Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just confused as to why the school he went to or his status as friends of Blaze or age or whatever would preclude him from being cold blooded?

@Gitana, enjoyed your thoughts and insights as well.

As to the question above, those aspects influence how I rate the "likelihood" (in my mind) of a theory - these factors as well as what another poster mentioned push that likelihood lower for me, not that it's not possible.

Sudden rage based killing by a person with poor impulse control and lots of behavioral issues. That may not match because getting into OCSA is hard.

As to this theory, I think "sudden rage" is certainly a very viable theory, and it may or may not have been related to sex or homosexuality as others have theorized

Putting on my amateur psychologist hat for a moment, I think there are two factors which would make this scenario a higher likelihood for an OCSA student

1) Artists are generally more right-brained people, and as a result their actions and reactions are more likely to be governed by emotion and impulses over logic.

2) If there is a homosexual aspect to this, there may be many suppressed emotions at play here. I'm not sure if we know or not whether the driver (or 3rd party presuming he exists) was homosexual and/or in the closet. We know that BB was out, but it's certainly possible that the perpetrator was not and that had something to do with this.

Either way, these scenarios don't fall under what I would call "cold-blooded murder", but more under "crime of passion", which is what I meant by "accidental death" in my earlier post.

Sex-motivated killings by psychopaths or persons with other mental health issues. Sometimes there are no clear signs of issues until the murder.

This scenario is certainly plausible here in my mind, but we don't know enough about the driver or this other possible friend to know if they fit this psychological profile.

Romantic partner murders/homicides after a break up or by a person who wanted a relationship and felt rejected.

This scenario would fit with 2) above possibly

Planned killings of total psychopaths who wanted to feel what it was like to kill someone. Usually there are signs in this person's background of behavioral issues and a history of extreme dysfunction in their background.

This is always possible in one of these cases, but this is the one that in my mind doesn't fit with the driver based on what we know

I can't seem to find a reference to driver purchasing a "bucket" or the finding of a "black belt"..
if someone has a moment to direct me it will be appreciated. thanks

It's from the affidavit. I think you are referring to the bin rather than a bucket. I don't know anything about a bucket.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...ego-park-case-being-investigated-as-homicide/
At one point, the friend opened the doors to his rental car and allowed two detectives to look inside. The detectives noticed hiking and camping equipment in the rear of the vehicle, a large empty plastic bin on the backseat, and a black belt on the passenger seat floorboard.

Anyone know the name of the street where the search warrant was served the other night? I have some assumptions but would love to know facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous posts have indicated that Newport Beach police deleted all relating online info for several hours that night including the time the warrant was served so I don't think anyone has access to that info.

BTW, it seems that MSM outlets all over the country today are quoting the OC Register article from yesterday about the affidavit and casting quite a negative light on the driver.

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts about this behavior. I fully understand the driver's actions seem suspicious so far, but is it fair to crucify him in the press before all the facts are in?

BTW, it seems that MSM outlets all over the country today are quoting the OC Register article from yesterday about the affidavit and casting quite a negative light on the driver.

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts about this behavior. I fully understand the driver's actions seem suspicious so far, but is it fair to crucify him in the press before all the facts are in?

If it quacks like a duck.....

mistivon said:
But why not secretly call 911 or Dad who was 5 minutes away?

Because he was engaged in an activity that he did not want his parents to know about (IMO).

We know he had a loaner phone. He had probably texted his best friend with it when he received it. Not sure he would have texted his family since he was staying with them for the holidays. Perhaps she had texted him that evening. In a rushed situation, it may have been easiest to reply to a text / phone number that was already stored. Just some speculation, MOO, etc.

A few thoughts of mine. When I first read about the "black belt" my mind first went to a martial arts black belt. My son is in tae kwon do so that is probably why I thought that. Just the way it was worded. But it could just mean a normal belt that is black. Not sure that its relevant at all. It if was related to the crime, why on earth would it still be in the car when he was meeting with the police. Same for the tub/bucket/bin, whatever.

I am perplexed about the comment about the hand scratches and fingernail dirt. Two days later seems odd, and as mentioned before, why did the police not see it before? The timing of that discovery could be critical. If they didn't see it before, why? was it not there? If it was, why did they not note it? We don't have the entire Affidavit so its difficult to say

I am guessing the police asked the friend to meet them at the park to go over some things. But I don't know. A person must be read their Miranda rights not when they are a suspect, but when they are in "custody." However, that doesn't mean arrested. The "custody" threshold can be crossed much sooner, any time the person believes that they are not free to go. It can become a tricky question for police when to give those warnings. Too soon, and a suspect clams up. Too late, and whatever information you get from them can't be used against them.

While I believe the "friend" is likely suspect #1, we are not privileged to a lot of information at this time. I do believe the police are probably waiting for autopsy results, maybe some toxicology tests to positively say the cause and nature of death. If the friend is their suspect, they have him under very close supervision; he isn't going anywhere, so they are being thorough.

It is interesting why the body wasn't discovered sooner. I'd like to know more about the search when I get some time.

Potential Scenario & Motive:

- BB posts ad on dating/hookup site featuring body only pics (i.e., no face pics).

- Suspect replies to BB's ad and they agree to meet up. At this point neither person knows that they already know one another from high school at OCSA.

- Suspect picks up BB and is shocked to find out that he knows BB from high school.

- Suspect is afraid BB will tell others that suspect is gay.

- Suspect "small talks" with BB for an hour or so while devising a plan to ensure his secret remains safe.

- Suspect lures BB to back of dark, isolated, unpopulated park on pretense of having sex, and murders BB.

- Suspect returns to park later that night (4:00 am) to attempt to further conceal BB's body. Suspect knows he must provide these two discrete time frames based on cel tower ping information.

Note: This is my opinion only based on all known current information.

I think it is entirely possible.

ETA: The upperclass suburban version of a gang. We see it all the time.

Not with his demographic- perfoming arts kids/LGBTQ and ally community.

Surely he would expect that LE would ask him for the name of this other HS friend & it would be easy to confirm. Maybe another POI...? (Or maybe it’s just another dumb “meeting my GF whose last name I don’t know” lie.)

I think this person was making it up as he went along, hoping he could create enough of a smokescreen that the cops would say: "Yeah. OK, sure." And then, hopefully, they would melt away.

Magical thinking on the perps part, no planning, didn't have a alibi worth spit anyway. Just hoped he wouldn't get fingered for the crime, despite the fact that the parents (among others?) knew exactly who he was.

The cops lay low, saying there is "no evidence of foul play", giving the killer a false sense of security, while they scrutinize even the most infinitesimal move this guy makes, incriminating himself even further.

I think the murder occurred at the park. Why transport someone murdered elsewhere to an urban park? Much more logical to dispose of a body in an area far less frequented as long as there is the benefit of darkness, and time.

Additionally, it would very difficult to move a 140+ pound body (even with an accomplice) from the parking lot at that park to where Blaze was found. A plastic bin isn't going to help that process much.

Blaze was murdered where he was found. If this murder was at all premeditated, there were an abundance of rookie moves--which is fine. I don't want this person making any attempt to improve on his stupid mistakes.

(RIP Blaze. You did not deserve this. Millions of hearts bleed for you, and they want justice.)

They haven't named him, so what's the big deal about crucifying an unnamed POI?

I agree, that the murder probably occurred at or very close to where the body was found.

Although I appreciate this information I would like to suggest a slight shift of focus away from a possible 'gay hate' crime to one that perhaps involves egoic competition. The trend in many psychological circles is now to identify psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissist's in a broader spectrum called 'pathologicals'. An individual because it is a spectrum can fall more or less anywhere along the spectrum, it does not necessarily mean they kill.

If you think about this in real life and I do think this is an acquired over the years type observation, we all likely can admit that we've met people socially, at work and in other situations that have negatively affected our prospects due to narcissistic competition. They lie, backstab and gaslight to get ahead, some of them go further. They have no remorse and most importantly, they do not have an ability to act empathetically. They are completely lacking of empathy. They also, seemingly in my observation, possess the ability to be chameleon like in their presentation and tend to mirror others. They have no true authentic core and hate others that do. For this reason they tend to target others who are truly authentic creators who shine with their own light. People like Blaze.

What I am suggesting is that perhaps this is just a case of narcissistic competition taken to the extreme. Particularly if the narcissist thought they were going to be outed as the fraud (<---imo their biggest trigger point) they are they could possibly become enraged enough to harm another. It's unfortuantely not outside the realm of possibility that they engage or manipulate another cohort to assist them in this endeavor.

just my 2 cents

Only thing is have we seen this kind of killing among people this young? (I'm assuming they driver/friend is as young as Blaze).

I know we've seen it with older adults or with the parents of teens. The cheerleader killing comes to mind.

Your theory is intriguing. I keep thinking about it.

I can't seem to find a reference to driver purchasing a "bucket" or the finding of a "black belt"..
if someone has a moment to direct me it will be appreciated. thanks

Me either.

I can't find an answer to this, but how was the "friend" that picked Blaze up identified as being with him? Did he come forward or did the Sheriff locate him somehow?

Good question.

As an attorney, how do you feel this played out-do you think the wording was such that LE is trying to say that he was not considered a suspect UNTIL the scratches and dirt were observed-in other words, a bit of a dodge to get info before being Mirandized? To build the case before the possibility of him requesting an attorney?

No doubt. I'm sure they figured out pretty quickly they needed to investigate this person hard. They may not have wanted to say they saw scratches or dirt at first because then it would be a tiny bit harder to get away with questioning without a Miranda warning.

Not with his demographic- perfoming arts kids/LGBTQ and ally community.

Agreed. I'm using the term fight club loosely. I CANNOT see Blaze belonging to any such club. However he might have run across some guys who do and was used as a punching bag. IMO

Wasn't it reported before they found Blake, that there were other young people at the park that night? This is what I recall but I don't have a link.

IIRC, that was an unsubstantiated post from someone on websleuths, who claimed to be from the area. Could be true, could be false. But not coming from MSM or police.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I read about the black belt, I immediately thought martial arts. Have no idea why.

Post #5000. I've been here awhile.

I don't think pointing out the suspicious behavior is crucifying him. I think it's fair, journalistically. I think they're just reporting the facts not editorializing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicky Trout