CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Maps

The circular roadway to the southwest side of Kelbaker RD looks like a trailer encampment like a KOA park to me. That might be where they were staying. If so they had to have hiked to the northeast in order for them to have crossed the "freeway." That is right by the Kelso Depot Visitor Center.

Thank you to everyone on here hoping, helping and sharing info.

I am Barbara's nephew, and though i don't have much to add to what you guys have gathered i can share that Barb and Robbie were regular and avid campers. besides the rv they also regularly camp on their day boat on the Colorado river. They are both outdoorsy people, and regularly traversed the desert. she collected rocks for their rock garden and was fond of gnarly wood pieces. they both also liked bottle hunting and finding leftover prospector knickknacks, flints etc. lots of interesting items they'd found and collected from their desert walks...

i went on the river with them once, and they also took our family out in the desert when we were kids, maybe fifteen years back. I can confirm they're from Bullhead, though they often spend summers in Canada, where I believe Robbie's family live. They were all about the desert, and I'm not sure they would have even been in an actual campground or official campsite. They spent time outdoors like that all the time. And bikini, beer and hiking boots is accurate. That's her style.

I'm shocked Robbie would have let her get ahead of him, but just indicates to me how well they both must have known the area. I heard from my father (Barbara's brother) that after failing to find her at the RV Rob began searching the area, including a nearby cave they both knew about, incase she'd gone there to escape the heat. So this is a place they camped and explored regularly... All my info is coming second and even third hand, or from the same news sources you guys are seeing. I've actually just learned about this today, as I'm travelling at the moment.

My father's health is failing and Barbara was literally flying to visit us in Hong Kong next week. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but understandably my father was not immediately notified of the severity of the situation, as his own situation is dire. When Robbie finally contacted my family in HK to share this devastating news, my father's wife and my sister report the story he told was almost unbelievable. Robbie also reported he'd been detained for most of a day as a suspect.

Just last week I received voice messages from Barb concerning my father's condition and whether or not she should push her trip forward. I've had trouble contacting her, but this was no surprise to us as her and Robbie are often comfortably beyond cellphone service. I am not the most easy to reach either, so our calls kept missing...

I am grateful this community has jumped on this, and frankly am still in shock. Feeling a bit helpless and can only hope and pray.

I've not been a very active part of Barb or Robbies lives these past decades, or I would have more details to share, but I can say these two were no strangers to the rocky hills around Arizona/Nevada. They were seasoned enough to feel casual in the hills and the heat, and the news reports I've read aren't making it sound that way.

Thank you all again for your concern and your efforts to dig into this.
Welcome to Websleuths - we are all rooting for Barbara to be found safely.

Welcome dbdb11! Thanks for sharing your insights. Sending you and your family positive thoughts and prayers.

Barbara sounds like someone I’d be good friends with if we ever had the chance to meet.

I am Barbara's nephew, and though i don't have much to add to what you guys have gathered i can share that Barb and Robbie were regular and avid campers. besides the rv they also regularly camp on their day boat on the Colorado river. They are both outdoorsy people, and regularly traversed the desert. she collected rocks for their rock garden and was fond of gnarly wood pieces. they both also liked bottle hunting and finding leftover prospector knickknacks, flints etc. lots of interesting items they'd found and collected from their desert walks...

i went on the river with them once, and they also took our family out in the desert when we were kids, maybe fifteen years back. I can confirm they're from Bullhead, though they often spend summers in Canada, where I believe Robbie's family live. They were all about the desert, and I'm not sure they would have even been in an actual campground or official campsite. They spent time outdoors like that all the time. And bikini, beer and hiking boots is accurate. That's her style.

I'm shocked Robbie would have let her get ahead of him, but just indicates to me how well they both must have known the area. I heard from my father (Barbara's brother) that after failing to find her at the RV Rob began searching the area, including a nearby cave they both knew about, incase she'd gone there to escape the heat. So this is a place they camped and explored regularly... All my info is coming second and even third hand, or from the same news sources you guys are seeing. I've actually just learned about this today, as I'm travelling at the moment.

My father's health is failing and Barbara was literally flying to visit us in Hong Kong next week. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but understandably my father was not immediately notified of the severity of the situation, as his own situation is dire. When Robbie finally contacted my family in HK to share this devastating news, my father's wife and my sister report the story he told was almost unbelievable. Robbie also reported he'd been detained for most of a day as a suspect.

Just last week I received voice messages from Barb concerning my father's condition and whether or not she should push her trip forward. I've had trouble contacting her, but this was no surprise to us as her and Robbie are often comfortably beyond cellphone service. I am not the most easy to reach either, so our calls kept missing...

I am grateful this community has jumped on this, and frankly am still in shock. Feeling a bit helpless and can only hope and pray.

I've not been a very active part of Barb or Robbies lives these past decades, or I would have more details to share, but I can say these two were no strangers to the rocky hills around Arizona/Nevada. They were seasoned enough to feel casual in the hills and the heat, and the news reports I've read aren't making it sound that way.

So sorry to hear everything that your family is dealing with!

Google Maps

The circular roadway to the southwest side of Kelbaker RD looks like a trailer encampment like a KOA park to me. That might be where they were staying. If so they had to have hiked to the northeast in order for them to have crossed the "freeway." That is right by the Kelso Depot Visitor Center.
I don’t think that’s a campground. From street view, the entrance road to the circle is blocked by a gate. There’s a sign on the gate, but I can’t read it. I’m wondering if it has something to do with the railroad depot or local utilities.

It is reasonable that they would be parked somewhere near Kelso though.

upload_2019-7-16_13-59-53.jpeg

In the KTNV News video it said that they had gone on a short hike and were almost back to the trailer. Bob's description of what happened, in his own words, was that he stopped to take a picture and Barbara continued on toward the RV. Right after he turned around she "rounded a corner and I lost sight of her".

He said his feeling is that she was picked up. "She had to cross a highway. She was wearing a bikini. She had a beer in her hand." How is the beer relevant to her getting picked up?

Woman missing from Mojave Desert

They had the dogs out and presumably they didn't find a trace of her. This would lend support to the 'picked up' scenario, or to the scenario that she didn't make it to the road. Just speculation on my part.

One thing that surprises me is that Bob feels so strongly that she was taken to Las Vegas and is being held there. What would be the motive in that?

I don’t think that’s a campground. From street view, the entrance road to the circle is blocked by a gate. There’s a sign on the gate, but I can’t read it. I’m wondering if it has something to do with the railroad depot or local utilities.

It is reasonable that they would be parked somewhere near Kelso though.

View attachment 193681

Definitely possible that it isn't a park, but it did look like one from above. It is the only thing I saw on Google Maps that looked like a place designed for travel trailers to set up shop. I did not see any corners there that would cause Mr. T to lose sight of Mrs. T though. I feel that we don't have enough information to build a thorough hypothesis.

If you are with another individual and you turn your back for a few moments and that other individual seemingly disappears, your first inclination is that they are near by. If this occurs in an area that does not have alot of cover and is rather "open" terrain, what would be the realistic thing that your mind would gravitate toward if you can find NO trace of this individual? If there is no reason for the individual to take flight (quickly running away from you), you cannot locate them immobile from injury, and there is really no where for them to hide.....what other conclusion will a mind deduce that makes any sense but abduction. I would take into account that the individual who is not missing is emotionally traumatized and facing a horrific scenario - it is difficult to analyze their accounting of the situation.

Has anyone been able to find any social media accounts for her?

Sorry, I’m also getting confused with the location posts. Do we know the specific location of where she was walking to and from or is it still unclear?

Last edited:

I'll join the others in saying Welcome and thank you for posting here. I feel somewhat relieved and a little hopeful since you've shared that Barb and her husband were experienced campers and hikers in these desert areas. It makes me feel a little more hopeful that Barb managed to find a shady place to stay until searchers find her.

Your description of her interests fits what I was guessing - she liked to hike to pick up interesting rocks, wood, etc. It's a fun way of getting exercise. It's possible she got distracted in her hunt and looked up to realize she was "lost". It doesn't sound as though she planned to be out for very long, since the news reports claim she wasn't carrying water. She sounds like a fun person and I hope she's found safe.

I also hope your dad feels better. Such a difficult series of events for your family at this time and we're thinking of you all, hoping for the best.

Thanks so much for posting here and helping us learn more about this lovely woman.

I wonder if there has ever been a scientific study of how far away a person needs to be in order to blend into the background (assuming different types and colors of clothing); or what image characteristics people have against different backgrounds (perhaps the military did this).

Having been to this area I can say that the one thing that strikes you is that you can see everything. There are very sparse trees and low vegetation. I am continually surprised by how hard it is to find people who are lost but especially in the desert (Sheryl Powell as an example). Most lost people are found only 1 mile or less from where they were last seen (children) or 3 miles or less if they adults but it seems that days of searching by sometimes hundreds of people and nobody sees them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placeholder25