Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
thanks TL
from above article
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department began to pursue other leads in August 2019 after searches for her were unsuccessful. Her husband hired an attorney after he was reported by San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputies to have failed a polygraph test in July, according to previous News-Herald reporting.

Did we know RT failed a poly?
I didn't.

Exactly. Cops lie.

I wish the family or the authorities would issue a statement regarding how far away from the search area she was found.

I'd like to know where she was found, but I don't think that information is going to be made available. My theory, for what it's worth, is that she was not far outside the area searched. But she could have been in the search area and not found--we know this happens. *My opinion only*

I didn't mention any roads? The point I was making is that the place where the Thomases parked would come under the description of "Essex" or "near Essex".

Before the Google map was updated, if you hovered over the spot, it used to be flagged up as Essex. There's probably a screen grab of it somewhere in these threads. Perhaps it still does in different browsers. Now I'm getting nothing if I hover, just a label with 'San Bernadino County' if I click on it.

Indeed that screen grab is here. Post 966 from thread 13 is a hover over Kelbaker Road where they parked and google maps clearly states, "Essex, CA, 92332, USA"

Found Deceased - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Edit to add:
And, interestingly enough, if you right click on the actual "Hidden Hills Road" (on the roadway itself) and just under the little "i" in Hidden, and select "What's here", google maps still shows the tag as "ESSEX, CA". If you click on the parking lot itself, it shows as San Bernadino County.

Last edited:
Indeed that screen grab is here. Post 966 from thread 13 is a hover over Kelbaker Road where they parked and google maps clearly states, "Essex, CA, 92332, USA"

Found Deceased - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #13

Edit to add:
And, interestingly enough, if you right click on the actual "Hidden Hills Road" (on the roadway itself) and just under the little "i" in Hidden, and select "What's here", google maps still shows the tag as "ESSEX, CA". If you click on the parking lot itself, it shows as San Bernadino County.
Essex is in San Bernardino County. I live close to Essex. The Mojave Desert is beautiful. Death Valley is located in the Mojave Desert.

Still no cause of death or any real information regarding where she was found that I can see. At least with Paul Miller we got some updated information as to where he was found and how he may have succumbed to the heat. Makes me wonder why, if she wasn't a victim of foul play, we haven't heard anything more. After all isn't this basically the same county??

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm

Still no cause of death or any real information regarding where she was found that I can see. At least with Paul Miller we got some updated information as to where he was found and how he may have succumbed to the heat. Makes me wonder why, if she wasn't a victim of foul play, we haven't heard anything more. After all isn't this basically the same county??

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm
There is no statute of limitations on murder.

IMO, we've not learned any details to protect the integrity of the investigation. There would be no reason for LE to not announce the case closed and her death attributed to misadventure -- if they believed this was true.

I've been following the murder of then 29 yr old Cathleen Krauseneck since 1982, and after 40 years, her then-husband will face trial for her murder in Brighton, NY next Tuesday.

There is no statute of limitations on murder.

IMO, we've not learned any details to protect the integrity of the investigation. There would be no reason for LE to not announce the case closed and her death attributed to misadventure -- if they believed this was true.

I've been following the murder of then 29 yr old Cathleen Krauseneck since 1982, and after 40 years, her then-husband will face trial for her murder in Brighton, NY next Tuesday.
DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!! :)

MOD REMINDER:

ALLOWED SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES

Individuals
Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as officially named by LE)
  • Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.
  • Paraphrasing is okay, but direct quotes, copying/pasting, screenshots from these pages is not allowed.
  • NOTE: Comments and posts by Friends on these pages are not allowed to be linked, quoted, copied or referenced. They are considered rumor. Just don't mention them.
  • Do not link to a victim or suspect's social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.
  • If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Approved group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for..." (usually a page run by family)
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).
  • Posts by an owner or admin of the above public social media pages may be linked, copied, quoted, or paraphrased. This refers primarily to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, announcements by law enforcement, the admin of an approved group support page (usually a page run by family)
  • NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be linked, quoted, copied or referenced. They are considered rumor. Just don't mention them.
  • Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...": If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.
NOT ALLOWED

Names or images of minor children are not allowed unless they are the missing or deceased victim.
Social media pages of family members and/or friends of either a victim or a suspect, and most any other individual are OFF LIMITS. Random blogs or random youtube videos are also OFF LIMITS. Don't link to these pages or make reference to information you find on them.
NOTE:

Exceptions to any of the above must be approved by an administrator. You can contact an administrator via an Alert (using the Report feature) or by private message.

EXAMPLE: If a suspect has been arrested for a crime relevant to the discussion topic, and you want to post a Facebook screencap from their personal page, you must first obtain approval from administration.

I don't recall seeing any posts that gave the exact location where B's remains were found by the hikers. IIRC, that information was discussed in a private FaceBook group that I didn't have access to.

I believe the following details from MSM and Nixle alert are the best we have on the location where BT's remains were recovered. I don't have fb and probably wouldn't believe that source if I did. JMO

Hi @La Louve. The link below is the last info we have AFAIK. It mentions that Barbara’s remains were found “in a field off Kelbaker Road.” Some have believed that Barbara was never anywhere near where the RV was parked. When I said that “Barb has been found close to where she was last seen by RT,” I meant that she was found in the general vicinity (Kelbaker Rd) rather than in a totally different area as some had speculated. We don’t know how far from the RV she was found, of course, so it remains to be seen whether she could have gotten there on her own and whether it was within the area searched.

IMO Barbara was able to get beyond the search area in the hours before the search started, possibly dehydrated and disoriented. I’ve always believed that RT’s brief stop to take a photo was longer than he thought it was, which meant that Barbara was out of sight by the time he looked up. To me this makes more sense than a nefarious scenario but it’s JMO.
Missing Person/Death Investigation - the human remains found have been positively identified as ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle
UPDATE – December 18, 2020
On November 27, 2020 two people were hiking in a field off Kelbaker Road when they discovered human remains. On November 28th a further search was conducted, and additional bones and evidence was recovered.
The remains have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas. The cause of death is pending.
No other details are available for release at this time.

From where the hikers (that located the remains) were reportedly walking, I've always thought the following reference to Essex, CA in error and most likely should read near "Essex Road" and not Essex, CA. MOO

From the link:

In July 2019, Barbara Thomas, 69, was hiking with her husband, Robert, in the desert about 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Road. During the hike, Barbara and Robert allegedly got separated.

According to Supervisor Jeff Lewison of the San Bernardino County Sheriff Coroner's Division, her body was located on November 27 of this year in the desert near Essex, California.

Does anyone know the exact distance from where their RV was parked and where BT was found?
No exact location has been disclosed. (At least not by any WS-approved source).

VICTIM: Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, AZ
DESCRIPTION: 5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes, last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

**********UPDATE – December 18, 2020***************
On November 27, 2020 two people were hiking in a field off Kelbaker Road when they discovered human remains. On November 28th a further search was conducted, and additional bones and evidence was recovered.

The remains have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas. The cause of death is pending.
No other details are available for release at this time.

ETA: Given BT went missing on 7/12/2019, I think it's fair to say the hikers did not discover her intact, complete, skeleton, but obviously human.

A further search by authorities resulted in the discovery of additional human bones. I believe there's probably a general area where KB was recovered (off Kelbaker Rd) but I don't believe there will ever be a known, exact location.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamzie
Back