CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The DA doesn't have the authority to withhold a 911 recording. It's a public record.

How to Obtain Records of 911 Calls in California

Just because a request has been made doesn't mean the agency has to release it. If it involves a minor child, and in this case it does, and particularly one in an ongoing criminal investigation, that might prevent it from being released under the terms of the public records act.

Does anyone know where to find the full wedding video where the survivors are actually saying their names?

I believe it has been removed from YouTube, and I can't find any mirrors for it. I think it's gone.

I've been having kind of a hard time keeping up with the discussion. And I also had to take a break for a while because emotionally I just couldn't handle it anymore. I like to think I'm usually a pretty level headed guy, but I could really feel myself sinking into depression.

Can someone please, PLEASE find some GOOD news about how the kids are doing now? I remember a representative from one of the hospitals saying that the younger kids are "physically, doing well, despite the horrifying ordeal they suffered." That's great news. Psychologically they're majorly screwed up I'm sure, but at least physically they're doing better. BUT I really want to also hear how the older kids, the young adults, are doing. Because it seems like they were the ones who were in much worse condition and some of them might have been close to dying. I remember either someone from the hospital or the District Attorney saying earlier that they are "comfortable," and the DA said in the press conference on Thursday that the kids are feeling "relieved" now. But I also read somewhere that there was still concern about the 29 year old girl.

So has anyone come across any new updates on the condition of the older kids? I know they are not going to be recovered yet and will still have lingering health problems for a long time. Especially since the hospital would have to refeed them slowly and carefully. But I really hope they are at least feeling better. It still breaks my heart to think how much pain they must have been in and how frail they were.

I want to know that they're at least starting to feel better, and are able to feel comfortable and even have a little fun for likely the first time in years.

It's only been a week. I think it's going to take a lot longer than that for them to recover. They are probably relieved as the DA said, but also in shock, scared, ashamed, confused...and traumatized.

Hi all. I'm a new member. This case literally makes me nauseous, but I can't stop reading about it.

I personally think all 13 kids are LT's biological children because the daughters seem too malnourished to sustain a pregnancy. Which leads me to another horrifying thought: What if one of the older boys is the biological father of the toddler? To be clear, that's purely speculation on my part. I wouldn't put anything past those monsters. I hope I'm wrong.

This doesn't mean that it will be released upon request. If it involves a minor child, and in this case it does, that might prevent it from being released under the terms of the public records act.

Well either way the DA doesn't have any authority over 911 tapes. That's the local law enforcement agency that has that, and they have to go by what the law says. California law is that 911 calls are a matter of public record.

I've been having kind of a hard time keeping up with the discussion. And I also had to take a break for a while because emotionally I just couldn't handle it anymore. I like to think I'm usually a pretty level headed guy, but I could really feel myself sinking into depression.

Can someone please, PLEASE find some GOOD news about how the kids are doing now? I remember a representative from one of the hospitals saying that the younger kids are "physically, doing well, despite the horrifying ordeal they suffered." That's great news. Psychologically they're majorly screwed up I'm sure, but at least physically they're doing better. BUT I really want to also hear how the older kids, the young adults, are doing. Because it seems like they were the ones who were in much worse condition and some of them might have been close to dying. I remember either someone from the hospital or the District Attorney saying earlier that they are "comfortable," and the DA said in the press conference on Thursday that the kids are feeling "relieved" now. But I also read somewhere that there was still concern about the 29 year old girl.

So has anyone come across any new updates on the condition of the older kids? I know they are not going to be recovered yet and will still have lingering health problems for a long time. Especially since the hospital would have to refeed them slowly and carefully. But I really hope they are at least feeling better. It still breaks my heart to think how much pain they must have been in and how frail they were.

I want to know that they're at least starting to feel better, and are able to feel comfortable and even have a little fun for likely the first time in years.
I have not found any particular good news updates over the weekend. The Press-Enterprise newspaper is located in the city of Riverside which is the county seat and where the court is located (unless they change the venue). This link has the newest articles all the time. In the long term, they will probably continue coverage as the rest of the world moves on to the next big story. hth (hope this helps)

https://www.pe.com/tag/perris-torture-case/

Has the 911 call been released? If not, does anyone think they will release it? I really want to hear it. I’m so proud of this girl for what she did for her siblings and herself. I’m also glad that 911’s dispatcher took her call seriously. I could easily imagine someone thinking it was a prank call at first because saying something like “my 11 siblings are being held hostage by my parents” just sounds so unreal.

I can’t imagine the simultanous fear and relief she must have felt.

I am sure that as soon as the terrified girl told the dispatcher that she had photographs of her siblings, the dispatcher would have sent a Police car to her. It would then be up to the Police Officers to evaluate the situation. If she was lying and the photographs were kids fooling around then the parents would be informed. But as we know the photos could not have been staged.
I constantly try to imagine how the siblings were feeling once the 17 year old fled. The minutes must have felt like hours. Then when lots of Police Officers were bashing on the door "Police - open up"!! It was the parents time to panic. The siblings must have felt overwhelmed with relief and joy. I hope it gave the 29 year old the inspiration she needed to keep hanging on to life. I hope it gave all of them the inspiration they all needed to keep going. They must have kept the 17 year old in another Police car further down the street so she didn't see the Police raid on their 'home', and they were reunited in hospital....

I can't help thinking that the way both LT and DT were raised, has had a lot of influence on this whole bizarre, tragic mess.
Both come from very religious families, and I think at least in their life together (but possibly also back in their own childhoods) this religion became an extreme, distorted version. I see slivers of Mormonism, with the need to keep producing babies. I see slivers of Exclusive Brethren with the no TV, the separation from the outside world, the children dressed identically with similar haircuts.
I think their young age when getting together, combined with some variety of mental/personality disorders, combined with religious fanaticism, resulted in their own weird cult like form of religion.

I hope that none of the extended family get custody of the children, because personally I believe that the family on both sides are extremely messed up, with a lot of religious bullcrap, compulsive lying, and attention seeking. I believe that these people will smile and praise God, but would sell their own souls for a dollar. And please note - I am using the word "religious" NOT "christian". There is a difference. These people will claim to be good christians, but nothing in their character reflects Christ.

I also recall reading one of the family members (and I have a feeling it was one of DT's parents) where quoted as having all kinds of denial about what has happened, but then actually said something like "This is so embarrassing for the family"
Embarrassing????? WTF???? Your family members have abused and starved, and tortured their own children ... and you are worried about how it looks? This is the kind of thing I hate. When people who play the part of "good christians" and it's all just for show. Makes me sick.

I agree and I also think that all of the family members on both sides have said some really bizarre things. The fact alone that DT's parents don't find a lot of it to be unusual or abusive, and don't even BELIEVE a lot of the evidence against them, says volumes. And I don't know what's going on with LT's family but they've also expressed some bizarre, possibly delusional reactions, and their stories are all over the map, though that could be shock. If neither family was concerned enough to take action before, I don't think the kids should have to go with them. All this abuse had to come from somewhere. The account of LT's parents' reactions to her marrying DT was also really, really strange. LT's father let his 16 year old daughter marry a 24 year old man...but then blamed LT's mother for it. My domestic abuse detector just shot through the roof. Also, I think LT's family is from West Virginia, correct? Are they from rural Appalachia? Because that kind of poverty and social isolation might explain why they thought it was a good idea for her to marry him, why they then thought of her as "richy" and thought she was living a wealthy lifestyle, and described them as a "respectable family" (having money and material goods equals respect), and some of the Turpins' hoarding tendencies (I recognize this in my own family amongst members who grew up impoverished and deprived, and adults shop like crazy and save everything).

It's only been a week. I think it's going to take a lot longer than that for them to recover. They are probably relieved as the DA said, but also in shock, scared, ashamed, confused...and traumatized.

