CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and regarding the crying animal they never found, imagine what else they might have turned up if this had been reported to a Humane Society or animal control. We have joined forces before, along with the fire department, to remove animals from drain pipes. Well, I also had to remove siding off of a garage once to rescue 3 kittens who were birthed in the rafters and had fallen down inside the walls.

So take those experiences of how crying animals are dealt with by authorities and rescues and imagine what could have happened if the neighbors had called and reported this. Walls could have been torn apart, weird spaces explored, and the DUMPSTER gone through.

Missed opportunities galore, here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

what if it was a newborn infant whimpering? I would have called the Humane Society/ASPCA or the cops at least if I feared digging around.

I've posted a rudimentary timeline on the Media and Timeline thread for this case. Not perfect, but helped me tie in the media info with data from the Bankruptcy filing and the estimates of when each of the survivors was born (thank you to the sleuthers who worked on that!). Will try and go back and improve the citations, but have to go run errands first. :(

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...se-Case-NO-DISCUSSION&p=13878471#post13878471

Here is a rudimentary timeline I've developed based on media references and several other WS postings (including a great summary of estimates of ages of the minor victims and the adult victims DOBs). I have tried to cite references for each but some are incomplete/imperfect; apologies for that and for some formatting issues, but trying to piece info together and get it shared so better timeline gurus can work with it.

Timeline
· DT and LT both grew up in Princeton WV.
· 1979 David Turpin graduated Princeton Senior HS
· In a brief interview with their local newspaper, the elder Turpin said his son grew up in West Virginia and attended Virginia Tech before moving away. https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...ildren-learned-of-allegations-from-reporters/
· 1984 LT and DT began dating. Mother PR was too scared to tell LT’s father WR that they were dating.
  • LT is the daughter of a former Mercer County, WV assessor. He was a preacher until she tried to elope with David, then Wayne became deputy assessor 26 years before retiring.
  • LT was 16 when she married DT, he was 8 years older (24)
  • LT was 16 years old when she and high school sweetheart DT left Princeton, West Virginia to Texas to elope (next 4 bullets also from this citation: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289527/David-Louise-Turpin-eloped-16.html)
  • Speaking to DailyMailTV, her sister TR tells how he convinced the school to let him sign LT out and then drove 1,000 miles across the country
  • 'He told her that if she would elope with him and marry him he would give her everything she ever wanted,' TR revealed
  • The couple was caught by police and returned to their hometown to wed, but the marriage strained LT’s relationship with her family, her sister reveals
  • TR says she always believed her sister had a 'richy' life because she owned so many homes and cars, but the family only found out the truth after their arrests
· 1986? - LT’s parents divorced within 2 years of Louise getting married and moving to TX (1986??)
· 7/22/88 - Survivor 1 born: 29 years old - DOB 7/28/88 - Jen <snip>
· 1992 Lived in Ft Worth TX
· 2/3/92 - Survivor 2 born: 25 years old - DOB 2/3/92 - Jos <snip>
· 11/3/93 Survivor 3 born: 24 years old - DOB 11/3/93 - Jes <snip>
· 11/17/95 Survivor 4 born: 22 years old - DOB 11/17/95 - Jon <snip>
· 5/21/1997 - Survivor 5 born: 20 years old - DOB 5/21/97 - Joy <snip>
· 1998 or 1999? - sister EJF last saw LT – “Another of LT’s sisters, EJF “told a British tabloid that she had not seen LT for 19 years, and neither she nor her parents were allowed to see or speak to the children.” https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...ildren-learned-of-allegations-from-reporters/
· 1998? - Survivor 6 born: 19 years old - Jul <snip>
· 1999? Survivor 7 born: 18 years old - Jea <snip>
· 1992-1999 lived in Ft Worth (https://www.yahoo.com/news/turpin-family-apos-texan-homes-093146516.html)
· The alleged abuse and neglect began when the family lived in the Fort Worth area, "with the parents at one point living apart from most of the children and dropping off food from time to time," said Michael Hestrin, district attorney for Riverside County. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...iblings-began-fort-worth-area-authorities-say
· 1999 moved to farm in Rio Vista - Rt 1 box 154-R, Rio Vista, TX 40K
· 2000? - Survivor 8 born (Escaped): 17 years old - Jor <snip>
· 2001 - One of the children, a 4-year-old girl (is this survivor 5?) was bitten by the family's border collie in 2001
· 11/5/2001 ? – vow renewal at Las Vegas
· 2002 or 2001? - Survivor 9 born: 15 or 16 years old - Jam <snip>
· 2003? - Survivor 10 born: 14 years old - Joa <snip>
· 2004? - Survivor 11 born: 13 years old - Jol <snip>
· 2005? - Survivor 12 born: 12 years old - Jul <snip>
· Lots of credit card debt particularly in 2007
· 2009 0r 2010 DT stopped working for Lockheed Martin.
· 4/2010 - doublewide mobile home foreclosed and farm foreclosed 595 Hill County Rd 1123 Rio Vista, TX
· Authorities, though, said that the children were starved and abused since at least 2010.
· Neighbors said they left abruptly and left things behind
· 2010 David’s income 181850 + she had 10K income, based on BK filing
· Court records show David Turpin had an engineering job at another defense contractor, Northrop Grumman, by the following year (after left Lockheed in 2010)
· Moved to Murietta in 2010.
· 3/21/2011 - “open date” of school – Sandcastle Day School
· 8/25/11 Filed Bankruptcy
- In 2011, LT appears to have written on a comment thread on the couple’s Facebook page: “David is working at Northrop again. We are doing good and we really like it here. It wiill (sic) be 2 years in June we moved here.”
· At the time of the bankruptcy, the couple was living in Murrieta, California. 39550 Saint Honore Dr Murrieta CA
· “The abuse and severe neglect intensified over time and intensified as they moved to California,”
· 10/29/2011 vow renewal in Las Vegas (just the 2 of them?) 26 years married. Elvis impersonator said all the children were there all three times.
· 2012 LT’s father retired and he told his local paper of his dream to go visit his daughter in California. She told him not to come ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289527/David-Louise-Turpin-eloped-16.html#ixzz54jaQTpxW)
· 2012 - Disneyland trip
· 2013 Vow renewal in LV Wedding Chapel (October) http://www.ptonline.net/news/local_...cle_de7a1080-7164-594c-882d-2b662276cf7c.html
· 2014 - Moved to current home in Perris CA
· Current address 160 Muir Woods Rd. Perris CA
· Baby 13 (the current 2-yr old) born about 2015
· Vow renewal 2015 in LV Wedding Chapel by Kent Ripley http://www.ptonline.net/news/local_...cle_de7a1080-7164-594c-882d-2b662276cf7c.html
· 2/2016 - LT’s mother died (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289527/David-Louise-Turpin-eloped-16.html)
· Louise did not attend either funeral nor visit the parents on their deathbeds (dailymail.co.uk)
· 5/2016 - LT’s father died
(http://www.seaverfuneralservice.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=1800177)
· A poster also observed on a previous thread that summer 2016 was when she'd read the family stopped traveling, and May 2016 is also when the Facebook comments died off from family
· 2015-2016? - 17 year old started planning the escape (had been planning this escape for 2 years a/o 1/2018)
· 10/ 2017 – LT sister TR spoke to LT on phone at Halloween,' she said. LT said she had gone trick-or-treating with the youngest. 'I asked her why she didn't take all of her kids. She said that they were older and had no interest in it.' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289527/David-Louise-Turpin-eloped-16.html#ixzz54jdAVWSK)
· 1/10/18 - Half brother BL had called her on Wednesday January 10, to talk about a possible trip out to California. 'Then she told me they wanted another child. I said are you serious? Why would you want another kid, haven't you got enough? But she said: 'Yes I want another child.' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289527/David-Louise-Turpin-eloped-16.html#ixzz54jdboeKq
· 1/14/18 LT and DT arrested

Awesome work.

( :furious:

#$@ )

I hear ya vmmking re your rants about the animal abuse, etc and the possible warning signs, etc...how did all this not get reported?

And thanks again for all you do with your animal rescue work!

:yourock: )

Either people assume the State won't do anything about it. Lax animal laws or people don't like to get the police involved. I'm shocked how many people will literally stand by and watch there neighbors apt get broken into or get mugged and no one calls the police. They just watch.

I only post occasionally and haven't at all for a while, but this situation brought me out of lurkerdom. Those poor, poor kids. My heart just breaks for them, especially the older ones. "Not allowed to wash" hit me hardest; I know how gross I feel if I skip a shower for just one day! :eek: And the oldest girl was 29! When I was 29, I had my own place (with roommates, but hey, expensive city!), a job, two cats, came and went as I pleased...those poor young adults have been robbed, and that is one thing they will never get back, that span of young-adult years.

