BSL - More Victims????

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yep Cajun strong, plenty of money to travel and plenty of free time. That isn't even counting him working on land rigs while being "offshore"

Yes, he is such a criminal mastermind that he led LE to his victim's body.

I've read someone here call him a 'prolific' serial killer. Well, he's been indicted for two murders, which is the minimum to be called a serial killer at all, so calling him prolific on that basis is curious. Likewise, suggesting that he is some sort of cagey criminal mastermind seems extremely premature on the evidence that we have. After all, he led LE to his victim, which is pretty much pooping in bed for a criminal. This is not a smart man.

I'm sorry when the direction of sleuthing seems to be driven primarily by the desire for a more interesting monster. Why was so much attention paid to an author who shared only his last name? The poor guy had to go to the media to set the story straight. But it was more intriguing for some, regardless of the truth of the matter!

Let's let the facts lead us rather than bizarre lay opinions.

I've read someone here call him a 'prolific' serial killer. Well, he's been indicted for two murders, which is the minimum to be called a serial killer at all, so calling him prolific on that basis is curious. Likewise, suggesting that he is some sort of cagey criminal mastermind seems extremely premature on the evidence that we have. After all, he led LE to his victim, which is pretty much pooping in bed for a criminal. This is not a smart man.

I'm sorry when the direction of sleuthing seems to be driven primarily by the desire for a more interesting monster. Why was so much attention paid to an author who shared only his last name? The poor guy had to go to the media to set the story straight. But it was more intriguing for some, regardless of the truth of the matter!

I have to agree with you in that I do not see him as any criminal mastermind. If there are other victims then I think he was lucky that either the community wasn't as involved or that he was not caught by current technology such as surveillance cameras.

He made very dumb mistakes with his first known victim and was convicted. He made mistakes with Lisa but the accident took the heat off it seems. With Mickey, he clearly acted on impulse and did everything imaginable to backtrack and cover his mistakes, which led to his demise.

I don't know that he intentionally chose to involve the 7 or 8 jurisdictions because he is a genius but instead just thought I wll go in every opposite direction to space everything out. This is extremely common with all different types of crimes and common sense in my opinion.

I actually think he is a prime candidate as a criminal role model in showing what not to do! Someone that is 33 yrs old, has spent 8 of those years in prison and is now facing the death penalty is far from a criminal mastermind.

I don't know that he intentionally chose to involve the 7 or 8 jurisdictions because he is a genius but instead just thought I wll go in every opposite direction to space everything out. This is extremely common with all different types of crimes and common sense in my opinion.

I actually think he is a prime candidate as a criminal role model in showing what not to do! Someone that is 33 yrs old, has spent 8 of those years in prison and is now facing the death penalty is far from a criminal mastermind.

Yes, what difference would it make if he chose to involve 20 jurisdictions if he decides to tell LE where he left the body! And as if he was keeping track. Could you imagine him keeping a list (as if he was even aware of the boundaries) -- "Ok, here's jurisdiction 1, here's jurisdiction 2, ... jurisdiction 8 -- well, it's time to confess now!"

Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad he is not intelligent and ecstatic that he led LE to Mickey. I just cannot fathom why anyone would want to promote the idea of him being intelligent on the basis of no positive evidence, but much evidence to the contrary.

Leslie Morgan is another young woman missing from Louisiana. She is not listed in NamUs and there is very little information on her.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116260"]LA LA - Leslie Morgan, 27, New Orleans, 26 Sept 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

8940675-small.jpg

Yes, what difference would it make if he chose to involve 20 jurisdictions if he decides to tell LE where he left the body! And as if he was keeping track. Could you imagine him keeping a list (as if he was even aware of the boundaries) -- "Ok, here's jurisdiction 1, here's jurisdiction 2, ... jurisdiction 8 -- well, it's time to confess now!"

Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad he is not intelligent and ecstatic that he led LE to Mickey. I just cannot fathom why anyone would want to promote the idea of him being intelligent on the basis of no positive evidence, but much evidence to the contrary.

I don't like to use terms such as mastermind or genius when it comes to sick rapists and killers. In fact, I think they are all weak minded cowards that cannot control their urges and take out their insufficiencies in life on an innocent victim.

There are some that are better at playing the sick game than others. What makes them better at it is having more control at the beginning, catching victims at the right time, making sure DNA is contained, not changing their routine, etc. Brandon did none of these things.

He likely did destroy most of the evidence when the truck was burned but at the same time, it is also a big part in why he was caught. Burning the truck was not an intelligent move in my opinion, it was an act of desperation.

Yep Cajun strong, plenty of money to travel and plenty of free time. That isn't even counting him working on land rigs while being "offshore"

The big problem is we don't know his work schedule, if he worked a set hitch or if he did hotshots & landrigs or worked 24 hour call. If he worked 24 hour call the opportunity to travel a distance is decreased. Since he seems to have traveled to Texas frequently I think he probably worked a set hitch offshore which gave him time off between hitches.

I wonder if he paid cash for his properties which would indicate he saved money or financed the properties.

It has occurred to me that all of BSL's victims may not have gone missing. Just as he entered the home in Reddell and committed a crime he may have done the same in other situations but also killed the victim.

It has occurred to me that all of BSL's victims may not have gone missing. Just as he entered the home in Reddell and committed a crime he may have done the same in other situations but also killed the victim.

I have thought about that too... IMO if he caught them at home he killed them there... if he grabbed them off the street or "met them" somewhere they went "missing"

BUT I might be wrong! Would not be the first time!

I have thought about that too... IMO if he caught them at home he killed them there... if he grabbed them off the street or "met them" somewhere they went "missing"

BUT I might be wrong! Would not be the first time!

What made me really think of it was a woman I know very sadly had 2 of her children murdered, one of which was a young woman living in a town not too far from BSL.
The case is cold and she knows next to nothing about it. But BSL would have been about 14 at the time and unless he somehow ended up in the town via someone else it is unlikely his work. From what I have ascertained she was strangled, no sign of forced entry, nothing seemed to be touched and no evidence of a struggle.
I don't know how these people cope after these horrible things happening to their children. :(

RE: what difference would it make if he chose to involve 20 jurisdictions if he decides to tell LE where he left the body!

'Montjoy, I believe that there should be a question mark at the end of that sentence, rather than an exclamation mark..

I don't remember anyone stating that BSL was intelligent. We don't know BSL's IQ at this point. Aware, calculating, creative, and deflective has been used as a description of him.

It has yet to be verified that BSL gave up the remains location. If it turns out that he did. This would not be precedent.. Many prolific serial killers such as Gary Hilton, Gary Ridgeway, Henry Lucas, etc., have negotiated using this trump card. Gary Hilton's IQ was within the top 10% of the world, yet he was described as a drifter/vagabond and portrayed as having low intelligence by investigators/MSM...

Imo, if not for an aware citizen's tip in Mickey Schunick's case. Serial Killer BS Lavergne, may or may not be identified and apprehended today. BSL's use of jurisdictional linkage blindness was not by accident, imo.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/profiling/steven_egger/8.html

Linkage blindness is a term coined by a professor Steven Egger, who did a study on serial murderers in democratic nations across the world and compared them with serial murderers in America.

What he found is that American law enforcement agencies take longer to identify serial murderers, and serial murderers commit more murders in America than they do in other democratic nations like England, Germany, and France. He attributes the reason for that to linkage blindness.

We have what the professor terms a non-system of policing. Our country is made up of a whole bunch of very, very small police departments. I think the average size is on average 15 police officers across the country. The police officers in these small departments think within their jurisdiction and not beyond their borders. Therefore, people can pass through their borders and commit criminal acts and then move on and never get caught. ...

"Dr. Egger addresses our most inner fears by researching the subject, defining ... to identify a serial killer due to "linkage blindness," another term coined by Egger. "Police don't share information across jurisdictional boundaries."

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway"]Gary Ridgway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Riverman Gary Ridgway, the "Green River Killer," who admitted killing 48 young ....actual number unknown..
The police believed that Ridgway, a man with a low 82 IQ, was thought to be idiot savant by investigators.
He had an IQ of 82 and failed to graduate high school until later receiving a GED. ... An idiot savant will display very low intelligence in all or most areas except for one.

