CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm unclear as to why there would even be speculation that the photos are altered? For what purpose?

I missed a lot and I'm wondering the same :thinking: because it sure didn't hide any of malnutrition that was going on.

I think it is obviously 10's arm bent at the elbow and up, sort of wrapped around the brother's arm - someone else said this, unfortunately I don't recall which member - apologies. Anyway, this may help make it easier to see.

I agree about that small hand but what about the large hand that comes down across the front of #10? That is the hand that I really think is cropped from some other picture or moved around. I dont think the large hand is from the boy in back because it seems to be too far away from him.

ETA And if the mothers left hand is around the child then it cant be the mothers left hand either.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/c...20180129/f1dadf7570cd9da14f69e301c689e7d1.jpg

I am receiving PM's from people looking for the post that includes the article.

Here is the link to the post with the cited salient bulllet points from the article mentioned at the beginning of this thread. It is a scholarly journal article and longitudinal study on 28 children differentiating from "traditional" child abuse and what constitutes abuse cases that fall under the category of torture. The article includes, clinical criteria for the above as well as perpetrator characteristics.

Remember that there is a TRIGGER WARNING if you decide to search for the entire article on the internet which has extremely graphic photos. Proceed with caution.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-Perris-15-Jan-2018-8&p=13899354#post13899354

Even though the DA insinuated the T's would likely spend the rest of their lives in jail, I am not quite so optimistic. There are many cases that show abusive parents - even sexually abusive parents are given low prison sentences. This case, for instance - 11 kids neglected, abused, kept locked up - two year sentence.
Eleven children who were forced to sleep in cages by their adoptive parents

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ached-Ohio-caged-kids-case.html#ixzz55ggrW6VR

I'm unclear as to why there would even be speculation that the photos are altered? For what purpose?

I think sleuthers were trying to work out if there were children missing from the photo ie they'd been photoshopped out. Some of the weird angle of arms could give the illusion of this, although I don’t believe that is the case.

Even though the DA insinuated the T's would likely spend the rest of their lives in jail, I am not quite so optimistic. There are many cases that show abusive parents - even sexually abusive parents are given low prison sentences. This case, for instance - 11 kids neglected, abused, kept locked up - two year sentence.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ached-Ohio-caged-kids-case.html#ixzz55ggrW6VR

I really hate it, but I think you are right. I'm just not seeing massive sentences handed down in these horrific child torture cases.

Sometimes there is a lengthy sentence... when it leads to the death of a child. But it doesn't seem to be for "just" torturing the human being(s) that you created. It makes me shake with anger over the injustice of it, really. I try to remember the kids in these cases are often better off not subjected to a trial listening to their abusers justify their abhorrent behavior while airing all the "dirty laundry". Available online for the rest of their lives.

And I also remember survivors of abuse are resilient individuals who will go on to live full and complicated lives. There is no punishment for their abuser that could truly make their victim whole again, but other things can.

ETA: I see in this case you linked there was a trial. I want to qualify that many cases I saw seemed to have parents settling on lesser or fewer charges. I admire the victims in all of these cases and wish they all the strength to go through a trial. To know everything the defense is saying is BS and somehow be impervious to it all.

I think there are parallels between the Josef Fritzl case and this case. He is the monster who locked his daughter in the basement which was more like a hidden underground labyrinth for 24 years in Austria. The Turpins have trapped their entire family in the house probably close to 20 years, with only occasional outings. Also, it looks like one of the older sons in the Turpin house was at least allowed out of the house some. Fritzl allowed several of the children born to Elisabeth Fritzl to be free and live upstairs (he claimed his daughter had joined a religious cult and was dumping babies on the porch).

One similarity I find is odd but noteworthy is that Fritzl and David Turpin are both electrical engineers. In both cases, the children thought if they escaped they would be killed. In the Fritzl case, I remember reading he claimed that he had rigged the doors to electrocute or shoot out poisonous gas in case if anyone tried to tamper with the basement exits. In the Fritzl case, I don't think the wife was in on it (though some people wonder how she could not know). Also I don't think Fritzl purposefully starved the people, but maybe I am wrong. I know it was horrible, but I remember reading he claimed he shopped at stores for food far from home to not make people suspicious. And though it was filthy surroundings in the basement, I don't personally think it was as bad as some of the pictures I have seen in Texas.

In Austria, I think the government found a house where the family lives and the names have been changed to protect the kids (and Elisabeth's identity) and keep them out of the press which for the most part has been successful. Hopefully, the same thing might happen in the US with the Turpin kids, but it is possible that some of them will seek publicity rather than privacy.

I think there are parallels between the Josef Fritzl case and this case. He is the monster who locked his daughter in the basement which was more like a hidden underground labyrinth for 24 years in Austria. The Turpins have trapped their entire family in the house probably close to 20 years, with only occasional outings. Also, it looks like one of the older sons in the Turpin house was at least allowed out of the house some. Fritzl allowed several of the children born to Elisabeth Fritzl to be free and live upstairs (he claimed his daughter had joined a religious cult and was dumping babies on the porch).

One similarity I find is odd but noteworthy is that Fritzl and David Turpin are both electrical engineers. In both cases, the children thought if they escaped they would be killed. In the Fritzl case, I remember reading he claimed that he had rigged the doors to electrocute or shoot out poisonous gas in case if anyone tried to tamper with the basement exits. In the Fritzl case, I don't think the wife was in on it (though some people wonder how she could not know). Also I don't think Fritzl purposefully starved the people, but maybe I am wrong. I know it was horrible, but I remember reading he claimed he shopped at stores for food far from home to not make people suspicious. And though it was filthy surroundings in the basement, I don't personally think it was as bad as some of the pictures I have seen in Texas.

In Austria, I think the government found a house where the family lives and the names have been changed to protect the kids (and Elisabeth's identity) and keep them out of the press which for the most part has been successful. Hopefully, the same thing might happen in the US with the Turpin kids, but it is possible that some of them will seek publicity rather than privacy.

The Ts wouldn't be open to publicity if they had half an idea what it was. Elizabeth does know and is doing a great job of protecting her kids from it.

The Ts wouldn't be open to publicity if they had half an idea what it was. Elizabeth does know and is doing a great job of protecting her kids from it.

You make a good point, they really have no idea (from what we have been told) of how overwhelming publicity can be. How talking to one reporter means the story goes on the wire (I get it hasn't been a "wire" in a long time) to go out worldwide to thousands of publications, to TV, to the internet, the radio/satellite radio. One interview can spawn a million stories overnight.

Oldest son was the one allowed to go to community college. So very unlikely he was targeted for abuse, sounds just the opposite.

He ate like he was starving at the school potluck

even though the da insinuated the t's would likely spend the rest of their lives in jail, i am not quite so optimistic. There are many cases that show abusive parents - even sexually abusive parents are given low prison sentences. This case, for instance - 11 kids neglected, abused, kept locked up - two year sentence.
eleven children who were forced to sleep in cages by their adoptive parents

read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ached-ohio-caged-kids-case.html#ixzz55ggrw6vr

two years!

JMO
I worry too about this. Especially if one of them cuts a plea deal to testify against the other. One of them is likely to get off rather easy if that happens.

JMO
I worry too about this. Especially if one of them cuts a plea deal to testify against the other. One of them is likely to get off rather easy if that happens.

Mtnlites posted about this case, from two decades past, in our state. Crazy step-dad entered an Alford plea, got 20 years, the horrible mother entered an Alford plea, and got two, yes two, years. Wesley was singled out among his sibs.

Before it was over, three judges, two prosecutors and a public defender withdrew from the case.

But when it was over, on April 18 of this year, three days before his trial on rape and 90 other charges, Maynard entered an Alford plea to seven counts of assault and one count of unlawful imprisonment--meaning he maintained his innocence, while conceding there was enough evidence to convict. But he immediately appealed, saying Bartley had intimidated him into making the plea.

pixel.gif

During a sentencing hearing on May 5, special Judge C. David Hagerman said he wished he could have given Maynard a million years. Instead, he gave him 20, and apologized to Wesley for what happened to him.

On July 15, Bonnie Maynard, 33, also entered an Alford plea to a charge of complicity to unlawful imprisonment. She made no comment; she faces two years in prison and three years of probation when sentenced on Aug. 8.

LA Times, July 27th, 1997.
http://articles.latimes.com/1997/jul/27/news/mn-16711/3

I think sleuthers were trying to work out if there were children missing from the photo ie they'd been photoshopped out. Some of the weird angle of arms could give the illusion of this, although I don’t believe that is the case.

I agree jens. There have been questions as to possible missing children, not just stillborn or miscarriages, but a child, maybe young teen that is missing. If a child was in a picture at one time, the parents may have wanted them photo shopped out, so the picture could still be used. Only time will tell about this theory. So many questions waiting on answers.

Where are the kids now? I had read last week that plans were being made for them to go into foster homes and the adults into assisted living. Much too soon. In cases like this, who pays for the victims care and treatments?

Satch

two years!

Why such a light sentence? With all the charges against the Turpins, even in a plea deal, we would still be looking at 30 years, right? What are the statutes in California for child-abuse cases concerning amount of years that can be sentenced in a plea bargain? If we know that, it will help determine what the defendants would be facing, minimally if they avoid trial in a plea deal.

Satch

Where are the kids now? I had read last week that plans were being made for them to go into foster homes and the adults into assisted living. Much too soon. In cases like this, who pays for the victims care and treatments?

Satch

As far as we know they were all moved last Wed. and Thurs. Not sure if county or state is footing their bill.

CLICK HERE for a quick snippet from the Dr. Phil Show yesterday.

If you don't want to listen to the snippet on BlogTalkRadio you can hear it on SOUNDCLOUD

Louise couldn't figure out why LE was asking about her kids?

This case is going to send me over the edge I swear.

I agree jens. There have been questions as to possible missing children, not just stillborn or miscarriages, but a child, maybe young teen that is missing. If a child was in a picture at one time, the parents may have wanted them photo shopped out, so the picture could still be used. Only time will tell about this theory. So many questions waiting on answers.

Seems if someone had been photoshopped out, baby's tee wouldn't be #13, then, right?

I don't believe there's been any photoshopping out, here. Just kids crammed together creating that illusion, perhaps.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members