CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't people just send in a donation?

What, seriously, is the purpose of these shirts?

When the OP posted about it, it was a hypothetical idea, not something that anyone on here was looking to actively put into plan. I don't remember who the OP was but they were thinking about the T-shirts that are currently being sold to raise awareness and funds for various tragedies/disasters/etc. Their heart was in the right place but, as MANY others have now pointed out (in many posts) it may be considered inappropriate.Nobody ever said anything about sending them to the kids to wear. Actually, nobody ever said anything about making them. It was a hypothetical "what if", like the "what would you do if you could bring the kids home with you for a week" question. They meant well.

My fantasy is that they could all go that horse therapy camp Jaycee Dugard and her daughters went to. I imagine it's pretty pricey. I wonder how it will be decided what's going to happen with their funds. THey will have so many needs.

Feels like it should be a trust that addresses the needs of the older kids and those that come of age. The state will be managing the basic needs of the minors.

This would be awesome. This or another sort f therapy they can do in the outdoors. I was skiing this weekend and couldn't stop but being grateful to be FREE. We take freedom for granted so often. :(

The hospital staffs, (the kids are being treated at two different medical centers.) in their communications thought it would be fun for the kids to have an iPad. If you could be fun stuff for the kids, what would you give them? Or expose them to fun stuff? What do you think that they would like? Now this assumes that they have the essential needs of life first like clean clothes, clean facilities, comfortable beds, and and can get comfortable with hygiene and personal grooming skills.

In other words, if you could be with the Turpin kids for a day, what would you give them? Fun places you would take them? So many things! First of all I would ask them, what they wanted to do that would be fun and special for them? Since they were deprived of food, I would bring fast food for them. So that they could eat hamburgers, pizza, and tacos. Stuff that they never in there lives. I think it is going to be so exciting for them to see a new world that they have never known! I think that the kids would really love a laptop computer! And we know that they were allowed to write. I think that they would enjoy expressing themselves.

Most importantly, I would be there as a good listener and friend to help them and guide them through the life they never had.

Satch

I think about these 13 survivors every day and wonder about how they're doing, what they're doing, what new and exciting things they've learned, and what they think of the world outside their former prison.

I think one of the places I'd take them is to the beach where they could enjoy a few hours of watching the waves break on the sand, wade into the surf, and experience the ocean breeze. We'd go for lunch somewhere and get a hamburger. In the afternoon we'd take a boat trip around the harbor and then later, out for dinner and get fish and chips with coleslaw on the side. We'd watch the sun set over the ocean and later, maybe an ice cream.

Someone was asking if there were interior photos of the Perris house. The attached photo would have been taken within the past two years. The patio seen in photos taken by the media while police were bringing out evidence, is behind them.

Observation...the young man all the way to the right looks painfully thin, while the older girls, all the way to the left look normal. Makes me wonder if the abuse was targeted to certain children.
Source

I don't see the same thing. I see the 2 eldest girls (on left) looking extremely thin, and both boys on the right almost literally skeletal.

(The thighs on boy to the far right, the ankles of the boy second to right; his jeans disguise somewhat how skinny his thighs are).

I can't imagine how bad the condition of those 4 in particular must have been when they were rescued if the worst of the abuse and deprivations happened over the 2 years following this photo.

(Edited after seeing post about boy to the right's thighs).

When you put it like that...

We just had a school shooting in our state, with 2 deaths. The people in that area are wearing "Marshall Strong" T-shirts to raise awareness to the situation. The parents of the shooting victims have been wearing them as well and some of the survivors have been shown in their hospital rooms with them.

I think there may be a fine line between what is appropriate and what isn't so you bring up a good point.

I don't think that's an apt comparison, respectfully. The shooting victims who are wearing those shirts didn't go through years of annihilating physical and
mental abuse at the hands of family, which disabled them cognitively and likely long-term mental health issues. They were mostly probably typical people prior to that one time traumatic criminal event and this more able to cope with it.

Further, community solidarity and unity among random people who were attacked by a person with a gun is different from wearing something that tells everyone that your parents are psychos who spent years torturing you into disability.

Most people cannot cope with reminders of trauma. But children and young people systematically victimized by their own parents are even more vulnerable to being re-traumatized by reminders.

I don't see it is a fine line at all! I see it as these kids are going to just need every bit of help they can get to learn what's normal, how to function and cope with the real world.

When the OP posted about it, it was a hypothetical idea, not something that anyone on here was looking to actively put into plan. I don't remember who the OP was but they were thinking about the T-shirts that are currently being sold to raise awareness and funds for various tragedies/disasters/etc. Their heart was in the right place but, as MANY others have now pointed out (in many posts) it may be considered inappropriate.

The OP stated they were from the Perris Area as well. I am sure the community is reeling and feeling very guilty and in mourning and wants to do something after the fact. It should of course be well thought out, appropriate, and victim centered. It should not add to their trauma.

I think its part of the grieving process that they did not help them either because they did not know or they noticed something and convinced themselves that what they were seeing was not what they most feared. It's a lot like the neighbors leaving balloons, teddy bears, and candles on the front steps of the Perris house. The children will never return there. It's the community grieving and saying they are sorry. That being said whatever outpour there is should place the survivors dignity and respect at the forefront and not re-traumatize. A personal card with a donation or gift card would probably be best.

:moo:

I think about these 13 survivors every day and wonder about how they're doing, what they're doing, what new and exciting things they've learned, and what they think of the world outside their former prison.

I think one of the places I'd take them is to the beach where they could enjoy a few hours of watching the waves break on the sand, wade into the surf, and experience the ocean breeze. We'd go for lunch somewhere and get a hamburger. In the afternoon we'd take a boat trip around the harbor and then later, out for dinner and get fish and chips with coleslaw on the side. We'd watch the sun set over the ocean and later, maybe an ice cream.

Oh!! Lovely!! I've thought a bit but not at all as detailed. I don't know if anything can top yours. The beach is very healing. The negative ions in the air and the awe and beauty of it. Nice.

That house was reported to be worth $315K. In CA, that is an unheard of low price. $300K for a 5 bedroom house?!? Incredible. That being said, I am guessing this was not your typical cul-de-sac area. It was blue collar and therefore, not all that strict about windows, I am guessing.

I don't think that's an apt comparison, respectfully. The shooting victims who are wearing those shirts didn't go through years of annihilating physical and
mental abuse at the hands of family, which disabled them cognitively and likely long-term mental health issues. They were mostly probably typical people prior to that one time traumatic criminal event and this more able to cope with it.

Further, community solidarity and unity among random people who were attacked by a person with a gun is different from wearing something that tells everyone that your parents are psychos who spent years torturing you into disability.

Most people cannot cope with reminders of trauma. But children and young people systematically victimized by their own parents are even more vulnerable to being re-traumatized by reminders.

I don't see it is a fine line at all! I see it as these kids are going to just need every bit of help they can get to learn what's normal, how to function and cope with the real world.

Umm...that's what I was saying. :) You and I are on the same wavelength here.

I wasn't comparing the two-I was doing the opposite and saying that they are different situations. I was saying that the first scenario was appropriate for these kinds of things while this one is not.

This is where the t-shirt conversation went awry. I believe that posts are being misunderstood.

My fantasy is that they could all go that horse therapy camp Jaycee Dugard and her daughters went to. I imagine it's pretty pricey. I wonder how it will be decided what's going to happen with their funds. THey will have so many needs.

Feels like it should be a trust that addresses the needs of the older kids and those that come of age. The state will be managing the basic needs of the minors.

That is why at some point I,hope there can be a book where they get a ton of money. The therapy they will need will cost a fortune.

Plus it gives them a sense of control over their own lives. Jaycee got to write her book and give the kids a great therapy. I know she got a big settlement from CA though.

The money needs are so tremendous.

When you put it like that...

We just had a school shooting in our state, with 2 deaths. The people in that area are wearing "Marshall Strong" T-shirts to raise awareness to the situation. The parents of the shooting victims have been wearing them as well and some of the survivors have been shown in their hospital rooms with them.

I think there may be a fine line between what is appropriate and what isn't so you bring up a good point.

I’m so sorry to hear about the tragedy in your area. It’s great the community is so supportive. I just think it’s different in this case since the victims were abused and degraded for an extended period of time, and by their own parents no less. It’s not a case of multiple misc targeted (or not targeted) victims, it’s a case of victims facing repeated abuse by the two very people who brought them into this world. And I am in NO WAY trying to minimize any other victims experiences. I just think it’s different. We know a lot of things these victims went thru, and many details could make them feel embarrassed. I’m almost the same age as the oldest victim, and I can’t imagine the nation being privy to such personal and emotional details of my life.

Someone was asking if there were interior photos of the Perris house. The attached photo would have been taken within the past two years. The patio seen in photos taken by the media while police were bringing out evidence, is behind them.

Observation...the young man all the way to the right looks painfully thin, while the older girls, all the way to the left look normal. Makes me wonder if the abuse was targeted to certain children.
Source

With all due respect, the girl all the way to the left is <victim name redacted> (sibling #1) and we know via LE/doctors that her weight at rescue was 82 pounds and she is 29 years old. I am presuming that you meant it in a general sense when you said &#8220;the older girls, all the way to the left look normal&#8221;. And for what it&#8217;s worth Sibling #3 and Sibling #5 do look much better in this photo than she does, and I know this this photo was from years ago, but still just wanted to point that out.
I too believe, in my opinion, that some children got it worse than others. Unfortunately I believe, IMO, that <sibling #1> was a main target of their wrath and I believe, IMO, that J****han <victim name redacted> got it the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I&#8217;m so sorry to hear about the tragedy in your area. It&#8217;s great the community is so supportive. I just think it&#8217;s different in this case since the victims were abused and degraded for an extended period of time, and by their own parents no less. It&#8217;s not a case of multiple misc targeted (or not targeted) victims, it&#8217;s a case of victims facing repeated abuse by the two very people who brought them into this world. And I am in NO WAY trying to minimize any other victims experiences. I just think it&#8217;s different. We know a lot of things these victims went thru, and many details could make them feel embarrassed. I&#8217;m almost the same age as the oldest victim, and I can&#8217;t imagine the nation being privy to such personal and emotional details of my life.

I feel like I need to go back re-word this or something since this is the second comment about my post... :)

I was actually saying that the the first scenario (the school shooting with the T-shirts) is a GOOD one for that sort of thing because it affected an entire community, while this one is not because it is so personal to the individuals.

I feel like I need to go back re-word this or something since this is the second comment about my post... :)

I was actually saying that the the first scenario (the school shooting with the T-shirts) is a GOOD one for that sort of thing because it affected an entire community, while this one is not because it is so personal to the individuals.

I knew what you meant and wasn’t disputing you [emoji4] I was more so elaborating on my other post by responding to yours. Your post was helpful for me to express what I was trying to get at in my first post. So thank you.

I knew what you meant and wasn&#8217;t disputing you [emoji4] I was more so elaborating on my other post by responding to yours. Your post was helpful for me to express what I was trying to get at in my first post. So thank you.

Got ya! :) I went back and re-worded my original anyway, just in case.

I think it's time for me to step away...

Please stay [emoji846] I didn’t mean to come off combative. You really did help to explain what I was getting at. Your posts are great contributions

I actually knew the family of a child that was on WS. The child was a runaway. I kmew from stepmom&#8217;s FB posts before it was posted on WS. She was found .

It was really weird for me to think that anything about her life might be posted. It turned out it she was fairly quickly found and it was not very interesting so no one was really searching on here too much.

Unfortunately, when there are criminal acts, so much is examined and looked at from a thousand different ways.

That is why at some point I,hope there can be a book where they get a ton of money. The therapy they will need will cost a fortune.

Plus it gives them a sense of control over their own lives. Jaycee got to write her book and give the kids a great therapy. I know she got a big settlement from CA though.

The money needs are so tremendous.
I think they will have experts crawling over other experts willing to treat &#8216;study&#8217; these victims. I seriously doubt cost will be a problem in the near future. Later, who knows.

You give your ideas, Thank you.

There is no need to take things personally by strangers on the net. Nobody knows anyone&#8217;s life so there cannot be personal attacks.

I think they will have experts crawling over other experts willing to treat &#8216;study&#8217; these victims. I seriously doubt cost will be a problem in the near future. Later, who knows.

I hope you are right. Not sure how many therapists can afford to go pro bono for 13 people though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheForgottenLives