CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On another thought, he did tell his mom that he was pulling off the freeway in that area to get some rest. I feel like if he was going to do something intentionally, that he wouldn't have been honest about his whereabouts. His mom could easily have gotten in her car and met him there. This all leads me to believe that this was not suicidal or intentional pre-accident. His mind set of course could have changed after the accident but at least before it happened I think he really was grabbing some sleep.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SBM: He could have told his mother that to buy him time and not have her think of coming up to find him. IMO

Voice are you sure about Kim and the keys? Did dragz or Caron confirm? Since I think at first people were saying Sean then Kim later and I thought we never could get the straight answer. Maybe I'm just recollecting wrong.

On another thought, he did tell his mom that he was pulling off the freeway in that area to get some rest. I feel like if he was going to do something intentionally, that he wouldn't have been honest about his whereabouts. His mom could easily have gotten in her car and met him there. This all leads me to believe that this was not suicidal or intentional pre-accident. His mind set of course could have changed after the accident but at least before it happened I think he really was grabbing some sleep.
RSBM
I don't think he told her where he was getting off. Just that he was getting off to sleep in a suburban area to sleep. I believe he was telling her so she wouldn't be bugging him about where he was or blowing up his phone.
I ran across an interview conducted with one of his oldest friends from Naperville. He stated that he'd heard Bryce was missing his friends from back home a lot. The friend said he was planning to visit Bryce in California. He didn't say when or if the visit was confirmed.
If Bryce went to Illinois, I can't imagine him or someone not getting in touch with his parents by now.
RSBM
Do you have the link to that interview? It's the first I've heard of someone from IL coming out to see him. I recall drag saying something about Bryce was supposed to go to IL to visit friends over winter break.

Men kill themselves in extreme ways like guns, laying on train tracks, walking in front of cars, driving off cliffs, i don't think they are really thinking about the pain. Women usually go the pill less painful route. Women usually threaten and men just do It.

I was taught a subtle variation of this, namely that men tend to pick more violent methods of suicide that tend to be disfiguring, where women tend to pick methods that are less overtly violent or don't disfigure their face. I don't know what real data if any backs this up and there are of course many exceptions.

I did have a female friend who had a single car accident at highway speed and didn't remember what happened. I always wondered, given her own depression history, if it wasn't an attempted suicide.

Still, in Bryce's case, I still think he was either trying to get to the ramp to ditch the car and disappear, or to ride it into the water as a suicide. In either case, he tries to get around the gate and wrecks. He then either continues on his plan to disappear - leaving the hopelessly rolled vehicle, or if he is planning the suicide route he either leaves in confusion or embarrassment to parts unknown.

If trying to disappear I can't believe he didn't take the laptop to sell, but maybe he was worried about being tracked or was headed somewhere on a plan where he didn't need much money or had some stashed already.

Caron confirmed Kim took the keys.

I'm afraid the very long list sounds like everything we need to really be able to solve this but to family or LE, it's all none of our business.

You've seen the posts here saying "why does it matter?" Some of the info is too personal or not even known to begin with.

RSBM
I don't think he told her where he was getting off. Just that he was getting off to sleep in a suburban area to sleep. I believe he was telling her so she wouldn't be bugging him about where he was or blowing up his phone.

RSBM
Do you have the link to that interview? It's the first I've heard of someone from IL coming out to see him. I recall drag saying something about Bryce was supposed to go to IL to visit friends over winter break.

This might be it?

"Friends, including Kigyos, last saw Laspisa just before he moved out West following graduation. Plans to visit their childhood friend were in the works, Kigyos said."

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/news/laspisa-NAP-09062013:article

Voice are you sure about Kim and the keys? Did dragz or Caron confirm? Since I think at first people were saying Sean then Kim later and I thought we never could get the straight answer. Maybe I'm just recollecting wrong.

We finally did get confirmation from either DRZ or Caron, that Kim's friend (roommate?) took away Bryce's keys, IIRC. I tried a hunt in thread #1, couldn't yet find it as yet.

