had a family member who was incarcerated and another person involved in the crime, who was NOT to be in contact with him, was allowed to send mail, have phone contact and visit him until it was brought to DOC attention. Their response was to then ship the family member out of state. hmmmm....retaliation maybe for the error being brought to the Commisioner attention???
Interesting that the taxpayers paid for him to be transferred out of state and then returned to Vermont 12 days later.

DCF ..... visit the Vermont Agency of Human Services website and read the HHS Federal Review of DCF that was done in 2007. Quite a eye opener....

Child endangerment....Up until last year and because the Federal Regulations required a change for continued Federal funding, children born addicted were NOT being reported to DCF as it was NOT recognized in policy or statue to be a "reportable incident."

I could give you lots more examples but I think you get my drift....BTW....Vermont is recognized as one of the top 10 safest states for children, LOL....

LOL.....Seldom used law!!.... I am ashamed to admit that I am a Native Vermonter !!!

I have had extensive experience and contact with the DOC, DCF, Family Court, Criminal Court, and many Vermont Legislators through my profession and personal life.

Property tax reform, protecting the enviroment, and civil unions are the priority for the Vermont Legislature.

I had a family member who was incarcerated and another person involved in the crime, who was NOT to be in contact with him, was allowed to send mail, have phone contact and visit him until it was brought to DOC attention. Their response was to then ship the family member out of state. hmmmm....retaliation maybe for the error being brought to the Commisioner attention???
Interesting that the taxpayers paid for him to be transferred out of state and then returned to Vermont 12 days later.

DCF ..... visit the Vermont Agency of Human Services website and read the HHS Federal Review of DCF that was done in 2007. Quite a eye opener....

Child endangerment....Up until last year and because the Federal Regulations required a change for continued Federal funding, children born addicted were NOT being reported to DCF as it was NOT recognized in policy or statue to be a "reportable incident."

I could give you lots more examples but I think you get my drift....BTW....Vermont is recognized as one of the top 10 safest states for children, LOL....

No wonder its in the top 10, they don't report the bulk of the crimes.... but then again we are not aware of all the unreported crimes against children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE