CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for a thoughtful post fran! Bob's DR stated he did not suffer from any form of dementia. It may well have been Bob's grief that caused him to request a sebbatical from his daughters that apparently included Christmas, because I believe that at least one delivered Christmas presents to him substantially after the holiday.

I can see where the family being distraught might have caused them to be off a little on the timeline, but there are some wild swinging discrepancies. Oh well.

I do agree that if it were my family member, I would be constantly searching and all we can do is assist in drawing attention to the facts of the case in the hopes that we can help in retrieving Bob if he is unable to speak for himself.

I am glad we are being helpful if the family is cleaning up some of the discrepancies or confusion surrounding their online campaign.

I think that has been one way this conversation has been useful, for sure. I would hope also that perhaps LE has had some food for thought, and that investigative report programs that focus on true crime or missing persons would want to share this rich, engaging story with their viewers.

In the same vein as clearing up discrepancies, etc., I am still wondering about a reward for Bob. We remember reading that the daughters filed for conservatorship to gain control of their father's assets some time back, and RB "said they brought the matter to court because they wanted to free up some of the money to offer a reward for information leading to Bob Harrod's whereabouts, as well as money to pay for bills and maintenance at the house." ( http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-214111--.html ) I've used every search engine I could think of, and I still don't see any evidence of a reward. Now, perhaps it is the case that the terms of the conservatorship limits how funds can be used. Notwithstanding, after all of this time, could not the daughters have pooled resources and efforts to provide even a nominal reward? How about appealing to some of Bob's friends, Lodge members, business associates? I've seen some people of pretty modest means put together rewards in the past. Why not here?

And if I'm mistaken, and there is a reward offered, I am happy to be wrong. (But even then -- I think that if there is a reward, they have done an inadequate job of publicizing it, if an internet search yields nothing.)

Thank you for a thoughtful post fran! Bob's DR stated he did not suffer from any form of dementia. It may well have been Bob's grief that caused him to request a sebbatical from his daughters that apparently included Christmas, because I believe that at least one delivered Christmas presents to him substantially after the holiday.

I can see where the family being distraught might have caused them to be off a little on the timeline, but there are some wild swinging discrepancies. Oh well.

I do agree that if it were my family member, I would be constantly searching and all we can do is assist in drawing attention to the facts of the case in the hopes that we can help in retrieving Bob if he is unable to speak for himself.

BBM, I agree. I imagine something like this happening with regards to the timeline. I can see the daughters initially thinking they called at a certain time and were off on that time...... but once the SIL came home and they asked him WHY wasn't any of that cleared up? If a time was forgotten was there no TV on? Heck, most people have TV on, even if just for background noise and may recall seeing the lunchtime news, or a recall that a certain program was airing - which could help narrow a timeline.

I have seen NO attempt from the daughters or SIL to clear up these descrepancies even though the DILs had months and months, and were still posting at IS a year after Bob went missing. No evidence at all from them that even ACKNOWLEDGES the timeline discrepancies.... they seemed to 'fly right past those posts or comments on various forums' and why they would choose to seemingly ignore those comments or questions is alarming. I can only think of one logical reason for them to ignore the timeline discrepancies and that spells involvement for me. Say too much and their words might come back to haunt them so to speak. - Ones lies and contradicting words could very likely come back to bite them so just say as little as posible I guess......

Of course the 'lip service' to offering a reward is alarming as well. Even if the reward money did not come from the trust, no efforts or attempts for fundraising events.... when a google search shows these daughters do in fact have community involvement..... Perhaps they are too busy with other activities and social events to make offering a reward for their missing father a priority.

JMO

Any news on the push for national media attention the Bobs case?

I agree that that investigative report programs that focus on true crime or missing persons would want to share this rich, engaging story with their viewers. There is definately enough interesting dilema's and contradictions etc. etc. to air Bobs story.
Hoping we get some positive news regarding such soon!

Another thing that I find rather alarming. The 'suspicious black car lurking the neighborhood' the afternoon Bob went missing. ...While summer break was occuring in a neighborhood full of children playing, riding bikes, skateboarding etc. etc... including Bobs own great grandchildren- SIL's grandchildren, a suspicious car is seen and no one thought it suspicious enough to call LE immediately?

In all likelyhood an initial immediate response to a suspicious vehicle slowing driving through a neighborhood would not be about a possible abduction of an 81 yr old man, but for concern for the children in the neighborhood.... So why then was this an afterthought until many many hours later, unless it was after so many hours of considering a plan concocted with the intention to set someone up to blame the responsibility for Bobs disappearance.

JMO

Oh, c'mon Cubby, you didn't find the 'suspicious car' that looked like their (since cleared) POI's to be an amusing bit of fiction? (The language one of his daughters used was 'the type of car that the POI drives' -- how nice, they're leaving some detective work there for the LE! Good recall on the part of the SiL to identify it as his FiL's barber's vehicle type! Too bad his memory wasn't as good about the timeline.) It's especially telling since the person who they were trying to pin it on has been cleared. If they hadn't had her as a scapegoat, I wonder if the SiL would have seen some guys wearing Al-Qaeda t-shirts or something? JMO.

September 2, 2009 : Daughter J posted on ROTW that she and her husband were giving away a Beautiful Oak Display Case 11 ft. L x 3 ft W x 4 1/2 ft tall.

On September 3, 2009, daughter J posts a long explanation pertaining to why they want the case picked up instead of them delivering it. She says the case is easy to move, but they are just tired of moving stuff and would rather have someone pick it up. J goes on to say that the last time they gave stuff away in bulk her husband ended up having to drive to the far side of Big Bear (with no thanks), hence her reason to offer the case as a pick up only. J also tells the forum that to move the cabinet only took 2 guys.

On September 4, 2009, daughter J bumps up the post.

The posts have now been deleted from ROTW. I wonder why.

http://www.rimoftheworld.net/discuss/194/55175

Interesting that all of J's posts regarding the display case except the last one have been deleted (the display case is gone!), while the responses to her by other posters are still there. Selective deleting.

Any news on the push for national media attention the Bobs case?

I agree that that investigative report programs that focus on true crime or missing persons would want to share this rich, engaging story with their viewers. There is definately enough interesting dilema's and contradictions etc. etc. to air Bobs story.
Hoping we get some positive news regarding such soon!

I have been playing phone and email tag with a producer. He has been out shooting in the field, so it is tough to reach him during business hours!

Interesting that all of J's posts regarding the display case except the last one have been deleted (the display case is gone!), while the responses to her by other posters are still there. Selective deleting.

If she is reading here, she might appreciate the suggestion and clean that up too. Fortunately we have screen shots if it is necessary at any point in the future!

Oh, c'mon Cubby, you didn't find the 'suspicious car' that looked like their (since cleared) POI's to be an amusing bit of fiction? (The language one of his daughters used was 'the type of car that the POI drives' -- how nice, they're leaving some detective work there for the LE! Good recall on the part of the SiL to identify it as his FiL's barber's vehicle type! Too bad his memory wasn't as good about the timeline.) It's especially telling since the person who they were trying to pin it on has been cleared. If they hadn't had her as a scapegoat, I wonder if the SiL would have seen some guys wearing Al-Qaeda t-shirts or something? JMO.

Equally disturbing was the daughters use of the term "POI" when referring to the hairdresser. They also called her "the black widow."

"a woman who kills her husband(s)."

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/black+widow

I am going to write and call AMW next-they have most of the case information because of the prior info they put up I would think...perhaps a full blown story would actually tease out items that might be of interest to police...anything that might have been replaced inside the home and what not. Items that are listed as missing...who knows who might have picked up a set of keys, a hat, some glasses (or not) and a wallet???

BBM, I agree. I imagine something like this happening with regards to the timeline. I can see the daughters initially thinking they called at a certain time and were off on that time...... but once the SIL came home and they asked him WHY wasn't any of that cleared up? If a time was forgotten was there no TV on? Heck, most people have TV on, even if just for background noise and may recall seeing the lunchtime news, or a recall that a certain program was airing - which could help narrow a timeline.

