CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Early in the thread someone mentioned he may have been questioning his sexuality, hence the reason for wanting to break up with his gf and having a lot to talk to his Mom about.

**IF** the theory is true, he may have made plans to meet up with someone in Buttonwillow. He was there an awfully long time to "hang out" without plans to do so.

The driving around the lake is really odd too. I'm not sure what to think... Looking for someone? Looking for a spot to pull over? So many possibilities.

I hope his parents get answers soon.

Funny enough, I usually find this to be valid but probably because I am a lesbian. (I hate this word!!!). But I don't feel it here although I could be off. I only have social media to go with and I can't speculate as I don't judge a book by a cover. No one would guess about me. Still, I don't think it applies here. :-)

I hope so too, but it IS someone, so who is it? And it's the second victim in the general area of Castaic in a week, that I've read about, whoever it is. Coincidence, or is something very strange going on?

ETA: this is the other one I'm thinking of Found Deceased CA - Martha "Marti" Myers, 59, Castaic, 5 Aug 2013 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community. Marti Meyers, age 59, found earlier this week. And I'd forgotten part of her thread included this link to a someone found in Gorman: http://scvnews.com/2013/08/28/body-found-in-gorman-detectives-investigating/, which as I understand it isn't very far away, 25-30 miles or so. Later identified as a male, but no ID last I could find.

Strange.

Yes, I at first thought it was a coincidence, but if this is a 3rd missing person...yikes. Is there any more info on Marti? Foul play suspected?

Taking a step away for a moment. I live in south OC and just want to add a couple of things that may NOT be relevant to Bryce, but may, perhaps, give a sense of some issues teens MIGHT have living here.

This is an overwhelmingly middle class and higher area. It's jokingly said that south of Anaheim and Santa Ana is the Orange Curtain, i.e where the ideal, money-based lifestyle is. Of course that is a massive generalization, but has some elements of truth.

It is also *AGAIN, GENERALIZING* a socially conservative, religious demographic.

Pastor Rick Warren's son recently committed suicide. It came as a tremendous shock to many in my local community, and to his credit RW did say mental illness was hushed up and should be discussed more, but *RUMOR* suggested there was another factor in play.

With that said, the high school drug of choice here is meth or heroin. I, personally, know of a graduating class in the last 5 years that has lost - to overdose - 7 young men. (At different times, and I'm not naming the school, but it is in an affluent area.) My neighbor's son has destroyed his brain with meth. He is now living next door, on parole, and collecting cans to recycle for a living. He is also bi polar, brought on by drug use.

There is a real, and very dangerous, drug problem in south OC.

Now, having said all that. IMO IMO IMO and as a total generalization: if a young man from around here had found himself in over his head with narcotics, he would be so very, very torn as to how to tell his parents. Expectations here are high. Academically and career-wise.

Or, IMO IMO a young man was questioning his sexuality, he would also be torn. Especially if his family basis was one of the rather conservative churches that dominate around here. SOC was/is - judging by the posters on many of my neighbors lawns - Prop 8 friendly on the whole.

Please take this as an overview by a fairly liberal outsider who has lived here for 10 years and is not religious, and not made of $, but lives here non-the-less.

I'm trying so hard not to violate TOS, but I hope I have posted a couple of elements to consider in any OC case.

Yup. That was one of the first things on my mind, I just didn't want to say it. That part of CA is on a totally different wavelength than the majority of the state and if this had to do with his sexuality, or mental problems etc. and the mindset of the OC could be a trigger.

Yes, I at first thought it was a coincidence, but if this is a 3rd missing person...yikes. Is there any more info on Marti? Foul play suspected?

No more info on Marti. The family is not releasing any further details at this time. I do not get the impression that foul play is involved but I could be wrong.

I agree 100% with you. I was trying to give an overview, without violating TOS, as to potential stressors. I have not lived in Chicago, but your comment made me think.

I am as guilty as everyone else in assuming a locale = beliefs. I am most def not an OC Housewife or a Saddleback believer.Thank you for pointing that out.

Just got home from work. I'm shocked by today's events. I was so hoping Bryce would be found today, alive. No matter who this poor soul is, it's someones loved one. I need to go back and catch up on all the posts. Very sad indeed.

Yup. That was one of the first things on my mind, I just didn't want to say it. That part of CA is on a totally different wavelength than the majority of the state and if this had to do with his sexuality, or mental problems etc. and the mindset of the OC could be a trigger.

Bryce graduated from H.S. in Naperville IL. He just recently moved with his family to Laguna Nigel.

Wait - I missed it, what does chitown have to do with this? That's my turf lol so Im perked up on that comment.

Regarding the bit about drugs; many kids are now dabbling in the drugs I enjoyed in the 90's aka opiates. Pills were all the rage until the DEA got pretty harsh on that and the costs sky rocketed along with people's usage. It became easier and more economical to do heroin because it's dirt cheap compared to even 1 oxy or a roxy. Put it this way; one bindle of smack is 10.00. 1 oxy or roxy 80 (the instant release - snort or injectable kind) is a 1.00 per milligram. So an oxy 80 is 80.00. that's 8 bags of heroin, the avg addict shoots 4-6 a day and it's more potent than a pill. You are going to see a surge in street drugs with a decrease of availability in the pharmies most got addicted to. People don't know how to use street drugs when they first transition over and it accounts for many overdoses. That and people using subs and methadone to get high and mixing them with benzo's as well.

I found it telling that it was noted "A" pill. I know this is going to sound stupid but .. who buys 1 pill? and of speed? When you speed you always require "more" and you lose all perception of time. I just found that factoid really strange. It must've been a high dosage if he was noticeable in acting different or zero tolerance. Im wondering if he took it to facilitate the drive and make it without needing to stop or get tired when he got there?

rambling and I apologize.

Bryce graduated from H.S. in Naperville IL. He just recently moved with his family to Laguna Nigel.

You answered my question as I posted this. He was from the burbs? I always get confused when people claim chicago but really are 30 minutes away lol

I don't think they said that this is not connected. If it is they would not release that info to the press until a positive ID is made and family is notified.

SANTA CLARITA - Investigators say they don’t know if there’s a connection between the body of a man found burning near Castaic Lake early Wednesday and a 19-year-old college student who went missing in the area early Friday.

http://www.signalscv.com/section/36/article/104204/

“At this point, there is no way to comment on whether the two incidents are connected,” Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department homicide Lt. Wes Sutton said when asked if the burning body was that of Bryce Laspisa, who was driving to his parents’ Orange County home last week when he disappeared in the Castaic area.

Wait - I missed it, what does chitown have to do with this? That's my turf lol so Im perked up on that comment.

Regarding the bit about drugs; many kids are now dabbling in the drugs I enjoyed in the 90's aka opiates. Pills were all the rage until the DEA got pretty harsh on that and the costs sky rocketed along with people's usage. It became easier and more economical to do heroin because it's dirt cheap compared to even 1 oxy or a roxy. Put it this way; one bindle of smack is 10.00. 1 oxy or roxy 80 (the instant release - snort or injectable kind) is a 1.00 per milligram. So an oxy 80 is 80.00. that's 8 bags of heroin, the avg addict shoots 4-6 a day and it's more potent than a pill. You are going to see a surge in street drugs with a decrease of availability in the pharmies most got addicted to. People don't know how to use street drugs when they first transition over and it accounts for many overdoses. That and people using subs and methadone to get high and mixing them with benzo's as well.

I found it telling that it was noted "A" pill. I know this is going to sound stupid but .. who buys 1 pill? and of speed? When you speed you always require "more" and you lose all perception of time. I just found that factoid really strange. It must've been a high dosage if he was noticeable in acting different or zero tolerance. Im wondering if he took it to facilitate the drive and make it without needing to stop or get tired when he got there?

rambling and I apologize.

According to the timeline he told his gf he took the pill(s?) on Tuesday night, 24 hrs before he left on the trip. I'm not sure he was planning the trip when he took the pills... JMO but I think maybe he was withdrawing from the drug or continuing to abuse it because Wednesday afternoon is when he started 'trying to break up with' his gf and when his mom offered to fly up there and he said no. His friends tried to take the keys Wednesday night, and he took off shortly thereafter, running out of gas Thursday morning near Buttonwillow.

He may have taken more during the drive to stave off the need to sleep or withdrawals. His behavior (driving through the night, running out of gas, ??? whatever he did during the 10 hours he was in Buttonwillow) speaks to me more of amphetamine use than opiates... the officer who checked on him said he seemed "in good spirits" (uppy) even though he had tried to break up with his gf and apparently had serious things to discuss with his mother. Maybe he took too much, triggered a psychotic episode, causing the repetitive looping, disorientation and possibly the crash.

JMO, I don't know really. I need to get to bed, hoping for good news tomorrow. :please:

You answered my question as I posted this. He was from the burbs? I always get confused when people claim chicago but really are 30 minutes away lol

Hahaha AstroKitty. I didn't even see your question. I was responding to a post above about the pressures of living in the OC. I just thought I would point out he had been there a few short months.

According to the timeline he told his gf he took the pill(s?) on Tuesday night, 24 hrs before he left on the trip. I'm not sure he was planning the trip when he took the pills... JMO but I think maybe he was withdrawing from the drug or continuing to abuse it because Wednesday afternoon is when he started 'trying to break up with' his gf and when his mom offered to fly up there and he said no. His friends tried to take the keys Wednesday night, and he took off shortly thereafter, running out of gas Thursday morning near Buttonwillow.

He may have taken more during the drive to stave off the need to sleep or withdrawals. His behavior (driving through the night, running out of gas, ??? whatever he did during the 10 hours he was in Buttonwillow) speaks to me more of amphetamine use than opiates... the officer who checked on him said he seemed "in good spirits" (uppy) even though he had tried to break up with his gf and apparently had serious things to discuss with his mother. Maybe he took too much, triggered a psychotic episode, causing the repetitive looping, disorientation and possibly the crash.

JMO, I don't know really. I need to get to bed, hoping for good news tomorrow. :please:
oh i agree - I was just talking about opiates because a poster upthread had brought up kids oding.

If bryce was withdrawling (verses coming down) he would have been knocked out and sleeping. Sounds more like a comedown where the seratonin drops kick in.

No details so far on Marti, no foul play suspected although I personally think it's odd she was alone on a dirt/gravel road unless she knew where she was going.

It just occurred to me, if this person found today isn't Bryce, that's a FOURTH person missing in that general area. Bryce plus the other three. Again could just be coincidence but that seems like so many in a short time frame. The only connection I know of is the area, it just seems like a lot.

I don't think they said that this is not connected. If it is they would not release that info to the press until a positive ID is made and family is notified.

SANTA CLARITA - Investigators say they don’t know if there’s a connection between the body of a man found burning near Castaic Lake early Wednesday and a 19-year-old college student who went missing in the area early Friday.

http://www.signalscv.com/section/36/article/104204/

“At this point, there is no way to comment on whether the two incidents are connected,” Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department homicide Lt. Wes Sutton said when asked if the burning body was that of Bryce Laspisa, who was driving to his parents’ Orange County home last week when he disappeared in the Castaic area.

NBC is the only station that is saying it is unlikely to be Bryce. IIRC, they also declared that the body in Malibu Canyon was not Mitrice Richardson, and then they had to correct it. [It may have been another case, but I know there was a high profile death where the body was misidentified.]

Just watched the local 10 p.m. news on ktla. They said they should know for sure within 12 hours if the body found is Bryce or not. They also mentioned that he has a permanent retainer in his mouth, which should help with ID, along with the dental records that Bryce's parents provided.

I also thought they said it was someone on a motorcycle that initially saw the flames and tried to put them out themselves. Then they realized there was a body within the flames and called 911. I wish I DVRed it so I could play it back. I'll do that next time.

I also thought they said it was someone on a motorcycle that initially saw the flames and tried to put them out themselves. Then they realized there was a body within the flames and called 911. I wish I DVRed it so I could play it back. I'll do that next time.
I heard it was a bicyclist riding on that road that discovered the brush fire in the early morning.

I had heard cyclist, too. Just thought I'd mention the little discrepancy.

I agree 100% with you. I was trying to give an overview, without violating TOS, as to potential stressors. I have not lived in Chicago, but your comment made me think.

I am as guilty as everyone else in assuming a locale = beliefs. I am most def not an OC Housewife or a Saddleback believer.Thank you for pointing that out.
Hey, I grew up in the Valley, yet I was never a "Valley Girl"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time