CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve missed a few pages in the middle. So ignore if covered and I’ve missed it.

Did Barbara happen to have ever worked in Vegas? Just trying to figure out why he mentioned that. Then I stop and remember sometimes older people just communicate a bit differently than we do.

Are any of the locations of campsites nearby ones that you pay a hook up fee for? I wonder if LE has connected with those campers just to see if they saw anything unusual or even saw Barbara ever?

Wonder too if they gassed up on the way and she would be on video there?

Attempting to summarize what has been reported so far..

Search underway for lost hiker in Mojave Desert
2:30pm reported time - black bikini, red hat, boots/socks. No supplies or cellphones - she walked ahead when he stopped to take a picture.
69-year-old Arizona woman missing after hiking in Mojave Desert
They were about 20 miles north of Interstate 40, east of Kelbaker Road.

Thomas was last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap, and tan hiking boots.
The search for 69-year-old Barbara Thomas is continuing In the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, Az.
5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes
Last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

UPDATE #2:
The search is moving into the third day for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker / Hidden Hills near the I-40. The search involves numerous Search & Rescue members, deputies, K9’s, Sheriff’s Aviation(helicopter) and Park Rangers.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures today hovered around 104 degrees.

Hiker Wearing Bikini Disappears in Southern California's Sweltering Mojave Desert

Bikini-Clad 69-Year-Old Woman Missing After Hiking in Mojave Desert Amid Heatwave

Arizona woman missing in California's Mojave Desert

Woman, 69, missing in Mojave with no supplies or cellphone and wearing only a bikini
Cat L. Smith
First report of shorts

upload_2019-7-16_1-26-9-png.193628

Woman missing from Mojave Desert

Husband thinks she was taken (first report of this that I have found)

Search for woman, 69, missing in Mojave Desert after separated from husband while hiking in bikini | Daily Mail Online
Bikini-clad woman, 69, reported missing after hiking in Mojave Desert in California amid heatwave
Still searching Tuesday
#100 - page 5- family member (unverified)
#124 - page 7 - another post by family member as above
#134-136
#546 - page 28

69-year-old bikini-clad woman missing in Mojave Desert – San Bernardino Sun
Woman Goes Missing Without Supplies in Mojave Desert Amid High Temperatures
Thomas’ husband told KTNV that they took their trailer to the desert for the weekend. They were close to the RV when Robert stopped to take a picture.

“By the time I took the picture she was continuing on because she wanted to get to the RV,” he said. “And she rounded the corner and I lost sight of her.”

He suspects something happened when she crossed a highway. “My feeling is that she was picked up because she had to cross a highway. She was wearing a bikini and she had a beer in her hand.”

He said she may be in the Las Vegas area.

Search continues for missing Bullhead City woman
Search for bikini-clad woman in Mojave Desert expands with off-road vehicles

Desert Mines & Mills
July 16
July 16th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
Husband takes a lie detector test

San Bernardino County Sheriff on Twitter
Volunteers and off-road vehicles join hunt for bikini-clad 69-year-old 'abducted' in Mojave Desert | Daily Mail Online

July 17th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

Arizona Woman, 69, Missing for 5 Days in the Mojave Desert After Going Hiking with Husband
Roadside Camping - Mojave National Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Map:
https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/upload/MOJAmap1.pdf
Bumping for new sleuthers

How far is Vegas from there? The road she crossed goes right there?
I've driven through I40 and I15 about a dozen times each. There isn't much out there.

I-15 can be busy on Fridays with LA/OC traffic headed to LV.

I-40 is generally less busy, possibly more truckers.

Kelbaker Road would be a very minimally used road. It's not a straight shot to Vegas, you would have to connect with I-15 first and once on I-15 you would have a 90 minute drive to Las Vegas. Los Angeles isn't much further in the opposite direction.

SLIGHTLY O/T - but did you know that you can see the traffic flow on Kelbaker Rd on Google Maps. I'm guessing the "red" traffic flow at one of the turnouts is probably either where the command post is set up or where the camper was. If it is where the camper was, then they had to have been out walking on the east side of Kelbaker for her to need to cross the road to return to the trailer.

I’ve missed a few pages in the middle. So ignore if covered and I’ve missed it.

Did Barbara happen to have ever worked in Vegas? Just trying to figure out why he mentioned that. Then I stop and remember sometimes older people just communicate a bit differently than we do.

Are any of the locations of campsites nearby ones that you pay a hook up fee for? I wonder if LE has connected with those campers just to see if they saw anything unusual or even saw Barbara ever?

Wonder too if they gassed up on the way and she would be on video there?
The couple used to live in Henderson but currently live in Bullhead City, Arizona.

If they lived in Henderson, she could have worked in Vegas. Very few personal details have been mentioned, kind of odd isn't it?

The couple used to live in Henderson but currently live in Bullhead City, Arizona.

If they lived in Henderson, she could have worked in Vegas. Very few personal details have been mentioned, kind of odd isn't it?

As long as LE is treating this disappearance as Barbara just got lost in the desert, there's no need for us to really know any personal details I guess.

As much as I want to know more, my inquisitiveness stems from the fact that I'm not sure Barbara was ever in the desert to begin with. Thus, I want to know more about her life.

At this point, they keep searching, so they must know something we don't (obviously). I have to believe that they think she's out there somewhere.

I just don't know what to think anymore.

MOO

As long as LE is treating this disappearance as Barbara just got lost in the desert, there's no need for us to really know any personal details I guess.

As much as I want to know more, my inquisitiveness stems from the fact that I'm not sure Barbara was ever in the desert to begin with. Thus, I want to know more about her life.

At this point, they keep searching, so they must know something we don't (obviously). I have to believe that they think she's out there somewhere.

I just don't know what to think anymore.

MOO
I have no doubt there is a missing person's investigation parallel to the SAR efforts. MOO

Just to check off this box and save all the search resources, the first thing I'd do is use luminal on the family vehicles; see if anything comes up.
It's just a prudent "check that off" measure.

Amateur opinion and speculation
Hmmmm. Don’t you need some probable cause documents or a court order to start throwing luminal around personal property?

Just to check off this box and save all the search resources, the first thing I'd do is use luminal on the family vehicles; see if anything comes up.
It's just a prudent "check that off" measure.

Amateur opinion and speculation
In that vein. I read somewhere LE told RT to go home. He didn't mention any searches of the truck or trailer. Surely though they did some sort of forensic search right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Binx005