GUILTY CA - Anna Ayala falsely claimed finding finger in Wendy's chili, San Jose, 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I used to eat at this Wendys a couple times a week for lunch..My ex lives around the corner from it..I asked him if he wanted to go for some finger food..

Oh my goodness! This is SO unbelievably GROSS!!!!:sick::sick::sick:
:eek::eek::eek:

Feeling very sick here,

love,

Ariel

Did anyone see this headline last night?

Sales Drop at Wendy's After Finger Found

Well... DUH!!

LOL - no kidding? I bet they wanted to keep this story hush hush

Authorities seek hand with a missing finger

See this link for pics of the finger! :sick:

The mystery of how a human finger found its way into a bowl of fast-food chili has sparked a series of investigations that hope to trace the finger back from a San Jose restaurant to the hand it was detached from.

The far-flung probes began after a diner at a Wendy's restaurant on Monterey Road bit into the 13/8-inch piece of a finger Tuesday evening while eating chili.

Investigators from Santa Clara County's Department of Environmental Health are tracing the meat, sauce, beans, spices and frozen vegetables used in the tainted chili back to their producers in hopes of linking the finger to an industrial accident.

"We probably are going to go back as far as the grower of the beans," said Ben Gale, the environmental health director, even as a restaurant spokesman expressed confidence that the digit had not originated in the food supply process.

Thanks for the pic, Cass. I thought after soaking in spices and juices it would have been discolored. Makes you wonder about the preservatives in that stuff.

I'll tell ya- I never thought of the bean growers... and depending on what country that's in, I'm not quite as surprised that we haven't heard of who that person is yet.

I was picturing it as someone at the packaging company, or something...

Casshew said:
Authorities seek hand with a missing finger

See this link for pics of the finger!

I didn't wanna - I came over here for a bit of light relief but I had already seen the article on Thursday, so I just had to go take a peek. EEEEEK - that's not just a small tip of the finger, as I'd imagined! :sick::sick::sick:

Oh well, maybe one day I'll learn not to let curiosity get the better of me! :eek:

Scorpion said:
Oh well, maybe one day I'll learn not to let curiosity get the better of me! :eek:
It's like looking at a train wreck.. you just can't help yourself :crazy:

Casshew said:
It's like looking at a train wreck.. you just can't help yourself :crazy:
I'm not going look again, but my first thought was "that doesn't look like a finger to me - some poor guy must be missing part of his anatomy...." :bang:

IrishMist said:
ohforcryingoutloud, Casshew!!

It will be quite awhile before I'll be able to eat at Wendy's again.

Between that and the IrishMister meowing when I'm eating chinese food...
Hi all! I've been lurking for months, but IrishMist...have a story about chinese food for ya...
Me and MIL were in chinese restauant with my 3 year old. MIL was asking the waitress what kind of meat was in a particular dish, well sonny boy blurted out very loudly, "It prolly cat". The look on that waitress' face was priceless :eek: , not to mention other diners scrutinizing their plates a little closer.

SadieMae said:
"It prolly cat". The look on that waitress' face was priceless :eek: , not to mention other diners scrutinizing their plates a little closer.
humor027.jpg

Several in the lunch crowd at Wendy's on Friday had heard the story about the finger, but it wasn't enough to keep them away.

Three days earlier, a woman bit into part of a human finger while eating a bowl of chili at one of the restaurant chain's six franchises here, according to Santa Clara County health officials.

Sheriff's investigators are still trying to determine where the finger — described as about an inch long and likely belonging to a woman — came from.

If successful in lifting a print, they will enter it into a nationwide criminal database to help solve the mystery.

Since news of the incident broke, sales at the Monterey Road franchise "have gone down dramatically," said Denny Lynch, a spokesman for the Ohio-based restaurant chain.

"Their sales are off and they will continue to be off," Lynch said. "It's pretty understandable. It's not just a one-day deal."

The incident occurred Tuesday when a customer took a bite of her chili and found what later was confirmed to be a human finger, said Ben Gale, environmental health director for the county Department of Health.

"She is suffering from trauma and the shock of finding this thing in her chili," he said.

The San Jose Mercury News identified her as Anna Ayala, 39, of Las Vegas.

Ayala told the Mercury News that she feels nauseous when thinking of the finger in her soup and is still losing sleep over the incident.

"That is very sick, sick, sick," she told the newspaper.

"It's disgusting. You're playing with the human race…. It's a taste I have never tasted in my whole life."

Following the incident, workers were immediately checked and questioned by restaurant managers and authorities.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-me-finger26mar26.story

The human finger found in a bowl of chili at a San Jose Wendy's might not have been cooked with the chili and could have been snuck in later in the preparation process, Santa Clara County officials said Friday.

"We're still going to have to sit down with our crime lab experts and see if there's a test that can determine that," said Bob Dixon, a sheriff's office captain who is assigned to the coroner's office.

Working with ingredients shipped to the San Jose Wendy's, employees normally assemble ground hamburger meat with canned sauce, seasoning and beans, plus chopped frozen celery, onions and green peppers, then cook the whole mix for four to six hours.

"The possibilities are still all out there on where and when it came into the chili," said Dr. Martin Fenstersheib, Santa Clara County's health officer.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/26/BAG1KBUNUU1.DTL

A woman recounted on national TV Monday her revulsion at discovering she'd chomped on a human finger in a bowl of chili at a San Jose Wendy's last week, while her newly hired attorney began exploring a possible settlement with the restaurant.

"Just knowing that there was a human remain in my mouth ... it is disgusting. It is tearing me apart inside," Anna Ayala told ABC News' "Good Morning America" as Santa Clara County investigators continued efforts to determine whom the fingertip belonged to.

The Las Vegas woman, who was visiting San Jose relatives during the dining ordeal last Tuesday, told ABC she'd crumbled crackers into a bowl of chili and was just digging in.

"Suddenly, I chew something that's kind of hard, crunchy,'' she said. "I spit it out. At first I wasn't sure what it was. We started investigating and poking it, (with) other people, too. That's when we find there's something that looks like a nail.

"There's no words to describe what I felt, what was going through me," said Ayala, who lost her lunch after the discovery. "I mean, it is something that's -- my God, it is sick.''

<>Ayala's San Jose attorney, Jeffrey Janoff, said he had contacted the Wendy's franchise's insurance company Monday to notify it that his client had a claim. He said that no formal legal proceeding had begun and that a lawsuit might not be filed if a settlement could be reached.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/29/BAGBRBVURU1.DTL
</>

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee