CA - Andrea Vazquez, 19, poss. kidnapped by armed suspect after shooting, blood found near vehicle, Whittier, 19 Aug 2023 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“An adult male witness reported that while at the park with an adult female companion, an armed suspect approached their vehicle and fired a weapon in their direction,” police said in a statement.

“The male witness ran from the location and upon his return, discovered blood near his vehicle and his female companion was missing,” police said. “Detectives are actively working this investigation and following up on all leads.”

19-year-old allegedly kidnapped during shooting at Whittier park

According to family members, Andrea Vazquez was at Penn Park on Penn Street Sunday night with her boyfriend when an armed man approached their vehicle and started shooting at them.

Her sister, Edlyn Vazquez, said the boyfriend took off but when he returned, Andrea was gone.

"As he turned his back to ask for help, in that moment, my sister was kidnapped," said Edlyn.

She said the boyfriend saw blood near their car and realized Andrea was gone. Edlyn said she was able to track Andrea's location for a few minutes using Apple's Find My iPhone feature.

"I tracked it to ... going down the 60. I started following it and the location stopped in Moreno Valley, and that's the last known location that I have of her," she said.

Retired LAPD detective supervisor Moses Castillo is helping the Vazquez family and believes Andrea could be in grave danger.

"We believe that Andrea was hit, that's according to her boyfriend that saw blooding coming out somewhere from her body," said Castillo. "We do know that this case led us all the way to Moreno Valley. She can be anywhere from Riverside County to L.A. County. We're very concerned."

"We believe that Andrea was hit, that's according to her boyfriend that saw blooding coming out somewhere from her body," said Castillo. "We do know that this case led us all the way to Moreno Valley. She can be anywhere from Riverside County to L.A. County. We're very concerned."
from @imstilla.grandma 's link.

This detail is different from what we had previously heard. We've been told the bf found blood near his car and no Andrea when he returned to the area. The above statement would appear to indicate he actually saw her being abducted and was bleeding from somewhere at that time? Several things about this case don't add up for me. Gonna sit back and wait for the math to start mathing.

ETA Did he see her bleeding as he ran away then returned to the car to find her blood but no her? And what is "blooding"? journalistic proofing error?

from @imstilla.grandma 's link.

This detail is different from what we had previously heard. We've been told the bf found blood near his car and no Andrea when he returned to the area. The above statement would appear to indicate he actually saw her being abducted and was bleeding from somewhere at that time? Several things about this case don't add up for me. Gonna sit back and wait for the math to start mathing.

ETA Did he see her bleeding as he ran away then returned to the car to find her blood but no her? And what is "blooding"? journalistic proofing error?
that's what is so curious, LE is allowing (i say that because if they were counting on this info to further investigation they'd ensure info was accurately disbursed) many different versions of the events of that night to be told online and in the news. My opinion is that they are just going through the motions of that so the real suspect is relaxed and caught off guard while they are closely monitoring them.

Moses Castillo on Instagram: "@foxla @ginasilvaworld @whittierpolicedept @virgh0ul @33dr3a @draselenevazquez @becerravero @losangelescrimestoppers @riversidecountysheriff"

not sure if that will post correctly, sorry (it's the fifth post as of right now on the profile, a Fox 11 LA report). yet another version of what happened. just slightly different. this time they ducked and when the bf saw the gunman approach the bf left then returned and she was gone.

something interesting of note is that this account is from a "detective moses castillo", who (god bless him) is retired LE that apparently helps people and works in private industry. so, the "detective" designation part of the account can be misleading because he's not officially LE any longer. just an observation. gives more credibility to the info shared than maybe deserves. IMHO.

i dunno. i'm just so cynical. been blindsided by one too many horrific crimes, i second and triple guess everything.

is there a possibility someone close to the victim has some involvement with some unsavory characters? is it possible Andrea is collateral damage?

i really hope she's found soon and this is nothing more than a hoax. this is hitting so close to home & having nieces this age. i don't know what i'd do if anything happened to them.

Family members told the news outlet that Vazquez was in a car parked at the curb when another vehicle suddenly pulled up and fired a shot, striking their loved one.

They also claim that the boyfriend then ran to another couple in the park for help.

The missing woman's frantic sister said that she traced her sister's phone early Sunday morning to a field just off the 10 Freeway in Moreno Valley.

At the location she said more blood was found, but there was no trace of her sister phone or her sister.

Edlyn had a message to share with her sister that she told KTLA sharing that she was 'not going to stop looking for her.'

'Just stay strong and we're here and we're looking,' Edlyn said.

A 19-year-old girl who was allegedly kidnapped during a shooting at a park in Whittier was found dead and one person has been arrested, according to police.

Andrea Vazquez's body was found Monday night. Police said 20-year-old Gabriel Esparza, a Whittier resident, was arrested in connection with the shooting and kidnapping of Andrea.

Esparza was arrested at his job in the city of Lakewood, police said.

According to family members, Andrea was at Penn Park Sunday night with her boyfriend when an armed man approached their vehicle and started shooting at them, family members said.

A 19-year-old girl who was allegedly kidnapped during a shooting at a park in Whittier was found dead and one person has been arrested, according to police.

Andrea Vazquez's body was found Monday night. Police said 20-year-old Gabriel Esparza, a Whittier resident, was arrested in connection with the shooting and kidnapping of Andrea.

Esparza was arrested at his job in the city of Lakewood, police said.

According to family members, Andrea was at Penn Park Sunday night with her boyfriend when an armed man approached their vehicle and started shooting at them, family members said.
This is horrible

b82e6839-GENERIC-WEB-MAIN-1.jpg

Gabriel Sean Esparza has been arrested in connection with Andrea Vasquez’s disappearance.

After a day-long search, Police said they found Vazquez's body in a vegetation field off Alessandro Boulevard and Merwin Street in Moreno Valley. Earlier that day, Whittier Police said they arrested a suspect, 20-year-old Gabriel Esparza of Whittier, at his job in Lakewood.

b82e6839-GENERIC-WEB-MAIN-1.jpg

Gabriel Sean Esparza has been arrested in connection with Andrea Vasquez’s disappearance.

After a day-long search, Police said they found Vazquez's body in a vegetation field off Alessandro Boulevard and Merwin Street in Moreno Valley. Earlier that day, Whittier Police said they arrested a suspect, 20-year-old Gabriel Esparza of Whittier, at his job in Lakewood.
Is he the boyfriend?

Is he the boyfriend?
* I don’t think so. That’s what I was trying to figure out though.

Investigators believe the shooting was random.

Vazquez’s sister said that she traced her phone early Sunday to a field Moreno Valley. At the location, she said she found more blood, but no phone and no further trace of the victim.

Around 11:50 p.m. Monday, investigators found Vazquez’s body in a vegetation field off Alessandro Boulevard and Merwin Street in Moreno Valley.

It is unclear, however, where and how exactly she died.

A weapon believed to have been used in the crime was recovered, but authorities have not elaborated on how they were able to tie Esparza to the crime.

Is he the boyfriend?
I don't think so. I would have bet money the bf would turn out to be responsible and the abduction story would turn out to be hooey.

WHITTIER, Calif. (KABC) -- A 19-year-old who was kidnapped during a shooting at a Whittier park over the weekend was found dead and according to police, she was killed in a random attack.
19-year-old kidnapped, shot to death at Whittier park was 'randomly targeted,' police say

ETA: I owe her unnamed boyfriend an apology. prayers for him and for Andrea's other friends and loved ones.

Detectives discovered Vasquez's body around 11:50 p.m. Monday. in a vegetation field off Alessandro Boulevard and Merwin Street in Moreno Valley.

The Whittier Police Department believes it was a random attack.

Detectives recovered Esparza's 2013 White Toyota Tacoma truck and a weapon that was believed to be used in the crime. Esparza is being held without bail.
Whittier woman kidnapped from car during shooting is dead, 20-year-old arrested

Esparza is being held without bail for Vazquez's alleged kidnapping and murder. Police said they'll be presenting the case to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office for possible charges on Wednesday.

No other information about the case was immediately available.
Andrea Vazquez: Missing Whittier 19-year-old found dead in Riverside, suspect arrested

I wonder if maybe this was an abduction gone wrong? Maybe he didn't intend to shoot or kill her, just use the gun to get her out of the vehicle and into his but things went off the rails for whatever reason.

I just saw the news and I can’t be more sad :-( I wanted to believe she would be found safe but I had a gut feeling as soon as I saw the first article about what happened that she was not going to be ok. She was so young, very pretty too :-( rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back