CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question: On August 19th, 2009, daughter J posted that they (the grandchildren and sister-in-law were mentioned) were going to put up fliers and ribbons in the area, with the ribbons going around trees. She finished off what sounded like sincere concern for her missing father by mentioning that they had been locked out of Bob's house, and had been treated like they don't exist as his daughters. Weird to include that in the message, but the behaviour in general has been extremely peculiar.

Anyway, back to my question: Did the family ever do these things? Put up fliers and ribbons?

ETA: Despite all the deleting, they don't seem to understand what cached means.

• In Sep 2008, daughter J posts that she was not looking for work. That decorating and fixing their home is her job these days.
  • In Oct 2008, daughter J posts that her hubby is on a “sabbatical.”
  • In Dec 2008, daughter J posts “now within our 3 years here now we have painted the exterior, new roof, new sitting room upstairs with skylights and all kinds of changes are happening. Still need to drop stairs down to the basement which will add another 1,000 sq ft of living space (like the two of us really need it), it will be our home theater and game area!”
  • In Apr 2009, J posted her husband J was laid off.
  • I believe daughter J has a Mercedes SUV and her husband has a newer Honda truck.
I’m wondering, if daughter J hadn’t worked in years and her husband J doesn’t seem to have had steady employment (at least not in the last few years), were finances tight in 2009?

Also, does anyone know if the other two daughters have jobs, or is everyone on a sabbatical?

http://rimoftheworld.net/discuss/196/40035?page=2
http://rimoftheworld.net/discuss/196/41655
http://rimoftheworld.net/discuss/166/4013?page=4524
http://rimoftheworld.net/discuss/180/50376

BBM

Finances seemed to be tight as of April 22nd, 2009, as J mentioned her husband had been laid off the day before, and that oils for her art class were too expensive, so she was asking about where to find affordable supplies.

Google this exact url, and click on the cache : http://rimoftheworld.net/discuss/180/50376

ETA: When you copy the url into the Google search bar, remove the "http://" portion and put the rest of the link in quotation marks. I haven't tried all of them, yet, but I'm sure if you have the direct links to specific postings that have been removed, you can find it all in the cache.

Quick question: On August 19th, 2009, daughter J posted that they (the grandchildren and sister-in-law were mentioned) were going to put up fliers and ribbons in the area, with the ribbons going around trees. She finished off what sounded like sincere concern for her missing father by mentioning that they had been locked out of Bob's house, and had been treated like they don't exist as his daughters. Weird to include that in the message, but the behaviour in general has been extremely peculiar.

Anyway, back to my question: Did the family ever do these things? Put up fliers and ribbons?

ETA: Despite all the deleting, they don't seem to understand what cached means.

I think it depends on what side you listen as to what happened-I have heard that the daughters put up fliers and ribbons via the same post that you just alluded to. I have also heard that Fontelle and family took care of the payment of the flyers in conjuction with a donation made by the company that created them. Truly a he said she said-BUT, a win for Bob regardless of who was ultimately responsible. :)

I think it depends on what side you listen as to what happened-I have heard that the daughters put up fliers and ribbons via the same post that you just alluded to. I have also heard that Fontelle and family took care of the payment of the flyers in conjuction with a donation made by the company that created them. Truly a he said she said-BUT, a win for Bob regardless of who was ultimately responsible. :)

That's true. Any step toward raising awareness about Bob's disappearance, and finding him, is good. I had doubts about whether or not this happened, due to the behaviour we're seeing.

BBM

Yes, but dont forget that (according to the daughters) the fliers were TORN DOWN in front of Bob's house!:innocent:

Yeah-I remember that part Suzy, but had a hard time reconciling why that would be done.

Here is a question-what are the chances there were cameras on the exterior of any of the houses that might have captured activity that day? I think if there is, PPD likely has the tapes in their possession. It would be interesting to know...on the Steven Koecher case, it has been instrumental and LE were kind enough to release the tapes.

There was a memorable IS post from daughter R on 8 Aug 2010:

"IMHO: It is so sad that we could have done and wanted to do so much more for our father in the early days of the investigation, without the distraction, interferrence (sic), false accusations, intimidation, greed, and unethical dishonesty, that continue to this day."

Let's see...

Distraction: Barber's vehicle allegedly seen driving oddly around Bob's house. Alternate theories, and pointed fingers. Some distracting of the PE and of the public through internet posts.

Interference: Extended access to the crime scene before police investigated, including returning from RS to 'change linens'.

False Accusations: The barber; Bob having dementia; insinuations about Fontelle's family.

Intimidation: Bully-boy tactics towards Fontelle. Second elder abuse investigation. Likely more that has gone beneath the radar because of the nature of intimidation.

Greed: Extraordinary concern for Bob's household effects (whether previously owned by their mother or not). Obvious motivation provided by estate/trust. Greed is clearly a dominant theme.

Unethical Dishonesty: (Funny term, too, when 'dishonesty' should suffice.) Dementia and cold feet theories. Timeline. (Many of the above issues may be included here too.)

Yes, I would agree with daughter R on the general point that it is very sad that these issues have continued to hamper the investigation, but I think she and I likely have different details in mind.

IIRC, Montjoy, on the IS thread someone questioned where the unethical dishonesty occurred or with whom it occurred, but I cannot recall the reply.

Here is a question-what are the chances there were cameras on the exterior of any of the houses that might have captured activity that day? I think if there is, PPD likely has the tapes in their possession. It would be interesting to know...on the Steven Koecher case, it has been instrumental and LE were kind enough to release the tapes.

I have wondered about this too. It would help sort out some timeline issues at the least. I'd be very curious to see the security cameras around Bob's and the Grandson's house.

I would expect that for insurance reasons, many of the homes in Bob's neighborhood would have video setups. (They're much more reasonable now, often being all digital, so it's likely that people have more archived than before too.) And yes, you're right -- in the SK case the police were happy to release the tapes. (I wonder if they are more reluctant to release information like this, which they likely have, if they are more confident that a crime has taken place in a particular place, and if they have a POI (even if not formally identified).)

I wonder if Google Earth could capture security cameras on the surrounding houses?

Footage from security cameras in the area would certainly be a godsend, from the timeline standpoint as well as the question of how certain "disposals" were made! (IE: display case, etc)

I have done a little searching-ADT offers external home security cameras, as do some other companies close to Placentia. Really all it would take would be one pointed down the street or one where a vehicle drove by that was recognizable by make/model and/or plate number. Or someone walking-a pedestrian is a possibility as well.

Access Roads from Google Earth:

Acadia, Goldenrod, and Magnolia Ave. Actually video from any of those streets would likely have captured something.

http://maps.google.com/maps?num=10&...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ8gEwAA

Cameras...........There must have been security cameras along Alta Vista and N. Kraemer. I hope PPD asked for all footage from those cameras. Perhaps the video footage captured a vehicle such as a truck leaving and returning to the area.

Private and business security video would be a big help in establishing who was where at what time.

BBM

Yes, but dont forget that (according to the daughters) the fliers were TORN DOWN in front of Bob's house!:innocent:

Frankly, I would need video footage of the daughters actually posting fliers to believe they actually did it.

What they really wanted the forum readers to believe was that Fontelle, or a member of her family, was tearing down the fliers as they posted them. Unbelievable.

See, video could also narrow down when people responded, even LE for example. Perhaps even video of the next day would show the camera crews arriving for interviews on Tuesday or on Wednesday when Fontelle arrived.

Since there was some discussion regarding the authenticity of some photos of Bob and who they actually depicted, I asked one of our sleuthers to crop the photos to just show the faces:
We have one depicting Bob Harrod and Fontel fishing
We have one depicting Bob Harrod on his wedding day to Georgia.
We have two close-ups from media and missing persons posters

Take a look for yourselves and see what you think

Attachments

• Bobwedding.gif
    Bobwedding.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 15
  • clip_image004.gif
    clip_image004.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 14
  • bh2,jpg.jpg
    bh2,jpg.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 13
  • bh.jpg
    bh.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 13
Since there was some discussion regarding the authenticity of some photos of Bob and who they actually depicted, I asked one of our sleuthers to crop the photos to just show the faces:
We have one depicting Bob Harrod and Fontel fishing
We have one depicting Bob Harrod on his wedding day to Georgia.
We have two close-ups from media and missing persons posters

Take a look for yourselves and see what you think

Thanks. Yep, all Bob. That suggestion was first planted on the old IS thread. Squashed again.

I would LOVE to know the housekeeper's observations of the condition of the house and the SIL's behavior that day. Was she told to stay out of certain rooms or not to perform certain chores that she normally would have?

And what exactly did the SIL buy at Home Depot that day?

So would I!

How did SIL react to finding the housekeeper waiting at the house. If SIL was surprised to see her, then IMO, his whole story of the day is false.

Hopefully the housekeeper has told PPD if she was kept out of any part of the house. If she was, I hope PPD has gone over it with a fine-tooth comb.

(Daughter P)"I called my dad that morning by telephone, he had obviously been getting quite a few phone calls that morning. Then I realized that my BIL was there and I DID hear him say he was going to the "hardware store". My dad responded to him in a favorable way."

I find the wording of this post very strange. Seems to me daughter P is giving the SIL an alibi by saying she heard him announce he was going to the hardware store.

Also, why would P state that her father was "obviously been getting quite a few phone calls that morning?" That is a strange thing to say.

I wonder if someone checked Mr. Harrod's answering machine after he disappeared. (Hopefully no one erased any messages) The times of any messages left would give us a better timeline on when Mr. Harrod disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member