Recovered/Located CA - Cecil Knutson (dec'd), Dianna Bedwell (inj'd), Valley Ctr, 10 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is ending up being a happy and sad case at the same time. It's amazing how long Dianna stayed alive ( we still don't know when Cecil died right? ) giving her diabetes problem. I wish I could just hug her and tell her how brave she was. Hoping she recovers and joins her family soon.

sent from my mobile using tapatalk

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/Man-and-woman-found-near-Warner-Springs-304872091.html

I will definitely pray for her. It would be horrible if this brave lady hung on for so long and then die. This has been such a sad story.

imho, I read the link on your post but can't find anything about the couple trying to walk out. Could it be on another link instead?

The couple survived on oranges and pie, and cups placed around the vehicle suggested the couple collected rain water, said Lt. Ken Nelson of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

Nelson said the couple tried to take a shortcut several miles from the main road and ended up stuck on boulders in rugged terrain.
"It was obvious that they were walking around. They tried to walk out two or three times but couldn't make it," said tribal police chief Dave Sossaman.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Two-People-Found-North-San-Diego-County-304871471.html

On behalf of the Los Coyotes Band of Cahuilla and Cupeno Indians, I would like to express our sincere condolences to the family of Cecil Knutsen. I would also like to send our heartfelt wishes for a speedy and full recovery of Dianne Bedwel.

We are a relatively small Tribe and members of the Tribe consider themselves family with all members. When we lose one of our own, it is felt by all.

As such, we sympathize with the family of Cecil and Diane.

Our Police Department stands by to assist the family in visiting the site as needed and the recover y of personal effects when they are able.

Again, well wishes for Diane's recovery.

Respectfully
Shane Chapparosa
Chairman

http://m.kesq.com/news/man-found-dead-woman-taken-to-hospital-outside-of-warner-springs/33199696

It sounds like Paul was trying to turn around or back up when the vehicle slid off the roadway.

We do know that he survived for a few days, maybe a week or more, because of the footprints around the car. Wasn't it about three or four days or maybe a week into the search before the rains started? Does anyone remember? Wouldn't the rain have washed away the footprints made before the rain?

It's amazing that Dianna has survived and I hope she can still fight, to overcome all the new issues that are coming up from her long ordeal. Thoughts and prayers are being sent her way.

Would it be corny to find the hospital she's in and send a card to say that I'm rooting for her?

Just checking in........I know that there won't be many details until the news reporters get out of bed tomorrow.

Dianna and Paul both survived as long as they could. His death and her survival is based on medical conditions and the will to survive. I can only hope that they both went to sleep that night, with Dianna waking up, but Paul didn't. The idea of her watching him taking his last breath is beyond description.

I hope Dianna lives to tell her story. It's a story that will need to be learned from<modsnip>

I remembered Paul/Cecil today and his service to our country. I pray he is resting in peace now and knowing he did all he could.

My thoughts and prayers for Dianna who hung on even though it must have seemed as if no one was ever coming for them. She is one strong lady and has been through so much in her lifetime. I hope her grief for Paul/Cecil does not make her even weaker. I also hope she can rest and sleep now knowing she is finally safe. She and Paul/Cecil were a lovely couple.

I cannot stop thinking about them.

I just saw a report on my local KCAL news. Apparently the officer who first spoke to her said she was very confused, and she asked him to check on her husband to see how he was doing. :cry: :rose: :candle:

Just wanted to send prayers out for Dianna!

JMO

I know that people have issues with LE, seemingly they can do nothing right, but I don't believe for one minute that they were sitting around playing "I've got a secret" instead of trying to help this couple. Yes, just like elsewhere in life, there are good cops and bad cops, but I believe that they truly are just trying to find the person/people they are looking for. I even saw the CHP getting bashed yesterday about notifying family. Where did they come into the case yesterday? We had the reservation police and the sheriffs department. It really saddens me when LE is blamed for everything - especially when the blaming comes from strangers to the case and not family. This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, just my thoughts on the escalating criticism of a very difficult and often dangerous job. It just saddens me.

