CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout this case I have been thinking about the amount of energy it would take to suppress the innate personalities of your 13 children. Had they been chained and starved every minute of the day they would have died decades ago, so their treatment must have been somewhat inconsistent. Clearly from these videos there was a little bit of freedom at times and I'm sure some of the kids were savvy enough to get away with something like this. They must have been SO bored with nothing to do. No wonder they acted like normal teenagers to the best of their ability under the circumstances.

It's horrific. I don't understand the motivation. And the comment in the dog video about dad locking some door again drives home for me that it wasn't one parent. It was both. I will never totally get why.

Gypsy Rose was able to get on the net as well.

Yeah. I mean come on. This is the internet age. Inmates in prisons get access to cell phones some how. North Koreans, some of the most oppressive and captive people on earth, are accessing the outside world through illegally imported cell phones, Ipads and DVDs, etc. In fact, I think it will be that regime's undoing eventually, because the citizens are slowly able to see what's happening elsewhere on the planet.

Perhaps the internet provided some impetus here as well.

By the way, I know we cannot post photos of minor victims or list their names. I know I asked for links earlier, but I don't think we are supposed to post their social media either, although that's a moot point now. But it is super interesting. And sad. I'm glad the media is blurring the images in the videos.

Oh my gosh. They caption some of the lyrics (in Portuguese). I translated some. "Seven days until I run away" was one.

Here's another: "And now? What do I do? Look at me. Here I am." :(

It's horrific. I don't understand the motivation. And the comment in the dog video about dad locking some door again drives home for me that it wasn't one parent. It was both. I will never totally get why.

Yeah. I mean come on. This is the internet age. Inmates in prisons get access to cell phones some how. North Koreans, some of the most oppressive and captive people on earth, are accessing the outside world through illegally imported cell phones, Ipads and DVDs, etc. In fact, I think it will be that regime's undoing eventually, because the citizens are slowly able to see what's happening elsewhere on the planet.

Perhaps the internet provided some impetus here as well.

By the way, I know we cannot post photos of minor victims or list their names. I know I asked for links earlier, but I don't think we are supposed to post their social media either, although that's a moot point now. But it is super interesting. And sad. I'm glad the media is blurring the images in the videos.

I was only asking to post the screen shots because people were trying to see if it was really her and her age appearance. I agree we shouldn’t post since she is a minor. I wasn’t thinking. Sorry about that :-/ Btw, based on what I have seen, I do believe it’s her. Seems like a sweetheart and so brave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep thinking about how stressful it must have been in that house...Every year at Christmas my (very large) family would gather at my Grandmother's house. With so many bodies on top of each other, it would get hot and noisy and crazy and sometimes you just needed to step outside for a moment of peace. I cannot imagine (literally) being locked in a house with 15 people day after day with nothing to exercise my brain or body. The stress must have been incredible.

This is what makes me look at the Disney photos and hope that their smiles were genuine. They got to be in the sunshine and outside of their box for a few moments in time.

It also has a fairly good summary of all the family story for those who can decode the Portuguese language. (I can’t speak it but can mostly read it.)
Wish there were such a good summary in English.

The one time my (Portuguese) ex boyfriend would be useful [emoji17]

The one time my (Portuguese) ex boyfriend would be useful [emoji17]

Google Translate does a fair job, although it really messed up on one caption, since it translated that LT was a "13-year-old mother" instead of a "mother of 13 youngsters".

I was only asking to post the screen shots because people were trying to see if it was really her and her age appearance. I agree we shouldn’t post since she is a minor. I wasn’t thinking. Sorry about that :-/ Btw, based on what I have seen, I do believe it’s her. Seems like a sweetheart and so brave.

No, no, I get that! I made a mistake with the social media link. Easy to do!!!

I keep thinking about how stressful it must have been in that house...Every year at Christmas my (very large) family would gather at my Grandmother's house. With so many bodies on top of each other, it would get hot and noisy and crazy and sometimes you just needed to step outside for a moment of peace. I cannot imagine (literally) being locked in a house with 15 people day after day with nothing to exercise my brain or body. The stress must have been incredible..

Yeah, we presume they actually like each other and want to be together. Maybe some of them really just want to be alone.

It's possible. But that presumes that she had a good knowledge of the show. The Lacey alter-ego only appeared in a few episodes toward the end of the second season. Perhaps she was allowed to watch, since it is a Disney creation / derivation?

The Turpin parents may have actually shown some shows or movies to the kids. They had a lot of videos. Their fantasy of being a happy family may have included “movie night” with the parents choosing the show(s) and the kids who were not being punished getting to watch.

We need to get away from the idea that the children were locked up in a dungeon 24-7. They were imprisoned, but the conditions of the prison seem to have varied. Not only is it likely that some were treated better than others but it is probable that their parents were not always focused on torturing all of them. Withholding food may well have been the only consistent (regular) cruelty. Beatings and so forth would depend on circumstances/parent’s mood. What they could do to “entertain” themselves or even to get an education may have varied from day to day. We know they were allowed (to some extent) to sing. We know they went to Disney and to the Vegas renewal of vows. One of them attended college.

The Turpin parents may have actually shown some shows or movies to the kids. They had a lot of videos. Their fantasy of being a happy family may have included “movie night” with the parents choosing the show(s) and the kids who were not being punished getting to watch.

We need to get away from the idea that the children were locked up in a dungeon 24-7. They were imprisoned, but the conditions of the prison seem to have varied. Not only is it likely that some were treated better than others but it is probable that their parents were not always focused on torturing all of them. Withholding food may well have been the only consistent (regular) cruelty. Beatings and so forth would depend on circumstances/parent’s mood. What they could do to “entertain” themselves or even to get an education may have varied from day to day. We know they were allowed (to some extent) to sing. We know they went to Disney and to the Vegas renewal of vows. One of them attended college.