I can't even imagine what these poor children have gone thru! What they were used to is nothing like what they will hopefully adapt to. I hope they can all stay together and help each other thru the process. They can understand each other. I just wish I could swoop them all up and hug them and hold them until they felt safe and trusting. These children have gotten into so many people's hearts! I can't wait for them to live a true celebration with each other, be it each others birthdays, family holidays, or just their first time together on a family picnic.

Well either way the DA doesn't have any authority over 911 tapes. That's the local law enforcement agency that has that, and they have to go by what the law says. California law is that 911 calls are a matter of public record.

I am tellng you though, where calls involve a minor child, this will be taken into consideration before releasing. Yes, it is public record, and yes it is the law, but they can withhold it if involves a minor child. It doesn't matter which agency has control over it. There are victim identity shield laws when it comes to releasing information about victims under the age of 18, even if it is a matter of public record.

Does anyone know where to find the full wedding video where the survivors are actually saying their names?
I have not watched this complete video myself, but I noted it when someone posted it here as: 40 minutes long, from 2013 vow renewal where the Survivors were present. (The one you want may be from 2015 since that is the other one with Survivors present).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tb4ZBbvcrc

Has anyone noticed that DT appears to have exceptionally thick hair for his age and that LT has extreme thinning on top? That amount of thinning on a woman's head usually indicates some sort of hormone issue.

Or....aging? my mom has had similar thinning with age, as do I. Also, maybe she colors her hair. it certainly looks colored in the vow renewal photos. Repeated color jobs can lead to dry thinning hair and breakage at the part over time. My mom and I have both been coloring our hair since our early 20s.

Also, I think LT's family is from West Virginia, correct? Are they from rural Appalachia? Because that kind of poverty and social isolation might explain why they thought it was a good idea for her to marry him, why they then thought of her as "richy" and thought she was living a wealthy lifestyle, and described them as a "respectable family" (having money and material goods equals respect), and some of the Turpins' hoarding tendencies (I recognize this in my own family amongst members who grew up impoverished and deprived, and adults shop like crazy and save everything).

It would really depend on the culture of the family unit. I am from rural Appalachian (I've lived in the mountains of West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky for nearly 40 years) and I can say that the idea that we all live in poverty and in social isolation is a pretty big misconception. The Appalachian Regional Commission put major roads through here back in the 50s and 60s and we're as connected as any other rural place in the United States. We have major airports, including international ones, within an hour's drive of most places. I live in a town that's about as "isolated" as you can get, and in a county that's considered one of the poorest in the country (it frequently makes the top 5 list). However, even within my own county there is a mixture of wealthy/poor. We have an upper class and middle class just as most other places do-you just don't hear about them in the media and pop culture because nobody wants to hear about "normal" people in Appalachia; it's the stereotypes that sell stories.

Not accusing you of stereotyping or anything but just wanted to point out that the mere fact that her family is from West Virginia does not necessarily mean that they were blinded by LT and DT's apparent success or their "richy" facade. As with anything else, it would come down to the family-culture that LT's family exhibited, which may or may not feed into that generalization that gets thrown around about Appalachia.

(FWIW, my friends and I here live about as far away from civilization as one can possibly get in this region, many of my acquaintances receive some kind of government assistance, and we still think these people are nuts and wouldn't have been blinded by any facades of success. In fact, where I'm from, monetary wealth is often looked down upon as someone "getting above their raising.")

I have not found any particular good news updates over the weekend. The Press-Enterprise newspaper is located in the city of Riverside which is the county seat and where the court is located (unless they change the venue). This link has the newest articles all the time. In the long term, they will probably continue coverage as the rest of the world moves on to the next big story. hth (hope this helps)

https://www.pe.com/tag/perris-torture-case/

One interesting article there. It seems about $120,000 has been raised for them. But that's only about $9,000 for each of them. Hopefully it keeps going up.

Worldwide financial support for children in Perris torture case expected to top $100,000 Friday – Press Enterprise/

I wonder if the parents felt the 29 year old was no longer of any use to them so they were just going to let her die off. If she would have died because of their extreme neglect would they have been charged with murder? At her age, would they have been considered her caretaker? Because of her age, her not being able to get away, is this a form of kidnapping? Is chaining her up kidnapping? I have so many questions!
I am so glad you brought this up. No matter the height, 82 pounds is nearing critical organ failure for an adult woman. I wonder as others have if this was the last straw for them, that this sibling was approaching death and LT still refusing to allow her any food. And yes, they would be charged with murder if any of them died of neglect and abuse. If any of the survivors die in the future from causes related to neglect and abuse, they may still face murder charges (for instance kidney, liver or heart failure linked to starvation).

Hi all. I'm a new member. This case literally makes me nauseous, but I can't stop reading about it.

I personally think all 13 kids are LT's biological children because the daughters seem too malnourished to sustain a pregnancy. Which leads me to another horrifying thought: What if one of the older boys is the biological father of the toddler? To be clear, that's purely speculation on my part. I wouldn't put anything past those monsters. I hope I'm wrong.

:welcome6::welcome4::wagon:

I wonder if, since the oldest daughter seems to be the most malnourished, i'm guessing for the longest time of them all, if once they get too old daddy isn't interested anymore and they were just going to let her die away. I'm not sure if any of the daughters could have carried a child but I do think there was incest going on here. And I think the mom knew. Then my mind just keeps going into what else might have been going on. jmo

It would really depend on the culture of the family unit. I am from rural Appalachian (I've lived in the mountains of West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky for nearly 40 years) and I can say that the idea that we all live in poverty and in social isolation is a pretty big misconception. The Appalachian Regional Commission put major roads through here back in the 50s and 60s and we're as connected as any other rural place in the United States. We have major airports, including international ones, within an hour's drive of most places. I live in a town that's about as "isolated" as you can get, and in a county that's considered one of the poorest in the country (it frequently makes the top 5 list). However, even within my own county there is a mixture of wealthy/poor. We have an upper class and middle class just as most other places do-you just don't hear about them in the media and pop culture because nobody wants to hear about "normal" people in Appalachia; it's the stereotypes that sell stories.

Not accusing you of stereotyping or anything but just wanted to point out that the mere fact that her family is from West Virginia does not necessarily mean that they were blinded by LT and DT's apparent success or their "richy" facade. As with anything else, it would come down to the family-culture that LT's family exhibited, which may or may not feed into that generalization that gets thrown around about Appalachia.

(FWIW, my friends and I here live about as far away from civilization as one can possibly get in this region, many of my acquaintances receive some kind of government assistance, and we still think these people are nuts and wouldn't have been blinded by any facades of success. In fact, where I'm from, monetary wealth is often looked down upon as someone "getting above their raising.")

I apologize for reverting to stereotypes of West Virginians here. I did not mean to assume that because she was from West Virginia her family is automatically poor and rural. I should know better, as I also know people from WV who do not fit the stereotype.

I'm awake. Can't sleep for thinking of these children. I wonder how they are doing now that we have come full circle on this first week. Still cannot stop worrying about the eldest in particular. The DA's statements are staying with me on this.

And maybe because there was talk of them moving again. There are a lot of houses in the neighborhood they live in now and people around. If they had been moved out into the middle of no where, chances of escaping and getting help would have been diminished.

Yes that is right......If they moved out into the middle of nowhere, the 'parents' could dispose of the 29 year old (assuming she had given up and died) and they could impose the extreme act of control of killing the 17 year old and let the other children see them kill her thereby instilling in them never to challenge the supreme rule of the parents.
If there was ever any query about the 29 year old, it would be easy to say "she moved out years ago and they don't hear from her any more". They could say the same about the 17 year old. (Horrible).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper