CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I hear about this case, the more bizarre it becomes. My heart is pained for these poor Children / Adults. May they now get a rich and wonderful life with all the things they missed out on.

I'm just wondering, for the people who are sending cards to the survivors ... how are you greeting them? Are you saying "Dear and then using their actual names" or something like Dear Survivor? I mean what would be the appropriate way to address them on individual cards?

I wouldn't admit that I had done that and alerted NOBODY. Obviously those kids were in danger.

I'm a snooper and urban explorer. I've wandered into properties that had "no tresspassing" signs on them more times than I can count. (Always empty and always open, never broken into anything.) No way would I find something like that and not alert authorities. In fact, I've done that before and they could of cared less how I came across the site-they were just happy for the call.

However, regarding the post that was quoted above this, there is no reason to believe that Mr. Vinyard stole anything, including bunk beds, from the place. Considering the nastiness he encountered, I hardly think someone would want to take something out of there and use it for their own kids. Besides, in another article it said that the family only had mattresses, not beds, for most of the kids.

Not particularly important but was just thinking - if it's accurate that Survivor #8 was born approx November 13, and Survivor #4 was also a mid November birthday, that implies they could be "valentine's day babies". Which is unpleasant to think about but adds to the fact that DT and LT seem to be big on special dates, anniversaries etc.

Wedding anniversary February 11...

Adding to media thread, thanks (if not already posted).

Eta:

Press Release:Torture / Child Endangerment
Agency:perris Police
Station Area:perris
Written Date:January 15, 2018
Time:12:30 AM
Incident Date:January 14, 2018
Time:6:10 PM
Incident Location:100 Block of Muir Woods Road, Perris, CA
Reporting Officer:Sergeant Curt Harris
File Number(s):pE180140020Details:

Early Sunday morning on January 14, 2018, a 17-year old juvenile escaped from her residence situated in the 100 Block of Muir Woods Road, Perris and managed to call 911 from a cellular device she found inside the house. The teenager claimed her 12 brothers and sisters were being held captive inside the residence by her parents and further claimed some of her siblings were bound with chains and padlocks.

When Police Officers from the Perris Police Department and Deputies from the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department met with the juvenile, she appeared to be only 10 years old and slightly emaciated. After a brief interview with the female, they contacted 57-year old David Allen Turpin and 49-year old Louise Anna Turpin at the residence where the teenager escaped.

Further investigation revealed several children shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings, but the parents were unable to immediately provide a logical reason why their children were restrained in that manner. Deputies located what they believed to be 12 children inside the house, but were shocked to discover that 7 of them were actually adults, ranging in age from 18 to 29. The victims appeared to be malnourished and very dirty. Perris Station Detectives were dispatched to the residence for further investigation.

All 13 victims, ranging from the age of 2 to 29, were transported to the Perris Station and interviewed. Both parents were detained and transported to the station for further investigation. Child Protective Services (CPS) and Adult Protective Services (APS) arrived to assist in the investigation. The victims were provided with food and beverages after they claimed to be starving.

The six children were eventually transported to the Riverside University Hospital System (RUHS) for medical examinations and admitted for treatment.* The seven adult children were transported to Corona Regional Medical Center for an examination and admitted for medical treatment.

Both parents were interviewed in this matter and subsequently transported to the Robert Presley Detention Center (RPDC). They were booked for violations of California Penal Code Section 206–Torture and Section 273a(A)–Child Endangerment. Bail was set at $9,000,000.00 each.

Anyone with additional information regarding this investigation is encouraged to contact Master Investigator Tom Salisbury at the Perris Station by calling (951) 210-1000, or by email at PerrisStation@RiversideSheriff.org

I keep thinking about the fact that the 17-year-old started planning her escape 2 years ago. I've been thinking about what might have happened 2 years ago to make her realize that things were unusually bad. Besides the birth of the 2-year-old, that also seems to be about the time that the traveling and Facebook posting/comments stopped. I wonder what kind of trigger there was to make things go downhill even faster than they had been?

Ricky Vinyard walked through the family’s trailer at the time, and reading reports from California this week reminded him of what he saw.

“It was waist-deep in filth. There were dead dogs and cats in there,” he said, the smell “rancid.”

He found two Chihuahuas that had survived by eating waste from a mound of soiled diapers. The family’s Ford F-150 truck was heaped with the dirty diapers and empty Vienna sausage cans, he said, “It seemed like that’s all they ate.”

The couple had claimed to home-school their children, and the feces-littered living room had the trappings of a makeshift classroom, he said, including eight small desks, a chalkboard, alphabet and number signs stapled to the wall.

As he moved from room to room, he noticed something odd: “Everything had locks on it: The closet had locks, the toy chest, the refrigerator.”