I have seen NO attempt from the daughters or SIL to clear up these descrepancies even though the DILs had months and months, and were still posting at IS a year after Bob went missing. No evidence at all from them that even ACKNOWLEDGES the timeline discrepancies.... they seemed to 'fly right past those posts or comments on various forums' and why they would choose to seemingly ignore those comments or questions is alarming. I can only think of one logical reason for them to ignore the timeline discrepancies and that spells involvement for me. Say too much and their words might come back to haunt them so to speak. - Ones lies and contradicting words could very likely come back to bite them so just say as little as posible I guess......

Of course the 'lip service' to offering a reward is alarming as well. Even if the reward money did not come from the trust, no efforts or attempts for fundraising events.... when a google search shows these daughters do in fact have community involvement..... Perhaps they are too busy with other activities and social events to make offering a reward for their missing father a priority.

JMO

We also need to take into account that the daughters have taken the opportunity to correct other descrepancies which they must consider important.

An example would be the heated Sunday meeting. Daughter R posted on another forum that she needed to "clarify the facts" about the meeting. R then writes that they did NOT argue over money.

R also writes about the timeline on Sunday. She posts that the meeting began about noon and lasted about two hours, and they were all long gone by about 2pm.

I wish the daughters and SIL would take the time to clarify the facts and timeline on the day Mr. Harrod went missing.

I wish the daughters and SIL would take the time to clarify the facts and timeline on the day Mr. Harrod went missing.

<snipped>

IMHO it is in their best interests to keep that timeline as ambiguous as possible. Afterall, there are so many different timelines on all the different boards and sites. Keeping it open like that would allow for any explanation SIL might need to account for his whereabouts that day. By the time all the evidence(ie: receipts,eyewitness accounts, etc) has been gathered and publicized by LE, I have a feeling the timeline will be streamlined.

I honestly wouldn't read too much into the difference of time. You're talking about various family members and such. When you don't realize you are going to be asked the course of your day, it's difficult to be that specific. Then when someone else is trying to explain the same event and they weren't there at the time, their timing might vary a bit. Now that so long has elapsed, memories fade.

I just say this because I once had to answer LE questions and specific times. Seriously, at the time I was distraught and couldn't recall. I know it sounds dumb now, but all I could think of was the lighting, 'sun down, but not dark' and I looked at the clock trying to figure out how long I'd been gone. Of course, I did have proof, I realize now, a number of receipts and phone records, but it was never necessary for them to check. It's been three years since I was in that position and I still can't remember specific times and it was a day that changed my life.

Although the family has had time to reflect and go over everything in their mind, this has also been a stressful time for them as well. I'm sure they're very frustrated and it seems NOTHING is being resolved. I honestly have empathy for them, I do.

I do not think it's necessarily unusual that the sil left before Mr. Harrod returned. He may have been frustrated and just wanted to get home. He could have thought his fil was being forgetful or just onry. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, LOL, I just know older people can get set in their ways and do things like that. They also get forgetful and he may have assumed Mr. Herrod FORGOT he'd made arrangements for the cleaning lady.

I know my late fil, after my mil passed away, he was angry and hurt and he took it out on us by not wanting to see us, especially on holidays. Thankfully it only lasted for about a year, but we lived only a few blocks away, so we watched over him from a distance.

Anyway, the sil had a long distance to go home and in that traffic, it could be a grueling drive.

OTOH, not pointing towards anyone specifically, but there are a LOT of areas close to Placentia where someone could dispose of a body and it would be hard to find. When a victim from Anaheim went missing, her family thought she might be in an area where she and her husband used to camp. That's where they looked. But she was found on a lonely, desolate area of South OC, a year or two or three(?) later.:( So, at first there was no proof she was dead and by the time they found her, her, ehhhh hubby had split and her case is still unsolved.

I don't know what happened to this gentleman, but I'm frustrated by his case and I don't even know anyone involved. It's like all roads lead to nowhere. But we still have a man missing without a trace and a family at odds with each other. :(

JMHO
fran

PS.....IF it were any of my relatives, I'd be out looking for them!