On another note, I think that what they really have to worry about with Dianna is renal failure with such severe dehydration and her already being at risk for kidney failure with her diabetes. I'm praying that she is strong enough to get through this crucial period. I'm sure that Paul is watching over her..and that he did everything he possibly could to take care of her.

I know that people have issues with LE, seemingly they can do nothing right, but I don't believe for one minute that they were sitting around playing "I've got a secret" instead of trying to help this couple. Yes, just like elsewhere in life, there are good cops and bad cops, but I believe that they truly are just trying to find the person/people they are looking for. I even saw the CHP getting bashed yesterday about notifying family. Where did they come into the case yesterday? We had the reservation police and the sheriffs department. It really saddens me when LE is blamed for everything - especially when the blaming comes from strangers to the case and not family. This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, just my thoughts on the escalating criticism of a very difficult and often dangerous job. It just saddens me.

On another note, I think that what they really have to worry about with Dianna is renal failure with such severe dehydration and her already being at risk for kidney failure with her diabetes. I'm praying that she is strong enough to get through this crucial period. I'm sure that Paul is watching over her..and that he did everything he possibly could to take care of her.
I don't put any blame at all on the searchers or LE....but I can say I'm pretty upset that their cars GPS provider could not track the car and didn't they make the statement that the antenna was damaged or it was in a garage? They didn't say some areas would cause no signal...which seams to have been the case. I know it was not onstar but what ever company that is...I'm just upset. Had they been able to signal and pin point the car...They would have been found before a thread was even started here for them.

"Rest assured, we've got your back."

"...comprehensive safety and car care package offers peace of mind. In the event of an accident, no matter where you are, trained operators are standing by to provide assistance and emergency help."

http://m.hyundaiusa.com/bluelink/

Emily Valedez, KGTV ABC News, reporting from Warner Springs
May 25, '15, 10:18 pm et

San Diego Sheriff Department's, Lt. Kenneth Nelson shared that Dianna

"wasn't able to tell authorities when her husband had died, but an autopsy to be conducted by Tuesday could help answer that question, he said.

[...]

"was obscured by trees and surrounded by brush, making it invisible to helicopters that were conducting aerial searches"

[...]

"They were really off the beaten path. We were really surprised that the vehicle they were driving, a sedan, was even able to get out there," [...] "It was so rural that it took two weeks for even off-roaders to find them."

[...Dianna is still]

"hospitalized and hadn't spoken with authorities beyond an initial 10-minute interview."

[...]

~ * ~

Body of missing Fullerton man recovered
by Denisse Salazar, Staff Writer, Orange County Register, May 25, '15, 5:12 pm

They area they were found in was said to be

“at a very high elevation, mountainous and very thickly forested."

[...]

“I’m just so concerned with my mom right now,” Robert Acosta said in a short phone interview Monday. “To be in the middle of nowhere for two weeks is a lot given her age.”

[...]

Officials marvel at survival of Fullerton woman missing for two weeks
By Tony Perry, Los Angeles Times , May 25, '15

Dianna praised Paul for keeping her alive, when she was first found, and LE decided to let the family break news of his passing as she may have not have been aware of it. Mr. Perry goes on to write.

"The thickly forested area shields its secrets. When recreational off-road enthusiasts spotted the car Sunday afternoon, they were amazed."

[... they were in place where]

"even experienced law enforcement personnel who have spent years patrolling the area call “remote.” The dirt trail, Nelson said, “is a road to nowhere.”"

Cellphones are useless. There are few direction signs. The nearest road that would help a driver get to La Quinta is 15 miles away. The area is challenging even for four-wheel-drive vehicles.

[...]

"Los Coyotes police Lt. Lou Reed said the couple may have realized they were headed in the wrong direction and tried to turn around, only to get stuck. The car was headed east, he said, when it should have been going west.

“It’s almost unbelievable where they were,” he said."

[...]

Sorry for reposts, marked for reference.

The more I think about this situation, the more devastated I become. My heart feels broken. :(

Attachments

• Shares as of about mid-night in CA.jpg
    Shares as of about mid-night in CA.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 285

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members