Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
bbm
Thanks for the link.
Yes I thought Barbara's COD was still pending.
Sadly due to the time that has passed, we may never know if she was bludgeoned, strangled, or just collapsed from not having a source of water with her.
Has to be so frustrating for her nephew, and her family.
Imo.
Yes. Unfortunately, we may never know. But I again feel compelled to point out that we have only one person's account of her supposed hiking/walking activities on the day she was last seen alive by others. No third party came forward to say, "I saw RT and BT hiking/walking off Kelbaker Rd." She could have expired in the RV, for all we know.

Last edited:
Yes. Unfortunately, we may never know. But I again feel compelled to point out that we have only one person's account of her supposed hiking/walking activities on the day she was last seen alive by others. No third party came forward to say, "I saw RT and BT hiking/walking off Kelbaker Rd." She could have expired in the RV, for all we know.

Of course, you’re quite right that no one has confirmed RT’s account of the day’s activities. I venture to guess that on any given day most of us aren’t specifically witnessed going about our activities, so I don’t find that absence of a witness particularly significant. RT certainly didn’t do himself any favors by his statements and actions after Barbara disappeared, and we are inclined, for good reason, to suspect husbands/partners of missing women. He isn’t particularly likable IMO, and there is always the possibility that there were nefarious doings that day. But if there were, I wouldn’t expect RT to leave Barbara’s remains in the general vicinity where he reported her missing and an extensive search would take place. While we can come up with reasons why he might have needed to do that, the simpler explanation that Barbara succumbed to the heat/dehydration better satisfies Occam’s Razor IMO, without casting RT as her killer on flimsy evidence or less. As you said, we may never know, which is such a shame for her family.

Of course, you’re quite right that no one has confirmed RT’s account of the day’s activities. I venture to guess that on any given day most of us aren’t specifically witnessed going about our activities, so I don’t find that absence of a witness particularly significant. RT certainly didn’t do himself any favors by his statements and actions after Barbara disappeared, and we are inclined, for good reason, to suspect husbands/partners of missing women. He isn’t particularly likable IMO, and there is always the possibility that there were nefarious doings that day. But if there were, I wouldn’t expect RT to leave Barbara’s remains in the general vicinity where he reported her missing and an extensive search would take place. While we can come up with reasons why he might have needed to do that, the simpler explanation that Barbara succumbed to the heat/dehydration better satisfies Occam’s Razor IMO, without casting RT as her killer on flimsy evidence or less. As you said, we may never know, which is such a shame for her family.

Great comments, thank you Lilibet!

Another thing we don't know is exactly where BT was found with respect to where RT said the RV was parked. We don't know if it was in the area that was searched or not. Kelbaker appears to be a very long stretch of road. I remember the search. It included ATVs, dogs, and helicopters and spanned several days. I know many of you think she was overlooked during the search, but I am still skeptical. MOO.

bbm
Yes, that is a possibility.
It's too bad LE didn't search the RV regardless.
MOO.

Another thing we don't know is exactly where BT was found with respect to where RT said the RV was parked. We don't know if it was in the area that was searched or not. Kelbaker appears to be a very long stretch of road. I remember the search. It included ATVs, dogs, and helicopters and spanned several days. I know many of you think she was overlooked during the search, but I am still skeptical. MOO.

It's my understanding that she was found almost a mile south of the RV and on the same side of the road as the RV, leading me to believe that instead of hanging a left at the trail crossing up from the dry creek bed, she went straight (despite the fact that the RV may have been visible from places along the trail - maybe she had her head down), and ended up hitting the road on that trail, only to find herself nowhere near the RV.

This says to me that she was already in the early stages of heat exhaustion and possibly doing her best just to put one foot in front of the other. She had been on a circuit of trails (according to RT) that involved going to some boulders, and then back, but RT had likely been leading and she was just following. It would be a very common thing.

The takeaway is to never split up when hiking.

It's my understanding that she was found almost a mile south of the RV and on the same side of the road as the RV, leading me to believe that instead of hanging a left at the trail crossing up from the dry creek bed, she went straight (despite the fact that the RV may have been visible from places along the trail - maybe she had her head down), and ended up hitting the road on that trail, only to find herself nowhere near the RV.

This says to me that she was already in the early stages of heat exhaustion and possibly doing her best just to put one foot in front of the other. She had been on a circuit of trails (according to RT) that involved going to some boulders, and then back, but RT had likely been leading and she was just following. It would be a very common thing.

Again, we have no witnesses to her (or RT) hiking or walking in that area at all. There was, allegedly, a picture taken. LE may have it, but it has not been publicly released. And yes, it seems odd to separate when hiking, especially for an experienced desert hiker. MOO

This is exactly what many had thought was the obvious error you might make and the obvious place you'd end up. Wonder why it didn't occur to the searchers? Not faulting them in any way but from thousands of miles away looking at Google maps that is what I guessed.

Search and Rescue: How to stay safe on a hike

If you do get lost, remember the following: Stop, stay together, sip some water and stay calm. Think about what you know and when you last knew it for certain. Observe what is around you. And plan, make smart decisions and don’t make the situation worse.

Perhaps most importantly are the "10 essentials".

10 essentials
  1. Navigation: compass, GPS
  2. Sun protection: sunscreen, hats, sunglasses
  3. Insulation: extra layers of clothing, rain gear
  4. Illumination: headlamp, flashlight
  5. First aid supplies, including prescriptions
  6. Fire: waterproof matches or lighter, fire starter
  7. Repair kit and tools: knife or multi-tool
  8. Nutrition and hydration: extra food and extra water
  9. Emergency shelter: small tarp or tent, 25 feet of cord
  10. communication and signaling devices: cell phone or personal locator beacon, whistle or mirror

Last edited:

If you do get lost, remember the following: Stop, stay together, sip some water and stay calm. Think about what you know and when you last knew it for certain. Observe what is around you. And plan, make smart decisions and don’t make the situation worse.

10 essentials
  10. communication and signaling devices: cell phone or personal locator beacon, whistle or mirror

And the bail-out plan, before you go in plan an exit direction if you get lost or separated. Preferably something that's guaranteed to lead you to a road, trail or defined feature.

10 essentials

All of these items would fit in a day pack and should be carried even on what is supposed to be just a short hike. Any one of these could save your life.

I live in the Mohave Desert and we just received an excessive heat warning, the first of 2021. It reminded me of Barbara and the day she went missing. We has a similar excessive heat warning. For the next 8 days in my area we are to expect temps between 120 and 125. I hope nobody goes out hiking for the next week. We have killer heat in this area. I would hate to have another tragedy like Barbara's! May she rest in peace. I can't believe this heat in spring.

My daughter and I were both AVID Mojave Desert hikers.
We recently relocated to New Mexico where we anxiously await the Autumn so that can become avid Sacramento Mountain and Lincoln Forest Hikers.
We always, always , ALWAYS carried 2 "party" sized air horns in case we got lost or needed help..
Please, always take a back pack.
Have enough water.
Take nuts ,(if not allergic) hard candy, and even fruit snacks.
Keep benadryl and antiseptic wipes.
And...please, have a minimum of 2 air horns.
They cost a buck, and just might save your life.

AMOO JMO MOO

My daughter and I were both AVID Mojave Desert hikers.
We recently relocated to New Mexico where we anxiously await the Autumn so that can become avid Sacramento Mountain and Lincoln Forest Hikers.
We always, always , ALWAYS carried 2 "party" sized air horns in case we got lost or needed help..
Please, always take a back pack.
Have enough water.
Take nuts ,(if not allergic) hard candy, and even fruit snacks.
Keep benadryl and antiseptic wipes.
And...please, have a minimum of 2 air horns.
They cost a buck, and just might save your life.

AMOO JMO MOO

Thank you! It amazes me that people go out for what they intend to be a short hike with absolutely no preparation for an emergency. Even when he just goes for a walk in our urban neighborhood I remind my husband to take his phone and ID.

You are correct, we don't know, but the family do.

I'm not sure where there is a link saying she was found a mile from the rv. All local papers have said she was found in Essex in an area 23 to as far as 45 miles from her last known sighting. They do not give an exact location, but this is why SARS could not locate her.

See link for the chronology of areas searched and remains located.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/8425388/

UPDATE – December 18, 2020
On November 27, 2020 two people were hiking in a field off Kelbaker Road when they discovered human remains. On November 28th a further search was conducted, and additional bones and evidence was recovered.
The remains have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas. The cause of death is pending.
No other details are available for release at this time.

Again, we have no witnesses to her (or RT) hiking or walking in that area at all. There was, allegedly, a picture taken. LE may have it, but it has not been publicly released. And yes, it seems odd to separate when hiking, especially for an experienced desert hiker. MOO

LE explicitly stated and told our VI that the photo was proof she was out there - meaning they had the timestamp of it. I'll go with what DB (Barbara's nephew) said on this one. The picture is not alleged, it exists, we've seen it. And our VI said that LE confirmed that they knew when and where it was taken that day.

See link for the chronology of areas searched and remains located.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/8425388/

UPDATE – December 18, 2020
On November 27, 2020 two people were hiking in a field off Kelbaker Road when they discovered human remains. On November 28th a further search was conducted, and additional bones and evidence was recovered.
The remains have been positively identified as Barbara Thomas. The cause of death is pending.
No other details are available for release at this time.
Remains of woman lost in Mojave Desert last year found

From where the hikers (that located the remains) were reportedly walking, I've always thought the following reference to Essex, CA in error and most likely should read near "Essex Road" and not Essex, CA. MOO

From the link:

In July 2019, Barbara Thomas, 69, was hiking with her husband, Robert, in the desert about 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Road. During the hike, Barbara and Robert allegedly got separated.

According to Supervisor Jeff Lewison of the San Bernardino County Sheriff Coroner's Division, her body was located on November 27 of this year in the desert near Essex, California.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pixilove
Back