CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday, August 23rd:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 1:30pm PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - Joseph James DeAngelo (72/32 @ time of crime) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Sacramento County.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather’s) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch) cracked East Area Rapist case, DA's office says.
4/27/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, where investigators believe he killed Dr. Robert Offerman (44) & Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning (35) in December 30, 1979 and Cheri Domingo (35) & Gregory Sanchez (27) in July 27, 1981, all in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances. Patrice Harrington (28) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point, Manuela Witthuhn (21) on 2/26/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine.
8/13/18 Update: charged in Tulare County with 1 count of 1st degree murder with use of a firearm in the death of Claude Snelling (45) (Sept. 11, 1975) in Visalia.
Total 13 counts of 1st degree murder.
All will be tried in Sacramento County: charged with
13 counts of murder with special circumstances, including murder committed during the course of a burglary and rape. The amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes.
5/2/18: A motion hearing involving a sealed search warrant in the case.
5/4/18: Judge denies defense motion. Rules search warrant seeking photos & DNA of JJD will proceed.
5/14/18: DeAngelo's last hearing was on 5/29 for the judge to decide on various motions from the defense, including one to close coverage of the hearings to the media. DeAngelo's lawyers also are fighting to keep the arrest warrant and search warrant affidavits sealed, despite a motion from The Sacramento Bee and numerous other news organizations to release them. JJD might enter a plea at today’s (5/29) hearing.
5/29/18: Judge will decide on 5/31/18 regarding release of some documents.
5/29/18 Update: East Area rapist case will be continued to Thursday (5/31) afternoon @ 1:35pm. No decision yet on whether judge will unseal warrants. Judge expects to release some documents in East Area Rapist case by Friday, with redactions. JJD did not enter a plea on Wednesday 5/29.
5/31/18 Update: Lawyers in the East Area Rapist case. This hearing was closed to the public, held Judge’s chambers. Attorneys Thursday continued to hash out what information should be redacted from arrest and search warrants that a judge in Sacramento plans to release as early as Friday (6/1).
6/1/18: Hearing was closed to public. Another Motions hearing today, June 1st.
6/1/18 Update: The DNA evidence that authorities used to arrest Joseph James DeAngelo in the East Area Rapist case came from swabbing his car door in a public parking lot and later retrieving a used tissue from his trash can, newly released court documents show. Investigators had JJD under surveillance as a suspect. Details related to homicides could be unsealed, Judge Sweet said, adding that DeAngelo has been charged with the offenses and information is already in the public domain. But information related to sex crime allegations will remain under seal, Sweet ruled, agreeing with defense attorneys that "widespread public dissemination may result in inaccurate, inadmissible information." "The defendant is not charged" with sex crimes, Sweet said. Information about possible sex crimes, the judge said, would prejudice his right to a fair trial. The judge agreed that search warrant information regarding DeAngelo's alleged murder victims, including Brian and Katie Maggiore, who were killed in Rancho Cordova in 1978, can be released. They didn’t release any evidence found. But the judge said he was keeping sealed for now any information about what was seized from computers, cellphones, photo albums, cars or his home, saying that releasing that information would "create an overwhelming prejudice." Much of the nearly 200 pages of documents focus on attacks the East Area Rapist made in the Sacramento area in the 1970s, and although many of those details have been publicly known for years, the judge had many redacted because they related to sex crimes for which DeAngelo has not been charged.
7/11/18 Update: DeAngelo has already been charged with 12 GSK murders up and down the state and will soon be charged with a 13th. Sgt. Damon Maurice, public information officer for the Visalia Police Department, said in an interview last week that VPD submitted its criminal case against DeAngelo on May 30 for the murder of Claude Snelling. “The case is currently under review by the District Attorney’s Office,” Maurice said.
7/12/18 Update: Brief hearing, Defense asked for more discovery; also defense objected to media coverage in courtroom (still cameras only) Judge overrules objection. Next hearing 9/5.
8/21/18 Update: Hearing added after press conference with all County attorneys for 8/23.
8/22/18 Update: Prosecutors in six counties filed an amended felony complaint in Sacramento Superior Court that combined the previous cases against DeAngelo in those counties. Those charges include 13 counts of murder with special circumstances, including murder committed during the course of a burglary and rape, prosecutors said. The amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes, authorities said. Case will be tried in Sacramento County.
His mayhem touched 10 counties, and he was variously called the East Area Rapist, Original Nightstalker, Diamond Knot Killer and Visalia Ransacker before authorities discovered that the various strings of crimes appeared to be the work of a single man. responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries between 1974 and 1986, when his crimes appeared to mysteriously end. It's also believed the serial killer also possibly killed Claude Snelling (45) on 9/11/75 in Visalia, Tulare County. In 2001, DNA evidence linked the East Area Rapist and Original Nightstalker cases.

from the jail site:

Next Court Date 12/6/2018 at 1:35 PM.

link: Sacramento County Sheriff's Department
This shows what type of hearings are held in each department at each time. His department is 61 (Honorable Judge Michael Sweet). The hearings scheduled at 1:35 pm are law and motion or further proceedings. This case is now so voluminous that it will take several years to try before a jury. Hopefully he pleas out and saves the State millions of dollars.

https://www.saccourt.ca.gov/criminal/docs/criminal-volume-depts.pdf

Thanks for the explanation Suglo.

Have I told you - every time I see your name - I think of Sluggo - the comic strip. :D

Thanks for the explanation Suglo.

Have I told you - every time I see your name - I think of Sluggo - the comic strip. :D
Lol! I remember that comic strip! I didn’t know what to use so I picked first 2 letters of my first name and first 3 letters of my middle name. Weird I know ;)

Just a guess.... LOL!
Lol I was shocked at how good of a guess you had. Then I realized there are not many other names that start with Su and Glo :p Still I’m sure not many would have guessed correctly!

Alleged Golden State Killer case is in Sacramento, now the hard work begins to bring it to trial

August 23, 2018

"Six district attorneys gathered in a Santa Ana, California hall Tuesday to announce they were joining forces to try the man accused of one of the most notorious crime sprees in the state's history.

Such an effort had never happened before in California.

But it will in Sacramento and now, decades in the making, the hard work of bringing Joseph James DeAngelo to trial has begun anew.

DeAngelo, 72, of Citrus Heights, will return Thursday to Sacramento Superior Court to be arraigned on the raft of new charges in the now-consolidated case. Prosecutors filed 13 new allegations Tuesday tied to sex assaults in Sacramento and Contra Costa counties joining the 13 murder counts that had been filed in Sacramento, Orange, Santa Barbara, Tulare and Ventura counties.

Special allegations accompany 10 of the murders in the new filing alleging burglaries, robberies and rapes committed during the commission of the slayings.

And, more charges could come, said Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas...."

Alleged Golden State Killer case is in Sacramento, now the hard work begins to bring it to trial
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golden State Killer suspect arraigned on new charges
The consolidated case against the 72-year-old spans six California counties and two decades.

Aug.23.2018

"The retired police officer suspected of being the Golden State Killer was arraigned Thursday in a California courtroom on 13 new rape-related counts and 13 murder charges.

No plea was entered as Joseph James DeAngelo stood stone-faced in a courtroom cage to hear the charges read against him, according to NBC News affiliate KCRA in Sacramento. He appeared to have lost weight.

The onetime officer, 72, faced the new rape-related allegations filed as kidnappings to commit robberies because California's statute of limitations for sexual assaults excludes cases that old....

The allegations against DeAngelo in an amended felony complaint filed Tuesday are:

In Contra Costa County, four counts of kidnapping to commit robbery using a gun and knife between Oct. 7, 1978, and June 11, 1979.
In Sacramento County, two counts of murder for the Feb. 2, 1978, shootings of Kate Maggoire, 20, and Brian Maggoire, 21, and nine counts of kidnapping to commit robbery using a gun and knife between Sept. 4, 1976, and Oct. 21, 1977.

In Ventura County, two counts of murder in the rape and slaying of Charlene Smith, 33, and slaying of Lyman Smith, 43, between March 13 and March 16, 1980.

And in Orange County, four counts of murder in the Aug. 21, 1980, slaying of Keith Harrington, 24, and rape and slaying of Patrice Harrington, 27; the Feb. 6, 1981, rape and slaying of Manuela Witthuhn, 28; and the May 5, 1986, rape and slaying of Janelle Cruz, 18....

Prosecutors have yet to decide whether to seek the death penalty. DeAngelo is scheduled to return to court in December."

Golden State Killer suspect arraigned on rape-related charges
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The woman behind the scenes who helped capture the Golden State Killer

08/25/18

"“How sure are you?” the FBI agent asked Barbara Rae-Venter.

“As long as we have all the descendants in the family tree, then I’m sure,” the retired intellectual property attorney and genetic genealogist told him.

About a week later, on April 25, Joseph DeAngelo was arrested; he has since been charged with 13 counts of murder and 13 counts of kidnapping. Investigators say the 72-year-old Citrus Heights man, a former police officer, is the Golden State Killer, the notorious serial murderer and rapist responsible for a terrifying crime spree up and down the state during the 1970s and ’80s.

A key, as-yet-untold role in connecting DeAngelo to the crimes was played by Rae-Venter, who had kept quiet about her work to help solve the infamous cold case until speaking exclusively with this news organization this week. ...

“I have quite a number of cases … in progress,” Rae-Venter said. “I’m hoping to get results as early as next week.”

One is the “Boy in the Box,” a 1957 cold case out of Philadelphia where an unknown boy aged 3 to 7 years old was found murdered in a cardboard box.

Most of her work is still as an uncompensated volunteer. At a recent Burbank presentation about her work, Rae-Venter realized the payoff.

A woman, who knew two Golden State Killer victims, approached her after she spoke, in tears and barely able to speak.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” she said."

The woman behind the scenes who helped capture the Golden State Killer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cold-Case Cure: Inside New Era of Hunting Serial Killers
New advances in DNA technology — and new databases allowing law-enforcement searches — means more unsolved murder cases are being closed.

“The field of forensic genealogy was brought to the public’s attention after the April 25th arrest of Joseph James DeAngelo, a 72-year-old retired cop from California, who is alleged to be the Golden State Killer. The GSK had been an obsession among law enforcement and criminology hobbyists for decades. He was suspected of committing at least 12 murders, 50 rapes and 100 burglaries in California between 1974 and 1986...”

Cold-Case Cure: Inside New Era of Hunting Serial Killers – Rolling Stone

Sure wish I still lived in Auburn - I'd be driving down to watch this case in court, & report all back to you all. oh well...

with all these new cases being solved with familial DNA and genealogy testing, do we have a link here to compile those? I think that would be a really cool thread.

Cold-Case Cure: Inside New Era of Hunting Serial Killers
New advances in DNA technology — and new databases allowing law-enforcement searches — means more unsolved murder cases are being closed.

“The field of forensic genealogy was brought to the public’s attention after the April 25th arrest of Joseph James DeAngelo, a 72-year-old retired cop from California, who is alleged to be the Golden State Killer. The GSK had been an obsession among law enforcement and criminology hobbyists for decades. He was suspected of committing at least 12 murders, 50 rapes and 100 burglaries in California between 1974 and 1986...”

Cold-Case Cure: Inside New Era of Hunting Serial Killers – Rolling Stone

What an interesting in-depth article! Thank you so much for sharing it!

with all these new cases being solved with familial DNA and genealogy testing, do we have a link here to compile those? I think that would be a really cool thread.

Here's what I have from my list. These are only the cases I'm following, so there "might" be more on here that I'm missing.

AZ - Allison Feldman (2-1-2015) - Ian Mitcham - DNA match w/familial match to CODIS
AZ - Allison Feldman, 31, Scottsdale, 18 Feb 2015 #4 *Arrest*

PA - Christy Mirack (12-21-1992) - Raymond Rowe aka DJ Freez - GED/Match
Pa - Christy Ann Mirack, 25, E. Lampeter Twp, 21 Dec 1992

IN - April Tinsley (4-1-1988) - John D. Miller - Parabon Nanolabs
IN - IN - April Tinsley, 8, Fort Wayne 1 April 1988 *Arrest*

WA - Michella Welch (3-26-1986) - Gary C. Hartman - GED/Match
Wa - Michella Welch, 12, Tacoma, 26 March 1986 *arrest*

WA - Jennifer Bastian (8-4-1986) - Robert D. Washburn - Parabon Nanolabs
WA - Jennifer Bastian, 13, Tacoma, 4 Aug 1986 *ARREST*

CA - East Bay Rapist/Golden State Killer -13 murders solved - GED/Match
CA - CA - ARREST in East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer Case #4

WA - Jay Cook & Tanya Van Cuylenborg (11-19-1987) - William Talbott - GED/Match
WA - WA - Jay Cook, 20, & Tanya Van Cuylenborg, 18, Skagit County, 24 Nov 1987

She Helped Crack the Golden State Killer Case. Here’s What She’s Going to Do Next.
"She Helped Crack the Golden State Killer Case. Here’s What She’s Going to Do Next.
Barbara Rae-Venter’s genealogical sleuthing acumen has inspired others to help law enforcement with unsolved cases, as well as an ethics and privacy debate."
  • Aug. 29, 2018
"Much to the frustration of her proud son, the genetic genealogist who helped crack the unsolved case of the Golden State Killer decided early in the investigation that she did not want to be named.

“I was worried about my safety, which is why it’s taken me so long to come out of the closet,” said Barbara Rae-Venter.

Last week, the 70-year-old former attorney, who lives in California, decided she was ready, allowing Paul Holes, a retired investigator at the Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office to name her in a tweet:"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
april89