Found Safe CA - Ashley Lynn Zachman, 36, Santa Barbara, 29 May 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That’s crazy that ATMs would have security cameras, but that they would be poor quality. What’s the purpose to have them if they aren’t clear? Lol

I remember reading about the Wichita Massacre.. the Carr brothers did a home invasion on the home of a 20 something couple who also had a couple friends staying over that night. They repeatedly raped and beat all of them, before driving each one to the ATM machine separately.. while the others stayed home with the other brother being beat. Eventually, they drove them all to an empty soccer field, had them kneel naked, shot each one in the head. Then ran over them with their car as they left .

One of the victims miraculously survived and ran naked through snow, in 20 degree weather, to a home in the middle of the night. When they shot her in the head, the bullet bounced off of a hair clip she had in her hair, saving her life.

That girl went on to marry another victim of the Carr victims from a separate case and she is also an award winning teacher. Amazing person it sounds like.

It’s an extremely terrifying story and remarkable how brave that girl was. But these home abductions do occur with people forcing someone to use their atm info.

I’m hoping this girl just took off for awhile and is found safe. I remember seeing a fb post that said she was seen at a bank inside the palisades view mall or something like that? I don’t know if that was confirmed or rumor.

No specific signs of foul play according to the Police. But also nothing is mentioned about possible ATM usage, by anybody.

SBPD confirmed they have investigated various electronic records, checked surveillance video at businesses and public places and interviewed employees at the hospital.

That car is very popular as is the color. But she has a very distinctive face, with those eyes and that smile. So posters and flyers and social coverage must lead to something.

But we don't know that she left or was taken somewhere at 530 PM on May 29, correct? It's just stated that she was definitely at work that day and left at 5 PM. Her phone was at home (and I'm assuming they also found her work clothes there), so family knows she DID come home from work that day. But she wasn't reported missing until Monday. Did family try to contact her earlier that weekend without luck and just didn't report her missing until Monday? If so, I would be interested to know what times they tried contacting her without her answering. Did anyone text with her over that weekend or FaceTime or meet up with her? If they did, I don't think they've come forward with it or else LE would have said she went missing as of XYZ time and it wouldn't have been that she was last seen on Friday, correct?

She could have had a normal Friday evening. Perhaps someone broke into her home in the middle of the night, forced her to grab her purse, forced her into her own vehicle, and they left with her in the middle of the night? That could explain an open door (if one existed) and cats outside (if that did happen), but no one witnessing this taking place. MOO

On Monday, June 8, police say they obtained surveillance video taken in Ventura on Monday, June 1, that showed a woman believed to be Zachman. A family member confirmed that it was her.

Police say she was alone in the video and there are no indications of foul play.

No foul play suspected in Santa Barbara missing nurse case

This would be fantastic news. Sometimes you just need to get away from everything and take some time to yourself. Hope she’s safe and healthy, and will contact LE to let them she’s ok and left on her own accord. I can only imagine how stressed she’s been at work the last few months too.

Santa Barbara Police confirmed to The NewsChannel that missing Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital nurse Ashley Zachman was seen on surveillance video in Ventura.

Police obtained the video on Monday, June 8, but the video was taken on June 1, 2020 just two days after she disappeared and about the same time her family reported her missing. Santa Barbara Police tell The NewsChannel that Zachman's family has seen the video and confirmed it is Ashley in the surveillance footage. It appears Zachman is alone in the video.
Police are not saying where the video was taken or how they obtained it.

On June 5th, authorities expanded their search to include outside California. Santa Barbara Police said they are continuing their search for Zachman, but that there appears to be no foul play in her disappearance.

Missing Santa Barbara nurse seen on surveillance video alone - KEYT | KCOY

There is no indication of foul play then where is she? Nothing on her phone or computer indicating she was meeting someone or traveling for the weekend, or in this case 10 days now?

I guess she just took a break

Last edited:
Well, just because there is no indication of foul play, it doesn’t mean she is necessarily safe. A normally responsible person who isn’t known to take off or go off the grid doesn’t do this and cause such worry.

It’s great news she appears to be alone. I’m concerned she’s had some type of mental health episode and needs help. Or maybe she has an unknown drug problem. Regardless, hope she touches base with her family.

Her being alone is a good sign for potential current safety. At the least she wasn’t being held by gunpoint to take out the $$$.

Still odd that she left so hurriedly on FRI after work, so much so that the back door was open and cats got out. It was like she came home, hurriedly changed clothes and left. Not sure why it was that quick. AZ lives alone and is an adult so not like she had to leave before someone else got there.

The phone being left is a giveaway that however she vanished - voluntarily or forced - the person(s) who initiated the departure did not wish for her to be tracked. At this point, it appears that person is AZ herself.

Recent article also said LE has expanded their search outside CA which they wouldn’t do unless there was reasonable belief she left the state. Really sounding like this one is an adult runaway.

Her being alone is a good sign for potential current safety. At the least she wasn’t being held by gunpoint to take out the $$$.

Still odd that she left so hurriedly on FRI after work, so much so that the back door was open and cats got out. It was like she came home, hurriedly changed clothes and left. Not sure why it was that quick. AZ lives alone and is an adult so not like she had to leave before someone else got there.

The phone being left is a giveaway that however she vanished - voluntarily or forced - the person(s) who initiated the departure did not wish for her to be tracked. At this point, it appears that person is AZ herself.

Recent article also said LE has expanded their search outside CA which they wouldn’t do unless there was reasonable belief she left the state. Really sounding like this one is an adult runaway.
I didn't see the info about the cats in MSM. Where is it from?

Abandoning pets would indicate that something was wrong. Either she planned to return sooner or left the door open on purpose.

Where did she spend the first weekend?

Has she already been reported missing when she was seen on ATM surveillance? If not, it's possible that something happened to her afterwards that prevented her from returning in time for her next shift at work.

This is the second case within a month of someone just taking off on their own without letting loved ones know.

Is this a fairly common occurrence, or do you think COVID and the chaos of the world is contributing to it? It just seems usually when people disappear, foul play ends up being the end result.

So the timeline is..she came home Friday, changed, left her phone there and back door open and just didn't come back? Then seen at an ATM on Monday?

I wonder if she had a drug problem? I also wonder if they're checking parking lots or places people could park on streets or something to see if she possibly overdosed in her car?

I'm so glad AZ is safe but I hope she notifies a friend or family member.

This is the second case within a month of someone just taking off on their own without letting loved ones know.

Is this a fairly common occurrence, or do you think COVID and the chaos of the world is contributing to it? It just seems usually when people disappear, foul play ends up being the end result.

So the timeline is..she came home Friday, changed, left her phone there and back door open and just didn't come back? Then seen at an ATM on Monday?

I wonder if she had a drug problem? I also wonder if they're checking parking lots or places people could park on streets or something to see if she possibly overdosed in her car?

I'm so glad AZ is safe but I hope she notifies a friend or family member.

Just because she was seen on video doesn't mean that she is safe.

Something could have happened to her after she was seen on ATM

The search for ALZ continues

California (NBC) (06/09/20)— A week has passed since 36-year-old Ashley Lynn Zachman did not show up for her shift at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara where she works as a nurse, and her family is worried.

According to Anthony Wagner, the Public Engagement Manager for Santa Barbara Police, Ashley was last seen at work and left between 5 P.M. and 5:30 P.M. on Friday, May 29, 2020.

Police believe she made it home to her apartment in Santa Barbara and then left again.

“We just don’t have any answers at this point,” Ashley’s older sister, Erica Safecheck, told Dateline. “Anything is a possibility. But we just want to know that she is safe.”

Erica told Dateline this is “out-of-character” for Ashley to just up and leave without telling anyone.

“This isn’t like her at all,” Erica said. “And we don’t know if she’s alone or if someone is with her.”

“We’re just at a loss of where she would go,” Erica told Dateline. “Until then, it’s hard to know where to even start.”

Erica describes her little sister as a free spirit who loves traveling, being the “best auntie” to Erica’s children, and passionate about helping others as a nurse.

The search continues to find a nurse that went missing after her shift on May 29

Last edited:
Well I am glad that she was seen on video and that someone else was not using her ATM card, which really would have been worrisome. I so hope she is truly safe and just decided to take some time away for whatever reason. But I honestly am still concerned about her. There is a possibility she is having a mental break or something along those lines which makes me concerned about things like possible self-harm.

It also doesn't necessarily to me mean that her departure wasn't caused by someone else. I keep thinking of the awful Petit family murders where they took her to the bank and forced her to withdraw money. I do believe she somehow signaled to people in the bank while withdrawing money, but she was sent in alone, and if she hadn't said something, the surveillance camera would have just picked it up as a normal bank transaction. I hope something like that isn't happening here. MOO

Ashley must have kept in daily contact with family for them to be so concerned when she didn't contact them. So if she was planning a trip to Bali based on her travel buddy profile would the expectation be that she contact people on a daily basis? It stated that she's only traveled in the US so far, no foreign countries. She seems to enjoy adventure, in regards to the skydiving.

A friend of mine goes to Vietnam for months on end and never really updates anyone. He'll go into an internet cafe ,and send a multi-link message to people, kind of like a travelogue. We're used to that behavior so no one questions his absence.

I hope she was just overwhelmed with work and requirements and decided to unplug. Eleven days is a long time, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back