CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not caught up with the 200 posts made last night while I slept, so maybe someone else has weighed in on this. But I sew, my mom and grandma sewed, and I can tell you that even for people who sew all the time, it takes incredible concentration to sew dresses of this nature. They aren't just sack dresses.

It also takes an uncluttered, clean space to do this, and it takes time, lots of time. I spent at least a full day making a quilted stuffed animal from scratch for a little beloved in my life. Cutting out the patterns itself takes a lot of time and can be backbreaking, leaning over the table. She could have made them do this part, I suppose, but there's still a ton of work sewing things together in the right order.

It often implies caring to follow through with such a project. I don't think she made these dresses. She may have given basic measurements to someone else to do so, though. Although I have a feeling you could find something like this available online and just order a bunch.

ETA - it also costs more to make than to buy, which is why making them also implies a level of care for the recipient unless someone just loves to sew. While you can get good deals on fabric, the odds of finding enough matching fabric on sale for such a project is slim.

You're right about the effort/care/time/ability/cost on sewing those matching dresses. I have the feeling she bought them all off etsy.

About the weight of the children - the younger ones don't appear to be quite as malnourished as the older ones. I'm wondering if LT never increased their food portions as they aged. The toddlers were given toddler size portions, but as they aged, the portions never increased and always stayed toddler size. A 6-8 year old living on toddler portions wouldn't look as malnourished as an 18 year old living on toddler portions.

I just can’t see her investing that kind of time and energy into something for the children.
I just did a quick search online for retro plaid dresses and you can find similar conservative styles available for as little as $17. I suspect she ordered a bunch of cheap retro dresses online.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Would they open an investigation in Texas if information comes out from the children that abuse happened there as well? Could California LE be able to go to Texas to do any kind of investigation?

I have wondered about something. If more evidence comes out confirming that the children and adult children were being kept locked up and restrained in TX, could the fact that they moved them to CA against their will make this a federal case?

You're right about the effort/care/time/ability/cost on sewing those matching dresses. I have the feeling she bought them all off etsy.

About the weight of the children - the younger ones don't appear to be quite as malnourished as the older ones. I'm wondering if LT never increased their food portions as they aged. The toddlers were given toddler size portions, but as they aged, the portions never increased and always stayed toddler size. A 6-8 year old living on toddler portions wouldn't look as malnourished as an 18 year old living on toddler portions.

I suspect that the older survivors gave some or all of their portion to the the younger ones.

I have wondered about something. If more evidence comes out confirming that the children and adult children were being kept locked up and restrained in TX could the fact that they moved them to CA against their will make this a federal case?

What a good question!

Children's shoes,especially shoes like that, usually come in sizes up to a child's size 6. A child's 6 is an adult 8. I am not very big but I'm within the normal range for adult women and I wear a children's size 4. They are children's shoes but they probably come in sizes that fit many adults.
I do this! I'm a size 7 and cowboy boots for kids in the exact same style as adult boots are at least $40 cheaper. Now that I know this trick, I always look to see what's available in children's boots because I am hard on mine with what I do, so I don't want to pay exorbitant prices for something that I am going to get scuffed and muddy immediately.

What does this mean?

He is assuming they poured a concrete pad to set the trailer on. Most mobile homes do not have a concrete pad under them, they have numerous supports anchored into the ground.

He is assuming they poured a concrete pad to set the trailer on. Most mobile homes do not have a concrete pad under them, they have numerous supports anchored into the ground.

Aha. Thanks.

I don't recall if this People article on what a high school friend of DT's said about him has been posted.

http://people.com/crime/california-house-horrors-classmate-david-turpin-speaks/

Gilbert describes Turpin back then as “a homebody” who was never in trouble. He says Turpin was a member of the bible and chess clubs as well as the a cappella group.

“He was a quiet, very intelligent person,” Gilbert says. “Just, well actually sort of nerdy, and I don’t meant that in a bad way at all.”

Another article: Princeton Residents Remember Turpin

http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_37571d0b-50b6-56b7-b2d4-53c9f78d32e1.html

A copy of the 1979 Tiger Yearbook listed Turpin as a member of the treasurer of the Bible Club, co-captain of the Chess Club and a member of the Science Club and Acapella Choir. Like many of other seniors looking forward to graduation, David Turpin outlined his ambitions and personal motto.

His ambition was “to take up a career in electrical engineering and invent the light bulb.” And his motto was: “Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow,” according to the yearbook.

He’d have been a year ahead of my aunt in school, my Nana said she is looking for the elementary school yearbooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with you. I also sew. LT's life is way too scattered and disorganized to have the discipline to make those dresses.
She bought them online IMO.

I agree. I used to sew and unless you’re set up with a sewing table and a good machine, sewing that many dresses would’ve been a huge undertaking. I recently made a dog coat for one of my little doxies and by the time I bought the fabric, thread, Velcro, etc., and made it, I probably would’ve come out ahead just buying one online. Lol

I looked around for sites for handmade dresses and on Etsy, and I can’t find any place where there’s anything even close to those styles of purple plaid dresses though? Maybe she bought an old 80’s Butterick pattern and found a local seamstress to make them all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please can someone help me out and explain this to me in really simple terms? Coming from an island as small as the UK I get really confused with your different state laws and how charges work for crimes committed in more than one state.

If LE believe that the same crimes that they have been charged with also occurred when they lived in Texas, i.e. the same offences against the children but going back to before they lived in California, would this mean additional, separate charges to those already issued or would it mean extending the time period in the detail of the existing charges? Would proof that the children were abused in Texas increase their likely sentences?

Clearly if LE were to be looking for human remains then that’s another story altogether.

I am sure that as soon as the terrified girl told the dispatcher that she had photographs of her siblings, the dispatcher would have sent a Police car to her. It would then be up to the Police Officers to evaluate the situation. If she was lying and the photographs were kids fooling around then the parents would be informed. But as we know the photos could not have been staged.
I constantly try to imagine how the siblings were feeling once the 17 year old fled. The minutes must have felt like hours. Then when lots of Police Officers were bashing on the door "Police - open up"!! It was the parents time to panic. The siblings must have felt overwhelmed with relief and joy. I hope it gave the 29 year old the inspiration she needed to keep hanging on to life. I hope it gave all of them the inspiration they all needed to keep going. They must have kept the 17 year old in another Police car further down the street so she didn't see the Police raid on their 'home', and they were reunited in hospital....

My thought is that the children would have been scared at that time. Very much so. Not relieved, not joyous. Plain scared. Abusers rushing to get them unchained for whatever reason, and then strange voices, and then strange people, and all the confusion. And fear. I sure they are relieved now (that is the word I have heard used,) but that particular moment? Nothing but fear. All just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it possible the dresses were rentals from the Elvis wedding chapel?
Hmm. That's possible, and would explain them wearing them twice, years apart, if sizes had changed.

It is possible the statue of limitations has passed for the crimes in Texas or that authorities there feel the crimes would be impossible to prove in court.

An exception nationwide is murder. There is no statue of limitation on murder.

Also, the State of California is probably keeping them as guests for the rest of their lives. (This means in prison.)

In their BK filing they didn't admit to the oldest child right?

They probably didn't list the oldest because there are age limits to list dependents in a bankruptcy. She was older than the cutoff.

Idk, V-necks can be awkward when you bend over, or maybe feel too revealing at that age could be a modesty thing?

I had a bf who liked to strangle... and good riddance to the *advertiser censored*. I can't wear scarves or any thing constructive around my neck and am very claustrophobic to this day... 30-plus years later.

Can't imagine that they would want anything close around their neck.

Hello all ! As a child I personally was mentally and sexually abused by my step father who on Sundays hid behind a pulpit at our private Christian academy. I literally feel for these children. And while our stories are completely different I can relate on so many levels... given the above I wanted to just make a few observations/statements purely based on my opinion.

1. The charge of a Lewd act most likely involves the same girl who escaped. And for LE to charge him with it, and the level he is charged with (force etc) they would have to have hard proof. I am also fairly certain she is the same brave girl that is holding the 2 year old baby in one of the vow renewal photos.
2. In this type of scenario victims are not usually that brave to escape and call 911 etc., not because they don’t know how but because it has been beaten into you to not be. Period.
3. I have a strong feeling that baby is hers. When I became a mother (by my husband) I truly felt I could fight off an army if it was for my child. Most mothers can agree with me, you will do anything for your child.
4. DNA tests and doctors etc... you have to remember this is a process, asking if they want a hug or a blanket could be a trigger. I promise you all the LE, caregivers etc are working on gaining trust right now and that’s as far as they have gotten.
5. The v neck shirt topic. When you have been abused you also feel shame and just want to own your own body. It could be as simple as they want their bodies to be theirs. 30 years later and I still rarely wear a v-neck. And if I do, I have a cami under.
6. The leaving the food on the counter. My parents did that in regards to sweets. I was 7 and my step father would be eating a pie dropping the crumbs on the floors & I would be vacuuming up the crumbs from under him. It’s a total control thing & it’s sick. I didn’t ever really have treats until I was 14 years old.
7. Don’t try to get into the minds of the abusers. It’s not worth it. When I was around 8 I remember being woken up in the middle of the night because there was a slug in my parents bathroom. I had to go and grab the salt and pour it on it to kill it. My parents laid in bed and laughed at me the whole time. I still don’t understand why they thought it was funny. And I never want to understand.
8. I have a feeling they stayed up all night so that they would be less observed. Most people are sleeping when they are awake. Better chance of being under the radar.
9. The journals - I was allowed to keep a journal. However, I didn’t know at the time but my parents also read it. In hindsight I realize they used it to find out my fears etc. and then they indirectly used those fears against me.
10. The vow renewals - my parents renewed their vows twice... once after my step father admitted what he had done - he said it was their way of starting over ... and then again a year later when he admitted he had done it to my sister too.

Those are my opinion and thoughts ... I hope it helps.

Thank you for sharing your story. Great point in not trying to get into the minds of the abuser. I hope you've recovered or well on your way and living a fulfilling life now.

I have wondered about something. If more evidence comes out confirming that the children and adult children were being kept locked up and restrained in TX could the fact that they moved them to CA against their will make this a federal case?

Great question!

I have wondered about something. If more evidence comes out confirming that the children and adult children were being kept locked up and restrained in TX, could the fact that they moved them to CA against their will make this a federal case?

Not likely.

Look, as long as California does a good job with the prosecution, no other jurisdiction is going to prosecute. There's no reason to spend the money to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megan phillips lynch