CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor is around 30 years of age, and the other day I saw her and her aunt twice her age going out with the new baby in a stroller. It was also about 105-115° degrees that day. They were going to a place called "Spook Mountain" right down the street from our home. She was telling me that they were wearing pith helmets (all canvas with the flap down the back of her neck) and long sleeves shirts and pants to take this hike, because Aunt Bonnie told her its what you are suppose to do in exreme heat. They had water in those aluminum holders. Hmm. they came back just fine.

Last edited:
RT's 5 Hours in Back of LE Car?
I agree that maybe RT let them look. Since he said he took a polygraph (which he had a right to refuse), IMHO I would think he would have also given LE permission to search the truck & rv. And, according to VI reports as he heard them, RT was questioned for 5 hours in the back of the police car. A polygraph wouldn't have been performed there, so RT had to have been with LE for quite some time, which would have left plenty of time to look at the vehicles if given permission voluntarily by RT.
ETA: We don't know which LE agency gave him the poly - in CA or in AZ, either.

IIRC, the fam Ver'd. Ins'r. posted here ---
- RT said while in LE car, he was incommunicado (my paraphrasing) for most or all 5 hours.
- RT said this to explain why he did not phone some ppl, because LE had his cell.
- RT did not say he was questioned/interviewed /interrogated for 5 hours in car.

I'm sure LE did pose questions at least intermittently, but doubt he was grilled relentlessly for 5 hours. Jmo and recollection, could be wrong.
ETA: to clarify who said what.

Last edited:
If she took off voluntarily and is safe somewhere, though, wouldn't she have reached out to her adult child? Or the dying brother she was about to fly to the other side of the planet to see (or his children)? What I'm saying is, she might have been willing to run off on her husband if things were not good between them, but what about everyone else in her life?
I'm agreeing with you. I'm just pointing out that things may not have been as portrayed by the husband. If she was there and was not abducted, and I don't think that she was abducted, then she may have left on her own. But, I believe as you do, that she would contact her family members as soon as she could get to a phone. I don't think that she would take off and not contact someone.

I found the alternate attire one "might" wear if one were so inclined as mentioned. Its not a Pith helmet like Melania Trump once wore to Egypt? but described online as: an "Outdoor Fishing Hat, 360 ° UV Sunscreen Sun Hat Removable Neck And Mask Cap, Solar Protection UPF 50+ Outdoor Garden, Fishing Outdoor Activities" So I guess, "to each their own" attire.

IMHO, the majority of us here are not questioning or judging her attire we’re just using it as a description of what she was wearing when last seen. I personally don’t care what she was wearing, I’m only interested in accurate information. MOO
I understand. I posted because it had been questioned, and because I thought it went towards the plausible story of the husband. I apologize if it cluttered the fact gathering. Newbie error.

Well....if it is foul play, making sure everyone knows she was inadequately dressed for the conditions makes it seem like an acceptable idea that she will not be found alive.

I don't know that is the case, of course, and I hope it isn't.

jmo

I apologize for again not expressing myself clearly! :( What I meant and should have said in both my original post and first reply was that I didn’t think that her being in a bikini necessarily meant or didn’t mean foul play was involved. MOO and truly, I have no idea and can’t even guess anymore.

They did search for her in the desert, but did not explore a kidnapping scenario, so it isn't the same logic.
Very possible she was never there though. IM0
Why would we assume they did not explore a kidnapping scenario?
I am assuming they are investigating all angles, including the husbands claim that she was abducted.
That LE has found no evidence of an abduction does not mean they did not look for evidence. Imo

Where do you carry a phone when you are wearing a bikini and holding a drink? ;) I'd love to know the state of their finances. They have a new truck/rv... they day boat.... is their home nice? is everything mortgaged? does just one of them control the finances or do they both? could one of them been hiding something from the other? What I think is odd too is that no friends have posted here. We have some family members, but no one that knows them socially? Do they do everything together and alone?
New to this case .... but it’s not odd for some of the questions you ask ... as a married person of 30 years ... hubby and I have few friends and by few I mean 1 or 2 ... we have lots of acquaintances but friends not so much .... we enjoy each other’s company and privacy . Our finances are controlled by one person ... not to say we don’t communicate issues just that need addressing but too many cooks in the kitchen and all that ... Not sure why the niceness of their permanent home is important . If they have a new RV odds are they have decent credit which would pretty much rule out financial problems unless the sold their home in order to “ travel” and they pay cash for everything. That being said do we know how long they have been married ? What was/ is their professions?

