CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible, but why not keep the vehicle? Why not drive it to Oregon and then dump it in a lake there? I'm more inclined to think he was just trying to get around the gates, but anything is possible. I guess it is hard to know what he was thinking, because we don't know him.

I don't think he knew how he was being tracked in case you missed that. He was probably thinking it was LoJack since most people aren't aware that pings can be done so quickly. Even I thought it took 24 hours and I'm pretty tech savvy!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

My head is swimming in circles now.
Before I go, I want to add that I don't or never did believe Bryce was headed home on Thursday but I believe, due to early reports, that is what his parents believed and stated so to various media outlets and the sheriff's office people/LE. <respectfully snipped for space>

Thanks for all the early article links. I think it helps sometimes to go back and read the early ones before things start morphing - in this case and all others.
I'm with you, my head's swimming in circles too.

Hmm I hadn't thought about it that way before. You're right, he could basically hide out for at least the rest of the week and long weekend if he told everyone slightly different stories and they all thought he was somewhere else or with someone else. And IF that's the case you're probably right about him not being sure how they found him. If it were me and in my right frame of mind I would've assumed it was the roadside service call, but I also wouldn't have expected my Mom to find out about that so quickly. In a stressed out frame of mind or if I was doing something I didn't want people to know about (even something completely innocent but maybe embarrassing or whatever), I might get a little paranoid about being tracked down, talked to by LE, etc. I still don't think he probably crashed intentionally, but I can see him trying to ditch the car and then accidentally crashing in the process.

Jumping off of your post here...

Bryce is 19 years old and gaining some independence from his parents by going to school a considerable drive away from them. He went to his girlfriend's apartment to break up with her and it resulted in him having to talk to his mom to get his keys to his car returned to him so that he could leave.

He then runs out of gas, calls for gas and the roadside assistance man shows up and is talking on the phone to Bryce's mom.

The roadside assistance man then comes back to check up on Bryce, per his mom's instruction, and report back to her what her son is doing.

He drives to the area of the truck stop and the police show up, because his mom sent them, and they search his truck, at the request/approval of his mom.

Then, despite not wanting to take her phone calls all day, he is instructed by LE to call his mom and they stand there and verify that he is indeed speaking to his mother on the phone (per the John and Ken KFI interview.)

If I was already acting very strange and out of character, apparently not interested in speaking to my family or letting them know where I was, I could see the above pushing me over the edge (literally in this case.) MOO

The vehicle was registered/owned by the parents. So if he were to take a trip out of state I'm sure he would have still been reported missing, hence getting pinged and perhaps the family would report the car stolen if he was not answering the calls. JMO :twocents:

He could just toss the phone. No one would be looking for his car in Oregon, unless he got stopped by police for something. Eventually, he would have to get rid of the vehicle, but why not use it to escape to a new place? If he did dump that vehicle opposed to trying to go around the gates, he must have been way over the top emotionally stressed or depressed. He must have had a breakdown of some sort and hitchhiked out of there. It's all guess work at this point as far as what happened to him.

<respectfully snipped for space>

In other news, I have submitted the video to the family for approval. There are some audio issues near the end but my biggest complaint is the length - 5 minutes. More than twice the length I wanted. I think that's a problem when it comes to holding the attention of 18 to 25 year olds, who were my target for the video. But it's hard to cut it down once you get everything together and edited!

And some of you might get annoyed that, despite the length, I didn't add too much detail. But I didn't want to overload people. I just wanted to get Bryce out there and known by more people. I hope the video helps with that. If it doesn't require much editing, hopefully we can link it soon.

I can't wait to see it! Thank you so much for doing that Gitana.

Random thought just came to me... The blood in the vehicle, we're assuming it came from the accident or at least from that day, right? (at least I have been) But do we actually know how old it was? Could he have had a nosebleed the week prior or something and just didn't get it fully cleaned up? I don't know it if matters anyway at this point, I'm just trying to think of anything that might matter.