What made me really think of it was a woman I know very sadly had 2 of her children murdered, one of which was a young woman living in a town not too far from BSL.
The case is cold and she knows next to nothing about it. But BSL would have been about 14 at the time and unless he somehow ended up in the town via someone else it is unlikely his work. From what I have ascertained she was strangled, no sign of forced entry, nothing seemed to be touched and no evidence of a struggle.
I don't know how these people cope after these horrible things happening to their children. :(

RE: But BSL would have been about 14 at the time and unless he somehow ended up in the town via someone else it is unlikely his work.

Boudin, there is that magic age of 14 years old again. I am not naive enough to think that Brandon Lavergne, was the only predator active in the area carrying out evil deeds. However, SK Gary Hilton, shot his stepfather at that magic age, and Gary Ridgeway, attempted to take his first innocent victim at 14 years of age.

He stabbed a 6 year old boy, who survived the attack & decades later appeared at his sentencing trial. He led the boy into the woods using a ruse and then stabbed him. The little boy asked GR, "Why did you Kill me"?

Ridgway walked away laughing and said, "I always wondered what it would feel like to kill someone."

Many serial killers cross the threshold at the age of fourteen.. Curious, I guess..

I just found out this date is incorrect. Danielle Thibodeaux's body was found October 28, 1998 on Aubrey Ozenne Rd in Broussard.
The Advocate (Baton Rouge, La.) - October 31, 1998
Acadiana parishes

Found body identified ST. MARTINVILLE - Investigators have identified the body of a person found in the woods by a hunter Wednesday, Capt. Newman Braud of the St. Martin Parish Sheriff's Office said in a press release.The body of Danielle Thibodeaux, 24, was found in a wooded area off Aubrey Ozenne Road in St. Martin Parish, Braud said. Thibodeaux's residence was not released. The St. Martin Parish Coroner's office has conducted an autopsy on...
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives

That is crazy! I've read 99 many times! We really need to put pressure on our media to check the facts, not just copy from some other article.

So Danielle died a year BEFORE Lisa? Not the same year?

Ted Bundy gave up the location of victims, and so have many other prolific killers. At first, people thought this was an accident. Then it began to seem maybe not. Then Brandon was arrested, and people still questioned if it was an accident. Then he was indicted for the murder of Lisa Pate in 1999 and people once again re thought if BSL was a serial killer.

You really think that a man that has killed a girl in 1999 and now in 2012,hasn't had many girls in between those two?... If he had not been in prison, chances are he would've been convicted on multiple counts of murder a long time ago

I see why you think he isn't a serial killer.
But using the fact that he gave up the location of a body as means of why he isn't doesn't make sense. He didn't do it out of compassion. That would have been a whole different thing.

Sorry, but I will think he has more victims until I'm proven otherwise. Solid proof of two murders, along with numerous things belonging to many women hiding in his home, makes me believe he has killed or at least planned to kill more.

I see why you think he isn't a serial killer.
But using the fact that he gave up the location of a body as means of why he isn't doesn't make sense. He didn't do it out of compassion. That would have been a whole different thing.

Oh, I said nothing of the sort. I said there was no reason to assume that he was a prolific serial killer, based on indictments for two murders. It is jumping the gun, and we do need to see more reliable information about what was found in the search. I think it's possible he killed more, for sure. But I have no reason to say it's likely or unlikely, based on the lack of information. To do so is mainly to be making assumptions.

I also agree that compassion likely had nothing to do with why he gave up the body. Just a hunch, but my guess was getting the DP off the table was his motivation. I truly don't care either way -- I'm just glad he confessed.

My problem with some of the repetitive, amateur armchair profiling is that it is coming to extreme conclusions based on little to no information. Like, there is no reason to call him 'creative' (especially when, out of the other side of one's mouth, one calls him an emulator, a copycat, the opposite of creative). How smart, cagey, creative, or 'deflective' does one need to be to white-out the RSO status on one's license? (That demonstrates to me the guile of an 8 year old.)

I think that some people fancy themselves as serial murder experts, after being flooded with TV programs about profilers for years. Perhaps there is some desire to find real serial killers fascinating like their TV counterparts. Bottom line, anyone who knows enough about psychopathology to make some of the conclusions I've read here would never attempt to do so with such minimal information.

We do not have many facts and most of us do not have experience in psychology, criminal behavior or law enforcement. I do hope that most of us realize this is not a crime show, and don't fancy ourselves experts because we have watched them. But a few may, when you have a large group of people chiming in there will be all kinds of personalities.

