CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see that little slip of a girl even being able to lift the lid on one of those tanks, let alone climb to the height they appear to be.

Interesting info on roof access and elevator equipment by an Orlando F at the following site:

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...Where-Missing-Woman-Elisa-Lame-191886411.html

There's one door to the roof that is alarmed but there are also 3 fire escape ladders. Those ladders are not secure and anyone can go up them from the 15th floor. I used them to climb on the roof during sun set as it was a nice view. Sometimes you would find someone living in the room with the elevator equipment. That door was also unsecured. Scary.

The body was removed at about 4:30 p.m. after an urban search and rescue team worked to free the remains while trying to maintain evidence, authorities on scene said.

snip

The water tank was about three-quarters full when the body was found, according the Sgt. Rudy Lopez of the LAPD. He said the tank's metal latch could be easily opened but added that access to the hotel's roof is secured with an alarm and lock.

snip

Longtime hotel resident Bernard Diaz reported flooding on the fourth floor at about the time Lam disappeared, saying he heard a thump so loud one night he "fell out of bed."

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...Where-Missing-Woman-Elisa-Lame-191886411.html

This reporter just spoke to detectives, so she might tweet more news soon, or put a new or updated article on myfoxla - http://www.myfoxla.com/

Gigi Graciette ‏@GigiGraciette
BREAKING: Just spoke to #LAPD detectives + sadly they have confirmed that body found in water tank at #DTLA hotel IS Elisa Lam. @myfoxla

Reporter's twitter page - https://twitter.com/GigiGraciette

I cannot find a layout of the Cecil Hotel. The closest I came is this:

http://www.expedia.com/Los-Angeles-Hotels-Cecil-Hotel.h920349.Hotel-Information?gclid=CJHv_uqTxLUCFdOHMgodkHwAoQ&semcid=13172-1&rm1=a2&kword=%20Cecil_%20Hotel_%20Los_%20Angeles!m.ZzZz.3350000067866.0.15609127952.%20cecil%20%20hotel%20%20los%20%20angeles.%20cecil_%20hotel_%20los_%20angeles&

It has 14 floors, but I'd like to know how many floors contain guest rooms and what is on the uppermost floors.

Since I wanted to ask if there were any helicopter flights in the area yesterday, I found this bit of information from the above link interesting:

Helicopter/airplane tours nearby
I wonder how close those helicopters get to the hotel. Initially, though, I was thinking mainly of traffic helicopters. Someone who had an aerial view of the hotel's roof.

Correction: After reading Sillybilly's post, I have to assume that 14 floors of the hotel are habitable. So, wonder what's on the 15th floor?

I can't see that little slip of a girl even being able to lift the lid on one of those tanks, let alone climb to the height they appear to be.

Interesting info on roof access and elevator equipment by an Orlando F at the following site:

does this mean...there are 3 other doors to that roof without locks? or what so ever? But being able to head there you would need to climb ladder?

Whoa. This is like some nightmare horror movie plot from hell. That poor, poor girl. What must she have endured being being disposed of like trash?
My heart breaks for her family. May she RIP & may justice be mighty and swift!

The LAPD told CBC News that the rooftop had previously been searched, though it's unclear if the water tanks had been checked.
[COLOR="Red"]There is no security camera on the roof.[/COLOR]

----------------------------

The LAPD told CBC News that its investigation revealed Lam had struggled with depression.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/02/19/missing-woman-body-found.html

BBM I wonder who was aware (residents, employees, past employees) there was no security camera on the roof????

Respect, Love, Deepest Condolences to Elisa's Family.
Love to Elisa.

I'm afraid this young woman may be showing signs of schizophrenia. This is a common age for onset. I pray she is found soon and SAFE.

I agree, I think its schizophrenia as well. I've been studying schizophrenia videos on youtube and I really believe that Elisa was hallucinating in the elevator.

I'm surprised so few recognized her behavior as psychosis. I live in an area with a ton of homeless, I'm from an area filled with them and I work a lot in LA where masses of homeless congregate. I'm friendly with many and have been since I was a teen. I know what psychosis looks like and I'm 100% sure that's what this gal was experiencing.

Whether drug induced or as a result of schizophrenia, I can't be sure but I'd guess it's schizophrenia.

She may have been taken advantage of by someone at the hotel while in a psychotic state, but I think it's possible that she got into the tank on her own. There are little ladders going up them.

The only thing that blows that theory is that you need codes and things to get onto the roof.

Btw, everyone was asking how the elevator door stayed open. Elevator buttons are at chest or chin level, not stomach or knee level. No one has to bend over to reach the buttons. Looks to me like she opened the little door elevators have that house security and help buttons. The regular buttons appear to be horizontal, at her chine level.

I think she pressed a security button that holds the door open.

May we proceed with Utmost Respect for Elisa's Family in our Upcoming Discussions (Re: Speculative Graphic Details)

I'm inclined to think that if she was having trouble understanding why the elevator shouldn't work as it should, that, somehow figuring one's way onto (what should be) a secured-access rooftop, and into a water tank enclosure, is just unlikely.

I've been wrong before, but pending the outcome of her CoD I'd be skeptical that any kind of fugue state might have her negotiating the mechanics of getting to the roof (if the access was locked) and then into the tank.

Again, JMO.

To recover the body, LA Fire Urban Search and Rescue used a power saw to cut into the tank to preserve evidence on her body and the tank.
Now, it's up to the LAPD to find her killer.

They've interviewed all the hotel employees and guests but will re-interview them as someone familiar with the hotel may be responsible. There is no public access to the roof; it's secured with a lock and an alarm.

Read more: http://www.myfoxla.com/story/21253523/police-find-body-in-cecil-hotels-water-tank#ixzz2LRS671bM

Los Angeles police investigators searched the roof of the Cecil with the aid of dogs when Lam was reported missing about three weeks ago. Lopez said he didn't know if the tanks were examined.

"We did a very thorough search of the hotel," he said. "But we didn't search every room; we could only do that if we had probable cause" that a crime had been committed.

snip

A cause of death is still to be determined by county coroner’s officials, Lopez said.

A locked door that only employees have access to and a fire escape are the only ways to get to the roof.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-body-water-tower-20130220,0,3005517.story

<snipped>
Quote:
There's one door to the roof that is alarmed but there are also 3 fire escape ladders. Those ladders are not secure and anyone can go up them from the 15th floor. I used them to climb on the roof during sun set as it was a nice view. Sometimes you would find someone living in the room with the elevator equipment. That door was also unsecured. Scary.

BBM
This absolutely freaks me out!
I agree with the sleuths who think this is an inside job - either someone living there or someone working there. I'm leaning more towards someone (or more than one) who works there and knows the building inside-out. Someone who knew how to control the elevator, who knew where to stand so as not to be seen on camera.
I still don't get the impression that poor Elisa was on drugs or having a psychotic break. I feel like she was nervous, but maybe questioning if she was just imagining things. I'm sure a lot of us have been in that situation - feeling like it might be dangerous, but second guessing ourselves.
Maybe she pushed multiple buttons on the elevator as a precaution in case she was being followed, but then felt silly when the elevator didn't work and she was approached by someone. Decided to take the stairs instead and then who knows what happened?
For those who think she may have been drugged, one story comes to mind. My step-mom was in a part of a city she lived in that she wasn't familiar with. It was daytime, so her guard was down. While waiting for my dad to pick her up, she went into a coffee shop, ordered a coffee, and sat down. She drinks her coffee black and after a while she noticed a funny taste. She looked around and realized there were all men in the shop and only one woman - the barista. Everyone seemed to know each other and at one point someone casually locked the front door. She stopped drinking the coffee, moved quickly and managed to get out of there. She was slightly drugged, but thankfully realized before drinking anymore. Anyway, perhaps if EL was drugged it was a similar situation where she trusted the person pouring her drink/coffee/tea/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli