GUILTY CA - Brad, 57, & Andra Sachs, 54, slain, 8yo injured, San Juan Capistrano, 9 Feb 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow. The NG transcript says Ashton was with the younger siblings when arrested, so I guess that means the 17 year old sister he allegedly tried to shoot, and applied for guardianship of.

That's frightening.

I really don't know what to make of it. Police say money's not a motive, and Ashton has a public defender because he has no money.

Yet on NG, Monte Burghardt speaks of how all the children are well provided for, with properties set up in Llcs?

To be honest, I'm a little wary of Mr Burghardt who seems to have taken center stage in this case for reasons I can't quite fathom. But if he is correct about the housewarming, and an 'obnoxious 15/16 year old Ashton 'terrorizing' him with a water bazooka....

Obnoxious behaviour by a teen is really not that unusual, to me. But I would expect a parent and host at any party I attended to put a stop to it quite quickly. I wouldn't expect to spend the party avoiding getting water shot from a great height. It just seems as though Ashton may have been a little indulged, or spoilt?

It may have come hard to him when, just four years ago, Mom adopted a little boy who would obviously require a lot of her attention?

Sorry, read the comments at the bottom of the article from the person named "Iknewher" - they're near the bottom

Post only MSM links. No way of verifying the other information which could be based on rumors.

Thanks, Lambchop

As nearly as I can tell OCWeekly IS a mainstream media news source.

http://www.ocweekly.com/about/index/

About Us

"Published since September 1995, OC Weekly provides readers in Orange County and Long Beach with award-winning news coverage and provocative coverage of arts and entertainment."

and

"The Weekly has also won numerous awards from the Los Angeles Press Club, including that organization's decision in 2007 to honor investigative reporter and "Ask a Mexican" columnist Gustavo Arellano with its prestigious President's Award."

Here is just one of Matt Coker's articles on the Sachs murders.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/03/ashton_colby_sachs_ambush_plan.php

Ashton Colby Sachs Spent Time Planning His Family's Ambush in Upscale SJC: Prosecutor
QBy Matt Coker Tue., Mar. 11 2014 at 7:05 AM

"At Monday's arraignment hearing for Ashton Colby Sachs--the 19-year-old accused of murdering his parents and attempting to murder one of his brothers and one of his sisters in San Juan Capistrano a month earlier--the prosecutor alleged the defendant spent much time planning "a horrendous crime."

"Senior Deputy District Attorney Ebrahim Baytieh also said the shooting spree was not financially motivated, although the prosecutor declined to say much more about motive."

more...

Many articles say the same thing, but it's the comments that are often the most interesting.

Trying to understand what was going on in this young man's mind. I've read many news articles that say it wasn't for financial gain, which would make the most sense in this particular case.

He planned it is what really mystifies me. There's time to stop yourself. Clearly, he was going through something and needed mental help. It must take some kind of deep-seated, growing hatred and resentment to actually plan and carry it out. I really want to understand why. He didn't even live in the same state, but was away at school. Perhaps there was such overbearing control that he felt he would never be able to get away from it and live his own life. It doesn't seem like just one thing, but something that was growing over years, MOO. I don't know really, but I want to understand what happened.

Son had long planned to kill his family, D.A. says
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...aying--20140310,0,1015310.story#axzz2wpAlddd8

Perhaps there was such overbearing control that he felt he would never be able to get away from it and live his own life. It doesn't seem like just one thing, but something that was growing over years, MOO. I don't know really, but I want to understand what happened.

Son had long planned to kill his family, D.A. says
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...aying--20140310,0,1015310.story#axzz2wpAlddd8
(sipped)
I would like to understand the motivation also, I could understand hatred of the parents but why the brother and sisters? He planned to kill them as well.

I'd like to know too. I'm not convinced it wasn't about the money. Also, shouldn't the thread title be updated to add the arrest?

I know what you mean, Colette. Why'd he go after his siblings? Was that part of the plan?

This article was probably posted here back in February. It shows another side to Brad, and gives some insight into the couple. The music video is pretty good too.

Murder Victim's Side Gig: Leading a Chicago Tribute Band
February 11, 2014 at 10:15 PM
http://sanjuancapistrano.patch.com/...ctims-side-job-leading-a-chicago-tribute-band

As nearly as I can tell OCWeekly IS a mainstream media news source.

http://www.ocweekly.com/about/index/

About Us

"Published since September 1995, OC Weekly provides readers in Orange County and Long Beach with award-winning news coverage and provocative coverage of arts and entertainment."

and

"The Weekly has also won numerous awards from the Los Angeles Press Club, including that organization's decision in 2007 to honor investigative reporter and "Ask a Mexican" columnist Gustavo Arellano with its prestigious President's Award."

Here is just one of Matt Coker's articles on the Sachs murders.

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/03/ashton_colby_sachs_ambush_plan.php

Ashton Colby Sachs Spent Time Planning His Family's Ambush in Upscale SJC: Prosecutor
QBy Matt Coker Tue., Mar. 11 2014 at 7:05 AM

"At Monday's arraignment hearing for Ashton Colby Sachs--the 19-year-old accused of murdering his parents and attempting to murder one of his brothers and one of his sisters in San Juan Capistrano a month earlier--the prosecutor alleged the defendant spent much time planning "a horrendous crime."

"Senior Deputy District Attorney Ebrahim Baytieh also said the shooting spree was not financially motivated, although the prosecutor declined to say much more about motive."

more...

Thanks for posting this article, i.b.nora. I forgot there was an older brother. :wave:

Thanks, the Union Tribune article is very interesting, with some tidbits I haven't seen anywhere else.

Such as, the property being in Coronado, that "Hallock said he believed the house had been in escrow shortly before the deaths." (That makes me think of Monte.) And, does that mean they were in the process of buying it, or selling it?

The mention that Ashton had Coronado listed as his residence on Facebook as of March 2. Did he drop out of school?

And, of course the 'more than one motive' comment.

Thanks, the Union Tribune article is very interesting, with some tidbits I haven't seen anywhere else.

Such as, the property being in Coronado, that "Hallock said he believed the house had been in escrow shortly before the deaths." (That makes me think of Monte.) And, does that mean they were in the process of buying it, or selling it?

The mention that Ashton had Coronado listed as his residence on Facebook as of March 2. Did he drop out of school?

And, of course the 'more than one motive' comment.

Here is more on the home in Coronado. It was not purchased through Monte Burghardt but through a realtor in San Diego. I think Monte Burghardt likes to make himself sound more important that he is. JMO

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/03/10/...-murdered-orange-county-couple/#axzz2wrY6qM6b.

This is interesting…Wonder what the motives were??

Quote:
Hallock said investigators believe there may be more than one motive in the slayings, but he said Sachs is the lone suspect.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Mar/07/teen-arrested-coronado-sachs-slayings-parents/.

Here is more on the home in Coronado. It was not purchased through Monte Burghardt but through a realtor in San Diego. I think Monte Burghardt likes to make himself sound more important that he is. JMO

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/03/10/...-murdered-orange-county-couple/#axzz2wrY6qM6b.

Good finds, Nancy. Very interesting, for sure.

To me, this all means something. More than one motive, hmmm....
There's got to be, at least, a tiny bit of a financial motive involved in the premeditation planning, IMOO.

The Fox5 article is a little strange, or else the real estate agent is. She keeps referring to Ashton as 'the eldest son'. He is seeming more and more to me like an odd duck.

With the revelation about the Coronado Cays property, I am wondering if he had previously purchased a gun which he hid in one of the houses in Coronado, then he flew from Seattle to San Diego, rented a car there, drove to the house where he had hidden the gun, drove to Capistrano, murdered the parents and attempted to murder the siblings, drove back to San Diego, hid the gun again and flew back to Seattle?

Remember, the tip came from a family member in San Diego and somehow, as I understood it, led to a finding of the murder weapon, which led to Ashton.

I just don't see him driving for so many hours that day. There was a giant storm that day in Northern California which he would have had to drive through, which at the very least would have added time to an otherwise very very long trip.

The Fox5 article is a little strange, or else the real estate agent is. She keeps referring to Ashton as 'the eldest son'. He is seeming more and more to me like an odd duck.

With the revelation about the Coronado Cays property, I am wondering if he had previously purchased a gun which he hid in one of the houses in Coronado, then he flew from Seattle to San Diego, rented a car there, drove to the house where he had hidden the gun, drove to Capistrano, murdered the parents and attempted to murder the siblings, drove back to San Diego, hid the gun again and flew back to Seattle?

Remember, the tip came from a family member in San Diego and somehow, as I understood it, led to a finding of the murder weapon, which led to Ashton.

I just don't see him driving for so many hours that day. There was a giant storm that day in Northern California which he would have had to drive through, which at the very least would have added time to an otherwise very very long trip.

Ashton has an older brother. I believe that is the person the realtor is referring to.

Ashton has an older brother. I believe that is the person the realtor is referring to.
Well, yes, we know about the older brother. But, it doesn't make sense that she was dealing with the older brother, when the whole article is really about Ashton.

We know from a number of public papers as well as comments from BronxBrawler that Ashton was somewhat involved with management of the properties.

"“He called down from Seattle and they put him on the speaker phone,” said Bohlken."

Ashton was going to school in Seattle. The older brother did not/does not live in nor go to school in Seattle.

Maybe she didn't even know about his actual older brother.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/sachs-604671-couple-county.html.

Police believe Sachs traveled to Orange County from his home in Seattle, where he and his older brother, Myles, were involved in business ventures also linked to his parents, Bradford Hans Sachs, 57, and Andra Sachs, 54.
The suspect entered the home armed with a gun and shot his parents in their bedroom, then went to his 8-year-old brother's room and shot him, according to the District Attorney's Office. He then fired at his 17-year-old sister, missing, before fleeing the home and returning to Seattle, authorities allege.

I missed some information early on. Hope someone will fill me in.

Questions: Did Ashton actually drive a car down from Seattle? Where did he park it to go into the house to commit the crimes? Did he then drive back to Seattle to receive the news of his parent's death?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back