On another note, DRZ did mention something that doesn't yet have a conclusion, or I can't remember the outcome. He said:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
@ dragracerz: Any surveillance tape at the Buttonwillow truck stop area of Bryce talking with anyone, other than a cashier at his/her register while paying for a purchase? TIA
They have tapes from a lot of locations but wont give details
He had also mentioned in thread #1 that Bryce was unusually quiet and something wasn't right when he spoke with his mom while in Buttonwillow. The suggestion made at the time was that there could have been someone with Bryce in that town.

The Buttonwillow quest may turn up some nuggets of insight. I sure hope so, or we are running dry here... :(

It actually is true; women attempt suicide more often than men however men are more successful at it because they use more lethal methods, they usually talk to people less about their feelings, and they act quicker on their suicidal thoughts (which doesn't fair well for Bryce if he was indeed suicidal.)
That part may be true, but I disagree with her generalizing methods by gender. Not all women use pills because of less pain, and not all men die by car crashes and such. I would've done it easily by car because I was driving alone, depressed, scared at my father's anger, and I had picked out a particular stretch of roadway where if I just didn't negotiate the turn and drove straight...

Caron confirmed Kim took the keys.

I'm afraid the very long list sounds like everything we need to really be able to solve this but to family or LE, it's all none of our business.

You've seen the posts here saying "why does it matter?" Some of the info is too personal or not even known to begin with.

As long as the family knows, they may have a chance to find him if he is out there. In the meantime, I am glad there is a big search planned for next weekend.

Just asked DH- he went to Sierra College in the 70's. They did not have dorms back then, they did not have fraternities either...

We finally did get confirmation from either DRZ or Caron, that Kim's friend (roommate?) took away Bryce's keys, IIRC. I tried a hunt in thread #1, couldn't yet find it as yet.

On another note, DRZ did mention something that doesn't yet have a conclusion, or I can't remember the outcome. He said:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post

He had also mentioned in thread #1 that Bryce was unusually quiet and something wasn't right when he spoke with his mom while in Buttonwillow. The suggestion made at the time was that there could have been someone with Bryce in that town.

The Buttonwillow quest may turn up some nuggets of insight. I sure hope so, or we are running dry here... :(

BBM
Here is the post in which Caron confirms that KS took away Bryce's keys (though I believe mom is the one who told her to give them back to Bryce.)

"She said he wasn't acting himself It's not my place to say why she felt that...so she took his keys"

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 August 2013 - #3

if i was worried that my son was depressed, perhaps suicidal and found he was spending hours in the same location, i would have gotten in my car and driven up there. this is why i tend to think she was more worried about drugs (having his car searched) and not his state of mind.

I've been thinking about this post for awhile now. Do you think B's mom may have issued a tough love action when she asked LE to check on B?
Tough love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If LE had found drugs in the SUV, B would have been arrested and whatever happened back in Illinois, would start over again.
And, if that's the reason KL called LE, B may have been seriously angry at his mom. We don't really know the extent/content of their conversations.
If KL was/is worried about drugs, I'm pretty sure LE knows that and, depending on the level of his involvement with them, would open up new possibilities as to why he's missing now.

SD stated that they were both (I think) vowing to straighten up their acts. You need something to be crooked first before it needs straightening. What else could it be? Neither of them need to diet!

SD professes to be a Christian. What often happens then, if considered born again, is every flaw or earthly habit (even those that are mainstream as in what everybody else seems to be doing) becomes illuminated when compared to God's ideal model for His children. Even though transitioning to God's way of living will be beneficial over the long-haul, it is often difficult to change and can make a person feel worse about theirself when they fail to live up to God's standards. It takes a long time to come to grips with and match your behaviors (probably not completely possible) to the standards of your new found faith. I experienced this firsthand because I faced these choices at one time.
If you have perfectionistic tendencies to begin with, living up to new rules can make you feel worse about yourself when you fail and you will fail.

So, I wonder if Bryce was facing any changes in his life and was confused or failing to live up to the promises he made to himself. Feelings of failure can cause one's spirit to dip pretty low.

We've been told that Bryce tends to be hard on himself, worries about making good grades and was getting into trouble at times.
It sounds as if Bryce and SD had some deeper issue troubling them as well.
Bryce texted SD, "you saved my soul". Is it possible that Bryce recently accepted Christ?
That's what it sounds like to me but only because I see that SD identifies with being a Christian.
Otherwise, it could be another way of saying 'thanks man' and not to be taken literally.

” Laspisa’s childhood friend, Jake Kigyos, said. “I have faith that he is safe somewhere out there.”

Laspisa attended Lincoln Junior High School and Naperville Central High School. He and his family later moved to Orange County, Calif., and he enrolled in college.

“He is just a normal teenager,” Kigyos said. “When he was missing the first day, we thought he got upset and just didn’t come home, but when they found his car crashed, and he was gone, it got serious. It is totally out of the ordinary, and not in his character to (go missing).”

To answer your question, my daughter was devastated to leave us and even more devastated to leave her baby sister when she was going away to school . So much that I picked where she was going and where she was living. She looked forward to every Tuesday for me to come up and take her shopping for food and spend time with her. She had never been away from me in her entire life and since I convinced her to go to school there and live there I promised I would visit every week. Yes it was hard. But after her dad died being away from home and her siblings was very hard on her.

No offense but what was caron doing on her daughter's dorm floor for so many hours last year?
Didn't she send the girl away to college?
What's going on, the smothering mother generation? Just strange imo.

That part may be true, but I disagree with her generalizing methods by gender. Not all women use pills because of less pain, and not all men die by car crashes and such. I would've done it easily by car because I was driving alone, depressed, scared at my father's anger, and I had picked out a particular stretch of roadway where if I just didn't negotiate the turn and drove straight...

You are absolutely correct, not all patterns apply to all cases but, generally speaking, more women tend to commit suicide by poisoning (pills, etc.) and more men tend to commit suicide in a more violent fashion (gunshot, hanging, etc.) There have been numerous studies on the subject.

To answer your question, my daughter was devastated to leave us and even more devastated to leave her baby sister when she was going away to school . So much that I picked where she was going and where she was living. She looked forward to every Tuesday for me to come up and take her shopping for food and spend time with her. She had never been away from me in her entire life and since I convinced her to go to school there and live there I promised I would visit every week. Yes it was hard. But after her dad died being away from home and her siblings was very hard on her.

Sorry to hear about her dad, big big hugs to you and your daughter. You sound like every kids dream for a mom.

Hugs caron, and thank you for your reply. You sound like an awesome Mom. I hope your daughter's doing ok. And you for that matter... this must be stressful on you both. I appreciate your input here.

Sierra college has semesters and students are currently in school until the last day of instruction on December 14th. The first day of the semester was August 26th (the same week Bryce went missing.)

http://www.sierracollege.edu/academics/academic-calendar/2013/08/index.php

Thanks much.
Obviously, college seems like it might be a significant issue then.
The 26th was a Monday, did he attend classes the first day?
I know he was reported missing a day or two before Friday, the 30th, when the SUV was found early in the morning.
(I know there's a timeline but I'm typing it because it helps me remember versus just reading the info.)

Thursday was a mess, right? Is that the day he ran out of gas and Christian saw him or did that happen on Wednesday?

Did he go to school at all - Monday and/or Tuesday? What about Wednesday?
Was it a long weekend due to Labor Day? Was Friday part of the holiday weekend? What did he tell his mom about missing school on Thursday? Did he miss the other days as well?

Thank you so much for sharing this very personal information. It just goes to show you never know what someone's situation or circumstances are. ((Hugs)) to you and your family.

RSBM

RSBM

This might be it?

"Friends, including Kigyos, last saw Laspisa just before he moved out West following graduation. Plans to visit their childhood friend were in the works, Kigyos said."

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/news/laspisa-NAP-09062013:article

Yes, that's the article. I was going to find it but saw you posted it. Very nice of you - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vagirl77