As for calling the authorities: In retrospect, it's easy to say "why didn't anyone do X?" Especially since calling animal control will often uncover cases of child or dependent adult abuse. I wonder if people did call and nothing was done? I've called Animal Control when I've suspected animal abuse/neglect, and been told "nothing we can do." And this was a white, to outer appearances middle-class family, which had to play a factor, because "oh they look like nice people!" If the kids have seen a doctor, there are no excuses for them, to be sure; I wonder if there are doctors who see kids from isolated, religious home-school families who are "tame" and won't call authorities and have this kind of clientele? Just my speculation.

Petty, but annoying: who renews their vows over and over??? That's not a very popular thing where I live, and those who do, only do it ONCE. I hate policing how people spend their money but in this case - starving kids ffs! - it's irresistible.

what if it was a newborn infant whimpering? I would have called the Huame Socirty or the cops at least if I feared digging around.

I would have called too. I don&#8217;t understand why people are so reluctant to call police when they encounter something weird. Are they afraid to be thought a fool if it turns out to be nothing? Lose your ego, folks. It means nothing compared to saving a life, animal or human!

Knowing what we know now, I doubt LT would leave an infant behind unless it was deformed in some way. Then all bets are off!

More pictures of the alphabetized DVD collection here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289371/Extensive-DVD-collection-house-horrors-family.html

I can only imagine that the children had no or extremely limited access to the films. Surely if the kids were allowed to watch all these films- and they would have had plenty of time to do so - they would have known what a police officer was. How many films have police officers or similar in them?

"Now a forensic team from the local sheriff's office have revealed that the parents, if no-one else, kept themselves entertained with their vast, and perfectly alphabetized, DVD collection."

Snip

"Police, who went to the home after interviewing the escaped 17-year-old girl, found three of her brothers and sisters shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks while the others sat nearby in dark, foul-smelling surroundings."

Either people assume the State won't do anything about it. Lax animal laws or people don't like to get the police involved. I'm shocked how many people will literally stand by and watch there neighbors apt get broken into or get mugged and no one calls the police. They just watch.

(Or in my case, in a foreign country, being beaten by my ex and Im literally screaming bloody murder and "Heeeeelp!!!!" and nooooobody called. No need to comment back on this or derail the thread, im good now, just saying!!!)

so they managed to free 2 children but the third was still chained by the time the police gained entry. so did they force their way in,orwas the door answered?

I just joined this site, because I felt I HAD to say something. I have been reading about this case for the past several days and reading the posts here. I have heard about a lot of horrible things in my lifetime, but this has to REALLY gotten to me. I'm completely torn up and feel sick. I can't comprehend the unimaginable pain and fear these poor kids have suffered through their entire lives.

And yes, they are ALL KIDS. The so-called "adults" are only adults in a chronological sense. In every other way, they are children - physically, emotionally, and cognitively. They were starved and horrifically tortured and stunted. Their passage from childhood to young adulthood was spent in chains. Most other people spent their 21st birthday partying with their friends...these kids very likely spent it in agony, being chained to a bed and begging their sociopathic parents for food. I feel heartbroken for all of the kids, but in a way I really do feel even worse for the young adults. I have seen unblurred pictures of the kids, and when I see the older ones and how small and frail they are, I have to think of all the many years of starvation and torture they must have suffered to get to that point. I'm about to cry again as I'm writing this.

When everything is known, I honestly, truly believe that this will wind up being the worst case of child abuse ever reported. At least in the US. I did read about the Genie case which I think some people were talking about earlier, but in my opinion this is much worse because these kids suffered through DECADES of active, deliberate abuse and torture.

The parents (monsters) are pure evil. They weren't "mentally ill." Their actions showed that they deliberately caused the children pain because they WANTED to see them in pain. They starved the poor kids to near death, watching them suffer in agony, and then put food in front of them that they wouldn't let them eat. That is SADISTIC. I believe they genuinely hated the kids and enjoyed seeing them in pain. I agree with what some other people here have said about how the mother probably only liked babies and constantly wanted babies to have as a little "doll," but then didn't want the children anymore as they grew up. Then she began to despise them because they were in her way or somehow intruding on whatever sick fantasies she had. That would explain why it looks as though the older kids were abused the worst. She wanted to punish them for even existing.

