CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw her son only from a distance going into and out of Bob's house. He looked like he was late teens or early twenties. I did not know it was her son until Bob told me. She had given Bob a cell phone to use when he called Fontelle. Her son had gone over to show him how to use it. That was what Bob told me. This was all before Fontelle had come out to CA the first time.

Yeah - I remember thinking excavation = backhoe = burying.

I agree about the daughters and Fontelle fighting so openly for the assets. It makes them all look greedy and guilty, IMO.

I've asked before, if the daughters had anything to do with their father's disappearance, why would they be bad-mouthing him on the Internet? That's like, the opposite of what I would expect.

I have always thought it was possible Bob had added the hairdresser to his will and she knew it. BUT, his being "missing" and not technically "deceased" doesn't help her or anyone else we know about. So, I'm not sure how any of them expected to benefit any time soon.

I did not mean to imply in my pp any of the 5 'fighting' about money made them look guilty. If anything making the financial issues public and pretty transparent makes them look NOT guilty. If they were going to get rid of Bob for money, they would not be publically talking about the financial issues AFTER his disappearance. They would be downplaying it......

Quote from my pp.

Is it possible the hairdresser had Bob sign something over to her, or add her to his will or something legal without their knowledge?

It occured to me, perhaps the hairdresser DOES have something, paper work that NO ONE knows about that is signed and legal documentation that only SHE has. That Bob trusted her with it for safe keeping, or she somehow convinced Bob to let her keep it for safe keeping.
That once Bob is declared deceased she will be running to the court waving paper in hand to collect her piece of the pie. I'd like to know if she has been dropping hints or asking in a round about way if Bob will be declared deceased or what will happen with his assets if Bob is not found. IMO, it would be interesting to know.......

ETA: Refresh my memory. What do the three daughters think of the hair dresser? Were charges of any kind ever filed against the hair dresser by the daughters? Is the hair dresser in contact with any of Bobs family members or close friends who would have inside information other than Fontelle. I'm concerned with Fontelle sharing info with the hair dresser which would not be in anyones best interest to be sharing with the hd.

JMO

<snipped>
. If anything making the financial issues public and pretty transparent makes them look NOT guilty. If they were going to get rid of Bob for money, they would not be publically talking about the financial issues AFTER his disappearance. They would be downplaying it......

IMO, making those horribly disparaging comments about Bob... he was tight-fisted, cheap, unfeeling about their mother's care, was a way to lessen his value to the public. Why would people care to find a stingy, cross, cold old man?

<snipped>
. If anything making the financial issues public and pretty transparent makes them look NOT guilty. If they were going to get rid of Bob for money, they would not be publically talking about the financial issues AFTER his disappearance. They would be downplaying it......

IMO, making those horribly disparaging comments about Bob... he was tight-fisted, cheap, unfeeling about their mother's care, was a way to lessen his value to the public. Why would people care to find a stingy, cross, cold old man?

Yes, but........ and think of it this way. Could they have done so because they KNEW it would keep people talking about their dads case? Reverse psychology kind of thing.

MOO

ETA: Not everyone would agree with Bob being a stingy, cross, cold old man. Lots of media stories showed differently. This COULD have been a strategy by the daughters to keep people talking about the case long after media quit printig it. The internet is a might thing..... Here we are STILL talking about it a year later. If Bobs daughters had NOT posted what they did, would Bobs case still be discussed or buried pages into this forum with few posts?

jmo

Does anyone know if this hairdresser was friends with Bob before his wife died? OR is she an opportunist who befriended the wealthy old man after he lost his wife?

jmo

<snipped>

That was my exact thought when I read their posts. Also, they put forth the cold feet theory.

They also posted that their father should come home and "face up to what this is all about." As if he ran away. They posted that perhaps he did not want to be tied down. That he took off with no explanation two days before Fontelle returned.

They told Mr. Harrod to "come home and take care of your own affairs and YOUR WIFE!!!"

Does anyone know if this hairdresser was friends with Bob before his wife died? OR is she an opportunist who befriended the wealthy old man after he lost his wife?

jmo

According to Paul, she was Mrs. Harrod's hairdresser before she passed away.

That was my exact thought when I read their posts. Also, they put forth the cold feet theory.

They also posted that their father should come home and "face up to what this is all about." As if he ran away. They posted that perhaps he did not want to be tied down. That he took off with no explanation two days before Fontelle returned.

They told Mr. Harrod to "come home and take care of your own affairs and YOUR WIFE!!!"

Thank you Angelo. I came into this case later... and was unaware of that.
It certainly gives me reason to reconsider my previous post and thoughts.

TY

Opportunity: Her shop is very close to Bob's house. All she had to do was drive by. She could have driven by and seen SIL's truck. She knew Bob lived alone and his car was in the garage. Drove by again, or had someone drive by, saw SIL's truck gone. That means either he is alone or he went with SIL. Either way, knocks on the door. Lures Bob out saying she needs him to look at something at the shop. They would be back in just a minutes. Bob grabs his keys, locks the door, and goes with her. Or, Bob is forced in the car with her or whoever is her associate. Bob disappears. House cleaner shows up a 3 and no one is home.

SNIPPED~~~

Paul......Does the hairdresser own her own business or is she employed by someone else?

She was Georgia's (Bob's late wife) hairdresser after they moved to Placentia in 2002. So, yes, she did Bob's hair as well. She would have to come over to the house because Georgia was too ill to go to her shop toward the end of her life.

We don't know if the hairdresser and her husband had an alibi for the day Bob went missing do we?

Do we know if LE searched any of the HD dh's work sites?

Has the house been fully searched?
Crawl space, attic?

I'm thinking of that uid child that was found in the crawl space of a home in Colorado.
Her parents are charged with her murder and her remains were not discovered until the owner of the home had workers doing some rennovations. (her parents were renters.......)

just thinking outloud.

I found her to be unstable when I met her. I did not like her from the start. Bob and I had a discussion about her. I gave him my opinion. He apparently did not agree. I have heard he was still "loaning" her money as late as July 2. This was after Bob and Fontelle were married.

Motive: With Bob getting married, Fontelle would probably not allow him to "loan" her any more money.

Opportunity: Her shop is very close to Bob's house. All she had to do was drive by. She could have driven by and seen SIL's truck. She knew Bob lived alone and his car was in the garage. Drove by again, or had someone drive by, saw SIL's truck gone. That means either he is alone or he went with SIL. Either way, knocks on the door. Lures Bob out saying she needs him to look at something at the shop. They would be back in just a minutes. Bob grabs his keys, locks the door, and goes with her. Or, Bob is forced in the car with her or whoever is her associate. Bob disappears. House cleaner shows up a 3 and no one is home.

Ok.. a couple of observations:

If Fontelle knows Bob has been loaning money, and thinks like everyone else that the hairdresser is taking advantage, and puts a stop to it, why would she be friends with her now? My guess is that Fontelle didn't know anything about the money at all until after Bob disappeared, and the hairdresser was able to give whatever story she wanted (true or false).

I also don't think Bob was 'lured' to any vehicle. At least, not if he is as adamant about wearing his glasses as previous posts have stated. I need to wear contacts, and barring that, glasses.. his weren't simple reading glasses.. which means that he had trouble seeing without them. If you are asking someone to leave their premesis voluntarily, they are going to do so with their glasses, not without them. (Weren't they found on the table in the house?)... so my thought is that he was abducted at gunpoint, or forced with a weapon. Considering his ability to accept your talk about the hairdresser, and then agree to disagree, I don't think Bob would have had a problem fighting someone otherwise.. he might not win due to his age, but I bet he would have tried. With a weapon, however, he may not have had a chance to. The other possibility is that he was knocked out in some way before being taken.

What I think they need to do is make a really big deal out of the location, and see if ANYONE saw ANYTHING unusual outside his house that day. Someone driving by seeing a construction van/truck, for instance.. Also, check the construction company's mileage records. MOST companies with vehicles will keep track of mileage on them for tax purposes.. if, suddenly, one day is missing, that's suspicious.. Also, check to see when and where their cell phones pinged that day (the hairdresser and the husband)

I don't think this was as easy as convincing him to come with someone.. he was MADE to leave in some way.. or the glasses wouldn't be left behind.

I'm with most of you. The hairdresser and husband are the most likely at this point. I'd probably focus a big leg of the investigation on them.

Has anyone figured out who she and her husband are? If so, those names COULD be helpful in finding out more about them....

Paul:
IMO, R called you to do damage control and to get information. I read the threat from P - people can be criminally or civilly prosecuted for threats like this. R used to work for a police department and would know this. It’s not for me to forgive but I certainly won’t forget.

I’m wondering why the 50-something year old daughters are on this board monitoring and being so worried about what‘s being said concerning them? I would think it would be more productive for them to update the Facebook and Myspace pages setup for Bob last year and turned over to them, that don‘t have a single update. Or talking to the media to get the word out. Or holding a vigil. Or offering a reward. Or organizing a search. I wish they would be as focused about those things, yet I see many filings by them on the trust proceedings and conservatorship. How much work and time went into that? One of them posted last year on the IS board that the trust was not their concern and had nothing to do with locating their dad - 1st find dad; 2nd he will handle those matters upon his return. What happened to that idea? Couldn’t both things be done at the same time?

Of course R said SIL (her sister’s husband) is a good man. He might very well be but it doesn’t mean he wasn’t responsible for a horrible act. I’m looking at all events leading up to Bob’s disappearance, each person‘s possible state of mind, motive, means, and opportunity, and the events and actions that occurred after. That leads me to a certain place for now.

PPD didn’t treat Bob’s house as a potential crime scene and bought the story “someone” told them in the first 3 days about Bob having cold feet. Loomis said in an article they didn’t ramp up a serious investigation (not that it was ever treated seriously) in hopes he would come home Wednesday, and that she talked to Fontelle at length Wed night after Fontelle returned from MO. My speculation is that this is when Fontelle told Loomis about the phone call with Bob Sunday night where he told her that his daughters became upset when he told them he planned to include Fontelle in the estate. By that time, there had been a houskeeper that cleaned, the SIL had hours in that house after his return from Home Depot, and the SIL’s wife J and other two daughters were in the house in the days following.

You are entitled to your opinion and your insight is appreciated, just like everyone else on this board. I just have a different opinion.

About the shop, I honestly do not know. The day I went down there to look at her truck, she was the only one there. I do not know if she rents a seat or is the manager or the owner. I never asked.

The houses are built on concrete slabs. And, yes the attic and area around the house were searched. The lots are only about a total of 7,000 square feet. And the house is around 2,000.

I like the way Basic thinks. So I will try to answer best I can:

She knew about the money. We all knew. I just did not know how much. As far as friends today, maybe she has convinced Fontelle of her innocence. I honestly do not know. She believes the hairdresser is innocent. I told her I do not agree and to be careful. I do not trust her at all. She may be trying to get in Fontelle's good graces for a chance at more money. I do not know.

As to Bob being lured, I agree. But, there is no sign of struggle within the house. No one has reported seeing anything. That was why I believe he might have been lured with a false emergency or something.

If it was someone besides the hairdresser such as husband or associate, they would not be dumb enough to drive a commercial vehicle down a residential street. The, again, people have home improvements, plumbers, HVAC, and other services. Since SIL was working at the house, a commercial vehicle may not have looked out of place to anyone if they saw it. Also, if they did see it, they would have reported it by now.

I do know her name, but for the sake of this forum, I have been asked not to use it. Out of respect to the owners and the moderators, I do not.

We don't know if the hairdresser and her husband had an alibi for the day Bob went missing do we?
[snipped]

As we know, the male lead detective Dreamweaver spoke to this past Monday said no one has been cleared. I emailed Adam Townsend and asked him if he got the below directly from the PPD or not (most likely Corinne Loomis, as he quotes her a lot in the article). I didn’t hear back from him yet.

This is the info I have on it.

Vanished: Millionaire newlywed, 81, still missing
By ADAM TOWNSEND
The Orange County Register
Published: Oct. 8, 2009

[snipped]

There are no suspects, Loomis said. There's not even any evidence of a crime.

The three daughters told police initially they suspected Bob Harrod's barber – a woman who attended their mother's funeral in 2008 – of some connection with the disappearance. Police have cleared the barber and her husband of any connection with the case.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-214111--.html

A love story turned mystery
By Paloma Esquivel
LA Times
Published Feb 2, 2010

[snipped]

Police have looked at flight and phone records, bank statements, address books and more to figure out what happened -- to no avail. They're now treating the case as a possible homicide.

They have worked to nail down alibis for the people around him. The younger woman with whom Bob had a friendship has a solid alibi. Michaels, reportedly the last person to have seen Bob, has receipts verifying he was at Home Depot around the time he said he was, police say.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03,0,7717364,full.story

[snipped]

As we know, the male lead detective Dreamweaver spoke to this past Monday said no one has been cleared. I emailed Adam Townsend and asked him if he got the below directly from the PPD or not (most likely Corinne Loomis, as he quotes her a lot in the article). I didn’t hear back from him yet.

This is the info I have on it.

Vanished: Millionaire newlywed, 81, still missing
By ADAM TOWNSEND
The Orange County Register
Published: Oct. 8, 2009

[snipped]

There are no suspects, Loomis said. There's not even any evidence of a crime.

The three daughters told police initially they suspected Bob Harrod's barber – a woman who attended their mother's funeral in 2008 – of some connection with the disappearance. Police have cleared the barber and her husband of any connection with the case.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-214111--.html

A love story turned mystery
By Paloma Esquivel
LA Times
Published Feb 2, 2010

[snipped]

Police have looked at flight and phone records, bank statements, address books and more to figure out what happened -- to no avail. They're now treating the case as a possible homicide.

They have worked to nail down alibis for the people around him. The younger woman with whom Bob had a friendship has a solid alibi. Michaels, reportedly the last person to have seen Bob, has receipts verifying he was at Home Depot around the time he said he was, police say.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03,0,7717364,full.story

I emailed Adam Thompson as well on 7/27/10. I have not received any answer either.
I am beginning to think he no longer works there.
I am thinking I should send an email to the editor.
Or I could call and see who might be handling a news article about/for Robert Harrod.

Help me with this thought... Paul has told us (thank you for your insight and help, Paul!) that Bob never went anywhere without his glasses.

WHY do you think he had them off??? Struggle, they got knocked off, and someone put them on the table? (They were found on the table??)

Paul... did you ever see him without them? Did he take them off frequently to rub his eyes, lay them down for a bit.. or was it more like every time you saw Bob.. he had them on?
thanks

I did not mean to imply in my pp any of the 5 'fighting' about money made them look guilty. If anything making the financial issues public and pretty transparent makes them look NOT guilty. If they were going to get rid of Bob for money, they would not be publically talking about the financial issues AFTER his disappearance. They would be downplaying it......

Quote from my pp.

It occured to me, perhaps the hairdresser DOES have something, paper work that NO ONE knows about that is signed and legal documentation that only SHE has. That Bob trusted her with it for safe keeping, or she somehow convinced Bob to let her keep it for safe keeping.
That once Bob is declared deceased she will be running to the court waving paper in hand to collect her piece of the pie. I'd like to know if she has been dropping hints or asking in a round about way if Bob will be declared deceased or what will happen with his assets if Bob is not found. IMO, it would be interesting to know.......

ETA: Refresh my memory. What do the three daughters think of the hair dresser? Were charges of any kind ever filed against the hair dresser by the daughters? Is the hair dresser in contact with any of Bobs family members or close friends who would have inside information other than Fontelle. I'm concerned with Fontelle sharing info with the hair dresser which would not be in anyones best interest to be sharing with the hd.

JMO

The three daughters felt the hairdresser was taking advantage of their dad. They asked CA Protectives Services for the Elderly, (sorry don't know the official CA name) to check into the situation.
Protective Services had either been out or talked with Robert Harrod once and he did not want them coming around.
But, they were due to come out on that Wed., July 28, 2009 for a home visit. That case worker arrived that afternoon.
And of course, Robert Harrod was missing.

Help me with this thought... Paul has told us (thank you for your insight and help, Paul!) that Bob never went anywhere without his glasses.

WHY do you think he had them off??? Struggle, they got knocked off, and someone put them on the table? (They were found on the table??)

Paul... did you ever see him without them? Did he take them off frequently to rub his eyes, lay them down for a bit.. or was it more like every time you saw Bob.. he had them on?
thanks

I am trying to remember correctly, but I think Robert had more than one pair of eye glasses.
Also, there was a picture in a news article of the eye glasses on the table and they look like they were placed there, ear pieces folded in..
at least that is what I think I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic