CA CA - Brian Fernandez, 21, & Olivia Gonzalez (dec'd), 20, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am a newbie but think this is a hard balance. With the sister stating that OG was going to end the relationship, and no sign of BF at the crash site, it is reasonable to question things in a delicate and respectful way. We know many women are victims (statistically) of their husband, boyfriend, significant other, etc., so it natural to want to speak up about that possibility and not sweep it under the rug. It is hard to know where that line is but it is so sad that both of these young lives with their canine friends left this earth way too early.

You raise some good points, MichJustice. It is a very hard balance. The statistics are real. When a relationship is troubled, and boyfriend is missing, of course our minds go there. But while it may be natural to want to speak of these things, that's not how it works on victim friendly WS. We can think whatever we want, but we view all parties (including family) as victims until the police say they're not. That's where the line is drawn.

It's not really sweeping an important topic under the rug. It's being compassionate so that our words (that last a long time on the internet) aren't hurtful. I think most of us have crossed that line a time or two (I certainly have) and the mods reel us in and remind us that WS is victim friendly. That commitment to the victims is what makes WS a site that is fair and puts people above sleuthing. I hope that makes sense. :)

And yes, it is especially sad when young people and their pets have their lives cut short. It's awful that this ended so badly. :(

Hm ok foul lay is ruled out but why would the BF be missing then?

I am a newbie but think this is a hard balance. With the sister stating that OG was going to end the relationship, and no sign of BF at the crash site, it is reasonable to question things in a delicate and respectful way. We know many women are victims (statistically) of their husband, boyfriend, significant other, etc., so it natural to want to speak up about that possibility and not sweep it under the rug. It is hard to know where that line is but it is so sad that both of these young lives with their canine friends left this earth way too early.

Nicely put. Thank you for this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, that's true. But what is also true is that the majority of men are not volatile or violent when a relationship ends.

I was in a relationship that I was on the verge of ending for 5 years. My friends quit paying attention when I said I was breaking it off because I kept flip flopping. I did eventually, and they were shocked. Maybe she wanted to sometimes, and other times she wanted to give it one more try. In none of that though, has any friend of hers mentioned him being mean or violent or horrible. Maybe they just weren't a perfect fit. That does not a killer make. He is as much a victim in a horrific accident as she unless there is proof otherwise. And it's super sad because they were both young and beautiful and had people who loved them. I hope he is found so they can also have closure.

I was thinking about their phones. Here's my theory:

Hers went off at 4:00 pm on 12/23. That was when the high tide was coming in, but it only rose to 3.29 ft. at its peak (7:13 pm). The car and Olivia were right at the water line, so it makes sense that the water probably disabled her phone around 4:00 as the water was rising.

His showed usage up to the following Wednesday. The high tide that day was 3.77 ft at its peak (10:44 pm). Tuesday the tide came in higher at 3.70 ft. I have a feeling he is higher up in the rocks, or at least his phone is. Somehow, his Messenger app got tapped and it was just open, until his phone was disabled by the high tides on Wednesday night. JMO

http://www.tides.net/california/2381/?year=2016&month=12

Tides for San Simeon beaches

• Friday, December 23, 2016. Sun 7:11am-4:56pm. high tide 6:09am (5.12ft), low tide 1:12pm (0.87ft), high tide 7:13pm (3.29ft)

• Saturday, December 24, 2016. Sun 7:12am-4:57pm. low tide 12:08am (1.90ft), high tide 6:43am (5.28ft), low tide 1:53pm (0.46ft), high tide 8:08pm (3.39ft)

• Sunday, December 25, 2016. Sun 7:12am-4:57pm. low tide 12:49am (2.11ft), high tide 7:15am (5.43ft), low tide 2:28pm (0.11ft), high tide 8:53pm (3.51ft)

• Monday, December 26, 2016. Sun 7:12am-4:58pm. low tide 1:26am (2.25ft), high tide 7:46am (5.57ft), low tide 3:01pm (-0.17ft), high tide 9:32pm (3.61ft)

• Tuesday, December 27, 2016. Sun 7:13am-4:59pm. low tide 2:01am (2.34ft), high tide 8:16am (5.68ft), low tide 3:33pm (-0.38ft), high tide 10:09pm (3.70ft)

• Wednesday, December 28, 2016. Sun 7:13am-4:59pm. low tide 2:36am (2.39ft), high tide 8:47am (5.74ft), low tide 4:05pm (-0.53ft), high tide 10:44pm (3.77ft)

• Thursday, December 29, 2016. Sun 7:13am-5:00pm. low tide 3:12am (2.44ft), high tide 9:20am (5.74ft), low tide 4:38pm (-0.61ft), high tide 11:20pm (3.83ft)

• Friday, December 30, 2016. Sun 7:14am-5:01pm. low tide 3:49am (2.48ft), high tide 9:53am (5.67ft), low tide 5:11pm (-0.61ft), high tide 11:58pm (3.89ft)

Maybe he was even trying to get help by sending someone a FB message? Messenger is an easy app to tap. But then he was too injured to continue? Just a thought that GigTu's post sparked for me.

I was thinking about their phones. Here's my theory:

Hers went off at 4:00 pm on 12/23. That was when the high tide was coming in, but it only rose to 3.29 ft. at its peak (7:13 pm). The car and Olivia were right at the water line, so it makes sense that the water probably disabled her phone around 4:00 as the water was rising.

His showed usage up to the following Wednesday. The high tide that day was 3.77 ft at its peak (10:44 pm). Tuesday the tide came in higher at 3.70 ft. I have a feeling he is higher up in the rocks, or at least his phone is. Somehow, his Messenger app got tapped and it was just open, until his phone was disabled by the high tides on Wednesday night. JMO

http://www.tides.net/california/2381/?year=2016&month=12

Tides for San Simeon beaches

• Friday, December 23, 2016. Sun 7:11am-4:56pm. high tide 6:09am (5.12ft), low tide 1:12pm (0.87ft), high tide 7:13pm (3.29ft)

• Saturday, December 24, 2016. Sun 7:12am-4:57pm. low tide 12:08am (1.90ft), high tide 6:43am (5.28ft), low tide 1:53pm (0.46ft), high tide 8:08pm (3.39ft)

• Sunday, December 25, 2016. Sun 7:12am-4:57pm. low tide 12:49am (2.11ft), high tide 7:15am (5.43ft), low tide 2:28pm (0.11ft), high tide 8:53pm (3.51ft)

• Monday, December 26, 2016. Sun 7:12am-4:58pm. low tide 1:26am (2.25ft), high tide 7:46am (5.57ft), low tide 3:01pm (-0.17ft), high tide 9:32pm (3.61ft)

• Tuesday, December 27, 2016. Sun 7:13am-4:59pm. low tide 2:01am (2.34ft), high tide 8:16am (5.68ft), low tide 3:33pm (-0.38ft), high tide 10:09pm (3.70ft)

• Wednesday, December 28, 2016. Sun 7:13am-4:59pm. low tide 2:36am (2.39ft), high tide 8:47am (5.74ft), low tide 4:05pm (-0.53ft), high tide 10:44pm (3.77ft)

• Thursday, December 29, 2016. Sun 7:13am-5:00pm. low tide 3:12am (2.44ft), high tide 9:20am (5.74ft), low tide 4:38pm (-0.61ft), high tide 11:20pm (3.83ft)

• Friday, December 30, 2016. Sun 7:14am-5:01pm. low tide 3:49am (2.48ft), high tide 9:53am (5.67ft), low tide 5:11pm (-0.61ft), high tide 11:58pm (3.89ft)

brilliant

Great work, GigTu!! The tides totally make sense. I don't know if this is an alternate possibility without the tide effect, in case his phone was higher than high tide, but how long would a charged cell phone battery last if the phone wasn't used? I'm sure it depends on the phone, but could it last until Wednesday and then shut down?

Do we know if they ever found his phone? It could be wedged between rocks so the tides might not carry it away, whereas they could have carried Bryan away, especially with the storms. I feel so sorry for his family. :(

Great work, GigTu!! The tides totally make sense. I don't know if this is an alternate possibility without the tide effect, in case his phone was higher than high tide, but how long would a charged cell phone battery last if the phone wasn't used? I'm sure it depends on the phone, but could it last until Wednesday and then shut down?

Do we know if they ever found his phone? It could be wedged between rocks so the tides might not carry it away, whereas they could have carried Bryan away, especially with the storms. I feel so sorry for his family. :(

I think you could get more than a couple of days depending on phone/battery type and not using the phone at all, but it would be tough to keep people from calling/texting, background apps running, phone trying to find reception, etc. Mine lasts 3 with very limited usage if I keep it somewhere in the house with reception.

GigTu's tide chart and very smart theory has caused me to go back in the thread to track down the Wednesday FB login story. It was in this article on 12/30...
http://www.dailynews.com/general-ne...-to-find-young-missing-north-hollywood-couple

Olivia's sister...
Guzman said she has heard claims from friends of Fernandez that he logged into social media on Wednesday but was not responding to anyone’s messages “which I find pretty weird.”

From the same article...His Mom last spoke to him at 7:00 a.m 12/23. He said he'd be home for Christmas and any time he's late or plans change he calls her. There was no call regarding Christmas Day.

Fernandez’s mother said her son has not been responding to family members’ phone calls and texts, and it appears his phone is shut off.

Based on what I've discovered about cell phone batteries, I don't think the battery could have lasted until Wednesday, tide or no tide. So, whatever FB login happened on Wednesday, if it did, would have to be from another device by someone who knew his password. Personally, I believe it was just a rumor and that it didn't happen. If someone has LE saying it did, I'll revise my thinking. But it still doesn't mean the login came from his phone.

So, answering the question about whether the cell phone battery could have lasted from Friday to Wednesday...in a word, no, not if it was a smartphone. A flip phone could have lasted, but what kid that age has a flip phone? According to forums I visited where this was addressed, most smart phones being used have to be charged at least every 24 hours or more often with heavy use. Perhaps one not being used could go a little longer. Mine has, but not 4-5 days. But one person pointed out that in an area with a poor cell signal, as they were, the battery would run down faster because it's searching for a signal.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cell-phones-smartphones/2194333-how-long-does-your-phone-battery.html

One way his battery could last is if he was charging his phone in the car and if the car allowed the charging to continue when the car isn't running and if the car battery wasn't destroyed, it's possible the phone battery charge could have lasted until Wednesday. But that's a lot of "ifs." Looking at the condition of the car, it's hard to imagine the phone being intact enough to charge.

My conclusion is that his phone stopped working when they crashed and that the rumored Wednesday login either was done from another device by someone who knew his password, or it didn't happen.
All MOO, JMO

Thoughts? I'm open to other ideas.

Has it been confirmed anywhere if LE or family had been looking at his fb to try to find clues/information? That would explain why people saw his status as "active". I'm having trouble keeping the timeline straight (I'm following a lot of cases right now), so maybe this isn't a possibility, but...if LE was actively trying to figure out what happened, they could have been checking the fb, right? Even if no one had his password, as long as it was logged on somewhere (a computer at home, a laptop, an ipad or other tablet, etc.), then they could have just opened said device and it would appear as though Brian was "active". I know that my facebook is always logged on my laptop and my tablet...anyone who wanted to could just unlock my devices and sneak a peek at my fb.

Has it been confirmed anywhere if LE or family had been looking at his fb to try to find clues/information? That would explain why people saw his status as "active". I'm having trouble keeping the timeline straight (I'm following a lot of cases right now), so maybe this isn't a possibility, but...if LE was actively trying to figure out what happened, they could have been checking the fb, right? Even if no one had his password, as long as it was logged on somewhere (a computer at home, a laptop, an ipad or other tablet, etc.), then they could have just opened said device and it would appear as though Brian was "active". I know that my facebook is always logged on my laptop and my tablet...anyone who wanted to could just unlock my devices and sneak a peek at my fb.
BBM

I haven't heard confirmation that LE or family were looking at his FB, but that could certainly be the origin of what his friends told Olivia's sister. It makes good sense. Thanks.

Lilibet's logic makes sense. But I always remember that extraordinary things do happen, and a random mislogic is possible. Keeping an open mind...

Pretty much, once Olivia was found all updates from LE stopped. They did an investigation to some degree shortly after, enough to verify no foul play took place. To me that means they found evidence in the car that he was in it when it went over. Something too graphic to share publicly. Just speculating however.

Maybe they found his phone, maybe they determined ping history, maybe they learned a relative or roommate of his logged into one of his devices.. Maybe maybe maybe.

I trust LE and if they say no foul play, then we just need to hope he shows up so his family can have closure. :(

Not sure about the tide line goes up to on the rocks compared to where the car landed but could the waves have washed any blood out of the car?Not sur if this is possible just asking because it keeps coming up.

There was NO blood found in the car.

IF the crash occurred shortly after they were in Cambia, they would have been travelling northbound & had to have crossed the southbound lane of oncoming traffic (if there was any traffic) which is merely an observation on my part.

:whistle:

They did cross over. But the area where they went off was a vista point. It wasn't a situation of simply going off the cliff.

This is hard to write, but could the young man's body be lodged in the rocks somewhere?
It appears to be quite a drop down to the ocean....

Oh gawd that sounds so awful, please forgive me.

Nope. Lots and lots of people looking. I was one of them. Helicopters. Climbers. Divers. And on land.

They always use the date the body was found as the "official" date of death, even though they know the death occurred days, weeks, months before.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It appears hey actually went off the cliff 12/23/16. Right after their visit to the liquor store and on their way to Big Sur.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Placebo
Back