Great to "see" you Fran! I thank you for sharing your POV. Oftentimes, when following these cases, I wonder if I could truly account for every hour, in detail, of my day. Most days, I couldn't even tell you what I had for lunch yesterday! I can only hope that, if someone in my life went missing, I would have better recall than I normally do!

Do we really know if the family has cleared up the finer points of the timeline with LE? I'm not sure the public is privvy to that info.

I, too, would be out looking for a family member. Or even a total stranger, if possible.

I am going to write and call AMW next-they have most of the case information because of the prior info they put up I would think...perhaps a full blown story would actually tease out items that might be of interest to police...anything that might have been replaced inside the home and what not. Items that are listed as missing...who knows who might have picked up a set of keys, a hat, some glasses (or not) and a wallet???

AMW: The last time I worked with them, the requirements for a story idea was daunting.
As I remember it, all has to be submitted by snail mail.
They stated about a six week wait.
I thought it seemed strange in this day and age of
emails.
Even an outline that a person fills in with basic info and links would be a good idea, followed by more data if AMW feels it will air a story....

I took a look at Nancy Grace's new show, website,
Swift Justice with Nancy Grace
It appears it might not be right for a missing person case.
http://www.swiftjustice.com/submit_your_case

Perhaps whoever is deleting the posts will find they are "a day late and a dollar short."

Great to "see" you Fran! I thank you for sharing your POV. Oftentimes, when following these cases, I wonder if I could truly account for every hour, in detail, of my day. Most days, I couldn't even tell you what I had for lunch yesterday! I can only hope that, if someone in my life went missing, I would have better recall than I normally do!

Do we really know if the family has cleared up the finer points of the timeline with LE? I'm not sure the public is privvy to that info.

I, too, would be out looking for a family member. Or even a total stranger, if possible.

FWIW, I can't recall a missing persons case where the time line was not important enough for LE or family to clarify discrepancies. Now a case which has moved to homicide - as pp - then perhaps there might be a reason to keep the time line quiet. Still doesn't make sense. I mean if the crime happened at say 2pm why put out and leave with the public it happened at 11 or noon? Unless someone is trying to limit those who might remembered what they saw at 2 because the info put out there to focus on a non relevent time.

I can't think of any missing persons case or crime where the timeline was un-important info.

JMO

FWIW, I can't recall a missing persons case where the time line was not important enough for LE or family to clarify discrepancies. Now a case which has moved to homicide - as pp - then perhaps there might be a reason to keep the time line quiet. Still doesn't make sense. I mean if the crime happened at say 2pm why put out and leave with the public it happened at 11 or noon? Unless someone is trying to limit those who might remembered what they saw at 2 because the info put out there to focus on a non relevent time.

I can't think of any missing persons case or crime where the timeline was un-important info.

JMO

Well, I can't speak for LE, but I have to disagree. I just went through ALL the missing women in MO working on another case last night and I was truly floored by how many were termed "few details available." It's alarming how so few people have any details about the missing.

In Bob's case, it's obvious that the SIL was the last person to see him. Being married to a MAN and the mother of a SON, it does not raise my hinky meter to hear the SIL doesn't recall what Bob was wearing or when he left the home. In my world, men don't notice those things. My DH cannot even remember anyone's name, but that doesn't make him a murderer!

JMO, I think that the variations in/evolution of the timeline is significant, and seeks to confuse issues. I'm not sure what the intent was -- to make it seem like there was a larger window of time in which Bob could have been abducted by (or left voluntarily with) a stranger? To make it seem that there was not enough time to kill Bob and dispose of a body? Just to make crucial information unreliable? But all that aside, I think the main points in time that are significant are: last phone call from a non-family member at 10AM, purchase from HD at 3:05PM, return to Bob's house at ~3:30PM. I think it was telling that daughter J said (on camera) that she thought Bob had disappeared between 12-1 -- it makes me think that perhaps she is confusing when Bob was murdered with when the SiL left for the HD -- but in a way, it doesn't really matter if the SiL left for HD one, two, or three hours before he made his purchase. There was ample time between 10AM and then for someone to do pretty much anything. This window of time becomes increasingly significant when foul play by a stranger (or by his barber) has been ruled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member