One of the wierdest cases I ever heard of with the exception of Sheryl Powell just weeks after.

You think this case is weird, you should read up on the The Springfield Three.
That one is definitely "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma," to quote the late great Winston Churchill would say.

JMO.

On my "possible but not probable" list is the scenario that they had an argument and she wanted to leave, so flagged someone down. That someone turned out to be a bad actor, and she is no more. I can see husband wanting to keep the argument to himself for several reasons, although I'd think at this point he'd be talking about it.

Two other people who disappeared completely very shortly after having been seen by someone are Steven Koecher and Marizela Perez. In SK's case, it certainly looks like foul play, and in MP's, suicide. In this case, could be foul play.

I doubt the "they-had-an-argument-and-she-left" scenario for this reason:

Purely my opinion, based upon my limited knowledge of the human endocrine system (so please don't ask for links to back up my opinion): Post menopausal women aren't necessarily prone to storm off, even after a heated argument. The human endocrine system plays a significant role in human behavior. Post menopause, hormones that typically affect mood & behavior are less likely to lead to unpredictable/erratic choices, mainly because mood-altering hormones are much lower than they were during the child-bearing years.

Disclaimer: Fridaybaker - I know you didn't use the term "storm off" so please know that I'm not misinterpreting your post. The term "storm off" is mine.

Again, this is my opinion. Do we have a verified endocrinologist here on WS who can provide info?

I'm not verified & I have no wish to be (I like my privacy), but I have a degree in psychology/human kinesiology, and one of the subjects we covered during my post-grad studies was human endocrinology (albeit limited, since it wasn't my career track). Take my unverified opinion for what it's worth.

I doubt the "they-had-an-argument-and-she-left" scenario for this reason:

Purely my opinion, based upon my limited knowledge of the human endocrine system (so please don't ask for links to back up my opinion): Post menopausal women aren't necessarily prone to storm off, even after a heated argument. The human endocrine system plays a significant role in human behavior. Post menopause, hormones that typically affect mood & behavior are less likely to lead to unpredictable/erratic choices, mainly because mood-altering hormones are much lower than they were during the child-bearing years.

Disclaimer: Fridaybaker - I know you didn't use the term "storm off" so please know that I'm not misinterpreting your post. The term "storm off" is mine.

Again, this is my opinion. Do we have a verified endocrinologist here on WS who can provide info?

I'm not verified & I have no wish to be (I like my privacy), but I have a degree in psychology/human kinesiology, and one of the subjects we covered during my post-grad studies was human endocrinology (albeit limited, since it wasn't my career track). Take my unverified opinion for what it's worth.
Alternatively, endocrine studies aside, perhaps she just grew weary of him. It happens.

Although, my amateur speculation is that she passed over, and not due to exposure from the elements, or hiking, or anything to do with bikinis or beer.

As always, amateur opinion and speculation only.

Hope they find her safely.
Sorry to let this case get to me. :(

But in those photos... she looks like a fun person to hang out with !
And like she has a good sense of 'self'. :(
It's as if she vanished off the face of the earth in a short time span.

If R.T. had done a terrible thing and buried her... she should have been found by now.
And he doesn't look like the fittest of people, plus -- given his age , could he accomplish such a feat ?
And to do so would require him driving out a ways into the sand --so there'd be tire marks.

Just have such a bad feeling about Barbara.
It would be good to be wrong !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member