Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Bernstein, who was visiting family in Orange County during his school break from University of Pennsylvania, was last seen about 11 p.m. on Jan. 2. He told relatives he was meeting up with his friends. He was reported missing the following day after his loved ones were unable to get in contact with him"

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...ath-of-OC-Teen-Blaze-Bernstein-468791803.html

See that. He told his relatives he was meeting friends?? First I heard of this. Forgive me if someone has pointed this out. I'm catching up again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

yep! I caught that as well when I read the story. That’s the very first I’ve heard that he told his family.

That's exactly the scenario that I had come up with!

Anything is possible, but Orange County, especially south Orange County, is very open and accepting to gay people. I have lived in this area since 1985. I work in the community college school district, and I have never experienced or heard of bigotry at that end. Or course, anything is possible, but I'm really leaning toward this not being a hate crime.

yep! I caught that as well when I read the story. That’s the very first I’ve heard that he told his family.

Except that I don't think he did. I think someone took literary license by reporting that. The parents went on record that they didn't know he had left the house, they thought he was in his room until he didn't show up for his dental appointment. FWIW

I have a friend who had two sons who went to OCSA in Los Al. One was gay, the other was straight. One of the reasons they went there was because the gay son was bullied in public school and he was accepted for who he was at OCSA.

it seems a lot of investigatory information is being released, more than usual I would think .
dirt
scratches
door handles
items in car
nerveousness
girl friends non name and address
Could this be a tactic?
He's not under arrest so it's not pressure for a plea I wouldn't think.
Smoke out an accomplice?

I haven't been following this story that closely but what has lead people to believe this is related to gay activity? When I first read this story my immediate thought was a drug deal gone bad. Nothing specific made me think that just the whole business about meeting someone in a park at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it seems a lot of investigatory information is being released, more than usual it seems to me.
dirt
scratches
door handles
items in car
nerveousness
girl friends non name and address
Could this be a tactic?
He's not under arrest so it's not pressure for a plea I wouldn't think.
Smoke out an accomplice?

It's interesting that you mention this. I was thinking of this in the back of my mind also. How is it that the OC Register was able to get a copy of this particular affidavit? For the attorneys out there or those who are more experienced with the machinations of the justice system, is this normal practice? Are these things generally public record? I understand from a prior post that there were 3 warrants issued and all of the affidavits are now sealed.

Was it just luck that OC Register was able to obtain this info before the affidavit was sealed, or was it perhaps leaked?

Just curious

Thanks for posting this! From that article you linked, "his grandfather indicated he had been buried in a shallow grave."

This is exactly what I had been speculating as to why it took so long to find him. He was buried in a shallow grave and the rain washed enough away to expose the body.

The Sheriff somewhat alluded to this yesterday but didn't give specifics, so it's nice to have that confirmed by the grandfather.

I believe he was using the word 'grave' in a literary sense, his "grave in finality", the word grave is also a poetic term for death aka the rains exposed his final resting place. He did not use the word 'shallow'.

"We thank God for this hard rain that exposed his grave in finality"

from the link in previous post

I believe he was using the word 'grave' in a literary sense, his "grave in finality", the word grave is also a poetic term for death aka the rains exposed his final resting place. He did not use the word 'shallow'.

I agree.

That quote that I posted was directly from the article. Are you saying the reporter got it wrong? She used the term "shallow grave" specifically.

In all honesty, a seemingly sweet kid, who enjoys writing, cooking for his family, doesn't strike me as the type to enjoy fistfights.

Anything is possible, but Orange County, especially south Orange County, is very open and accepting to gay people. I have lived in this area since 1985. I work in the community college school district, and I have never experienced or heard of bigotry at that end. Or course, anything is possible, but I'm really leaning toward this not being a hate crime.

eh...as a gay man born and raised in Orange County (I'm also an OCSA alum)...I disagree. Sure, it's not the worst...but OC is still plenty religious and conservative. A hate crime took place in Seal Beach just last month.

OCSA is certainly gay friendly, but it can still be a very confusing/stressful/conflicting process growing up in and coming out as gay in OC. I didn't come out to my parents until I moved away for college.