Not to make light of the abuse or horrific situations for these kids. But legally, this is exactly the types of things that the defense will present if there is a trial. This is a good point.

Satch

Google Translate does a fair job, although it really messed up on one caption, since it translated that LT was a "13-year-old mother" instead of a "mother of 13 youngsters".
At the bottom of my phone screen, it had a tab for Portuguese and english. The English was almost perfect. At least enough to really be able to read it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not sure if this has been posted. At the end, it says “The prosecution has said the children will testify against their parents at trial.” http://people.com/crime/california-house-of-horrors-5-major-recent-developments/

And if the defense attorney cross examines too harshly, it will backfire. So he will try to undermine their testimony in very subtle ways, probably chatting about movies they watched, the trips, etc. The prosecution will need to prepare them well. Of course, the parents could save their kids from this by pleading guilty. I doubt LT will do that, but DT might be persuaded to plead to lesser charges and testify against her. Whatever happens is a couple of years out, the way cases go.

Not sure if this has been posted. At the end, it says “The prosecution has said the children will testify against their parents at trial.” http://people.com/crime/california-house-of-horrors-5-major-recent-developments/

“We went and saw David and he was just sobbing,” added Andreassen. “He would sob, like his shoulders would shake up and down.”

“I said ‘I don’t know all the things you’ve done,’ and he said, ‘It will come out.’ ”

"3. Children Have Become Known Locally as ‘The Magnificent 13’ — and Are Described as ‘Warm and Loving’

Corona, California, mayor Karen Spiegel, who works closely with the nurses caring for the siblings, told PEOPLE that local supporters don’t refer to them as the Turpins because they don’t want to associate them with their parents. Instead, they are called “The Magnificent 13.”"

Snip

"According to Osborn, have also been exposed to entertainment and technology they’d been deprived of, reading Harry Potter books and using iPads."

http://people.com/crime/california-house-of-horrors-5-major-recent-developments/

------------Comments about David Turpin being “unmasculine” or even crypto-gay, and speculation about his lack of masculinity being behind Louise’s alleged “dominance” bother me.

Specifically, I would characterize DT as a geek. I have known many geeks in my life, and most were not gay or unmasculine.

It bothers me that we are jumping to conclusions like these.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:peace:

Yeah, it bothers me when someone puts words in my mouth :)

Respectfully, I'm not the one jumping to conclusions. I don't think DT is gay- never said it, never hinted it, never intimated it - if someone assumes that's what I meant, that's on them. DT's lack of he-man masculinity (it's only my opinion but I'm allowed to have it just as we all are allowed here) is just an observation and it's neither positive nor negative - it's a valid descriptor like someone calling him a "geek".

My comment about LT being in charge* is neither positive nor negative. *not the term "dominant" - that's a loaded word and I wouldn't and didn't use it in this discussion. I also followed up that bullet with the point about them being equal partners in the behavior. Ebb and flow.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that" is a phrase that has grown to encompass pretty much anything when you don't want to offend anyone who might get their panties in a twist when making an observation that is neither negative or positive. It hasn't been just about sexual orientation for well over a 20 years. I guess that backfired, lol.

One might have been well advised to insert [Seinfeld] after referring to someone as a "geek" lol! My partner and I are both Big Ole Geeks, and we don't take offense, but if someone gets tweaked about non-judgmental use of the adjectives masculine or feminine and equating them with sexual orientation and equating them with the term "dominance" (not my word!), then I guess someone can get cranky about the descriptor of "geek" based on traditional and historical definitions.

LOL, I have never thought of the term "geek" as masculine, feminine, gay, lesbian, whatever, so... hmm.

Also never heard of the term crypto-gay before this and neither have my

------------Comments about David Turpin being “unmasculine” or even crypto-gay, and speculation about his lack of masculinity being behind Louise’s alleged “dominance” bother me.

Specifically, I would characterize DT as a geek. I have known many geeks in my life, and most were not gay or unmasculine.

It bothers me that we are jumping to conclusions like these.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:peace:

Yeah, it bothers me when someone puts words in my mouth :)

Respectfully, I'm not the one jumping to conclusions. I don't think DT is gay- never said it, never hinted it, never intimated it - if someone assumes that's what I meant, that's on them. DT's lack of he-man masculinity (it's only my opinion but I'm allowed to have it just as we all are allowed here) is just an observation and it's neither positive nor negative - it's a valid descriptor like someone calling him a "geek".

My comment about LT being in charge* is neither positive nor negative. *not the term "dominant" - that's a loaded word and I wouldn't and didn't use it in this discussion. I also followed up that bullet with the point about them being equal partners in the behavior. Ebb and flow.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that" is a phrase that has grown to encompass pretty much anything when you don't want to offend anyone who might get their panties in a twist when making an observation that is neither negative or positive. It hasn't been just about sexual orientation for well over a 20 years. I guess that backfired, lol.

One might have been well advised to insert [Seinfeld] after referring to someone as a "geek" lol! My partner and I are both Big Ole Geeks, and we don't take offense, but if someone gets tweaked about non-judgmental use of the adjectives masculine or feminine and equating them with sexual orientation and equating them with the term "dominance" (not my word!), then I guess someone can get cranky about the descriptor of "geek" based on traditional and historical definitions.

LOL, I have never thought of the term "geek" as masculine, feminine, gay, lesbian, whatever, so... hmm.

Also never heard of the term crypto-gay before this and neither have my
Well said! You are entitled to your observations. IMO Geek is a technoligical term like at Best Buy, the computer geeks fix the computers. A geek is Someone who is a bit awkward but very smart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member