IMO websleuths is for sharing info and ideas. We are allowed to discuss theories and that is what I am doing when I post. I do not take opinions here as fact. I do think about them and some fit for me more than others. I appreciate when someone who knows more about a subject points out something I did not know. For example, I had never thought about jurisdictional linkage blindness. It makes sense that a criminal might use it. It seems to me bsl did. Does that indicate intelligence? IMO maybe not above average intelligence but probably not below avg either.

We use our instincts, prior experience, reason and knowledge as we go thru life. Especially to keep ourselves safe. The things we do know about bsl make me think he has committed more murders. Prolific? Well, who knows.

He seems to have knowledge of very good hiding places and placed evidence in different jurisdictions. Also, the fact that the disclosure documents state that he did similar or exactly the same things he did to his victim in 1999, makes me think he has a compulsion to do this. It is likely, IMO there are more victims of bsl out there. So glad he is locked away.
I hope that if there are other victims out there they can be found so that their families can know what happened.

Oh, I said nothing of the sort. I said there was no reason to assume that he was a prolific serial killer, based on indictments for two murders. It is jumping the gun, and we do need to see more reliable information about what was found in the search. I think it's possible he killed more, for sure. But I have no reason to say it's likely or unlikely, based on the lack of information. To do so is mainly to be making assumptions.

I also agree that compassion likely had nothing to do with why he gave up the body. Just a hunch, but my guess was getting the DP off the table was his motivation. I truly don't care either way -- I'm just glad he confessed.

My problem with some of the repetitive, amateur armchair profiling is that it is coming to extreme conclusions based on little to no information. Like, there is no reason to call him 'creative' (especially when, out of the other side of one's mouth, one calls him an emulator, a copycat, the opposite of creative). How smart, cagey, creative, or 'deflective' does one need to be to white-out the RSO status on one's license? (That demonstrates to me the guile of an 8 year old.)

I think that some people fancy themselves as serial murder experts, after being flooded with TV programs about profilers for years. Perhaps there is some desire to find real serial killers fascinating like their TV counterparts. Bottom line, anyone who knows enough about psychopathology to make some of the conclusions I've read here would never attempt to do so with such minimal information.

Understood.

But a man that has made a killing in 1999, and possibly even before, and has not been put behind bars after all of this time obviously isn't doing too much wrong. He isn't an idiot. If it weren't for the raid of his home, and his collection of "memorabilia" LE found, he might have gone years without being put away.

From what we know, he has just as much sense as most prolific serial killers.
Richard Ramirez was actually pretty stupid, for many reasons. But not when it came to killing.

I don't think anyone is "jumping the gun" as you say, because when you hear about someone with a huge time span between murders like this, the obvious wonder is going to be if he had victims in between that time span.

I very rarely jump the gun, with any of the killers I've read about on here.
For most, it was a one time thing.

There are many reasons I jumped the gun on Brandon, but it was never without reason.

Although I know most of what was found in the search of his home, even if the items didn't all belong to murdered/abducted women, it is enough to classify as stalking in some sort. And I do think there was a reason more to why he had those things, other than just "thinking they were pretty" or something.

He has gone this long without being convicted of anything, and we live in a day of the best technology, while criminals in the 1980s and 90s were being easily convicted without our advanced techniques we now have.

BSL might have reacted completely differently and not as "stupid" in the Mickey case, had it not gained national attention.
IF he did have any other victims, I doubt they received coverage like this.
And also, IF he did have other victims, his arrest for Mickey might have brought to light any other acts he had committed.

I think he panicked and acted stupid in the Mickey case, yes.
But i don't think that should be a light for any other thing he might possibly be involved in, because he's been very skilled at lying his way out of things.

I also want to say that from the info we have, bsl showed signs of learning from his past crime, being prepared with knowledge of dump sites and tools to commit and hide crimes. He showed signs of intelligence and of stupidity, signs of desperation and of planning.
If he has done this in the past I think something he had not planned on happened with Mickey. Perhaps this caused him to make mistakes he did not in the past.

Understood.

But a man that has made a killing in 1999, and possibly even before, and has not been put behind bars after all of this time obviously isn't doing too much wrong.

You're forgetting that he has spent years in prison. (Probably not long enough, but the fact remains and what you wrote was incorrect, so it's a faulty premise for what follows.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back