OCSA feels like a comfortable and safe bubble, but outside of school, it doesn't always feel that way. Even OCSA isn't perfect, and remember, plenty of the parents of kids there may be old-school, vaguely homophobic types (please understand I am NOT referring to Blaze's parents). It's always tough.

I'm really hoping this story doesn't play out the way I think it will, but I do have a feeling homophobia is involved. I think I can really relate with how Blaze must have felt about his life, his family, and his teenage years. Sending all my love to him and his family.

Maybe , finally, the kid's family has gotten him an attorney. No need to rush an arrest, they know who he is. He is an adult...I wonder how old an adult?? Perhaps a little bondage play gone bad, had to bury with hands.. .a jack russell terrier could have sniffed out anything if brought in the area. i pray for both families involved...bring all a peaceful heart. how awful for ocsa, et al...

It's interesting that you mention this. I was thinking of this in the back of my mind also. How is it that the OC Register was able to get a copy of this particular affidavit? For the attorneys out there or those who are more experienced with the machinations of the justice system, is this normal practice? Are these things generally public record? I understand from a prior post that there were 3 warrants issued and all of the affidavits are now sealed.

Was it just luck that OC Register was able to obtain this info before the affidavit was sealed, or was it perhaps leaked?

Just curious

I have a friend who had two sons who went to OCSA in Los Al. One was gay, the other was straight. One of the reasons they went there was because the gay son was bullied in public school and he was accepted for who he was at OCSA.

Perhaps "the friend" was a conservative and felt like an outcast in this environment. Maybe he resented it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't it reported before they found Blake, that there were other young people at the park that night? This is what I recall but I don't have a link.

yes, someone came on and said how it was kind of a hangout spot and that kids were in a lower lot and that they hang out in the trees. A couple other things were mentioned and then the thread got in trouble and tons of things deleted. But this was a couple days before body was found.

Stlrfninca wonders if the driver might be falsely accused. Is that within the realm of possibility?

You bet. (Likelihood of guilt, now that is another subject.)

This is why no one should ever, ever, *ever* meet with LE "just to talk" without an attorney present.

Instinctive cops sniff out your weaknesses when you think that you are not revealing them. They do this with the innocent, just as they do with the guilty.

Instinctive cops lead the gullible into traps they can't get easily get out of. (They do this with the innocent, just as they do with the guilty.)

As long as you are innocent, what's the harm in telling the truth when you are being casually questioned about a crime?

Without an attorney, Plenty. To You. Personally.

I'm glad they do. Otherwise it would be harder to catch the bad guys.

And I'll tell ya', if one of my friends or loved ones went missing you better believe I would talk to LE without an attorney present and I'm an attorney!!!

I would do anything to help someone I care about. As long as I was innocent. The last thing on my mind would be that LE might somehow frame me for something. Especially before it's known that a crime was even committed.

Even after, I would still speak freely. That would change if it appeared to me that they were seriously looking at me. But fact gathering and hard questions? No.

I just don't think the cops are walking around trying to frame innocent people or twist their words for the most part. (I would have a very different answer if I was black though because too many times witnesses have fingered the wrong perp when the suspects are black).

This is an interesting possibility.
It’s also possible that Blaze was already deceased by that time and the driver/friend sent the 11:30 pm message himself as a diversion before destroying the telephone.

Since this was likely an older phone (left at home when someone in the family upgraded) it was very likely unlocked/ accessible for a fraudulent text. The driver/friend would have known who Blaze’s best friend was or she could have been repeatedly trying to reach him that night and it may have been a reply to throw her off.

The text may have been more “odd” because it didn’t sound like Blaze rather than a cry for help. Has it been revealed what the text from Blaze at 11:30 actually said?

Seems likely. I've wondered that form the beginning.

Farming, country gal here. If you get dirt under your fingernails, scrap your fingernails over a bar of soap. You may have to do it more than once. Works best to do that BEFORE you go digging with your hands, but will work afterwards. Of course usually washing your hair will work as well. They do sell manicure sticks that will get it all out too. Sorry...was just ticking me off someone would have dirt under their nails DAYS afterwards. Unless he was burying something else just before the police talked to him, which is possible.

IF this 'driver' went to school with Blaze, then he isn't that old. Wasn't that abandoned car an expensive one? Who does it belong to? Do guys in their late teens, early 20's drive vehicles like that in that area? It would rare to see that here. Though the majority of young men in my area have a truck. :thinking:

Blaze did have a grinder account. There may be others, but I haven't looked as I'm not sure what other hookup sites there are out there. I could be way wrong, yet I'm of the belief that being gay, or coming out as gay wouldn't be seen as something shameful in the community the driver and Blaze were familiar with. Am I incorrect in that thinking? Maybe it's just the people I'm around, but even in this area, it's not that unusual. There doesn't appear as a big deal anymore.

Could that driver have been interested in Blaze, but Blaze not as interested in him? Maybe a jealous thing that Blaze was looking for someone on Grinder, but didn't want him? Was the driver who Blaze had been having a long conversation with or was it someone else? I don't think we know yet. Maybe he was talking with both?

Whether straight or gay, as a parent, thinking your 19yr old child is meeting up with random people for sex is upsetting. I would be worried if my son or daughter were doing that. Their sexual orientation wouldn't matter. Just all the risks of doing that. Then to have the world thinking, or knowing that...not something I want broadcasted even though I've had my share of one night stands in my younger days.

Very great post. Oh and thanks for the soap under the nails tip!!!

In September 2017, Blaze commented on a picture on the FB page of a fellow OCSA classmate (who is interested in females and lives in Newport Beach) and referenced the creator of Law & Order.

How did you find that?
Hello everyone..like all of you I am heartbroken, shattered, devastated and shocked at how everything has transpired. I was praying that Blaze needed a break from his life and had escaped for some personal R&R and would return home when he was ready. Rest in peace sweet boy.

Quick recap of who I am: I am a newbie to WS and I live in the Foothill Ranch neighborhood and I have met the Bernsteins on a few occasions. My kids and husband were playing toddler friendly basketball at the park on Sunday and my husband said that the ball rolled numerous times in the area that Blake was found a few days later. The mere thought that he was there this whole time makes me sick!

I have tried to keep up with the thread but it moves so fast that I apologize if whatever I state below has already been written.
From all the news articles, living in the neighborhood and just my own personal sleuthing..here are my thoughts (local residents/those familiar with the area please feel free to correct me).

1) For someone new visiting the neighborhood, the Borrego Park is not easy to find. There is no signage on the main two streets that indicates there is a park tucked next to the library. There is a sign for the “Foothill Ranch Library” that I don’t even think is illuminated in the night. My guess is that they were there already doing something or the “friend” had to have googled it/driven around to find it. My guess would be that they were already there.

2) I went to the vigil last night to pay my respects. At 6:30pm it was already dark, even with a full moon I would imagine the area would be pretty dark AND very far from the closest parking spot. Blaze was either running and got trapped over there, they were doing something intimate and were already there, or “friend” carried him to the spot (with or without help). Since I attended the vigil after work, I was a bit late and wanted to get a better view of the memorial, I climbed up some stairs near where he was found to connect into the elementary school (the gate was open). I am not familiar with the elementary school just yet but I wonder if you can drive a car on the elementary school side of the fence and the “friend” could have climbed down carrying Blaze. It would explain why there weren’t any clear tracks/scent/clues closer to the main part of the park.

3) From the affidavit, the “friend” said he was part of a “fight club.” We all know this is probably a bunch of wacka-doodle but that could also give us a clue that this “friend” is bigger and stronger than Blake to possibly be even able to carry/over-power Blake.

4) If I travel to Newport Beach from Foothill Ranch, I always take the toll road (241 to 133). I bet if the toll road records are pulled, you will see the exact times “friend” left and came back to Foothill Ranch with his rental car (or another car once OCSD has all the information). Which would clue us into his whereabouts that night and for the remainder of the week.

I remember you form earlier posts. Hope you're doing okay.

I am not sure if I can post this here, if not I Apologize but on the FB Group Justice for Blaze there is some very interesting information

Same with the Reddit "MyTheoryIs" group. It seems all the classmates of BB and driver know exactly who driver is. Just don't repost it here and get me in trouble! :) ps hello everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FormerSoldier