CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and they were. I'm talking about when they were admitted to the hospital.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is where home health comes in. They would deliver the meds/IV/feeding formula, if needed, to the facility and a nurse with the agency would come out and insert or access IV (if necessary). The home health nursing staff would give any IV medication that may be required. My brother works in this area. It is very common for those who are discharged from the hospital but still need medical intervention beyond oral meds. The home health agency goes to the home, nursing facilities, assisted living, hospice, etc. If any of the survivors require nutrition beyond regular food or their systems can’t handle a full diet orally it can be given by IV (different from a feeding tube).

I am not saying that any of them require this nor have I seen reports that they will require this. I am just saying that there is a way for them to receive additional care while not in the hospital setting. It gives them freedom to live in a more normalized setting and not remain in the hospital.

Perris torture case raises the question: When should you call police with suspicions about neighbors?

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...-call-police-with-suspicions-about-neighbors/

But if you suspect abuse and won’t make the call, tell a mandated reporter – someone who’s required by law to notify authorities of possible abuse. That includes school and daycare staff, clergy, medical staff including dentists and nurses, and social workers.

No comment.

In September 1999, Antisdel made at least half a dozen calls to Riverside County Child Protective Services and finally called 9-1-1 because neighbors never saw the girl. Deputies found the 30-pound child wearing only a diaper, covered in feces and tethered to her bed by a chain attached to a canvas harness around her waist.

In Norco, neighbors spent at least a year and a half putting clues together after Cynthia Topper talked repeatedly of a child neighbors never saw, until one, Dave Beck, saw the child with her mother at a market.

“She (the girl) was stark, stark white. That got my imagination going,” said Beck, who encouraged his tenant/girlfriend, Antisdel, to contact authorities. Beck said he doesn’t regret taking that long.

“I had to be certain,” he said. “I don’t want to accuse my neighbor of something (that’s not happening).”

Very, very sad. And somehow, we have to do better.

The second link has a photo of 2 beds, one with zip ties but the brown bed seems to have a big round thing in it which may be the big round 'target' one child drew himself/herself trapped under.

Zip ties secured on the headboard/foot board/whichever could be for anything - such as tying a toy or such onto the bed, so I am not jumping to a conclusion that zip ties were used on the children. They could have been, but that is too speculative to add to a 'fact' list for me.

When LE arrived at the house, one victim was chained to their bed (and two others were also chained to their bed, but LP/TP were able to unchain them). That, combined with the fact that the DA had also stated the kids were not allowed to have toys and most of the toys in the house were still unopened and in their original packaging, IMO it's far more likely that the zip ties were used to constrain the victims and not toys. jmo

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/18/us/turpin-family-investigation/index.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/13-captive-siblings-forced-shower-year-strangled-subject/story?id=52431816

I think the additional list of needed items (not the clothes) is interesting and kind of sad:
Crafts (Jewelry kits, Weaving Kits, etc)
Play-Do
Legos
​Journal (preferably hard-bound)
Notebooks, for doodling (fun, pretty, glittery)
Crayons (primary colors)
Books dealing with emotions and feelings

I mean, Play Doh and crayons and Legos are normal things for kids to want. However, when you step back and consider that these "kids" are in their late teens and even mid-late 20s, it's just sad (not in a pathetic way but in a heartbreaking way). (And yes, I realize that there are a few younger ones but the majority of them are older than what we typically see.) In its own way, I think it's kind of sweet. Most of these kids have apparently been so isolated and cut off that just having sparkly journals, a jewelry weaving kit, and primary-colored crayons are desired right now-not iPads, laptops, etc. I swear to God, it makes me want to go to Hobby Lobby and buy out the whole gosh-darn store for them.

I could not be anymore disappointed that the adult children are going to assisted living. I very firmly believe that they need a parent figure who will teach them how to live in a normal family and that they are loved and supported always.

All adults need a parent! I'm in my mid 30's and still call my parents for advice on things or just for support, especially since I became a parent myself. At some point some of these adults may have their own families and need to know what normal family life is like so they can break the cycle of abuse. They are not going to get this in any sort of assisted or sheltered living type place!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

On the other hand, I think they've had enough of being treated like children. Imagine a 24 yr old asking mommy if it's okay to have a friend!

Another classmate, Stephanie Hernandez, told the AP in a Facebook message that the girl was quiet and always wore dirt-stained jeans that were too small. Hernandez said she often was bullied.
“I remember someone kind of slung her around like a rag doll,” said Hernandez, a registered nurse in Mansfield, Texas.

:(

This is so heart breaking, they were going through god knows what at home and their only respite was school :(

I was horrifically bullied for 2/3 yrs of senior school, mainly due to being 'the scruffy one', kids can be so very cruel, I ended leaving school at 15 without sitting any exams, just couldn't wait to never have to go back.

I'm just going to comment on a few things without quoting, but I'll try to keep things general.

The first thing is in reference to receiving financial aid for the son's college classes. Although the father did have a good salary, they take into consideration the size of the family, too. He may, or may not, have qualified for grants, but I'm fairly sure they'd be able to get student loans (which were unlikely to have ever been repaid.

Another thing is the number of charges they each have. From what I've seen so far, it looks like one of the older 12 managed to escape most of the willful harm to a child by him, but was still tortured, endangered and imprisoned. It also looks like LT had been mistreating all of the children for quite a while before he started - unless there are more charges coming in the future.

The weights are another thing I wanted to mention, although it's not all concerning this case. None of the girls appear to be very tall, even LT is only shown as 5'0" on the court records; however, bone size, muscle mass and other things can affect how healthy different people of the same height and weight are. I know that I never got to a normal weight until I was 30 and had 2 kids. Before that, I was usually considered to be 20-30+ pounds underweight. I'm 5'4" and after being measured have been told I'm on the cut-off between medium and large frame. Shortly after my first son was born, I was at 101 pounds (my doctor wanted me at 130-135). I was told that I had approximately 8% body fat. Like RAISINISBACK said, I very seldom got hungry, and often had to be reminded to eat. I'd wake up with a severe headache and feeling nauseous, and someone would ask me how long it had been since I'd eaten; half the time it had been 3 or 4 days. In spite of that, I passed the physical to become a mail carrier, and was considered to be a "runner" because I walked so fast. I think a big difference is that when I ate, I tended to eat fairly healthy foods, and I was able to get exercise. I'm not saying that these 12 weren't in bad shape, I think I'm being more selfish and saying that I never realized that my own health may have been messed up when I felt my best. MOO

I have often said that hubby's last words to our son will be "make sure your mother eats something today."

That being said with these kids appearing to be around 5'0 to 5'2" 100 lbs would be somewhat normal for them. I still can't find any article that specifically states the kids were put on IV's as some posters are saying. All I find is the DA saying the eldest girl was in critical condition and only weighed 82 lbs. Critical condition could have resulted from her being beaten or being ill from the extreme filth in the house.

JMO

Who said they had two homes lined up?

Are you sure that didn’t come from a hypothetical post?

I wrote several posts with that idea...
I don't have time to track down the articles right now. But first there was a report (probably mistaken, but MSM none the less) that a single foster home had stepped up for all. Then followed reports that there was one for the adults and one for the minors.

Both of these reports were then widely discussed in here, which is why it's too difficult to track the exact reports because there are too many mentions of the search terms I would need to use (and same with Google).

So take it as my opinion if need be, since I don't have time to track something like that with the overabundance of cover using these search terms.

I think assisted living is good for the older children. These kids have been held down and confined without a normal life for long enough. I think it is unfair to say the older ones should be responsible for the younger ones. It is time the older kids are allowed to live a free and normal life without being held responsible for caring for six kids that are not theirs. In other words the older ones should be allowed to live free and pursue an education or get a job without worrying about providing a home for and finding daycare for their younger siblings.

JMO

I have often said that hubby's last words to our son will be "make sure your mother eats something today."

That being said with these kids appearing to be around 5'0 to 5'2" 100 lbs would be somewhat normal for them. I still can't find any article that specifically states the kids were put on IV's as some posters are saying. All I find is the DA saying the eldest girl was in critical condition and only weighed 82 lbs. Critical condition could have resulted from her being beaten or being ill from the extreme filth in the house.

JMO

BBM.

vmmking has already, so kindly, provided us with these details up thread.

All children are receiving IV antibiotics, vitamins and nutrition."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...ing-Music-Class-With-Him-470086943.html?amp=y

" The children are now recovering in hospital, being injected with antibiotics, nutrients and vitamins through an IV."

http://www.kidspot.com.au/parenting...n/news-story/6541272ec2374483a2c5423df4e42a48

I don't have time to track down the articles right now. But first there was a report (probably mistaken, but MSM none the less) that a single foster home had stepped up for all. Then followed reports that there was one for the adults and one for the minors.

Both of these reports were then widely discussed in here, which is why it's too difficult to track the exact reports because there are too many mentions of the search terms I would need to use (and same with Google).

So take it as my opinion if need be, since I don't have time to track something like that with the overabundance of cover using these search terms.

From my post #575 here is the link...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-children-found-shackled-in-home-placed-in-foster-care/

Can somebody explain what assisted living consists of? When i first read it i immediately thought it was the equivalent to our supported living over here in the UK. I've managed a few supported living schemes and thought it would be a marvellous idea for the adults and in taking their first steps to normality.

Over here Supported living schemes consist of a house or unit where individuals can be supported to learn the necessary skills for daily living - help with meal planning, cooking skills, managing personal hygiene, cleaning, travel training, budgetting etc. Individuals have their own rooms for private space and communal areas. Staff are on hand the majority of the time if not 24/7 and service users have designated 1:1 time for focussed suppirt on areas identified in their individual care plans. In addition other professionals such as counsellors, medical professionals etc can readily come in amd work with the individuals as requested.

Normally supported living is the second step in becoming independent. The first being residential care (where people are unable to undertake any independent living themselves or have very veru few skills) and the last step being outreach where individuals move in to their own accommodation and recieve a set amount of hours support each week to work on the few areas they may still have trouble with.

If assisted living in the US is in any way similar i think its a great idea. It shows hope that the older children have some skills or the capacity to learn the skills required needed for living independntly at some point in the future and enables them to learn these skills in a safe environement with dedicated support tailored to their individual needs

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There's different variations. They may need to be in one that is more structured starting out, and then move up to their own unit (small apt like space). While in college, one of my children worked with folks who had very little outside connections. She would shadow one of them at their job, and go with them to local events that they wished to attend. Kind of guide/teach them the dos and don'ts of their job, and social skills.

Here's one from CBS. Shame it wasn't accurate. moo

"CBS News has just learned that someone in Southern California has volunteered to take in and adopt all 13 of the kids and adults and their release to that family could happen as early as Monday. The seven adult siblings are currently being cared for at a local hospital. "

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-louise-turpin-riverside-county-warning-signs/

I hope we can hear from the children themselves, perhaps many years down the road, saying "We are doing great!"
(Again, I said many years down the road. I don't need anyone saying they certainly won't be talking any time soon. That's a given.)

Here's one from CBS. Shame it wasn't accurate. moo

"CBS News has just learned that someone in Southern California has volunteered to take in and adopt all 13 of the kids and adults and their release to that family could happen as early as Monday. The seven adult siblings are currently being cared for at a local hospital. "

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-louise-turpin-riverside-county-warning-signs/

I'm hoping they're being very, very careful about who fosters the children. Maybe someone did volunteer to take all 13 but weren't cleared to do so for whatever reason.

There are residence type facilities that assist disabled. Without knowing more, it could be institutional or it could be more family oriented. I have a cousin that lives in one and has since birth. His current home is more institutional. Our state is closing most of those, so the people there are being moved into more family like settings unless their medical issues are extreme enough to be in a nursing home.

Central Va Training Center is what it was called. Not sure what the name is now...might still be that. It was a wonderful place at one time. The area had a canteen, multiple buildings that housed people, a cafeteria, laundry area, play ground, it's own cemetery, medical staff, and various levels of care. It was like it's own small town where the people could walk around the grounds, enjoy a picnic, visit others, etc. But now, each building is locked down. There's no wandering the grounds, canteen closed, and literally like a nursing home now. There was talk about turning it into an Alzheimer's type place, but I don't know where it stands now.

I know in the Midwest assisted living can include apartment type living but with access to services like therapy, physical and mental, help with activities of daily living, and medicine etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Assisted Living can mean so many different things. I used to work at an Assisted Living facility for residents who needed memory care for dementia, Alzheimer's, etc. It was not like any assisted living I'd ever heard of. I had always assumed the residents of AL facilities had a lot of independence and their own apartment-like spaces, and just got help when they needed it. In truth, it was a nursing home advertised as assisted living. The residents had their own rooms, but no real privacy at all. They were at the whim of the employees. The caregivers didn't have to be CNAs or have any background in caregiving, because it was called Assisted Living, and apparently there is some sort of legal loophole here. I was, however, certified as a CNA. The nurses would have the caregivers do things they should NEVER have been doing (such as a woman who was instructed to use her fingers to dig out a bowel obstruction from a patient). We were ordered to do catheter care and other things that I believe we were not legally allowed to do. If it was time to bathe a resident and they refused, the resident would be taken kicking and screaming into the shower and sprayed down. It was a highly respected place but I thought it was a nightmare. I didn't last long working there. On my last day, I realized that other caregivers and a med aide had given a combative resident someone else's medication to chemically restrain him. He was soiling himself, drooling, and unable to talk or function because of this. I called the director of nursing and she came in (angry that I had called her on a weekend) and basically said it was not misconduct and that I was overreacting. She tried to get me and another outraged employee to stay quiet. I called Adult Protective Services and told them everything I knew and never went back. As far as I know, nothing ever became of it because the staff that were responsible for the abuse still worked there for quite awhile afterwards, and the facility has since opened an additional location. For this reason, I seriously worry when I hear someone is going into Assisted Living, because it is not always what it seems. This was a place with a good reputation.

I sincerely hope there will be frequent and unannounced checks of the safety and well-being of the survivors of the Turpin house. My heart hurts for them and I just want to see them rehabilitated and hopeful one day thriving. I hope that where they are going to be living is a place filled with caring, respectful, and empathetic staff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In my high school, there were two brothers who were MR, and they wouldn't bathe very often. On at least one occasion, the coaches took them to the locker room and threw them in the shower until they came out clean. Not sure if they washed their clothes or had them get in the shower with clothes on. Sounds cruel, but it was necessary and hopefully taught them a lesson about hygiene.

There are better ways to handle that lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fake_facer_addict