CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The PI's statements in the recent articles confused me. It sounded like law enforcement might have closed his case. So I'm just verifying whether his case is still open and active. I may be the only person wondering that, but I thought I'd share the info anyway, just in case anyone else was wondering.

I am very confused so thank you for doing that. I would like to get LE's confirmation that what was being reported by the PI is true.

I still think Bryce is deceased as his case seems similar to the Teleka Patrick case as with Teleka I think Bryce had a mental breakdown, fugue, psychotic episode that led to foul play or succumbing to the elements. I really wish there was some organized searches as I would love to help. I have some vacation time. I'm afraid after over four months with passing of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years most important holidays with no word this is a very bad sign. I really like the PI the Patrick family has hired. He is quite honest and doesn't BS. He is really on top of his game and doesn't come across as a social media hound but as a very good detective.

JMO.
I have to agree and for some reason, I keep thinking he may be in the lake. I know the later dog searches seemed to make it appear that he may have left the lake area, but I keep thinking about the very first dog searches that seemed to indicate he went directly to the waters edge. No need to re-hash all of that, and others feel differently of course.

I realize it is a daunting task to re-search underwater and to re-search areas around that large lake, but it seems that would be worthwhile to do if there was a way.
I know we all had talked before about those underwater cameras and with the depth of that lake, it seems like some sort of submersible camera would be the only good way to re-search the lake bottom area, focusing near where the vehicle was. If I had the means and a camera like that, I would focus around where the vehicle was and go out from there. I just keep remembering all the other stories where someone is finally found, even after initial searches did not find them.

I realize it is not easy to pursue something like this, when the outcome may not be what is desired. Hopefully, I am wrong and he is hiding out.

Prayers for him and his friends and family.

I have leaned towards Bryce being alive, missing voluntarily (albeit perhaps not in a good mental state), but I'm becoming less confident as time goes by.

Still, there have been cases of people missing voluntarily for long periods of time, so I'll keep holding out hope.

I do think that a more extensive search of the area around the lake wouldn't be a bad idea.

I read along on WS more than I post, but Bryce, Abigail, & Teleka are always in my prayers. Hoping they all are home soon.

Where on earth are you, Bryce?

But if he is/was in the lake, wouldn't have his body floated to the top already?? (Sorry, for that description) I'm hoping he's just "somewhere" living his life the way he wants...

But if he is/was in the lake, wouldn't have his body floated to the top already?? (Sorry, for that description) I'm hoping he's just "somewhere" living his life the way he wants...

Its a good question, and based on what I have researched, bodies sometimes do not surface for different reasons. Like one example is if they get snagged on something on bottom, or I think I even read that if the water temperature is very cold, then sometimes gasses do not build up enough to surface a body. There was a show I watched where a person went under the ice of a lake and since that water was very cold, the body stayed down. So, in a nutshell, I think it is possible that not all bodies always come floating up. JMO of course.

With regard to the search/get-the-word-out efforts … this is the strangest case I’ve followed!

Initial search and effort across the board
… then, extended silence
… then, Thunderclap get the word out
… now, more silence.

?????

What's next?

Would love to hear MKlaas and associates' opinions on this case!

I don’t think this young man is still with us. JMO

I’ve been thinking those break-up attempts were very, very significant … coupled with whatever he was doing in Buttonwillow … coupled with possibly feeling like he was being tracked / drug fleeced … I think he may have thrown in the towel with a zinger twist of see-if-you-can-find-me-now. Hope I’m very wrong.

Wish we would hear about more searching back near crash site and surrounding area. This is very painful to watch/wait! Feels like delaying the inevitable.

If I may, putting my SAR helmet on for a moment.....

1. I would get the topographical quads for the area Bryce went missing.
2. I would mark the quad with the tracking dogs scent trails.
3. Based on that, I would look to see if there was a definable direction of travel on one of the scent trails (I like the one going down to and over the spillway and appeared to be going back up the other side).
4. Based on the direction of travel from the PLS, I would extend that travel line out of the original search area.
5. I would then mark a line 20 yards on either side of that line until that line reached a major road, railroad etc...
6. That would become my new search area. While searching that area, I would look for obvious egress points such as fire roads, trails etc...that should be checked out.

I think that if Bryce wanted to drown himself in the lake, the center of the dam would have been the obvious place to do it, not at the edge of the lake where he would have to wade out.

The above would be for a small team of volunteers in the event a professional search team is out of the question.

As I noted before, I would see if I could find a private pilot who would be willing to do some low level fly overs of your suspected areas to see if anything of note showed up, and get the GPS coordinates for a ground check.

That's about all anyone here could do.

Thanks for your input. I really like hearing from the pros on here.

I've been following both Bryce's case and Teleka Patrick's and as much as I'd love them to both be found safe, I'm just not feeling that it's likely in either case.

Is DRZ still involved in whatever efforts the L family is doing to find their son?

Seems like for quite some time, haven't seen DRZ post here, there or anywhere re BL.

My sister & brother in-law live in Granada Hills. Not near Castaic. Strange. Thanks for all your efforts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's not that far from Castaic. Just a few minutes on the freeway. Given he size of L.A. county, it's really quite close.

Unless it got snagged on something. That was a holiday weekend with lots of boat traffic on the lake, so I don't know if that would have any impact on a body under water. Ugh

It seems that a missing man in Canada (Matthew Huszar)may well have been held up underwater for two years. Also I did some reading and it can happen. More often in oceans than lakes, but from what I gather, the lake in Bryce's case is especially large and deep.

Its a good question, and based on what I have researched, bodies sometimes do not surface for different reasons. Like one example is if they get snagged on something on bottom, or I think I even read that if the water temperature is very cold, then sometimes gasses do not build up enough to surface a body. There was a show I watched where a person went under the ice of a lake and since that water was very cold, the body stayed down. So, in a nutshell, I think it is possible that not all bodies always come floating up. JMO of course.

His disappearance took place during the hottest part of summer and IIRC the cold water theory was ruled out by LE enforcement early on.

Found an update news article online from the Naperville Sun.

A few things I found interesting (bbm):

• Quote: "After calling with his mother about 2 a.m. Aug. 30, during what was believed to be a trip to visit his parents from his college near Sacramento"....
    (me: That it says "what was believed" gives further credence to the notion that it was not certain Bryce had Laguna Niguel as his destination when he left Chico.)

• The investigator says she is receiving reports every day of possible sightings. (me: Good.)

• The uncle Brian David is quoted in the article, so he is still involved. (me: I think Quester was asking?)

• There was hope when a contestant on the "Let's Make a Deal" show looked like Bryce. (me: Whaaa??? Turned out either not to be him, or a moot point, since it was filmed before he went missing, if I am understanding it when it says it was taped in May).

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/news/bryce-NAP-01102014:article

Found an update news article online from the Naperville Sun.

A few things I found interesting (bbm):

• Quote: "After calling with his mother about 2 a.m. Aug. 30, during what was believed to be a trip to visit his parents from his college near Sacramento"....
    (me: That it says "what was believed" gives further credence to the notion that it was not certain Bryce had Laguna Niguel as his destination when he left Chico.)

• The investigator says she is receiving reports every day of possible sightings. (me: Good.)

• The uncle Brian David is quoted in the article, so he is still involved. (me: I think Quester was asking?)

• There was hope when a contestant on the "Let's Make a Deal" show looked like Bryce. (me: Whaaa??? Turned out either not to be him, or a moot point, since it was filmed before he went missing, if I am understanding it when it says it was taped in May).

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/news/bryce-NAP-01102014:article

I read that article yesterday and thought it was odd that Quester had just asked if he was still involved. Can you ask some more questions, Quester?

I am glad that the PI is clearing up some of the misinformation out there (i.e. them not knowing for sure if he was ever really heading to his parent's home.)

I thought the same thing about the story of the tip regarding the contestant on the game show.

Reports of sightings every day are good because it means people haven't forgotten about Bryce but (unless I am mistaken) none of them have ended up as valid sightings. Sounds like the PI is very busy following up on all of these sightings though, which I imagine is time consuming and disappointing when they end up not being Bryce.

Might be time to start taking more of a proactive role again and start some more physical searches around Castaic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3