CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any water sources anywhere? Or shade? I'd think once she realized she was lost, she try to find both. And if she's familiar with the area, then wouldn't she know where to seek them? For that matter, wouldn't she remember how to get back to her trailer?

Has anyone been able to find any social media accounts for her?

Sorry, I’m also getting confused with the location posts. Do we know the specific location of where she was walking to and from or is it still unclear?
Unfortunately we don’t know the exact location. Initial reports were just that it was 20 miles north of Rt-40 and east of Kelbaker Road. So we are speculating that it’s somewhere near Kelso.

Barbara sounds like my favorite aunt. What a fun lady!

Does it appear the police have cleared Robbie now?

Thank you to everyone on here hoping, helping and sharing info.

I am Barbara's nephew, and though i don't have much to add to what you guys have gathered i can share that Barb and Robbie were regular and avid campers. besides the rv they also regularly camp on their day boat on the Colorado river. They are both outdoorsy people, and regularly traversed the desert. she collected rocks for their rock garden and was fond of gnarly wood pieces. they both also liked bottle hunting and finding leftover prospector knickknacks, flints etc. lots of interesting items they'd found and collected from their desert walks...

i went on the river with them once, and they also took our family out in the desert when we were kids, maybe fifteen years back. I can confirm they're from Bullhead, though they often spend summers in Canada, where I believe Robbie's family live. They were all about the desert, and I'm not sure they would have even been in an actual campground or official campsite. They spent time outdoors like that all the time. And bikini, beer and hiking boots is accurate. That's her style.

I'm shocked Robbie would have let her get ahead of him, but just indicates to me how well they both must have known the area. I heard from my father (Barbara's brother) that after failing to find her at the RV Rob began searching the area, including a nearby cave they both knew about, incase she'd gone there to escape the heat. So this is a place they camped and explored regularly... All my info is coming second and even third hand, or from the same news sources you guys are seeing. I've actually just learned about this today, as I'm travelling at the moment.

My father's health is failing and Barbara was literally flying to visit us in Hong Kong next week. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but understandably my father was not immediately notified of the severity of the situation, as his own situation is dire. When Robbie finally contacted my family in HK to share this devastating news, my father's wife and my sister report the story he told was almost unbelievable. Robbie also reported he'd been detained for most of a day as a suspect.

Just last week I received voice messages from Barb concerning my father's condition and whether or not she should push her trip forward. I've had trouble contacting her, but this was no surprise to us as her and Robbie are often comfortably beyond cellphone service. I am not the most easy to reach either, so our calls kept missing...

I am grateful this community has jumped on this, and frankly am still in shock. Feeling a bit helpless and can only hope and pray.

I've not been a very active part of Barb or Robbies lives these past decades, or I would have more details to share, but I can say these two were no strangers to the rocky hills around Arizona/Nevada. They were seasoned enough to feel casual in the hills and the heat, and the news reports I've read aren't making it sound that way.

Thank you all again for your concern and your efforts to dig into this.

Just off the phone with Robbie's family. At this point they are just trying to get the word as far and wide as possible so I'll keep sharing here.

I am not familiar with the area, however it is confirmed they went camping in this location very frequently, and other members of Robs family have also been with them to this location several times.

It is off of Kelbaker road (not any officially sanctioned/commercial campsite), and I am told it is quite barren (flatland?), and would be very hard to lose track of someone, or for someone to lose track of their own bearings-- especially someone familiar with the surroundings.

Having been to this area I can say that the one thing that strikes you is that you can see everything. There are very sparse trees and low vegetation.

This, combined with proximity to a relatively busy road is why Rob suspects abduction. I was told the reason he thinks Vegas is because the 40 highway goes directly to Vegas? again am not familiar with the area personally, just relaying what I was told.

To expand on why it was 'unbelievable', I imagine my family in HK simply couldn't believe what they were hearing, as we were literally finalising booking her accommodations for her visit days ago.

this is not the type of news any one is prepared to receive, let alone deliver, and Robbie's phone call to my dad and his wife must've been an extremely difficult call to make and to hear.

To be honest, watching the news reports, the bikini/beer and then the jump to assuming abduction and Vegas as a destination is difficult to make sense of out of context. I also felt the Vegas assumption was odd on Rob's part, but as far as I know him, he isn't the type to make baseless assumptions.

what other conclusion will a mind deduce that makes any sense but abduction. I would take into account that the individual who is not missing is emotionally traumatized and facing a horrific scenario - it is difficult to analyze their accounting of the situation.

Re: social media, Barb's not a tech saavy 69 year old, so social media probably won't turn up much. Also likely why she didn't have her phone on her. I assume they were out there to get away from the things like that... As I mentioned, no one on our end thought twice about her being difficult to reach.

Robbie and his family are distraught to say the least, and doing all they can to keep spreading the word...

once again, appreciate all the kind thoughts and the fact all of you are taking the time.

Any updates I get I will share.

Were they following a path? When we camped in a desert area, it was flat with very little brush and rocky - but with no hills or mountains do we could easily see the camper from a distance. Would the road they are calling the highway on a higher raised elevation?
What if she didn’t have a key to the camper to get in?
key to the camper was beneath a nearby rock, both Rob and Barb knew where it was. It being untouched was Robs first sign that something was amiss.

I hope LE has alerted other officers along the routes going to Las Vegas.

ETA: Also understand about Barb not having a cell phone. Many women in her age group don't use them. There's another case some of us have followed here recently of a missing 70 yo woman who didn't use a cell phone. It's something I wish women would reconsider. It can be a lifesaving tool if you're ever in trouble, lost, injured, etc.

Last edited:
Noting:
  1. Barbara and RT drove their camper to the area Friday then went on a short, two-mile hike.
  2. Robert said they were almost back to the trailer when he stopped to take a picture while Barbara continued on. He said that’s the last time he saw her.
  3. He got to the trailer and saw that it was still locked and Barbara was nowhere to be found.
  4. After searching the area and calling for her, he called 911.
  5. Robert believes she might have been picked up.
  6. Their trailer was parked near a road, and he thinks someone might have take Barbara while she was crossing the road.
Nope, sorry...I don't believe she could get a 1/2 mile ahead while he was snapping one photo. MOO

Just off the phone with Robbie's family. At this point they are just trying to get the word as far and wide as possible so I'll keep sharing here.

I am not familiar with the area, however it is confirmed they went camping in this location very frequently, and other members of Robs family have also been with them to this location several times.

It is off of Kelbaker road (not any officially sanctioned/commercial campsite), and I am told it is quite barren (flatland?), and would be very hard to lose track of someone, or for someone to lose track of their own bearings-- especially someone familiar with the surroundings.

This, combined with proximity to a relatively busy road is why Rob suspects abduction. I was told the reason he thinks Vegas is because the 40 highway goes directly to Vegas? again am not familiar with the area personally, just relaying what I was told.

To expand on why it was 'unbelievable', I imagine my family in HK simply couldn't believe what they were hearing, as we were literally finalising booking her accommodations for her visit days ago.

this is not the type of news any one is prepared to receive, let alone deliver, and Robbie's phone call to my dad and his wife must've been an extremely difficult call to make and to hear.

To be honest, watching the news reports, the bikini/beer and then the jump to assuming abduction and Vegas as a destination is difficult to make sense of out of context. I also felt the Vegas assumption was odd on Rob's part, but as far as I know him, he isn't the type to make baseless assumptions.

Re: social media, Barb's not a tech saavy 69 year old, so social media probably won't turn up much. Also likely why she didn't have her phone on her. I assume they were out there to get away from the things like that... As I mentioned, no one on our end thought twice about her being difficult to reach.

Robbie and his family are distraught to say the least, and doing all they can to keep spreading the word...

once again, appreciate all the kind thoughts and the fact all of you are taking the time.

Any updates I get I will share.

Thanks for the updates, dbdb!
I can't imagine how difficult this is for everyone in the family.
Hopefully we'll hear news soon about Barb being found safe!

Thank you @dbdb11 for the information and updates. I am so sorry to hear about all the things your family is experiencing with Barb’s disappearance and your father’s health. Keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.

Please know that we are all here to help find Barb.

Noting:
  1. Barbara and RT drove their camper to the area Friday then went on a short, two-mile hike.
  2. Robert said they were almost back to the trailer when he stopped to take a picture while Barbara continued on. He said that’s the last time he saw her.
  3. He got to the trailer and saw that it was still locked and Barbara was nowhere to be found.
  4. After searching the area and calling for her, he called 911.
  5. Robert believes she might have been picked up.
  6. Their trailer was parked near a road, and he thinks someone might have take Barbara while she was crossing the road.
Nope, sorry...I don't believe she could get a 1/2 mile ahead while he was snapping one photo. MOO
I too hope to hear a better explanation of what happened between the photo and Rob's return to the RV.

Thank you to everyone on here hoping, helping and sharing info.

I am Barbara's nephew, and though i don't have much to add to what you guys have gathered i can share that Barb and Robbie were regular and avid campers. besides the rv they also regularly camp on their day boat on the Colorado river. They are both outdoorsy people, and regularly traversed the desert. she collected rocks for their rock garden and was fond of gnarly wood pieces. they both also liked bottle hunting and finding leftover prospector knickknacks, flints etc. lots of interesting items they'd found and collected from their desert walks...

i went on the river with them once, and they also took our family out in the desert when we were kids, maybe fifteen years back. I can confirm they're from Bullhead, though they often spend summers in Canada, where I believe Robbie's family live. They were all about the desert, and I'm not sure they would have even been in an actual campground or official campsite. They spent time outdoors like that all the time. And bikini, beer and hiking boots is accurate. That's her style.

I'm shocked Robbie would have let her get ahead of him, but just indicates to me how well they both must have known the area. I heard from my father (Barbara's brother) that after failing to find her at the RV Rob began searching the area, including a nearby cave they both knew about, incase she'd gone there to escape the heat. So this is a place they camped and explored regularly... All my info is coming second and even third hand, or from the same news sources you guys are seeing. I've actually just learned about this today, as I'm travelling at the moment.

My father's health is failing and Barbara was literally flying to visit us in Hong Kong next week. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but understandably my father was not immediately notified of the severity of the situation, as his own situation is dire. When Robbie finally contacted my family in HK to share this devastating news, my father's wife and my sister report the story he told was almost unbelievable. Robbie also reported he'd been detained for most of a day as a suspect.

Just last week I received voice messages from Barb concerning my father's condition and whether or not she should push her trip forward. I've had trouble contacting her, but this was no surprise to us as her and Robbie are often comfortably beyond cellphone service. I am not the most easy to reach either, so our calls kept missing...

I am grateful this community has jumped on this, and frankly am still in shock. Feeling a bit helpless and can only hope and pray.

I've not been a very active part of Barb or Robbies lives these past decades, or I would have more details to share, but I can say these two were no strangers to the rocky hills around Arizona/Nevada. They were seasoned enough to feel casual in the hills and the heat, and the news reports I've read aren't making it sound that way.

Thank you all again for your concern and your efforts to dig into this.
Welcome, dbdb11. My heart goes out to you as you deal with your father's health and now this. Rest assured that we are hoping and praying right along with you.

I would be interested in hearing more about why your father's wife and your sister thought his story sounded unbelievable and anything you can tell us about him being detained. If you're not comfortable sharing those details however, I completely understand.

Let this be the day that Barbara is found! MOO

In the KTNV News video it said that they had gone on a short hike and were almost back to the trailer. Bob's description of what happened, in his own words, was that he stopped to take a picture and Barbara continued on toward the RV. Right after he turned around she "rounded a corner and I lost sight of her".

He said his feeling is that she was picked up. "She had to cross a highway. She was wearing a bikini. She had a beer in her hand." How is the beer relevant to her getting picked up?

Woman missing from Mojave Desert

They had the dogs out and presumably they didn't find a trace of her. This would lend support to the 'picked up' scenario, or to the scenario that she didn't make it to the road. Just speculation on my part.

One thing that surprises me is that Bob feels so strongly that she was taken to Las Vegas and is being held there. What would be the motive in that?
If he lost sight of her right after he turned around, how did he know she was 1/2 mile ahead? And yes, a beer had what to do with it? :confused: MOO

Well, assuming he has a digital camera or was using a phone, they should have been able to gather some useful info from the photo(s). If it was a phone, it may have had the exact GPS coordinates of where he was when she headed back to camp and showed his route back, so they’ll have a more accurate path to follow. If it’s a digital camera, they should be able to pinpoint the area by the photos as well as the time the photos were taken, to help narrow down the time frame in which she went missing.

Hopefully it will help somehow.
When I called Barb's cell Robbie wasn't available as he was going through the photos etc with case detectives. They should've been through all that days ago IMO. I really hope they have someone competent who can pull the meta data etc. off of whatever devices they had with them.

When was Barb’s flight next week? Did Robbie’s family know they were going camping?
I’m concerned Barb was distracted, perhaps she accepted a ride into the closest town? I wonder how busy that stretch of road is at that time of day.

I would be interested in hearing more about why your father's wife and your sister thought his story sounded unbelievable and anything you can tell us about him being detained. If you're not comfortable sharing those details however, I completely understand.
As I'm not with my family in HK at the moment, and haven't been able to speak to Robbie directly, I'm also in the dark and very reluctant to throw my speculation in on what could be a bit of Chinese whispers.

dbdb11, thank you for being here and sharing what you know about your aunt’s case. She sounds like a cool person (a bikini at 69! I’m older, too, and wish I had the bod—and confidence—to wear one, lol). It is my hope we can help in some way by perhaps giving ideas on what may have happened to her, to help locate her.

You’ve answered the question some wondered about regarding the camper’s key, but is it known if her beer bottle or can was found? If she was abducted, she may have dropped it, or thrown it at her attacker. Her hat would have come off her head, too, one would think.

As I'm not with my family in HK at the moment, and haven't been able to speak to Robbie directly, I'm also in the dark and very reluctant to throw my speculation in on what could be a bit of Chinese whispers.

Welcome to WS. Sorry it's under such stressful circumstances. It might be a good idea if you become verified as an insider. What that means is you can post insider information without having to provide an MSM (mainstream media) or LE (law enforcement) link. To be verified as a case insider, this is the link:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member