GUILTY CA - Ana Abulaban, 29, and Rayburn Barron, 28, killed by TikTok'r husband, San Diego, 21 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wasn't able to watch much of the closing arguments, but I did watch most of AA's testimony. What I saw on the stand was a man who is always on the brink of full-on anger. Just watching the way he acted when the prosecutor was questioning him was scary. Then, when the defense was questioning him, he's crying, "didn't mean to do it", etc... He was acting, blaming everything and everyone under the sun for what HE did. I think what really pushed me into the guilty of murder group is hearing him yell "RESPECT" after he shot Ana. That's rage that had built up from the second he heard Ana and Ray over the Ipad, so pre-meditated. IMO.

Guilty of First Degree Murder of RB - there are cheers in the courtroom.
Guilty of Special Circumstance.
Guilty of First Degree Murder of AA
Guilty of Special Circumstance.
And he is BIG MAD.
Thank you, jurors, for seeing through his fake "tears".
IMO

TAKE OUT THE TRASH Day!!!!

I am relieved. Guilty x 2. FIRST DEGREE!!!

I caught that the jurors have to wait 90 days before they start hawking their story for money.....

Sentencing on June 28, 2024.

1717015573224.png
1717015594480.png
1717015638088.png
1717015688074.png
1717015760878.png
"Now I'm feeling sorry I killed them. Poor pitiful me."

Last edited:
Just saw the verdict. Good job jury. 7 hours though? Who was that one juror who needed 7 hours? This was a slam dunk case if ever there was one.

The CourtTV commentator pointed out “let’s see how he handles not having control among hardened criminals in prison” yeah…..let’s see you blow up on one of them, Ali. I bet he’s quiet as a church mouse in prison and easy to get along with. These bullies usually are around people who they can’t intimidate.

JMO

wow what a show, of all the times I have to leave to go somewhere, wish I could stay and chat. Be back later.
oh yeah @Curious Me you know what I think hes thinking?
he's going to end it all. T
They should put him on suicide watch.
I've enjoyed watching this trial with you all. I liked how you really dig in @ttjo with me, and considered all angles. I thought the same thing... maybe he'll try suicide.

MOO, his tears have been real, yes mostly for himself, but he shows a touch of Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) and comorbidity. MOO, he showed symptoms of just about every personality disorder and definitely malignant NPD, but I'm not a doctor. Just observing and commenting on what I perceive. At trial they gave a diagnosis of bipolar, but not sure about that. I don't doubt he's always emotional. Drama. No wonder he gravitated to acting.

Sure, a timebomb, but it's too bad he got this far in life without getting any help in behavioral modification, anger mgmt., and psych therapy. Too bad people died at his hands. He should've been on anxiety meds all along. Not cocaine, which only amped his emotions.

He'll adapt to prison and probably get lots of fan mail from women who gravitate towards criminals in prison. Maybe marry. He might continue his Jennkid skits in prison, and have a following in there. He might appeal. All MOO

IMO his goose was cooked by the searches on how to dispose of body parts, iPad tracker/listening = mens rea.
Obtaining a gun/going in the apartment/destruction of personal property/returning with the gun = actus reus.
Enjoy trying to intimidate the guys in your cell block, I don’t think it will work.
MOO
Edit: sorry, how to dismember a body, can’t recall if searched the inevitable part 2.

Although the prosecution technically won the case, there are no winners here. Two young vibrant people are no longer with us and a 3rd is going to prison a long time, possibly for life. Hindsight is always 20/20 as many speculate as to whether Ali would have committed the murders or beat Ana had he gotten the right psychiatric treatment at a much earlier age. He has been out of control and also trying to control for quite a few years.

We can speculate how Ali will do in state prison but he will likely have to choose a side to get some form of protection. There will be no Tik Tok, no nights out in San Diego, no trips to LA and only memories of Ana and what could've been. Amira is now parentless and that will eat at him daily. I would agree with a previous poster than suicide is a definite possibility.

Thanks to all for a spirited discussion, especially @Curious Me and @ttjo.

Thank You too, @Sustained, and all others on this thread that shared your thoughts here.

MOO, well, his goose wasn't cooked as fast as some of you woulda cooked it. lol Jurors deliberated 7-10 hrs. before reaching a Verdict. I didn't think much of the Prosecution making a big deal out of his google searches. I found that distracting.

JMO here-- his Defense might've worked if the provocation was simply he unknowingly went to what was still kinda his home bringing flowers and hoping to reconcile like that had other times, opens the door... and finds them making out. Has a reaction instantly with overwhelming rash emotion. That might've worked, but...

I think the listening app on his daughter's device sunk him the most. Made it so the provocation came from him, he set it up. Gave it a premeditative slant. Without provocation, being found by them then jurors couldn't legally do anything else.

Sure, a timebomb, but it's too bad he got this far in life without getting any help in behavioral modification, anger mgmt., and psych therapy. Too bad people died at his hands. He should've been on anxiety meds all along. Not cocaine, which only amped his emotions.

So true, I hope that he uses his time in prison to get some help , gain some insight into his issues, and get a little rehabilitation so that of he ever gets out he is not a danger to people. Before I saw his tears when they were reading the verdict, he looked defeated.
He almost had it all. a beautiful wife, a child, a career headed in the direction he hoped and lost it all. I think they need to keep an eye on him right now. I know some people dont care but @Sustained you are so right, there were no winners here, and this wasn't what I'd call a victory. There's Anna's family and his family that are all hurting right now, I know it's his own doing but it wasnt their doing and they will suffer also.
I didn't like all the gloating and the cheering in the courtroom I think the judge could have warned the people in the court about outbursts.
This was awesome having these discussions, and learning with you all.

Last edited:
. I know some people dont care but I didn't like all the gloating and the cheering in the courtroom.
For this, I blame the judge. Throughout the entire trial he allowed for extreme behaviour, was not stern about outbursts, and did NOT seem to see that the gallery needed multiple warnings.

If Ali had been acquitted, there was a group of his supporters there who were there to roar with victory. Today, the victims' supporters were there, too, as is their right.

Bad behaviour by the gallery was not surprising to me here.. this was a case with high emotions. The lack of control the judge had of his courtroom WAS this big surprise, to me.

Last edited:
...I think they need to keep an eye on him right now. I know some people dont care but I didn't like all the gloating and the cheering in the courtroom.
The Court TV panel criticized the Judge for not maintaining decorum in the courtroom. They criticized allowing the cheering, allowing Ali's profanity on the stand, and his challenging the Prosecution so strongly instead of answering. The cheering was crass. @ttjo, I like that you see the human being in the defendant. Wondering if anybody knows-- What happened with the daughter? Is she with some family of Ana's or Ali's that will raise her and take good care of her?

Where are Ana's parents/family? Are they US military? I am a little confused since she was on a military base in Japan (US territory) but then Ali was lording over her the whole citizenship thing and mocking her, calling her 'Ms Filipina'.... if they were married she would have had a green card, right? (She is not Japanese.)

Yet another power grab/ power dynamic where Ali exercised control over Ana. But of course the daughter had US citizenship.... so why the heck does Ali say that to Ana? As if he would be able to "revoke" her green card if they divorced?

Last edited:
...Today, turns out, the victims' supporters were there, too...
So glad you were here @AnyNameIWish. It was a more exciting trial compared to some. Some get too bogged down in dry subject matter.

Oh yes, you're right about him throwing that green card type talk at her. I had the same questions about where her family is and I didn't know her nationality for sure.

I only noticed one man in the gallery that had a white covering on his hair sitting behind the defense table in the gallery there daily. They never seemed to pan full shot over the courtroom gallery like they did in the Murdaugh trial.

The local news mentioned this. During this trial, there was someone in the courtroom gallery making (facial?) gestures while Ali was testifying on the witness stand. The judge warned he would throw them out.​

The Court TV panel criticized the Judge for not maintaining decorum in the courtroom. They criticized allowing the cheering, allowing Ali's profanity on the stand, and his challenging the Prosecution so strongly instead of answering. The cheering was crass. @ttjo, I like that you see the human being in the defendant. Wondering if anybody knows-- What happened with the daughter? Is she with some family of Ana's or Ali's that will raise her and take good care of her?
I'm not 100% but I think I heard Anna's family?? but don't quote me

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back