GUILTY CA - Alex Mercado, 4, Mendota, 30 Oct 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Salem,
You posted that the teen that was arrested lived with his babysitter? That is horrible! Wonder if this teen had abused him in the past... it was reported yesterday that he was dead before being placed in the dryer...

Poor little man... this story is horrible!
(and I am having a hard time finding media coverage as well)

Section 8 in California can be either houses or apartments. Example; A recent housing project in our town had a low income housing element as part of it's approval process. The developer built 30 apartment's which are low income. This is common in California and is important to create affordable housing in area's where purchase/rental prices are beyond the average worker's pocketbook. Mendota is a farming community. There may be a gang element there, but also many hard-working, good families. I work with them in my own community and admire their dedication to family and work ethics.

God comfort his family ... That little smile of his, just too precious.

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=7093550

sorry if this was posted... in the video they say "home" and show little modular like homes that the mother walks from... not sure if it helps much...

I watched the video, but it seemed to cut out and went to a picture of Alex. I'll keep looking.

Also, an earlier article indicated that the teen was the son of Alex's babysitter. In the comments under this link it says the mom was arrested also? Is that true?

Salem

I watched the video, but it seemed to cut out and went to a picture of Alex. I'll keep looking.

Also, an earlier article indicated that the teen was the son of Alex's babysitter. In the comments under this link it says the mom was arrested also? Is that true?

Salem
not sure! I am not seeing that... could you snip it? Also, for the video with the little houses... it is the one where little Alex is on the video box with a green shirt. I saw the little trailer house things about 3/4 of the way through

http://thecityofmendota.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=29

Map from the City website. Note the area "housing authority", this may be the area we a re discussing. But then again, the City cops handed the investigation over to the Sheriff's office. Don't know if it is a matter of more resources or jurisdiction. Probably resources.

I think this is it. I finally saw some shots on the video and it definitely is not the place I thought it was. Way to much concrete and paved roads.

I agree the Sheriff was probably called in for resources. Mendota is a very small city, under 10,000 population, I believe - but I need to verify that also :)

Salem

I watched the video Nurse, pretty sure that is housing authority. Look at Tuft and Sorenson Streets.

I haven't seen anything about the mother of the teen being arrested, either. I hope not!

Is there any way we can find out who lives in these "apartments", or whatever they are? I wouldn't imagine it would be as easy as finding property owners or who lives in homes.

ETA: Wondering the above because I imagine they will be protecting this teen's identity, as they are protecting Elizabeth's murderer.

I've driven through the area where Alex lives a number of times. Speaking from memory, it is much like a little farm villages, such as those you might see in Florida where Adji is from. ....

Hope that helps. Sorry the post is so long. I am just heartbroken over this little boy. I was sure he had just wandered away. To read the news that be was probably killed by a teen that lived with his babysitter, someone Alex probably trusted to be nice to him, just chokes me. :( :(

Salem

Thanks for providing those insights.

Salem

I saw that comment as well if it's the one I'm thinking of (it contains a second key piece of info) I have not seen that information anywhere else.

Here's a link to some info on Mendota. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendota,_California Population about 9,700 in 2006.

The area does appear to be public housing as noted by Knox and not the farm village I described.

Idaho - I don't think we can find out who is in the apts unless we work for the housing authority that runs the project.

Nurse - I watched the video again and saw a lot more. Not sure what happened the first time, but this really looks like a low-income housing project (Section 8).

This poor baby. Rest in peace Alex and prayers to your family. The angels will keep you safe forevermore.

Salem

This little boy just has the sweetest face - that smile and those twinkling eyes. :(

I saw that comment as well if it's the one I'm thinking of (it contains a second key piece of info) I have not seen that information anywhere else.
which link was this??? tia

ETA: never mind... I just found it... and why am I not surprised...

I did notice that like many City Housing Authority's, the one in Mendota has a dedicated police officer. In our town, there is a actual office staffed by an officer located in the center of the HA. They call this community based policing.

Mendota Police Department Tuesday, 16 June 2009 On May 12th, the City Council voted to reactivate the Mendota Police Department, and passed a resolution on May 26th which allows the City to proceed with the necessary steps to start our own police department. The City is working fast and diligently to ensure that the new Mendota Police Department is well trained, equipped, and dedicated to serving our community, protecting our residents, and improving the lives of all who dwell within the City of Mendota. The Fresno County Sheriff’s Department will still be the law enforcement agency until the department is activated, and for any emergency please call the Fresno County Sheriff’s Department numbers listed on the back page, or 911 if it is a real emergency.

Wow Knox - thank you. I have never heard of "community-based" police. I have heard of security officers that work at housing projects, but not actual LE. I like the LE though - would make you feel more secure, I think.

So... Mendota's police force is only 4-5 months old. No wonder they called in the Sheriff's Dept right away. Good for them for acting, instead of re-acting.

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back