CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things just don't add up for me on a likely scenario for what could have happened to BT under these circumstances, and I keep getting thrown by things her husband says that seem inappropriate to me. For example, he is quoted as saying this in MSM interview:

Someone picked her up because she was wearing a bikini,” Thomas said, KCAL reported. “She had a beer in her hand and she had to cross that road."
https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article232832967.html

What the heck kind of reasoning is that? He sounds so certain, too, no maybes or possiblys included in his theorizing out loud.

He's saying verbatim here, that what she was wearing at the time she went missing, and the type of beverage she was drinking, is why she was abducted!

He claims with great certainty as well that "she had to cross that road" and that is when someone driving by spotted her and abducted her. Well, if she was out of his sight around a corner as he said, between where he last saw her and their RV was parked, how does he know she even got to the road, no less crossed it and got abducted from it?

MOO

My feeling is that he wants to believe that she's still alive, and honestly the only possibility for that at this point would be if she were picked up by someone. I see it as a coping mechanism. The kind of magical thinking that a lot of people do when they've lost someone close to them.

From the same link:

KTNV Action News @KTNV

MISSING PERSON : Authorities are searching for a missing 69-year-old woman who was last seen in the Mojave Desert on Friday.

Her husband says if anyone picked her up, he won’t press charges.

He just wants her home safe.@leahpezzetti reports >> http://bit.ly/2LWnkOW

bbm - this has bothered me because it is not really his place to "not press charges" right? I mean how can he make that promise? It's in the hands of LE - unless she has gone willingly then it's a whole nother story IMO.

BBM:

911 Recordings & Transcripts-State Statutes | Freedom Forum Institute

Looks like 911 calls in California are considered public records available under the California Public Records Act. I hope some MSM outlets request and publish the info from the 911 call RT made. That would provide both time of his call and the time LE arrived on scene.

JMO.
I looked for it on the dispatch log and couldn't find it. Do I have the wrong log or am I blind? Dispatch Call Log – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department

ETA: There's two entries for a missing person on 7/13 about 3 p.m. but not on the 12th.

From the same link:

KTNV Action News @KTNV

MISSING PERSON : Authorities are searching for a missing 69-year-old woman who was last seen in the Mojave Desert on Friday.

Her husband says if anyone picked her up, he won’t press charges.

He just wants her home safe.@leahpezzetti reports >> http://bit.ly/2LWnkOW

bbm - this has bothered me because it is not really his place to "not press charges" right? I mean how can he make that promise? It's in the hands of LE - unless she has gone willingly then it's a whole nother story IMO.
I don't think that's odd, really. I've seen some stranger statements made by people in cases here and I just assume they know little about how LE or the court system operates. MOO

Something I learned recently from the missing young woman on Maui who had gone for a run, is that it is apparently quite a common practice for runners and surfers to leave their keys on top of their tire. I guess they don’t want the jingling around in a pocket, or to risk losing it.

So, maybe leaving the key under a rock is common for rv-ers, or at least for them.

People are so different. I never go anywhere...even with my husband...without my own keys and ID. And when we were full-time RVers 2003-2011 I made an effort to print a card for each of our wallets with each other’s contact info and filled in where our RV was parked each night. That way if one of us was out and about alone and was hit by a car or something, LE could easily contact the other spouse. Call me obsessive, but when you’re wandering around the U.S., anything can happen. Of course, none of my precautions would have helped in Barbara’s situation.

I looked for it on the dispatch log and couldn't find it. Do I have the wrong log or am I blind? Dispatch Call Log – San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department

ETA: There's two entries for a missing person on 7/13 about 3 p.m. but not on the 12th.
The info has been coming from the Colorado River station. If you look under them on the dispatch call log you linked to, you will find:
7/12/2019 3:26:24 PM CR CR191930018 CRR1900230 MISPER NAT 936** HIDDEN HILLS RD, KEL

I'm beyond surprised.

I'm stunned.

Flabbergasted, even.

RT can give interviews to strange reporters but he can't be bothered to call BT's SON to inform him that his mother has gone missing in the Mohave desert????

Nah.

This ain't right.

JMO.

Thanks. I thought it was just me being so worked up about the son not being one of the first few called. Unless there was a total estrangement there, IMO there is no excuse - except possibly guilt? And I sincerely hope that’s not the case here. Not again. Please.

But what if she WAS abducted from the road, or somewhere near the camper?

If they’re not finding her by now, why not start looking in the areas where the road (both ways) would go?

Have they stopped cars and questioned people?

Actually, when I was first reading about this, and they mentioned she had to cross a road, that was exactly where my mind went. Abduction.

Also, when I hear him say she was wearing a bikini and had a beer, my thoughts are that he’s saying she could be mistaken for someone much younger, especially in he sun, with sunglasses and hat.

Was she intoxicated? Just a bit maybe? Swaying? If so, would be a much more attractive and easier target for someone with bad intentions.

OR .... she was never there.

I may be way off .... who knows.

MOO JMO

I don't think that's odd, really. I've seen some stranger statements made by people in cases here and I just assume they know little about how LE or the court system operates. MOO

Some of his statements almost strike me as things you might hear someone in a TV show or movie say. "No questions asked," for example. I agree with someone up thread who said he's gone a bit rogue. I'm leaning towards him being innocent and struggling to figure out what to say and do. I think his focus on her being in a bikini is that he finds her attractive and figures some creep driving down the road saw her and thought the same. We know that that's not a super likely scenario (not that she's not attractive, just that stuff like that doesn't happen as often as some people tend to think). I just think he gets a lot of his current thinking from crime dramas.

Or just stating that they would be okay with "no questions asked" in exchange for a safe return.

I don't read much more into that particular statement.

jmo

Thanks. I thought it was just me being so worked up about the son not being one of the first few called. Unless there was a total estrangement there, IMO there is no excuse - except possibly guilt? And I sincerely hope that’s not the case here. Not again. Please.

Has the son been interviewed?

Last edited:
Some of his statements almost strike me as things you might hear someone in a TV show or movie say. "No questions asked," for example. I agree with someone up thread who said he's gone a bit rogue. I'm leaning towards him being innocent and struggling to figure out what to say and do. I think his focus on her being in a bikini is that he finds her attractive and figures some creep driving down the road saw her and thought the same. We know that that's not a super likely scenario (not that she's not attractive, just that stuff like that doesn't happen as often as some people tend to think). I just think he gets a lot of his current thinking from crime dramas.
Or perhaps he is super savvy and realizes a woman in a bikini last seen holding a cold brew while hiking catches media interest.
What a story

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads