CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on what you believe from DT's parents, they visited in Ca. either 4,5, or 6 yrs. ago and stayed for 5 days
according to them. I would suspect DT,LT and kids and DT's parents stayed at some motel/hotel near Disney.

Disneyland is less than an hour from where they lived. Not really any need for motel/hotel for DT/LT & family; but sure, the relatives could've stayed at motel/hotel.

IIRC, didn’t that same neighbor (Ashley?) say that after the Turpin’s had moved away from the TX home and they went over to check out the house, 2 dogs ran out the back door (after being in there for 2 weeks) and a kitten was found in the dumpster?
But what really haunts me about that interview was when she said “they continued to hear whimpering coming from the dumpster.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, and no authorities were contacted?

I remember it as "continued to hear whimpering on the property but could never find where it was coming from"?

Right! That’s it! But where were those whimpering sounds coming from and why didn’t they call the sheriff if they couldn’t determine what/where they were?

From your link:

CBS News has just learned that someone in Southern California has volunteered to take in and adopt all 13 of the kids and adults and their release to that family could happen as early as Monday.

Monday. Wow!

This is amazing.

I'm really thinking that someone in the media misunderstood something and is jumping the gun about plans to already place the kids in foster care. It's way too soon. The way medical experts were describing in interviews how precarious the "refeeding" process is in a case of severe starvation and malnourishment like this, I just don't think 1 week in a hospital is nearly enough time. From what I read, they can't do it too fast because otherwise the patient can actually go into shock and DIE. It hasn't even been a week since the kids were rescued. They were bringing them back slowly with IV fluids, then gradually solid food. They have to very slowly increase the calorie intake. And considering how weak the kids must have been and muscle wasting, they probably couldn't even walk right. So even when the nutrition is stabilized and their digestive system starts working again, they would likely need physical therapy to even walk right. A neurologist would have to evaluate how severe the neuropathy is. All of this takes time. And there are 13 kids. In 1 week? There's just no way.

I'm betting that someone misheard something. Maybe the kids are showing some improvement and they're being moved to a different area of the hospital? Maybe they think that they might be able to be moved to another facility for physical rehabilitation? My impression from everything I heard about the kids when they were found, and from what doctors were saying is that they were in very severe condition and some were close to death. They seemed especially worried about the 29 year old girl. I fully expected them to be in the hospital for WEEKS. Plural.

Sorry, I just posted about Refeeding Syndrome, I didn't see your post somehow. I agree it just seems like they're not ready to leave yet. But I'm not a Doctor either...

IIRC, didn’t that same neighbor (Ashley?) say that after the Turpin’s had moved away from the TX home and they went over to check out the house, 2 dogs ran out the back door (after being in there for 2 weeks) and a kitten was found in the dumpster that smelled of death?

But what really haunts me about that same interview was when she said that “they continued to hear whimperings coming from the dumpster.”

Yes. That is what I am talking about. There was at least one incident of known animal abandonment and abuse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In regards to foreclosed homes....

When a house goes into foreclosure, the bank owns it until someone else buys it. The bank is required to upkeep the house, winterize the pipes, and adhere to safety standards (such as installing railings, boarding up windows if necessary, snow removal, fix holes in floors). The bank is supposed to hire a company to do all that. I know b/c my DH works for such a company. Once the bank takes possession, these companies do an initial clean out, empty the entire contents and take them to the dump. Fix any safety issues, install lockboxes or change locks, and are required to check on the house biweekly.

Makes me wonder why the Texas home still had beds. Whatever bank foreclosed on that home did not follow the rules, or perhaps the rules are different in TX? But didnt some pics have boarded up windows? I wonder if the bank did do an initial clean out but left the beds? So many questions... I know the company my husband works for has called LE several times for suspicious things (they once found drugs, once maybe evidence of dog fighting). Just sad, as there were probably even more opportunities for someone to help these children!

I'm wondering about this as well, boarded up windows, feces, possible blood stains, etc... it seems there was much to imply that something nefarious could be going on in that home with children in it...

I'm really thinking that someone in the media misunderstood something and is jumping the gun about plans to already place the kids in foster care. It's way too soon. The way medical experts were describing in interviews how precarious the "refeeding" process is in a case of severe starvation and malnourishment like this, I just don't think 1 week in a hospital is nearly enough time. From what I read, they can't do it too fast because otherwise the patient can actually go into shock and DIE. It hasn't even been a week since the kids were rescued. They were bringing them back slowly with IV fluids, then gradually solid food. They have to very slowly increase the calorie intake. And considering how weak the kids must have been and muscle wasting, they probably couldn't even walk right. So even when the nutrition is stabilized and their digestive system starts working again, they would likely need physical therapy to even walk right. A neurologist would have to evaluate how severe the neuropathy is. All of this takes time. And there are 13 kids. In 1 week? There's just no way.

I'm betting that someone misheard something. Maybe the kids are showing some improvement and they're being moved to a different area of the hospital? Maybe they think that they might be able to be moved to another facility for physical rehabilitation? My impression from everything I heard about the kids when they were found, and from what doctors were saying is that they were in very severe condition and some were close to death. They seemed especially worried about the 29 year old girl. I fully expected them to be in the hospital for WEEKS. Plural.

I have zero worries that the hospital would release any prior to it being safe to do so regarding refeeding.

Yes I'm sure they know what they are doing, Monday is just not what I would have expected, given previous statements concerning their health when rescued.

Wow...they are being placed really soon it seems with a family. I hope authorities know this family and that they have the room, money, time, patience, love and resources to deal with 13 very challenging children. And yes, I am referring to them all as children, because mentally that is what they are. The older ones never had a childhood and IMO still deserve to be loved like a child and have fun and positive experiences before being made to 'grow up'.

I hope this foster family is not someone after money or fame. In my area, and from dealing with situations like this in my job, CPS is a joke and often places kids with terrible families. Ive had to file complaints on our local cps office several times due to them placing kids in abusive homes that have even had cps called on them before! So someone wanting to adopt them all right away raises alarm bells to me. I truly hope they end up with good people and not people after a check who will neglect them. I hope the home has room and space and they won't be cramped and stuffed in a room.

Whatever family they're placed with, they definitely need authorities monitoring it constantly and checking up on the kids. I also hope the family has no ties at all to the Turpins..and isn't relatives or family friends.

As for LTs sister, I think the only true thing she's said is that they experienced abuse growing up. I hope both sides of the families stay far away from the kids.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the kids have tried to tell someone in the past or reach out for help and were ignored and not believed. I see this all the time..abused kids reaching for help and adults saying they're lying or not following family rules. Makes me furious..and I've learned to believe the kids when they disclose abuse to me, but getting others to follow through can be a battle.

Im still very surprised the seventeen year old knew how to call the cops and report abuse and to even take photos if she only had a first grade level understanding of the world.

Best interview I've seen. Sexual component? DNA to determine father of children. FBI profile. Recovery problems.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/in-the-minds-of-criminals/

Thank you for sharing that. One thought I had while listening to her is the siblings may very well talk about what's been going on in the home because that's all they know, it was their world. They don't know to be embarrassed, if you understand what I'm saying. The reason I say this is while watching the wedding videos the kids didn't seem to be embarrassed about how awkward the whole thing was, they seemed to really be having some fun. We see the awkwardness but they didn't, I believe they saw it as a special event.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but the crib in the photo of Louise during pregnancy can be seen in these photos:https://radaronline.com/photos/turpin-house-horrors-photos-garbage-broken-toys-filth/

The over the top Radar online watermarking on all the images here is compromising my ability to see things in the images clearly.

Eta: just saw these, still catching up:

Those watermarks are so obnoxious. I can barely focus on the actual pictures. I mean I get using a watermark but come on radar.

I was thinking the same thing!

My opinion on the border collie biting the child, it wouldn't surprise me if it was aggressive as a result of its experience and upbringing in the home, if the poor dog itself was abused and had to witness violence in the home, of course no way to prove this. Re the 2 malteses, while they are healthy, thank goodness, I'm not so sure that their care would have continued. Not to mention the 2 dogs abandoned in Texas, just left there (jerks), and the dead kitten in the dumpster. As I mentioned before Ariel Castro used the dogs to control the girls. All moo.

What I read was the statement made by their former neighbor, who, as a kid, snooped around the outside of the house after the family had abandoned it. She said that there were 2 DEAD DOGS in the dumpster, and a LIVE KITTEN, that she took home and kept. Also, when she opened the back door,two starving dogs met her at the door. She said that they had apparently been eating soiled diapers. She never said anything about rescuing the dogs, so they probably died of starvation inside the house.........JMO

She seems to be reliving the fantasy of being young. It's the typical thing of planning the perfect wedding and having a baby. So she seems obsessed with that kind of young high school fantasy and is repeating the best parts of this fantasy - the wedding, the pregnancy, and becoming a mother.

It's over and over again in a continuous loop.

Great post! ITA.
It’s like Groundhog Day over and over. Wedding, honeymoon, pregnancy, baby...wedding, honeymoon, pregnancy, baby...

And the huge DVD collection, all of the unopened toys in the house and the Mickey Mouse clothing reminds me of something a teenage girl would have.

Her one sister T said in a recent interview that she always thought her sister Louise was quite well off, she always shopping and buying the newest clothing and new purses.

She sounds like she was living thar fantasy of pretending to be a teenager. Creepy!

The picture of them all on the couch is definitely taken at the Perris house, you can compare by looking at pictures in the media (taken from the neighbours back yard of the back of the property). Same curtains, same garden and the windows are the same.

It was probably around the time that they first moved in which would also explain the clean nursery as the baby is very young in the couch picture, maybe newborn.

Infant was born in 2015. Not directed at you, but reading the threads one would get thought that the home looked like an episode of Hoarders series.
I personally don't know what inside looked like. But since we see photos such as the one with newborn and siblings as well as one with LT and crib when prev, it could be assumption on many parts. We know of smell, and of not allowed to shower but once a year. Of being chained for long periods but jmho not much more as in visual.

And as far as home photos from Texas, we don't know what or if Turpin family did te damage. Most homes especially foreclosure homes need cleaning and replacing of carpet and repairs.

This is a horrible situation as we know and will get worse but jmho seeing comments as if strained carpet is from something criminal as in dead human is wrong with no proof. Jmho

I hate this :(
Yes, and regarding the crying animal they never found, imagine what else they might have turned up if this had been reported to a Humane Society or animal control. We have joined forces before, along with the fire department, to remove animals from drain pipes. Well, I also had to remove siding off of a garage once to rescue 3 kittens who were birthed in the rafters and had fallen down inside the walls.

So take those experiences of how crying animals are dealt with by authorities and rescues and imagine what could have happened if the neighbors had called and reported this. Walls could have been torn apart, weird spaces explored, and the DUMPSTER gone through.

Missed opportunities galore, here.

I do hope this report is inaccurate. It has been less than a week since these children were rescued from their unbelievably traumatic existence. I cannot begin to understand what they have been through in the past, and the physical, emotional and mental effects it has had on the only life they have known so far.
It must be so difficult for them to try to adjust to what they are experiencing now, care, cleanliness, food, love and a freedom from fear of punishment. This adjustment just cannot happen in a week surely they haven't even settled within the professional hospital/care environments where they are now - then after a short time being moved elsewhere? Please I hope not.

Their health is of paramount importance due to the treatment they have endured, and how would it be possible for the necessary medical and psychological treatment to continue if they were moved elsewhere?

I would hope they might in time begin to feel a sense of security with the present arrangements, please don't let that sense of security be taken from them too quickly.

I am so grateful to all those that have donated, and I can but wonder at the unbelievable joy these poor children may have at being given their own possession. Possessions like their own shoes, clothes, toiletries - I hope they are encouraged to write their names in their shoes. :(

Agree, sounds quick, but I have to assume all the medical professionals and care team members will only release them when and if they are ready, and with plans for continued care.

What I read was the statement made by their former neighbor, who, as a kid, snooped around the outside of the house after the family had abandoned it. She said that there were 2 DEAD DOGS in the dumpster, and a LIVE KITTEN, that she took home and kept. Also, when she opened the back door,two starving dogs met her at the door. She said that they had apparently been eating soiled diapers. She never said anything about rescuing the dogs, so they probably died of starvation inside the house.........JMO

( infuriating...all of this!! The kids and the animals! :furious: )

I am concerned about the comments from a neighbor in Texas who said that the dumpster at the abandoned home smelled like death. I am afraid that whoever disposed of the contents assumed the smell was rotting food/meat, no one looked, and God only knows what could have been in there.

As an animal rescuer, I'm going to point out that if these people had been pursued for abandoning those animals, leaving them to die locked in that Texas house, it's possible that these children would not have suffered for another decade. Maybe the authorities didn't know, if the neighbors did not report it. This is why it is so important to report animal abuse and abandonment.

The ball was dropped when it came to obvious animal abandonment and abuse on at least one occasion, but I'm betting it was not the only time.

Further, whoever cleaned out that house should have notified authorities and they should have been tracked. It was clear every time they left a place that they were living in horrid conditions with children. There were several missed opportunities on that front as well.

So how many times did the system fail these kids? Count up every move where the homes looked practically condemnable, and every time they abandoned an animal.

When we entered a home like this because of an animal hoarding or abandonment issue, here was the protocol. Humane workers/animal control ask police to open the place and accompany them. Photos are taken. Animals removed. Home is reported to the health department. Owners or residents are tracked. Minors and disabled adults are checked on because obviously they had been living in terrible conditions.

It seems none of this happened. Assuming no one called animal control, then it becomes the responsibility of the bank or owners of the rented home, who must be aware of these living conditions, to notify the authorities.

Often in animal rescue I get a case where a street animal is near death and I wonder how many people turned a blind eye before someone finally called us. Many. Many, I tell you. They don't have to help, they just need to make a damned phone call. Yet they don't. And then I am left with a 2 1/2 pound adult cat who is missing a leg and an eye, and eventually dies in my arms with me weeping over the fact that her internal organs were too damaged for me to save her despite immediate vet care.

This is what happened to these kids. The very same thing. Now they have lost years and will suffer, and the kind hospital folks will continue to have secondary traumatic stress disorder.

End of rant.

Agreed.

I'm also concerned, as a realtor, that no one reported anything after the house was foreclosed on.

In the past, I have worked for property maintenance companies who will deal with a foreclosed house once it is handed over to the bank and it concerns me that no body said anything to any authority about the state of the house, considering it may have been clear that children lived there (diapers).

I'm reluctant to question anyone else in all of this because, I very rarely notice much of anything going on with the people in my neighborhood and I'm sure I could miss something, but I do wonder why this wasn't bought to anyones attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enthusiastic