CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that too. Is it a time difference issue possibly? RT also said it took 2 hours for LE to arrive on scene - is it that she went missing at Noon and he searched for her then called 911 and they got there at 2:30pm? IDK
It just doesn't sound right to me but I suppose RT may have simply misspoke due to his state of panic. And, lack of sleep.... :oops:

From the San Bernardino Co Sheriff's Office:

July 18th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle
On July 12, 2019, at 2:30 p.m., Barbara and her husband Robert were hiking in the Mohave desert approximately 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Rd.

From @dbdb11's post:

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019
"...he continued searching for her on his own. by around noon time it was getting terribly hot so he started getting worried and called 911. police arrived like 2 hours later..."

According to this article:
He’s asking people in surrounding areas, including Las Vegas, to be on high alert.
Woman missing from Mojave Desert

Putting up flyers in the Las Vegas area might be a good idea, for a start. Seems he’s just saying via the media to bolo for her in those areas.

Some families are better at mobilizing and taking action. We’ve all seen that in these missing cases. I can’t blame him for not doing anything besides letting authorities do their thing (—if that’s what he’s doing). It’s got to feel overwhelming and surreal.
BBM above:

It's strange, IMO, that the husband of a missing woman is making statements to the media like this, apparently entirely unrelated to what LE is doing in their search and investigation to find BT.

It almost seems as though LE doesn't believe his 'abduction' theory and aren't pursuing it, so as a one man show, he's asking an entire state, including a major metropolitan area with millions of people who live hours away from where she went missing, anyway to be on 'high alert' for her.

Is there a tip line set up yet for people to call into?

Does LE think it's helpful and / or necessary for the entire state of NV to be on 'high alert' looking for BT?

And if they think they see her, they are to do what, start calling what number and what LE?

Does LE have the resources to manage the results of RT's public 'high alert' if people start calling in, or is RT planning to set up a volunteer center?

I understand the urgency, and trying anything and everything to get results, and I hope she is found soon!!!

I still think it's unusual for the spouse of a missing person to make announcements like this to the media, based on a personal theory that appears to be outside the realm of the LE investigation. MOO.

Last edited:
BBM above:

It's strange, IMO, that the husband of a missing woman is making statements to the media like this, apparently entirely unrelated to what LE is doing in their search and investigation for BT.

It's almost seems as though LE doesn't believe his 'abduction' theory and aren't pursuing it, so as a one man show, he's asking an entire state, including a major metropolitan area with millions of people who live hours away from where she went missing, anyway to be on 'high alert' for her.

Does LE think it's helpful and / or necessary for the entire state of NV to be on 'high alert' looking for BT?

And if they think they see her, they are to do what, start calling what number and what LE?

Does LE have the resources to manage the results of RT's public 'high alert' if people start calling in, or is RT planning to set up a volunteer center?

I understand the urgency, and trying anything and everything to get results, and I hope she is found soon!!!

I still think it's unusual for the spouse of a missing person to make announcements like this to the media, based on a personal theory that appears to be outside the realm of the LE investigation. MOO.

It is odd, but we’ve seen it before.

Most recently, we saw in the Rousseau case in Wisconsin. The husband in that one was talking about an abduction from the beginning.

It turned out that his wife and daughter left on their own volition.

BBM above:

It's strange, IMO, that the husband of a missing woman is making statements to the media like this, apparently entirely unrelated to what LE is doing in their search and investigation for BT.

It's almost seems as though LE doesn't believe his 'abduction' theory and aren't pursuing it, so as a one man show, he's asking an entire state, including a major metropolitan area with millions of people who live hours away from where she went missing, anyway to be on 'high alert' for her.

Right, and so far away from where she was last seen.

BBM above:

You know how some people right here on WS are often really quick to pursue a human trafficking angle, even though it's almost never human trafficking? (No offense to those people, I understand many of us having a specific "thing" we tend to focus on...) . That's how 60% of me sees this guy. Something happened he can't explain, and he fills in some gaps in his mind and comes up with an explanation of what could have happened. As in, "well, I was right over there, she's not here, she MUST have been picked up, right?" But only 60%. The other percentage a bit bothered by the specificity of his conjecture. Did he HEAR a vehicle stop? You'd think if they were as close as he describes that he'd hear something. And you'd also think if she were abducted against her will that he would hear her scream. Or something. That's what nags at me for the other 40%. That other 40% is thinking something happened out there and he's trying to explain it away in a way that keeps him free. When they find her dead in the desert with no visible injuries, she won't be able to tell her side of the story.

It’s one of the things that’s bugging me, too. It makes more sense if they were walking in the morning before it got too hot. Is the story changing? Or are we just not getting enough info from LE?

Another point I’d like clarified, did they go on a 2 mile ‘hike’, 2 miles there and 2 miles back - meaning 4 miles total? Did they walk for a mile and turn around, for a total of 2 miles? Or was it a 2 mile loop?
Woman, 69, missing in Mojave with no supplies or cellphone

this one says they became separated at 2:30pm - wish we knew when LE arrived onscene. The hike is another thing - had they stopped for lunch on the way and wanted to walk some off? so much we really don't know for sure IMO. Except where is she?

You know how some people right here on WS are often really quick to pursue a human trafficking angle, even though it's almost never human trafficking? (No offense to those people, I understand many of us having a specific "thing" we tend to focus on...) . That's how 60% of me sees this guy. Something happened he can't explain, and he fills in some gaps in his mind and comes up with an explanation of what could have happened. As in, "well, I was right over there, she's not here, she MUST have been picked up, right?" But only 60%. The other percentage a bit bothered by the specificity of his conjecture. Did he HEAR a vehicle stop? You'd think if they were as close as he describes that he'd hear something. And you'd also think if she were abducted against her will that he would hear her scream. Or something. That's what nags at me for the other 40%. That other 40% is thinking something happened out there and he's trying to explain it away in a way that keeps him free. When they find her dead in the desert with no visible injuries, she won't be able to tell her side of the story.

What you describe, the mind making stuff up to fill in gaps, is very common.

The Brain Fills-In the Gaps - Law Officer

“I told them that my partner was standing behind me to my right when the incident went down. But when they pulled up the CCTV recording, he was way off to my left and in front of me. I felt so stupid. How could I not know where my partner was?” The officer told me. “I mean, it wasn’t critical to the investigation, but I felt like a liar, like I was hiding something. And even though I’ve now watched the incident and have seen for myself where my partner was standing, my memory is still that my partner was behind me and to my right."

BBM above:

Seems to me lots of family members of missing loved ones plead for others to keep watch, no?

Did Mr. Thomas even use the words "high alert"? I haven't seen him use those words, and the article doesn't quote him using those words.

If you watch the video, it's the Las Vegas TV station reporter who says: "He thinks there's a chance she was taken to the Las Vegas area, so he's asking everyone to stay on high alert."

And then what Mr. Thomas says on this video as he is being interviewed is: "I just want my wife back. And if somebody out there has her, which I feel somebody does, please drop her off at a safe place where she can contact us, and that's it."

That doesn't sound like an announcement to have an entire state to be on high alert for her.

Even if he did use "high alert," it could have just been a response to a basic question such from the reporter along the lines of "Do you have anything you'd like to say to area residents or those driving through here?"

Last edited:
It just doesn't sound right to me but I suppose RT may have simply misspoke due to his state of panic. And, lack of sleep.... :oops:

From the San Bernardino Co Sheriff's Office:

July 18th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle
On July 12, 2019, at 2:30 p.m., Barbara and her husband Robert were hiking in the Mohave desert approximately 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Rd.

From @dbdb11's post:

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019
"...he continued searching for her on his own. by around noon time it was getting terribly hot so he started getting worried and called 911. police arrived like 2 hours later..."
Yes, it is a big discrepancy IMO. If it was a morning drive - and stopping around 11:30 for this hike - 30 minutes out for 2 miles - perhaps arriving back before noon and he searches for a bit then calls? I wish we had more info..

I'm having trouble understanding how it's odd that Mr. Thomas would have called his wife's family in Hong Kong where he is brother is apparently critically ill and dying, the reason for his wife's imminent trip there, to let them know what was going on? According to the family members here, he didn't call until a couple days afterward, and that he apologized for not calling sooner, but he was hoping she would be found. I believe her nephew or whoever it is who posted here when referring to the call said "When Robbie finally contacted my family in HK to share this devastating news . . ." so he apparently expected to have the news shared.

Another point I’d like clarified, did they go on a 2 mile ‘hike’, 2 miles there and 2 miles back - meaning 4 miles total? Did they walk for a mile and turn around, for a total of 2 miles? Or was it a 2 mile loop?

Not here to clarify but just to add that I'm a hiker and if I say 2 miles, it would mean total. I'd never give the distance as a one-way distance. We don't need a million answers to this but I am confident in answering on behalf of all hikers, lol... it's total distance.

I think the husbands focus on Vegas adds credibility to his story that he thinks she was taken while crossing the road.

BBM above:

It's strange, IMO, that the husband of a missing woman is making statements to the media like this, apparently entirely unrelated to what LE is doing in their search and investigation to find BT.

It almost seems as though LE doesn't believe his 'abduction' theory and aren't pursuing it, so as a one man show, he's asking an entire state, including a major metropolitan area with millions of people who live hours away from where she went missing, anyway to be on 'high alert' for her.

I still think it's unusual for the spouse of a missing person to make announcements like this to the media, based on a personal theory that appears to be outside the realm of the LE investigation. MOO.[/QUOTE

Last edited:
Woman, 69, missing in Mojave with no supplies or cellphone

this one says they became separated at 2:30pm - wish we knew when LE arrived onscene. The hike is another thing - had they stopped for lunch on the way and wanted to walk some off? so much we really don't know for sure IMO. Except where is she?

BBM:

911 Recordings & Transcripts-State Statutes | Freedom Forum Institute

Looks like 911 calls in California are considered public records available under the California Public Records Act. I hope some MSM outlets request and publish the info from the 911 call RT made. That would provide both time of his call and the time LE arrived on scene.

JMO.

BBM above:

Eh, he's gone rogue. I'm sure being idle and waiting for news from LE is driving him crazy. He's desperate. His theory does not make sense to me but he's not clear headed right now, IMO. An abduction theory is giving him hope because the alternative he's not ready to face right now.

He's not speaking from a place of authority, because he doesn't have it but he is a panicked husband.

At some point, LE and probably along with the a SAR Command Lead, will sit him down and tell him they are moving into a recovery mission, based on many factors. They will continue to search but then the official search will be suspended until new and credible information comes forward, then they will search again. It's heartbreaking when it gets to that point but I don't believe they are there yet and will continue to search. They must have credible information to believe that was her PLS.

BBM:

911 Recordings & Transcripts-State Statutes | Freedom Forum Institute

Looks like 911 calls in California are considered public records available under the California Public Records Act. I hope some MSM outlets request and publish the info from the 911 call RT made. That would provide both time of his call and the time LE arrived on scene.

JMO.
Thank you for this research - I guess we wait until MSM makes a request? Although at this point I'm not sure what difference it makes. Other than confirming what he has said in his interviews, perhaps? JMO

I've only seen two videos of Mr. Thomas being interviewed, so if anyone has any video of Mr. Thomas saying that he wants people in Las Vegas to look for her or that he even thinks that she's in Las Vegas, I'd appreciate you sending me a link - thanks!.

As of now, the only person whom I've heard mentioning Las Vegas is a Las Vegas news reporter who said he thinks there's a chance she was taken to Las Vegas. If that's the case, here's how it likely went:

Las Vegas TV News Reporter: What do you think happened?
Thomas: I think she was taken (crossing the street, bikini, beer).
Las Vegas TV News Reporter: Where do you think she may have been taken?
Thomas: I have no idea.
Las Vegas TV News Reporter: Do you think there's a chance she was taken to Las Vegas?
Thomas: Yeah, sure, she could be anywhere. I just want my wife back . . .

Local news 101 is to tie the story back to your locale to get viewers intrigued.

Last edited:
Ok. If they hiked out together, why didn't they have the key with them, in a pocket or the pack? Why leave it under a rock?

Something I learned recently from the missing young woman on Maui who had gone for a run, is that it is apparently quite a common practice for runners and surfers to leave their keys on top of their tire. I guess they don’t want the jingling around in a pocket, or to risk losing it.

So, maybe leaving the key under a rock is common for rv-ers, or at least for them.

Things just don't add up for me on a likely scenario for what could have happened to BT under these circumstances, and I keep getting thrown by things her husband says that seem inappropriate to me. For example, he is quoted as saying this in MSM interview:

Someone picked her up because she was wearing a bikini,” Thomas said, KCAL reported. “She had a beer in her hand and she had to cross that road."
https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article232832967.html

What the heck kind of reasoning is that? He sounds so certain, too, no maybes or possiblys included in his theorizing out loud.

He's saying verbatim here, that what she was wearing at the time she went missing, and the type of beverage she was drinking, is why she was abducted!

He claims with great certainty as well that "she had to cross that road" and that is when someone driving by spotted her and abducted her. Well, if she was out of his sight around a corner as he said, between where he last saw her and their RV was parked, how does he know she even got to the road, no less crossed it and got abducted from it?

MOO

I've only seen two videos of Mr. Thomas being interviewed, so if anyone has any video of Mr. Thomas saying that he wants people in Las Vegas to look for her or that he even thinks that she's in Las Vegas, I'd appreciate you sending me a link - thanks!.

As of now, the only person whom I've heard mentioning Las Vegas is a Las Vegas news reporter who said he thinks there's a chance she was taken to Las Vegas. If that's the case, here's how it likely went:

Las Vegas TV News Reporter: What do you think happened?
Thomas: I think she was taken (crossing the street, bikini, beer).
Las Vegas TV News Reporter: Where do you think she may have been taken?
Thomas: I have no idea.
Las Vegas TV News Reporter: Do you think there's a chance she was taken to Las Vegas?
Thomas: Yeah, sure, she could be anywhere. I just want my wife back . . .

Local news 101 is to tie the story back to your locale to get viewers intrigued.
Woman Goes Missing Without Supplies in Mojave Desert Amid High Temperatures
snipped
He said she may be in the Las Vegas area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3