CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't apologise, I think I should have realized that!

Welcome to Bob's thread, Lots2Learn. :welcome:

Now it's my turn to say sorry - welcome, Lots2Learn!

yes I was curious what all would pop up searching for financial gain/famliy, that was one

other stuff I ponder on, not that it matters necessarily in the big picture-just curious, errr nosy.
Did Mr. H have any kind of relationship with his great grandchildren? I wonder what they were /are told about where he is or what happened? Or is the subject absolutely verboten?

Why does JeM use M as his last name? Was it a legal name change?

Why does AH use H as his last name? If he did legally change his name, wouldn't spouse and children before the fact , have to legally change theirs also?
WHY change your names?
I wonder if Mr. H's children get together for any events, etc now, or is there a distance to their respective relationships with each other.

This stuff has been brought up before, I believe, but still gives me pause.

No apologies. I have a tendency to quick post instead of explaining my thoought process.

CL having to call up and ask if Bob was ok (paraphrasing) says whatever needed to be cleaned up wasn't .
The route to Home Depot would be of interest to me if I was LE.

Thank you for the welcome

About the name change - Grainne pointed out to me that Fink can mean sneak or snitch in the US. So that could be a reason for it to be changed, maybe due to teasing at school? The surname was already Michaels when he married, so it could have been done as a child though, if mom remarried and changed her name? I'm guessing it was legal, or is it possible to use an AKA when a person marries?

I have no idea if AH's name change was legal. I have an opinion about why it happened though.

As for Bob's great granchildren - I guess the adults in the family will have to help them cope with this awful legacy of having a missing person in the family. I think it's a shame their grandmom used the grandchildren to illustrate a point about Bob's supposedly 'cold' behaviour, and probably unwise that a photo was issued of Bob with one of the children (probably) in it. I wish all the best for them. It can be very hard growing up with something like this in the family, I know.

No apologies. I have a tendency to quick post instead of explaining my thoought process.

CL having to call up and ask if Bob was ok (paraphrasing) says whatever needed to be cleaned up wasn't .
The route to Home Depot would be of interest to me if I was LE.

Thank you for the welcome

Here are routes to the two I think are nearest. They look like the most direct routes, but I haven't found any info about which route or store was actually visited.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 4
other stuff I ponder on, not that it matters necessarily in the big picture-just curious, errr nosy.
Did Mr. H have any kind of relationship with his great grandchildren? I wonder what they were /are told about where he is or what happened? Or is the subject absolutely verboten?

Why does JeM use M as his last name? Was it a legal name change?

Why does AH use H as his last name? If he did legally change his name, wouldn't spouse and children before the fact , have to legally change theirs also?
WHY change your names?
I wonder if Mr. H's children get together for any events, etc now, or is there a distance to their respective relationships with each other.

This stuff has been brought up before, I believe, but still gives me pause.

I don't know about Bob's relationship with his great-grandchildren. Or Georgia's relationship with them before she died.

I believe JeM's name change was legal and the last name he was born with was Fink, which seems to me to be self explaining as to why the name change. Oddly enough, I had a friend when I was young whose last name was Fink and just about the first thing she did when she turned 18 was march herself down to the courthouse and get it legally changed. Children can be incredibly cruel and having Fink as a last name is like handing them torture tools.

As for why AH changed to Harrod, I don't know. I don't know if he was given that as his last name at birth (children do not have to be given either parent's last name) or if he changed it at some point. I do know that in Iowa, it's a fairly common thing to name one or more of the kids after living grandparents or great-grandparents and is frequently viewed as ploy to secure the inheritance.

I had a friend who was the youngest from a large family. His eldest brother was named something like James Edward, after the two grandfathers. My friend's name was Edward James... we joked that his parents were a) out of name creativity by the time he came along and/or b) really gunning for the inheritances.

As for why change a name at all, people have different reasons. I have never changed mine even though I have been married twice. I quite like my name and if either of my husbands had wanted us to have the same last name, they were quite welcome to change their name to mine.

I don't think AH was given either the middle name of Robert or the surname Harrod at birth.

all these things that make us go hmmm

What really, really makes me go hmmm is that the only people who have ever suggested Bob's disappearance could be anything but suspicious seem to be his daughters. The only ones who seem prepared to entertain that idea now, are his daughters. From the 'hoping he'll show up' and 'voluntary missing' listing, to the frankly ridiculous idea Bob might be hiding out in someone's house, or on a tropical island years later. And other laughable notions some have been happy to encourage.

And the 'everything is just a coincidence' theory; the 'dark person' theory; the 'we've pointed fingers there and failed, let's try there now' theory; the 'dubious business partners' theory; the 'avoid mentioning anything to do with Bob's actual disappearance and people will forget he's still missing' strategy. All that, and the glaringly obvious, complete public silence of the male members of Bob's family and the hostility/lethargy towards any activity on Bob's behalf.

That's what makes me go hmmm. I'll eat my proverbial hat and a real one too (as long as it's not leather) if it isn't making OC Cold Case Unit go hmmm too.

I know I wish I could make that cold case unit a meal extremely high in brain feeding nutrients.
Come on you can do it!
Maybe they need to get on WS, heh.

I'm not sure, but the longer a case has been 'dormant' or static, the longer it seems to take for any re-investigation to make solid progress. I suppose because there is a fog of time to work through, where people forget and evidence disappears. There is also the factor of lots of existing documents to go through. That takes so much time. Especially if a person doesn't know exactly what they are looking for, but just knows they will know it when they see it.

Given that the Cold Case Unit will be dealing with lots of cases, it's doubtful if anyone is able to spend even a whole day at a time working on Bob's case. So....it is going to take time. No doubt. I just hope Bob's case will get under the skin of an investigator, as it has with us. So that he will always be at the back of someone's mind and they'll return to his case again and again, whenever they get the chance. They will find something, I'm sure.

O/T: talking of solid, my house has been stabilized, at last. It's enabled a professional (I took your advice Grainne) to get a look at the structure now. The bad news is, there isn't any. Every supporting beam at first floor level that could go, has gone. It was hanging on air. I don't understand timber-frame houses, for sure. The dog likes it though, as he can see right through the holes in the wall to outside now.

But that means I must be really lucky because I didn't end up squashed under a houseful of clutter. The dog too. And Mr Z. So we can all spare half to pass on to Bob and Mrs Harrod. That means fifty per cent of the luck of three very lucky people/critters is winging across the stratosphere right now. Hope it lands (gently) right in the lap of an OC investigator.

I know I wish I could make that cold case unit a meal extremely high in brain feeding nutrients.
Come on you can do it!
Maybe they need to get on WS, heh.

That sounds like something people feed those huge 'ornamental' fish. Koi? Not sure of the name, but one mistook my dog's nose for a tasty treat once, and came out of the water hanging on the end of it. I can't say who was most surprised, but both their faces were a picture.

(whispers we think 'we' are , umm pondering mightily? Imagine them- shaking heads and mumbling fubar and other assorted sundries under their breath)

Glad you are all ok, zwie'.

Thinking about OC's work on Bob's case. I wonder how many people they have reinterviewed and if all agreed to come in, or not.....

Praying this case is both solved and Bob comes home soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Little boston