“There were no beds, just mattresses,” he said, and “There wasn’t a place in that house that wasn’t filthy.”

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-na-perris-texas-20180120-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding to media thread.

I feel bad for those children/adults as I'm sure it was very frightening for them to have strangers in their house and not know what the outcome might be. Since some didn't know what a policeman was, they had no idea that they were there to help them. I imagine some of the children might have thought that the police would eventually go away and leave them with their parents who would be so angry. :(

We don't know that yet, do we?
You're right, we don't. Without antibiotics it's possible for an ear infection to get pretty dangerous. Dental abscesses can turn into cellulitis which can turn into sepsis. How many of us have had a very sick child and taken them to the hospital or Doctor? What could have happened if we didn't? Worst of all is the unnecessary suffering they must have gone through when they were sick. I'm sure nobody cared enough to give them Tylenol. Just the physical and mental suffering they all went through, I can't imagine. I can't imagine how David just went to work everyday. I can't imagine how Louise could sleep while her children were so sick and needed her. How she could shut it out by concentrating on her wedding vow renewals,while 13 children were shackled in the other room. How she could go to Taco Bell every day like she had not a care in the world.
I don't even want to to understand. There are no explanations, reasons, circumstances where this is ok.
Sorry for the long post.

I feel bad for those children/adults as I'm sure it was very frightening for them to have strangers in their house and not know what the outcome might be. Since some didn't know what a policeman was, they had no idea that they were there to help them. I imagine some of the children might have thought that the police would eventually go away and leave them with their parents who would be so angry. :(

I also feel for the first responders. NOTHING prepares them to encounter something like this.

I keep thinking about the fact that the 17-year-old started planning her escape 2 years ago. I've been thinking about what might have happened 2 years ago to make her realize that things were unusually bad. Besides the birth of the 2-year-old, that also seems to be about the time that the traveling and Facebook posting/comments stopped. I wonder what kind of trigger there was to make things go downhill even faster than they had been?

I'm not sure of the date given for the lewdness charge, could that have been it?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/cctv-shows-turpin-siblings-escaping-11898140

"The siblings are seen piling into the family's large silver van before it pulls out of the driveway and leaves the scene, bringing an end to years of torment and abuse.

One child runs to the vehicle and a person is seen carrying what appears to be a younger child in their arms."

I scrolled down to the image of the 2015 vow renewal. A girl is holding a baby in a pink dress. The baby appears to be around 1 yr old (?). So wouldn't that baby around 4yrs old now since it's 2018? Where is she? Or is the year of 2015 that's given incorrect? I don't get it.

The Elvis impersonator on the family:

"“Watching them now it’s kind of haunting and disturbing,” Ripley told the Associated Press. “They all looked young and thin but I figured it was just their lifestyle. Maybe the activities they did, maybe because of their religious beliefs. I didn’t get that in depth with them but I knew they were a fun family.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...of-strange-behavior-family-and-neighbors-say/

Some people, not necessarily here, have publicly wondered why he didn't make a call to someone. It appears as though, while he might have thought they were a little different, he didn't see anything that would make him pause and consider abuse. My guess is that the entire amount of time he spent with them is seen on tape and while they are a little awkward and shy, they DO appear to be having fun and getting into the shtick.

I want to send them a card or something but I also want to wait. I'm afraid they're going to get all of this attention in the beginning but then, as the year progresses, it will slowly die off and that's when they'll need it the most. I have experience with that. My son died (it was sudden, there was no illness) 7 years ago. For the first few weeks, people were over every day. They were cleaning the house, packing up his toys for me, bringing over dinner, and just sitting with me and visiting. By about the 6-month mark, however, they'd all moved on and I was left almost entirely alone. Unfortunately, that's when I needed people the most. In a lot of traumatic situations, you're kind of running on adrenaline in the beginning; everything is moving so quickly. It takes weeks, and sometimes months, to digest everything and start processing it. The rest of the world has moved on but you're just starting to open your eyes, in a sense. I am therefore going to keep up with this family and try to stay abreast of what's going on so that I can perhaps send something later on, once things have kind of settled and they're not being inundated with so much at once. They're probably going to need it then, too. :-(

I scrolled down to the image of the 2015 vow renewal. A girl is holding a baby in a pink dress. The baby appears to be around 1 yr old (?). So wouldn't that baby around 4yrs old now since it's 2018? Where is she? Or is the year of 2015 that's given incorrect? I don't get it.

It was October 2015, Baby was 6m, now child Is two, about to turn 3 in April, hope that clarifies

I see a lot of FB pics from around Oct 2015, Louise is holding a baby who is about 5 months old. Which leaves me wondering about the two year old.

The baby would have been about 6 months old in the 2015 vow renewal. She was born around April 2015. She'll be 3 years old soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper