CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a child in my classroom who would come in with dried feces up his back, down his legs and all over his bottom. Reeked of it. Other children drawing away from this poor child. Not once,everyday. Roaches crawled out of his backpack. DSS was called constantly. They got tired of hearing about it. Wanted to know what I, as his teacher, was willing to do to help clean him up for class.

Nooooo!
How awful is that!

I have had a child in my classroom who would come in with dried feces up his back, down his legs and all over his bottom. Reeked of it. Other children drawing away from this poor child. Not once,everyday. Roaches crawled out of his backpack. DSS was called constantly. They got tired of hearing about it. Wanted to know what I, as his teacher, was willing to do to help clean him up for class.

Wow. I had a boy like that but it was dog feces. Everyday we would wash his clothes. I reported it to child protection after a parent told me how filthy the house was and no one would allow their children to play with the child.

They did go out and help the parent with cleaning. I don’t know any details as the mother was enraged with me and took the child out of my classroom.

I learned over years to get tough with child protection. They get a lot of reports . My son in law works in social services but not child protection.I was complaining to him about the lack of action with child protection.

He said that what looks like a crisis to me may be nothing compared to what they are working on. I am sure that is true. The average amount of time someone stays at a child protection job is two years.

My daughter walked off of her great job with benefits one Friday. She worked as a therapist for civlly committed sex offenders, She could not stand it one more day.

She had no job to go to. I sent her info on working child protection for the county. She told me there was no way she would do that job.

Very sorry about the 12/10 mixup, before. I was checking out 12's thumb first. :blushing:

I can agree to disagree on this. I was of the opinion early on that they looked pretty good....for a group of say 6 or 7 years to 21 or so. I wouldn't stop to do the math or wonder or gape in public. In most everyday settings I'd consider their medical condition or hygiene or discipline practices None of My Business. I'd probably get a kick out of the matching outfits. I can see where they are considered a pretty good looking bunch at a glance in these snapshots in time.

But, to see them when they were a dozen minor kids & babies, and again actually around, what, probably six to twenty-three our so, then finally to see them here in the Suess shirts or the 2015 renewal video....I now just see trapped, tortured souls.

But they are free now! And it sounds like they will have many opportunities from here on out to reach their new potential. They still have a lot of obstacles ahead of them, but they are free. And for that I am grateful.

Very sorry about the 12/10 mixup, before. I was checking out 12's thumb first. :blushing:

I can agree to disagree on this. I was of the opinion early on that they looked pretty good....for a group of say 6 or 7 years to 21 or so. I wouldn't stop to do the math or wonder or gape in public. In most everyday settings I'd consider their medical condition or hygiene or discipline practices None of My Business. I'd probably get a kick out of the matching outfits. I can see where they are considered a pretty good looking bunch at a glance in these snapshots in time.

But, to see them when they were a dozen minor kids & babies, and again actually around, what, probably six to twenty-three our so, then finally to see them here in the Suess shirts or the 2015 renewal video....I now just see trapped, tortured souls.

But they are free now! And it sounds like they will have many opportunities from here on out to reach their new potential. They still have a lot of obstacles ahead of them, but they are free. And for that I am grateful.

They have several hundred thousands of dollars of money in donations. Do they have to spemd that down first and then they will get help from the govt?

Usually when you get govt help, you can have a tiny bit of assets. Those are utilized first, Does anyone know?

Or since they were under the father’s health plan, can they pay for it for 18 months and then get kicked off?

Or is there some kind of other health plan they could get to cover their intense needs for years?

The older victims had their fathers insurance? I thought that only lasted till around 24 and in school?

The older victims had their fathers insurance? I thought that only lasted till around 24 and in school?

I doubt if they had insurance. Is it 26 now? Do you have to be in school? Don’t know.

Of course it did not matter for the older ones as they never went to the doctor, I am sure.

Do you think a doctor treated her for infertility? That is as bad almost as octomom

This was most recent donation info I can find.

I think I've read they will set up a trust. I believe that will shelter some of that money from being considered for state aid eligibility, but I could be wrong.

Donations surpass $450,000 to Turpin siblings in Perris torture case
https://www.pe.com/2018/02/08/donations-surpass-450000-to-turpin-siblings-in-perris-torture-case/

The most donations so far have gone to the Perris Sibling Support Fund set up by the Riverside University Health System Foundation. It had collected at least $275,000 by Thursday, said foundation Executive Director Erin Phillips.

A fund set up by the Corona Chamber of Commerce has raised almost $180,000, including about $6,500 in a Jan. 31 fundraiser at area restaurants, said Corona Chamber Foundation President Don Williamson, the chamber’s finance chairman.

The most recent effort to help the siblings is a scholarship fund, announced Feb. 1 and recently renamed the Perris Inspires Fund, that was established by the city of Perris and Mt. San Jacinto College, where the oldest Turpin son once took classes.

About $100 has been donated so far, said college spokeswoman Karin Marriott.

I doubt if they had insurance. Is it 26 now? Do you have to be in school? Don’t know.

Of course it did not matter for the older ones as they never went to the doctor, I am sure.

Do you think a doctor treated her for infertility? That is as bad almost as octomom
Yeah it is!

People have said that there were other things that failed the children. What could those have been?

1. The teachers and staff at the school that the oldest girl attended could have taken notice of her lack of hygiene and lack of friends

2. The condition of the homes in Texas could have been reported

3. What did any doctors think? The one boy has glasses so someone saw him unless it was at a mall eye place.

4. The rules of home or private schools in CA had no interaction?

5. Neighbors who saw the childen marching for hours and out late at night but never in the daytime.

6. The person and the LE who had interaction with the runaway child in Texas.

7. People who saw the thiness of the children may have thought they had cancer. Starvation would not come to mind in a nice suburban area.

Hindsight is always so perfect. 20/20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hindsight is always so perfect. 20/20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This list was in response to someone who said the children were failed by many. So I thought about what could have changed things. Perhaps some of us will be thnking about children when we see something off now.

I apologize if this is an old topic, but the diaper situation is perplexing. According to reports about the Rio Vista home, it was filled with dirty diapers. But wouldn’t the youngest child have been about four at the time they moved? In the Perris house, boxes of diapers were seen through the window. Would’t the baby, #13, be 3-4 by now? Maybe I’ve gotten the ages of the two youngest children wrong, but I wonder if perhaps any of the older children needed diapers... Perhaps the cost of the diapers (plus the task of changing them) may have become overwhelming and led to the child (or children) being restrained to one area in the house. Such a horrifying thought.

I apologize if this is an old topic, but the diaper situation is perplexing. According to reports about the Rio Vista home, it was filled with dirty diapers. But wouldn’t the youngest child have been about four at the time they moved? In the Perris house, boxes of diapers were seen through the window. Would’t the baby, #13, be 3-4 by now? Maybe I’ve gotten the ages of the two youngest children wrong, but I wonder if perhaps any of the older children needed diapers... Perhaps the cost of the diapers (plus the task of changing them) may have become overwhelming and led to the child (or children) being restrained to one area in the house. Such a horrifying thought.

Depends if the youngest was potty trained yet.
My brother was wearing diapers up until he was almost 5.
I assume potty training wasn't high on the list for the Turpin's.

IMO

I believe you are right, or at least in the right ballpark, as to the age of #12 when they moved - although I'm not sure WHICH house in Texas that was or exactly when they left it.
As for #13, she isn't yet 3 although I believe she will be within the next couple of months. The initial news report certainly said the youngest was 2.

If the children we're being restrained, they could've been forced to wear diapers during their confinement, despite age and ability.
JMO MOO etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/...ess.com/2018/01/turpin-family.jpg&w=2200&q=70

I have noticed a couple more issues with the image with the beautiful 13. The one on the very left and beautiful # 12 are holding hands, #12 has a bandaid on her thumb. Also, the hand that is on the very left's shoulder looks edematous(puffy/swollen). The hand appears to be from #5. Could be camera angle but it has always stood out to me.

I just noticed the 3 legs next to tee shirt T12 & person wearing T3. The leg behind the tee shirt 12 and T3's leg does not appear to line up with the brother behind T12. I think this has been pieced together - especially the odd hand on T10's chest.

I'm sure they were able to wash their hair every now and again.
You don't have to shower to wash your hair.

IMO

I’m not sure of anything. Shampoo is more expensive than soap, so not sure why they would be allowed to wash their hair if they weren’t taking regular showers.

Ridiculous. Sigh.

I used to run the nursery at a church and one of the babies would come in like that. I would wash him off in the sink, but it would take forever because his skin was so delicate where the feces were dried and matted. I couldn’t get anyone at the church to help do anything about it and I was in my early 20s and didn’t know what else to do. I still think about that previous baby, who would be in his 30s now.

I just noticed the 3 legs next to tee shirt T12 & person wearing T3. The leg behind the tee shirt 12 and T3's leg does not appear to line up with the brother behind T12. I think this has been pieced together - especially the odd hand on T10's chest.

Looks to me like that leg lines up fine.

I’m not sure of anything. Shampoo is more expensive than soap, so not sure why they would be allowed to wash their hair if they weren’t taking regular showers.

I don't want to go too far off topic but some people don't use shampoo to wash their hair. I went off shampoo years ago. Instead, I use a vinegar rinse with just a little bit of baking soda to rub into my scalp. I do the same to my daughter's hair. Mine has never looked healthier/better. The Turpins could have used something similar. They were all about appearances so I could see them keeping the girls' hair looking good. Ugly, greasy, ratty hair doesn't look good in pictures (though you can't smell unclean bodies through the computer).

I am not wishing to bring up an already discussed topic; however wanted to say something in regards to homeschooling. I homeschool my 12 year old. He is an “Independent Studies” student. We do not necessarily follow a specific curriculum; however follow his interests. He does receive instruction in core areas where we would expect to see progress, such as math. Most colleges and even universities, except a handful and if the student pursues civil service, do not require a high school diploma or GED. This is why there is a precedence in the homeschooling community of having students “dual enrolled”. Meaning they are continuing there high school instruction, while also taking courses at a local college, as well. I understand the desire to place homeschooling as the reason no one noticed the plight of these children; however most homeschool families do not live a life of complete solitude. I agree, somewhere society failed these children. It just makes me extremely uncomfortable to place that “onus” on the homeschooling community. Aside from obvious health issues, traditional schooled students and their families could and probably do hide just as much from their educators.

Calling for home checks for every homeschool family and verification beyond what we are already required to provide, seems excessive. Some of it feels very “torch and pitchfork”, for lack of better words.

What happened to these children is atrocious. With each detail read, I am horrified and feel sick for what they experienced. It makes me kiss and hug mine a little closer. I know we all want to pinpoint where the world failed them...unfortunately it’s the hardest answer we can imagine hearing. Their parents failed them.

Home checks for homeschool families, is only excessive for those who have something to hide. If your children are happy healthy and learning, you should not have a problem with state verification of that fact. On the other hand for somebody like the Turpins, whose children were not happy, not healthy, and not learning, checks would be a big problem. There is no way they could have continued the abuse as long as they did, if there was any checks.

<modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members