GUILTY Ca - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki, 53, & Jon Hayward, 55, Slain, Palm Desert, 17 Sep 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wondering if the attorney is sick again, or someone else. You would think Zak would let us know, eh?

:dunno:

Anyone local see anything?

Hey Niner! I’ve been looking too but haven’t seen anything yet—-I’m wondering if there’s some issue they’re tending to prior o bringing the jury in, or if they didn’t have staff to spare after a busy weekend in town. This was the last weekend of three large music festivals, so most reports have been about that. Will keep you posted if I come across anything!

I’m wondering if media interest will wane now that Javier Garcia has testified

Thanks for the explanation! I just moved here - well - been here a year and a half from California, so getting used to these evenings where the sun is still up - as now at 9:30pm! Love the extra light!

But what does the "Bridge" part come from, if you know?
Basically, this day fills the gap between weekend and public holiday, hence the term „bridge“.

Enjoy the extra sunlight! [emoji4]

Hey Niner! I’ve been looking too but haven’t seen anything yet—-I’m wondering if there’s some issue they’re tending to prior o bringing the jury in, or if they didn’t have staff to spare after a busy weekend in town. This was the last weekend of three large music festivals, so most reports have been about that. Will keep you posted if I come across anything!

I’m wondering if media interest will wane now that Javier Garcia has testified

:tyou: for keeping an eye out Xojoanne!
and
:welcome6: to WS and this thread!

:greetings:

Basically, this day fills the gap between weekend and public holiday, hence the term „bridge“.

Enjoy the extra sunlight! [emoji4]

Ah Ha! Got the term "bridge" now!

Well - I'm starting to yawn, and hopefully I'll have a Google Alert in the morning to "see" what happened today.

so :eek:fftobed: for me!

Well, this is all I've found this morning:

Zak Dahlheimer KESQ
‏ @ZakDahlheimer
2h2 hours ago

Stay tuned to KESQ News Channel 3 and CBS Local 2 for complete #teamcoverage of the #PinyonPines triple murder trial. Follow me on Twitter @ZakDahlheimer for live updates from inside the courtroom during the trial. https://www.facebook.com/zakdahlheimernews/videos/1843894772327756/ …

Nothing about "what happened" yesterday.... :dunno:

But I'll be back at 7:30pm my time to see if anything will happen today! :eek:nline:

Tuesday, May 1st:
*Trial continues (Day 10 or 9?) (@ 9:30am) - CA - Rebecca 'Becky' Annaleigh Friedli (18), Vicki Friedli (53) & Jon Hayward (55) (Mom's BF) (Sept. 17, 2006) - *Cristin Conrad Smith (29/17 @ time of crime) faces LWOP (juvenile @ time of crime) accused & charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. Pled not guilty.
*Robert Lars Pape (29/18 @ time of crime) (ex-BF) charged with 3 counts of murder with special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders & faces LWOP. Pled not guilty.
**Both arrested in March, 2014, but case was dismissed in October, 2014
No court on Fridays.

Okay - I'm ready.... :eek:nline:

now just :waiting: for some tweets!

Okay I was watching for Zak's tweets, totally forgot about Katie! :doh:

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
51m51 minutes ago

Proceedings continue today in the 2006 #PinyonPines triple murder case. Defendants Cristin Smith and Robert Pape are in the courtroom waiting on judge and jury. @KESQ @LocalTwo – at Riverside Superior Court - Hall of Justice

Judge Bernard Schwartz has entered the courtroom. Court is now in session. We are waiting for jury to file in. Prosecution warns they aree having technical difficulties. @KESQ @LocalTwo

#PinyonPines triple murder. Jury is seated this morning. Investigator Scott Michaels is called to stand. @KESQ @LocalTwo

Michaels worked for RSO central homicide team in 2006. Interviewed Pape and Smith. Interviewed Pape in-person on 9/18 and 9/19 by phone. Recorded interviews.

Courtroom will be listening to recording of interview with Pape on 9/18/2006. Jury is provided transcript of recording.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape identifies himself as a student.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Says he knew Becky since elementary school. Reconnected Junior year of high school. Dated a year and three months. Says they broke up after Becky confessed to cheating.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape says the cheating "kind of bugged me."

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
13m13 minutes ago

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Describes Becky's personality as "out there." Says she came to the house and needed to talk. Was crying. She told him it was a one night thing.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape says he saw Becky on 9/17 between 6:30-7:30. Becky called and stopped by. Cristin Smith was there as well.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape says Becky called him and said she wanted to talk on 9/17. Went to Cristin's house in Cathedral City. All three hung out for a bit.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape says they hugged when she arrived. She shook Smith's hand. Says they stayed at the house for an hour or less. Later, Smith went to hang out with girlfriend. Pape says he went to hang out with his cousin who was in town.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape fumbles in recollection and corrects himself, saying he last saw her the day before 9/17.

Robert Pape and Cristin Smith are also following along with transcripts while listening to audio recording of Pape's initial interview with investigators. @KESQ @LocalTwo

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Told investigator Becky came over on Saturday and they only talked by phone on Sunday. Says he didn't want to hang to with her again in case she started getting attached again.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape says he could tell Becky still had feelings for him because she got emotional sometimes when talking to him.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape says Becky wanted to go hiking, but she had mentioned there were other guys invited. Says she would do that sometimes to make him jealous. Tells investigators that she knew Marines through her older sister who was in military.

all caught up!

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
5m5 minutes ago

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape tells investigators that becky always included other guys. Says "there was always another guy." Says he did not want to get caught up in the trauma.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape tells investigators they had not spoken for 1-2 months before the Saturday meet up at Cristin Smith's house.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape tells investigators they had last been intimate in January of 2006. Had seen each other sporadically after that as friends.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape says he started dating Sarah (girlfriend at time of murders) after breaking up with Becky in January. Says Becky was not okay with it.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape tells investigators he spoke with Javier Garcia by phone and that's how he learned about the fire and three bodies found. Mentions he learned that one was found in a wheelbarrow. Says it was a female about 20-years-old.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Investigator asks if Garcia mentioned how he learned of information. Pape tells him Garcia was "up there" and saw a lot of it himself after scene was discovered.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape tells investigators he had not been to Becky's house since December of 2005.

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
4m4 minutes ago

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Investigator asks Pape if he knows of anyone who would want to hurt Becky. Pape tells him he knows of many instances where she has started fights with other women, but not anyone that would want to hurt her.

Audio recording of Pape on 9/18/2006: Pape tells investigators that he never had any violent interactions with her. Then proceeds to tell investigators that Becky's sister told the family that he beat Becky. Then says they would beat around, but Becky was not a "fragile girl."

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Investigator: Can you think of anybody else I need to talk to? Pape: Javier. He seems to be the best and knows a lot more than I do.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Pape tells investigators he does not own any guns.

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Investigators ask about exact time he called Becky to cancel hiking trip.

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
59s59 seconds ago

Audio recording of Pape interview on 9/18/2006: Formal interview is ending, but recording continues. Sounds like recording device it is in the pocket of investigator as he walks. Can pick up small talk between Pape and investigator, who is explaining the process. Interview ends.

Prosecution would like to play another interview for courtroom. This one takes place over the phone on 9/19/2006. Pape called investigator.

Phone interview on 9/19/06 between Pape and Investigator: Pape says Javier has an entire cabinet full of letters from when they dated. Says local news outlet posted pictures of evidence left behind at scene. One of the photos included a photo of Pape.

Phone interview on 9/19/06 between Pape and Investigator: Also, says he got home around 9:30 Sunday night, according to his cousin. Recording ends.

#PinyonPines triple murder trial: Court is in recess until 11:15.

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
3m3 minutes ago

#PinyonPines Triple Murder trial: Court is back in session. Jury is entering the room. Former @RSO investigator Scott Michaels is still on the stand.

Audio recording of interview with defendant Cristin Smith on 9/28/2006 will be played. Jurors have a transcript.

Interview with Cristin Smith on 9/28/2006: Begins with investigator knocking on the door. Dog is barking. Someone answers.

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
1m1 minute ago

Prosecution is experiencing technical difficulties with audio recording of interview with Cristin Smith on 9/28/2006. Judge is sending court to early lunch so issue can be remedied. Court to resume at 1:30 p.m.

and that means I'll post the rest in the morning....

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
13h13 hours ago

#PinyonPines We are back inside the courtroom. Cristin Smith (second from left) and Becky Friedli’s ex-boyfriend, Robert Pape (far right) sit next to respective defense attorneys. Expecting to hear audio recordings of Smith’s 2006 interview with detective next.

DcI4mqYVQAIA4h2.jpg

Listening to Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith tells detective that Robert Pape had mentioned they would probably come to talk to him.

Listening to Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith tells detectives he did not know Becky was dead. He knew three bodies were found and that they (investigators) did not know who it was.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Detectives ask Smith to relax and calm down.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith tells detective that Pape called him after speaking to Javier Garcia and that Pape had relayed details of what investigators found at the scene.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Detectives ask Smith to go back and recount the weekend of Sept. 16th. Saturday he says he went to work at 9:45 a.m. and left around 6:30. Robert then came over.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Says Becky called Robert and said she was in the area and wanted to come by and say hello. He says Becky would call him from time to time since their January break up.

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
13h13 hours ago

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Says Becky stopped by around 7:30/8 p.m. Smith says she stayed for no longer than 10 minutes. They were catching up and talked about what they were up to. Becky worked at Denny's in Palm Desert.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith says Becky invited Robert to go hiking, but once becky left Robert told him there was no way he was going.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith's parents lived across the street from each other. He tells detective he hangs out at both homes, keeping most his clothes at his mother's house.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Says they missed church the following night so they played video games. Says Becky called both him and Pape, but they did not want to go hiking so they did not answer.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Tells detective they went paint-balling behind James Workman middle School in Cathedral City. They headed home around 10/10:30. Says his car was on empty so they drove to AM/PM on Date Palm. He says Pape went inside to get chapstick.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: He says then he took Pape home around 10/10:45 or earlier. Smith then went home and showered and went over to girlfriend's house.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith says they were at gas station about 10:30/10:45 that night.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith says his mom was "not comfortable" around Robert Pape after senior prank. She did not like him.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith says he hadn't seen Becky for a month or two before the Saturday rendezvous at his mother's house.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith tells detective that Becky hung out with a lot of Marines. Says Becky and Robert had a casual relationship where they would call each other every couple of months to say hello or make plans that never came to fruition.

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
13h13 hours ago

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Cristin Smith says Becky and Robert Pape's new girlfriend did not like each other.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith says Robert told him the hike was a ploy. Becky wanted to make him jealous by having another guy there. Smith says there were no definite plans that he knew of to go hiking.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith says Becky called Robert Pape and then him. They did not answer because they did not want to go hiking. Detective asks to see the call log from his phone. Smith adds that he called Becky back a few minutes later.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith says Becky did not answer and he did not leave a message because it did not cross his mind and that is not something he usually does.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Detective is grilling Smith about his timeline. Smith is stumbling to answer.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Detective is still grilling Smith about the call to Becky the night she died. Smith says it did not go to voicemail. Says it probably rang twice and then he decided to hang up.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith tells detectives he knows Javier Garcia from school, but was not close friends with him.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview w/ detective: Detective asks Smith why would Becky want to go hiking with them, if they weren't close friends and they didn't want to go. Smith replies that Becky and Robert Pape never hated each other, so they always had a friendly relationship.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Smith says he has "never even seen Becky's house," but he knows general area of where it is.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Detective asks if Robert Pape talked to him about what he should say to detectives. Smith says yeah, we talked it over.

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Detective asks if he is making anything up. Smith replies "not that I know of."

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
12h12 hours ago

Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective: Detective: "Did Robert ever ask you to give him an alibi for where he was?" Smith: "No."

The audio of Cristin Smith's 2006 interview with detective has ended. Prosecution moves on to asking question of former @RSO investigator Scott Michaels, who has been sitting at the stand during audio recordings.

Michaels says it took nearly two weeks to interview Cristin Smith in Sept. of 2006 because they had missed communications with Smith and it was a small department with limited resources. Michaels testifies that Smith was cooperative in demeanor once they connected for interview.

Smith's defense attorney cross examines Michaels. Establishes that no one ever interviewed Smith's mother who lived across the street, nor Smith's aunt Norma, who was living at Smith's father's home. Both places Smith says he was at the day of the murders.

Smith's defense attorney John Patrick Dolan establishes that no one ever examined the Xbox that Smith and Pape allegedly were playing on.

No more questions from Smith's attorney John Patrick Dolan. Former @RSO investigator Scott Michaels is still on the stand. Jeff Moore, defense attorney for Robert Pape, is now asking questions.

Moore is establishing that Robert Pape's mother and sister never had any follow up interviews with investigators. Investigators also did not follow up with some of Pape's co-workers or Sacred Heart Church. Investigators did not follow up with Smith's girlfriend Jackie Muto either

Fmr. @RSO investigator Scott Michaels testifies he went to gas station on Sept. 30th that Pape and Smith allegedly went to get gas the night of murders (Sept. 17). Manager of gas pump told Michaels the recording equipment was unreliable. Video is recorded-over every 7 days.

Fmr. @RSO investigator Scott Michaels testifies he did not get transaction records from gas station.

Fmr. @RSO investigator Scott Michaels testifies he did not document these facts in his report.

Katie Widner CBSL2
‏ @KWidnerCBSL2
12h12 hours ago

Moore has no more questions. Prosecution takes up with questions again. Fmr. @RSO investigator Scott Michaels testifies that there was no reason to interview aforementioned people because they were not with the pair during the hours of the murders.

Fmr. @RSO investigator Scott Michaels testifies he does not recall ever going into Smith's mother's house. Defense counsel Dolan seems to have documentation that states otherwise. Judge calls recess.

Our team coverage of the #PinyonPines triple murder trial will continue tonight on-air on @KESQ and @LocalTwo. Two Cathedral City High School graduates, Robert Pape and Cristin Smith, face three counts of first degree murder with special circumstance allegations.

and that is all she tweeted from yesterday.

I'm "hoping" I will be here later - but my laptop has been giving me problems this morning, but so far okay! :eek:nline:

Later!

Wednesday, May 2nd:
*Trial continues (Day 11 or 10?) (@ 9:30am) - CA - Rebecca 'Becky' Annaleigh Friedli (18), Vicki Friedli (53) & Jon Hayward (55) (Mom's BF) (Sept. 17, 2006) - *Cristin Conrad Smith (29/17 @ time of crime) faces LWOP (juvenile @ time of crime) accused & charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. Pled not guilty.
*Robert Lars Pape (29/18 @ time of crime) (ex-BF) charged with 3 counts of murder with special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders & faces LWOP. Pled not guilty.
**Both arrested in March, 2014, but case was dismissed in October, 2014
No court on Fridays.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14