I am pretty convinced he was alone and in the vehicle at 2:00ish am when he talked to his Mom and the car was seen on camera right where it should've been based on what he told her. If the blood found was a few hours old I'm thinking it's either from the crash or foul play. If it was older, it opens up a couple of other possibilities in my mind - albeit unlikely possibilities.

They said the blood was in a spatter pattern which is consistent with a car accident and not a nose bleed from what dragz told us.

He could just toss the phone. No one would be looking for his car in Oregon, unless he got stopped by police for something. Eventually, he would have to get rid of the vehicle, but why not use it to escape to a new place? If he did dump that vehicle opposed to trying to go around the gates, he must have been way over the top emotionally stressed or depressed. He must have had a breakdown of some sort. He must have hitchhiked out of there.

He didn't know they pinged his phone. He had no idea how they found him. Could have been LoJack or his phone.

My head is swimming in circles now.
Before I go, I want to add that I don't or never did believe Bryce was headed home on Thursday but I believe, due to early reports, that is what his parents believed and stated so to various media outlets and the sheriff

~~~~snipped by me~~~~

This is a really good source of what has happened going back to the beginning. A lot of media reports have been less than accurate and you will find this to be a better timeline. Thanks for the additional info Woe!!!

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 August 2013 - #5

Now that I rethink all of this. The police didn't follow protocol. Protocol is 24 hours for someone to be missing. I wonder if they used the retired cop uncle (not dragz) to gain this leverage?

If he thought they wouldn't be able to consider him missing for 24 hours and therefore he wouldn't get pinged for at least 24 hours im actually inclined now to believe he thought it was LoJack and not his phone.

Why did police agree to create a missing persons report when he had only been "missing" for 5-6 hours from when Christian checked on him. The more and more I think about it the more and more I feel I would have been furious if it was me.

He's not answering the phone. He doesn't want to talk right now. Instead of giving him his distance she pushed harder and harder for answers and he pushed further and further away.

More than ever I believe he left intentionally. However like I said previously this DOES NOT mean he shouldn't be looked for as a missing person. He's 19 years old and probably made a huge mistake because of all these events and the fact at the time he wasn't of sound mind.

I'm going to try and focus now on maps and such and geotag every picture of where he has been previously and see where he could have gone. I think this theory makes the most sense based on the events that took place the 15 hours or so before the car was found.

You leave the laptop and cell phone because you're a tech savvy kid and you figure either one could be used to track you. That fits with the theory he was trying to disappear, IMO. You figure you leave them in the car and they all disappear in the lake. Rolling the SUV throws a wrench into all that.

Have you looked at the map where the SUV was found?
To me it doesn't look like a vehicle would make it all the way into the lake if it started down the slope from the tower thingy the way peeps think it was.

There's a whole other grassy area, parking lot, possibly a structure iirc before a vehicle would end up landing in the lake. I'm going by memory here and aerodynamics is way above my head but, to me, I don't think anyone would say, let's let the SUV loose here so it ends up submerged in the lake.
The SUV's landing was affected by a drop-off though. Even if the drop-off wasn't visible, the lake is still a good distance from that spot even if the SUV had kept going/rolling unobstructed.

They said the blood was in a spatter pattern which is consistent with a car accident and not a nose bleed from what dragz told us.

Oh I'd forgotten or missed that - thank you!

He didn't know they pinged his phone. He had no idea how they found him. Could have been LoJack or his phone.

How do you know that he didn't know that they pinged his phone?

Have you looked at the map where the SUV was found?
To me it doesn't look like a vehicle would make it all the way into the lake if it started down the slope from the tower thingy the way peeps think it was.

There's a whole other grassy area, parking lot, possibly a structure iirc before a vehicle would end up landing in the lake. I'm going by memory here and aerodynamics is way above my head but, to me, I don't think anyone would say, let's let the SUV loose here so it ends up submerged in the lake.
The SUV's landing was affected by a drop-off though. Even if the drop-off wasn't visible, the lake is still a good distance from that spot even if the SUV had kept going/rolling unobstructed.

True, but at night, and possible under the influence, or having a psychotic issue, would you be able to tell distance? IMO no. I'm personally not sure he intended to go down the area, but if he did, and he knew the lake existed there, which we have no knowledge that he did, then maybe it would appear the lake was just over the 'ridge' for lack of a word I need.

Maybe he didn't intend to go down the 'ridge', but was thinking of what he was going to do, or wasting time to meet up with someone. Though we've seen nothing that indicates he was in contact with someone else! He could have had another phone, but we don't know that. So if cellphone records, and laptop records don't show us those indications... well I don't know. Lost my darn thought train!! Grrrrrr :banghead:

The terms they used

"maximum depth of the reservoir is approximately 330 feet deep"

means deepest part of the lake, however, looking at the Topo map, it most likely is in that Dam area anyway. There is over a 200 foot drop off near the dam area, so the 330 feet deep spots most likely are all in that generally large area in front of the dam and extending out from the dam quite a ways.

It is actually pretty common to have very deep spots near dams on lakes. That has been my experience with my own sonar when fishing lakes with dams.

Also, from initial looks at the spot where he was parked, the sloping of the lake does look pretty severe all around the shorelines near where his car was parked, so I am assuming the slope is pretty severe.

Thank you very much for this information, it is very helpful!

The problem I see with that is how would a person have gotten him far enough out into the lake that he wouldn't have been found in the searches of the lake?

Well someone did go in to a bag full of clothes and left the bag outside of the car. What if bryce never was in castaic but someone had on an article of clothing that was his.

Jumping off of your post here...

Bryce is 19 years old and gaining some independence from his parents by going to school a considerable drive away from them. He went to his girlfriend's apartment to break up with her and it resulted in him having to talk to his mom to get his keys to his car returned to him so that he could leave.

He then runs out of gas, calls for gas and the roadside assistance man shows up and is talking on the phone to Bryce's mom.

The roadside assistance man then comes back to check up on Bryce, per his mom's instruction, and report back to her what her son is doing.

He drives to the area of the truck stop and the police show up, because his mom sent them, and they search his truck, at the request/approval of his mom.

Then, despite not wanting to take her phone calls all day, he is instructed by LE to call his mom and they stand there and verify that he is indeed speaking to his mother on the phone (per the John and Ken KFI interview.)

If I was already acting very strange and out of character, apparently not interested in speaking to my family or letting them know where I was, I could see the above pushing me over the edge (literally in this case.) MOO

Totally agree.

I also wonder if when Bryce said something like "we really need to talk". It may have been more like "We really need to talk about how things need to change to allow me to be my own person".

Did he have his own ATM/bank account or was it tied to his parents? Did he have any way to get cash without his parents seeing every transaction? If not, that would be extremely frustrating for an adult, even if a student, IMO.

Didn't he want to talk to his mom, because something was upsetting him? He had a long drive. Too bad he didn't talk with her indepth over the phone about his problems before he left to drive home. It seems his girlfriend and friends thought he was acting weird and took his keys. Seems like he wanted to drive off at that time.

IIRC I think he said he had a lot to talk to her about, not necessarily something upsetting him, although that's a logical interpretation IMO.

I know, I really wish he'd told her more over the phone before he left. I wish we knew more about what "acting weird" meant too. For example, was "acting weird" his girlfriend's interpretation of "breaking up with me," or was it say being jittery, slurred speech, groggy, being distant or aloof, or... ? I've never been clear on what exactly caused them to think he was acting weird enough to take away his keys.

I don't think he knew how he was being tracked in case you missed that. He was probably thinking it was LoJack since most people aren't aware that pings can be done so quickly. Even I thought it took 24 hours and I'm pretty tech savvy!

I must have missed it. He was being tracked? Why and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee