Found Deceased CA - Alex Holden, 25, Sacramento, 31 Dec 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m not surprised, this was the outcome that we expected. While he wasn’t in the water, this is the other area that made the most sense.

While there were searches in the area, it’s so common to miss a body. For example, the recent case of Selena Not Afraid - they had drones, horseback searches etc and covered vast areas - yet she was found less than a mile I believe, from where she disappeared. The fact that they didn’t find him while canvassing is not surprising, to me.

I don’t think this was a suicide, so I’m leaning towards misadventure. It’s possible he fell and hit his head, or took something that disagreed with him - possible drug intoxication that mixed with alcohol didn’t go well. He didn’t have a working cell phone to call for help, if he needed it. It wasn’t terribly cold but 40 is chilly enough, considering what he was wearing, that combined with any other factors could contribute to his passing.

I wonder if we will ever really know what happened. I feel like it’s 50/50 that the information or COD is released when foul play is not suspected.

I am unsure on the suicide thing. I saw a couple picture but other than that, I have no idea what the area is like where he was found and how easy it would be to go unnoticed there. I will say you can never really predict who will harm themselves and who won’t. I’ve lost some loved ones that I would have never thought would take their own life. I just hope he didn’t suffer for long.

So sorry to see this news. :(

My first thought when foul play was so quickly dismissed is that it was an obvious suicide. I don’t know. But he was so young and loved and will be greatly missed.

RIP Alex.

Sac Bee just posted this:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article239675403.html

I just biked this section of the trail Saturday afternoon and was thinking it would be a difficult area to search thoroughly. However, the area under the 160/Northgate bridge is frequented by a lot of homeless people, as well as bikers and joggers, so I'm surprised someone didn't stumble upon him sooner. He must have been a ways off the trail.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Alcohol is the wildcard here. I remember finding myself in some pretty dangerous predicaments when I was his age.

I definitely don’t think this is foul play, and suicide seems unlikely, so some sort of accidental event is what I’m strongly leaning towards.

The temperature gives me pause in regards to exposure though. So I dunno.

Years ago I worked with an experienced Search and Rescue guy and we were talking about a woman found deceased along the roadside the next day after apparently being ejected from the car during an accident the night before. She had been injured, but apparently died from exposure rather than the injuries. It had been I believe in the 50s overnight, so I was surprised, but he assured me that was a low enough temperature, especially combined with injuries and lack of warm clothes, possibly moisture -- can't remember if it rained.

It's not thought to be related, but another body was found in the same general area early this am. This time female. :(

Body found along American River in Sacramento

At about 2:10 a.m. Monday, police were notified of a body found in the area of Highway 160 and the American River Bike Trail.

Police went to the area and found a woman dead.

This death investigation is separate from Sunday's case.

Sac Bee just posted this:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article239675403.html

I just biked this section of the trail Saturday afternoon and was thinking it would be a difficult area to search thoroughly. However, the area under the 160/Northgate bridge is frequented by a lot of homeless people, as well as bikers and joggers, so I'm surprised someone didn't stumble upon him sooner. He must have been a ways off the trail.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.
Thank you for sharing.

From the article:
BY MICHAEL MCGOUGH
JANUARY 27, 2020 07:33 AM
“The Sacramento Police Department confirmed Monday morning that a body found Sunday near the American River Parkway and Highway 160 is believed to be that of Alex Holden, a missing 25-year-old man last seen leaving midtown in the early hours of Dec. 31.

‘Our preliminary investigation leads us to believe that it’s Alex,’ Police Department spokesman Officer Karl Chan said.

Chan said identification of the deceased will officially be handled by the coroner’s office, but that Holden’s disappearance is now a ‘closed missing person case.’

‘We’re glad that his family at least finally has some closure and can begin the healing process for now,’ Chan continued.

Police responded to the area near the bike trail and Highway 160 about 3 p.m. Sunday following reports that a body had been found, according to Chan.

Chan said he did not know whether any identifying information or documents were found on the body, but that ‘the description matched (Holden), for sure.’ Chan said police were aware that a canvassing effort was underway by the community in that area in search of Holden on Sunday, but he did not know whether the person who discovered the body was part of that effort.

[SBM]

The Sacramento Police Department, in a statement sent Sunday night to The Sacramento Bee, first confirmed that it responded to a death investigation in the area of the American River and Highway 160 that afternoon and that foul play was not suspected.

‘There were no signs of foul play and the investigation was turned over to the coroner,’ the statement said. ‘As with any death investigation the coroner will release identity information after protocols have been followed.’

As of Monday morning, the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office had not released the identity of the body.

[SBM]

Chan said a second body was found in the general area of the American River Parkway at about 2:10 a.m. Monday, just along the bike trail.

‘This is just a death investigation at this point as well,’ Chan said, adding that investigators had not yet determined whether there were signs of foul play.

The body was that of a woman, according to Chan, but no other details were available. Detectives and coroner’s officials have responded to the scene, he said.

‘There’s no indication to believe that this was related to the body that was found yesterday (Sunday),’ Chan said. ‘We don’t have any evidence suggesting that.’”
The Sacramento Bee

Link to the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office Decedent Search Page:
Decedent Search Page

Another young life gone way too soon. Rest In Peace, Alex. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. I am so sorry.

I would'nt rule foul play out until the results of the autopsy. JMO
I usually agree with that thought, except I feel like with both parents in this case being judges, LE might say something noncommittal if there were even the smallest thought that it could've been foul play. Just wanting to make sure they had it right before making a public declaration, KWIM? And in the case of obvious suicide, LE might also tread lightly out of courtesy and not come right out with it right away.

Thank you for sharing.

From the article:
BY MICHAEL MCGOUGH
JANUARY 27, 2020 07:33 AM
“The Sacramento Police Department confirmed Monday morning that a body found Sunday near the American River Parkway and Highway 160 is believed to be that of Alex Holden, a missing 25-year-old man last seen leaving midtown in the early hours of Dec. 31.

‘Our preliminary investigation leads us to believe that it’s Alex,’ Police Department spokesman Officer Karl Chan said.

Chan said identification of the deceased will officially be handled by the coroner’s office, but that Holden’s disappearance is now a ‘closed missing person case.’

‘We’re glad that his family at least finally has some closure and can begin the healing process for now,’ Chan continued.

Police responded to the area near the bike trail and Highway 160 about 3 p.m. Sunday following reports that a body had been found, according to Chan.

Chan said he did not know whether any identifying information or documents were found on the body, but that ‘the description matched (Holden), for sure.’ Chan said police were aware that a canvassing effort was underway by the community in that area in search of Holden on Sunday, but he did not know whether the person who discovered the body was part of that effort.

[SBM]

The Sacramento Police Department, in a statement sent Sunday night to The Sacramento Bee, first confirmed that it responded to a death investigation in the area of the American River and Highway 160 that afternoon and that foul play was not suspected.

‘There were no signs of foul play and the investigation was turned over to the coroner,’ the statement said. ‘As with any death investigation the coroner will release identity information after protocols have been followed.’

As of Monday morning, the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office had not released the identity of the body.

[SBM]

Chan said a second body was found in the general area of the American River Parkway at about 2:10 a.m. Monday, just along the bike trail.

‘This is just a death investigation at this point as well,’ Chan said, adding that investigators had not yet determined whether there were signs of foul play.

The body was that of a woman, according to Chan, but no other details were available. Detectives and coroner’s officials have responded to the scene, he said.

‘There’s no indication to believe that this was related to the body that was found yesterday (Sunday),’ Chan said. ‘We don’t have any evidence suggesting that.’”
The Sacramento Bee

Link to the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office Decedent Search Page:
Decedent Search Page

Another young life gone way too soon. Rest In Peace, Alex. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. I am so sorry.

Bringing this forward from your post about how body was found.

'Chan said he did not know whether any identifying information or documents were found on the body, but that ‘the description matched (Holden), for sure.’ Chan said police were aware that a canvassing effort was underway by the community in that area in search of Holden on Sunday, but he did not know whether the person who discovered the body was part of that effort.'

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

We will eventually find out from the coroner if it was a suicide and no foul play. They will not keep it a secret because the coroner's report is a public record that a person can request. JMO

Today's Law As Amended

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran the gambit of different things that could have happened to Alex.

Since water, alcohol and men don’t mis and is usual, I went with that.

Then I thought he just left on his own to get some space.

Obviously both ere wrong. I’ve been wrong before, I’ll be wrong again. It’s the nature of the beast. It happens to EVERYONE.

I wonder if his parents had an inkling. Maybe they knew he was suicidal. Of course, that’s still on the table, along with Misadventure, homeless attack, or exposure to the weather. All I knowcis he was loved and people are grieving for him.

Trying to figure things out is what we do here and I love it!

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> In my first post on this thread on Jan 3 I posted a map with screenshots of the Natomas path and highlighted the area around 160 as dangerous and in need of scrutiny. I am not surprised in the least he was found there - it would have surprised me more if he had been in the river, even though I offered analysis of that too, because when you have no leads and LE saying they searched this area, you have to think of everything. I am sad for his friends and family and wish I could have been there in person to followup my hunches with my own dog and time. Alex should have been found within days if he has been there this whole time.

Here is the 160 underpass with the trail entrance veering off to the right Google Maps

Area by the sign where LE were parked Google Maps

They really should raze all of the vegetation under the freeway imo just as a general safety precaution.

As a general tip to anyone who may volunteer to search an area like this, you've got to take your time, not smoke if there are dogs searching, stay focused and bring something to stick the vegetation with and you can't not search inside bushes/kudzu or mounds of high grass. It is also important to scan the middle/high areas of your field of view, and look directly up into trees. I anticipate knowing the circumstances of where he was and his COD.

RIP Alex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x