I saw a picture of the kids sitting on a couch wearing red shirts and jeans and they're all barefoot. I think that picture was taken at the house in Perris, because to me it looks like the same backyard seen in the window behind them. The patio chairs and table look the same. The rooms looks surprisingly clean, so I'm thinking this must be from when they first moved there. If so, the picture would have been taken around 2014. That picture is absolutely heartbreaking to me though. The kids all look pale (as always), and I can tell you that I definitely see very obvious bruises or scars on their feet. A couple of people commented on this earlier, and yes I absolutely see it too. It's on the bony part of their ankles (I forget the term). Several of the kids have those marks on their feet. They look like two bruises evenly spaced apart. It's probably from whatever chains or shackles the monsters put on the kids. Also, on the far right, you can tell that the boy is so weak that he can barely sit up. Also remember that he would have been in his early 20's at that time...and yet, he looks like a little kid. A very sick, frail little boy. The thought that the "parents" made those kids pose in a staged photo like that to try look like a normal family, while they were so weak and sick is...I'm hearbroken and disgusted beyond words. The fact that they put shackles on that poor kid that was already sick and suffering...I can't even think of it anymore.

I'm sorry this post was so long. I had to get all of this off my chest. I've been crying and feeling nauseous the past several days, I can't stop thinking of these poor kids and haven't been able to sleep. :(

Awesome post and you say everything I want to say. These aren't parents. They aren't even human. No human who wasn't a sadist would ever think of treating their own children like the Turpins did. The photos of these children, and you are right, they are all children despite their ages, have sickened me. The older ones especially look like concentration camp survivors. The photos with the red t-shirts with the numbers on horrified me especially. Several of the children look skeletal when you look closely. I'm still sitting here shaking my head even days after this story broke.

What horrifies me the most is how many children will probably be living in the very same or worse situation right at this moment. If it hadn't been for the Shero daughter, #8, I truly believe that some of these children would have died. As a society, not just in North America, but globally, it is time that we became more nosey. I don't blame the neighbours or the extended family, however, there must have been red flags. If I saw children being marched about, or laying turf in the middle of the night, or my sibling practically disappeared and their children dropped off the map, especially if they discouraged visitation from family I would be on the phone to the authorities like a shot, to get the children checked out.

Ultimately, though, it is DT and LT that are to blame though. I'm trying to understand their motivation behind the actions and I just don't get it. I can't. I'm a parent, and as a single parent for a long time, I know I have gone without food, clothes etc myself to ensure my children had enough. I thought that would be any parents' instinct. Obviously not though. Some people have asked why the children tolerated this, but as far as we know it is the only life they have known. How would they even know how to stop this if it has been a lifelong experience. For them there has been a normalisation of the abuse. I feel so dreadfully sorry that this was the case. These poor children have been given not one single experience that would qualify them to cope with the adult demands in life, and I'm sure that even in the safe, nurturing hands of the medical staff, this new experience must be, at times terrifying.

These children need so much gentle, accepting love, and it is encouraging that someone in California has stepped up and offered to take all 13 children on. That is vitally important in my opinion. These children need to be kept together.

Was it the Rio Vista house that had air vents in the closet of the master bedroom? I guess someone was living in there.

If this mother is deemed mentally stable, I will eat my hats. The dad is so awkward, if you look at his body movements in the video, he just has no idea what to do with himself. Odd man.

Makes me wonder how many children are out there under these conditions that no one is aware of and will not be rescued.

so they managed to free 2 children but the third was still chained by the time the police gained entry. so did they force their way in,orwas the door answered?

This is an interesting question...

Oh how I wish I would win a gigantic lottery prize.
I would build these little darlings a HUGE house, custom-built to any and all of their needs.
Get them all the help they need medically, specialized mental health professionals, a dietary staff to meet each of their individual needs, etc. etc.
A playground, sandbox, bicycles, balls and bubbles to blow.

Like many of you, I've thought of little else these past few days except these children.
The more I think, the more heartbreaking it is. These kids have no idea of what the world is. They've likely never made a sandcastle. Or played with sidewalk chalk. Or had an Easter egg hunt and Easter baskets.
Went fishing, rode a bike, played any kind of outdoor kid games like hopscotch, jump rope or baseball. I'll bet they've never ate popsicles and run laughing through the sprinkler on a hot day.

I wish some big celebrities would unite for this cause and donate a TON of money to make this happen for them.
It would be so do-able, to set them up for life.

Monster Dad worked for government contractor firms, and most likely required a government &#8220;clearance&#8221; to work there. How the h@ll did he pass the background investigation to get a clearance...if he did?

Concerning....

More pictures of the alphabetized DVD collection here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289371/Extensive-DVD-collection-house-horrors-family.html

I can only imagine that the children had no or extremely limited access to the films. Surely if the kids were allowed to watch all these films- and they would have had plenty of time to do so - they would have known what a police officer was. How many films have police officers or similar in them?

So, these "parents" clearly had family friendly videos, "Everyone Loves Raymonde" etc etc, so they should know what real life families and real life should be like, eating together at the dinner table, etc...how was their own reality not such a glaring stark contrast to these "normal" tv videos, ec? I can only say then they knew what they were doing and they enjoyed it.

Regarding them going into a new home, I have to believe that authorities are taking this very seriously and are arranging appropriate physical and mental health care, probably by bringing home health care professionals in just as is done for the elderly when they leave a hospital, and possibly through some outpatient care.

We do not know the qualifications of the individuals offering to give them a home. It's quite possible that one or both of the prospective new parents have nursing or mental health backgrounds.

I really don't believe they are just moving them to an otherwise normal fostering situation. I am betting that qualified people have stepped up to do this, who likely have backgrounds in health care (possibly mental health care).

In fact, it's possible that one of the hospital staff has been so touched that they have chosen to take a leave of absence at work and do this instead.

We just don't know. But as high profile as this case is, and as emotionally affected as the hospital professionals seem to be, I can't believe that they don't have multiple advocates making sure that the best decisions are made.

Absolutely agree.

what if it was a newborn infant whimpering? I would have called the Humane Society/ASPCA or the cops at least if I feared digging around.
Yup. I thought I heard a cat crying once, and it turned out to be an infant (who was fine). I always investigate cries of any kind.

I'm really thinking that someone in the media misunderstood something and is jumping the gun about plans to already place the kids in foster care. It's way too soon. The way medical experts were describing in interviews how precarious the "refeeding" process is in a case of severe starvation and malnourishment like this, I just don't think 1 week in a hospital is nearly enough time. From what I read, they can't do it too fast because otherwise the patient can actually go into shock and DIE. It hasn't even been a week since the kids were rescued. They were bringing them back slowly with IV fluids, then gradually solid food. They have to very slowly increase the calorie intake. And considering how weak the kids must have been and muscle wasting, they probably couldn't even walk right. So even when the nutrition is stabilized and their digestive system starts working again, they would likely need physical therapy to even walk right. A neurologist would have to evaluate how severe the neuropathy is. All of this takes time. And there are 13 kids. In 1 week? There's just no way.

I'm betting that someone misheard something. Maybe the kids are showing some improvement and they're being moved to a different area of the hospital? Maybe they think that they might be able to be moved to another facility for physical rehabilitation? My impression from everything I heard about the kids when they were found, and from what doctors were saying is that they were in very severe condition and some were close to death. They seemed especially worried about the 29 year old girl. I fully expected them to be in the hospital for WEEKS. Plural.

This is true also, IVs, all that stuff...

I only post occasionally and haven't at all for a while, but this situation brought me out of lurkerdom. Those poor, poor kids. My heart just breaks for them, especially the older ones. "Not allowed to wash" hit me hardest; I know how gross I feel if I skip a shower for just one day! :eek: And the oldest girl was 29! When I was 29, I had my own place (with roommates, but hey, expensive city!), a job, two cats, came and went as I pleased...those poor young adults have been robbed, and that is one thing they will never get back, that span of young-adult years.

As for calling the authorities: In retrospect, it's easy to say "why didn't anyone do X?" Especially since calling animal control will often uncover cases of child or dependent adult abuse. I wonder if people did call and nothing was done? I've called Animal Control when I've suspected animal abuse/neglect, and been told "nothing we can do." And this was a white, to outer appearances middle-class family, which had to play a factor, because "oh they look like nice people!" If the kids have seen a doctor, there are no excuses for them, to be sure; I wonder if there are doctors who see kids from isolated, religious home-school families who are "tame" and won't call authorities and have this kind of clientele? Just my speculation.

Petty, but annoying: who renews their vows over and over??? That's not a very popular thing where I live, and those who do, only do it ONCE. I hate policing how people spend their money but in this case - starving kids ffs! - it's irresistible.
I've been thinking about this some more, and I bet the neighbors didn't call because they were worried about telling authorities that they knew this because the neighbor kid had essentially broken into the house. I wish they would have realized that at most, LE may have given the child a stern talking to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member