CA-Amber Leeanne Dubois (14 YO)- Escondido Thread # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder that Amber's case will be featured tonight on America's Most Wanted.

Odd -- first time I saw this truck in 13 years. See e-mail and pic below. You can't see it, but it has a smashed front end (I also sent in license plate #). rec'd a prompt response. It probabl won't pan out to anything, but I'm keeping my eyes open everyday:

Hi Melanie -

Thank you so much for your email and for your support in our search for Amber - this information has been forwarded to investigators.

Best regards,

Lisa
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: missingamber@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 6:24:58 PM
Subject: Information about Amber

To whom it may concern,

I am a resident of Mira Mesa, and have been for over 13 years. Today I happened upon a red truck that I had never seen before -- in the shopping center where I've also shopped for 13 years. It may be nothing, and probably isn't, but I wanted to send you the information just in case. In short, this truck raised my hinky meter. It is a 2 door Red Ford F-350, with 2 seats in the front, and room for a passenger behind the seats. The passenger seat was pushed forward, as to let someone out from the rear.

I watched this vehicle for over 30 minutes, and no one came out of the store.. I also didn't see Amber, or anyone looking like Amber at the store (Ralphs). I then went to Subway (located in the same strip mall), to pick up dinner for the family, and when I returned, the truck was still there.

Again, this is a truck I would recognize as it stood out. If you think it may be of interest, the license plate is XXXXXXXXX.

If you need to reach me for any questions, please contact me XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Also note, the truck in the surveillance video is lower to the ground. However, if someone wanted to disquise the truck, they could easily change the look. Just a thought.

Attachment - red truck.

All the best, and I pray for Amber's return.

Melanie
San Diego, CA

Attachments

• Red Truck - Dubois.jpg
    Red Truck - Dubois.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 31
Last night on NG there was a report of young woman's body found in a suitcase. They are saying ealry 20's but could this be a 14 year old? Does any one know more about this. I am in midwest and wonder about Amber every day.

Here is a link to a story about the body.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/morgan-woman-buena-2531170-feet-park

To me, it doesn't sound like it could be Amber. This woman is the same height, but weight is off. Age is also off, but could still be possible, but I don't know. This woman is also believed to have died only a few hours before her body was found. It is possible...but I think they would have mentioned the possibility if they thought it was likely.

Here is a link to a story about the body.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/morgan-woman-buena-2531170-feet-park

To me, it doesn't sound like it could be Amber. This woman is the same height, but weight is off. Age is also off, but could still be possible, but I don't know. This woman is also believed to have died only a few hours before her body was found. It is possible...but I think they would have mentioned the possibility if they thought it was likely.

I think they've already identified the body:

Law enforcement tells us they now have a person of interest in the murder of a Playboy representative who was found dead and stuffed in a suitcase in Orange County. The man is Ryan Alexander Jenkins, who was a contestant on a VH1 reality show.

In this case, they think the hubby did it....

Mel

Searches by VK9 started this morning. Prayers they find Amber!

Salem

Why does it take all these months to get in specialized blood hounds? I think it's great they are there, and can still smell some things, but this is a very long time. I've always believed, since the Lacy Peterson case, that if the right dogs are used they could actually lead searchers to the missing person even if it's miles away.

I have not been on here lately..is there anything new?? Do people still think she is alive? I still do.

I think someone took her too and I cannot say I am optimistic that she will be found alive. There has to be a little hope. I keep thinking of the girl who was kidnapped at about 13 or 14 and her abductor kept her in an underground bunker he had dug out and she was in there with him for a week. She could hear the searches calling her name, she could hear the helicoptors, the guy had a little tv and she watched her parents on the news. I can't remember how they found her but they did - alive.

Was her name Abby Drover?

Just reading back on this thread about the body of Jasmine Fiore being found. You know I am following that case and apparently before her loser husband killed himself, Dog the Bounty Hunter offered to help authorities track Ryan Jenkins down.
Why doesn't Dog get involved in missing children? I have often thought she was taken into Mexico to be sold for someone's personal sickness or is being kept by a sicko close by. C'mon Dog, we need a miracle here and you always seem to get your man.

Why does it take all these months to get in specialized blood hounds? I think it's great they are there, and can still smell some things, but this is a very long time. I've always believed, since the Lacy Peterson case, that if the right dogs are used they could actually lead searchers to the missing person even if it's miles away.

These were not bloodhounds that were used. :rolleyes: But the family did have the info. earlier but during this emotional time, the info. was accidently overlooked.

K9 - What can you tell us about the search? Anything? Check page 9 for all the articles I could find.

Thank you for searching for Amber. I pray it gets LE or someone, anyone closer to finding her and bringing her home.

Salem

From Aug 19th article:

The Labrador retriever and German shorthair pointer, deployed by a nonprofit Virginia-based agency that specializes in cold case crimes and missing persons investigations, will be sniffing for evidence into the whereabouts of 14-year-old Amber DuBois of Escondido, who was last seen walking to school at 7:10 A.M. on Feb. 13, according to police.

The animals work for VK9 Scent Specific Search and Recovery Unit, which supports law enforcement and emergency management agencies throughout the nation, according to the service-dog organization.

The assistance agency arranged directly with the DuBois family to aid in the search for leads into the Escondido High School freshman's disappearance, Lt. Bob Benton said. The dogs will go over areas near the campus and other parts of the city through Saturday.

"[Amber's father] and I have high hopes with the dogs coming in. We're trying to not get too excited but honestly we're pretty excited about it" said Amber's mother Carrie McGonigle.

So why wait so long to bring in the dogs? McGonigle said that VK9 had sent her an email when Amber first went missing. But she was so overcome with emotion at the time, she didn't read it until a time later.

The dog's trainers said they would get a scent sample from Amber's home and then begin their search at the spot she was last seen--Escondido High School. From there, the trainers did not want to reveal where they would go because they don't want the media following them around and intruding on the search.

Trainer Sarah Platts said the more than six month time gap creates many challanges. "Its tough because its what we call highly contaminated with the people, the traffic and time. But our track record has been very good with our aged work." But her partner Julie Brown said she had successfully cracked a similar case where a college student was missing for four months. The dog led searchers to the rivers, where it turned out the student had died.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local...-for-Amber-Dubois/CzQDoypnTUW0sQdYuwlpDQ.cspx

This looks like a really good (volunteer) organization. Read more about them and view pictures on their website.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]VK9 Scent Specific Search and Recovery Unit

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]VK9 SSSAR Unit consists of several either state and nationally certified operational K9 teams. Operational trailing dog teams can receive multiple certifications.

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Trailing dog teams certify through one or more of the following: North American Police Working Dog Association [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] ([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]NAPWDA[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]),[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Virginia Police Work Dog Association, [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]VPWDA[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif])[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]VK9 Scent Specific Search & Recovery Unit, [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]VK9SAR[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]).

[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Several members are certified to Distinguished Expert, the highest level achievable with NAPWDA.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Although it is preferred to deploy these teams quickly, it is not unusual for our K9 unit to work cases sometimes days or even weeks later, with success. Several K9 handlers have supporting "aged trail" documentation to support their search success. All handlers have a [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]clear background check[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]. [snipped][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[snipped] All training and responses are done at the expense of the handlers. These dedicated handlers will spend approximately 10-20 hours or more a week to training themselves and their canines for SAR. Most handlers have full time jobs, in addition to this volunteer commitment, and often use their personal vacation time off work for SAR activities. Most gear and equipment is privately owned by the handlers. They use their personal vehicles to travel to trainings, seminars, demos, and search missions - many are more than two hours away. The biggest personal expenses for these handlers are fuel costs and the care of their canines.

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
http://www.vk9sar.org/AboutUs.html

[/FONT]

The one I was thinking of was in Canada where a girl was kidnapped by a neighbour a few houses away. I vaguely recall that she was a friend of the sex offender's children.

Donald Hay held Abby Drover prisoner for 181 days in a dungeon he had built under his home in the Vancouver suburb of Port Moody,British Columbia.
Drover, a neighbour of the Hay family, disappeared without a trace from her Port Moody neighbourhood in 1976. Despite a massive search, in which Hay participated, no trace of her was found.
She was discovered six months later after Hay's wife called police, fearing he had killed himself in his locked garage.
Police found Hay, his pants around his ankles, emerging from a garage cupboard that concealed the entrance to the underground room. Drover, wearing the same clothes she had disappeared in, followed him out.
The girl was often handcuffed and at times denied food and water during the her ordeal.
Hay pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison in 1977

Prayers for another miracle in California soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3